Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Honest, I REALLY don't like 343's enemy design.

OP WarMachine01992

Back in the earlier days of Halo, enemies had depth to them. They could outsmart you and you could outsmart them, but they felt fair, and there was always strategy involved in killing them. In Halo 4, crawlers were alright but knights were stupid- just huge, cheap bullet sponges that could teleport whenever they wanted and instantly regenerate, or teleport to you and kill you in one melee strike. In Halo 5, enemies are even worse. They're all bullet sponges, and they just overwhelm you. All promethean weapons are homing, meaning you cannot dodge them, and even a lot of the covenant along with their vehicles have homing projectiles now, that you CANNOT avoid. Enemies can spawn right on you and teleport right to you, meaning your cover can be useless. Most weapons don't even affect prometheans, except for their own, leaving you, a SPARTAN, defenseless when they choose to teleport right next to you. When you die, it's often because there's nothing you can do, because the enemies were designed to be cheap, not strategic.

There was a reason why enemies in the previous games had slower moving non-tracking bullets- you could strategize and fight back without always being in cover and poking your head out to take one or two shots. The only enemies which used hitscan weapons in Bungie's Halos were the Flood, which died in very few shots, unlike Halo 5's ridiculous bullet sponges. In Halo 5, if enemies are focused on you and single you out, you can't do jack -Yoink-. Please for the love of Halo, make the right decisions in Halo 6.
I perfectly understand where you're coming from.
But, I don't agree.
There were a whole range of new weapons and movements capabilities added in Halo 4, and accuracy was always encouraged in tactics. I don't think I ever really encountered the bullet sponge issue in Halo 4. And not all Promethean weapons were homing. The most effective, the light rifle, wasn't.
The teleporting was a pain in that though, I will agree. It was too random.

Come Halo 5, the soldiers have inherited the teleporting ability, but in a new style that can be tracked, and are much weaker than the Knights from H4. And most weapons are quickly effective on them so long as you're at least marginally accurate. And especially with using squad commands to distract enemies or just lay more fire onto them.
And I personally LOVED the new take on the Knights in Halo 5. They ARE bullet sponges if you don't use accuracy and good timing, their presence on the battlefield demands higher priority. They are more dangerous across the board. But they also have big weaknesses.
Even the pistol could take them out quickly so long as you timed it right. These strengths in comparison to their weaknesses actually encourages more tactical gameplay to outclass your opponents.

Yes, the enemy types since Halo CE have changed hugely, especially since 4 and 5 with the Prometheans, but it had too, from a lore perspective, and personally I am finding myself enjoying these enemies.

I play on Legendary by the way with various skulls on.
Oh, and the WORST offense is how they managed to take all the fun out of fighting Hunters. Even in Campaign, they're no longer possible to fight solo. Their attacks are so fast and unavoidable, that it's just DUMB.
I perfectly understand where you're coming from.
But, I don't agree.
There were a whole range of new weapons and movements capabilities added in Halo 4, and accuracy was always encouraged in tactics. I don't think I ever really encountered the bullet sponge issue in Halo 4. And not all Promethean weapons were homing. The most effective, the light rifle, wasn't.
The teleporting was a pain in that though, I will agree. It was too random.

Come Halo 5, the soldiers have inherited the teleporting ability, but in a new style that can be tracked, and are much weaker than the Knights from H4. And most weapons are quickly effective on them so long as you're at least marginally accurate. And especially with using squad commands to distract enemies or just lay more fire onto them.
And I personally LOVED the new take on the Knights in Halo 5. They ARE bullet sponges if you don't use accuracy and good timing, their presence on the battlefield demands higher priority. They are more dangerous across the board. But they also have big weaknesses.
Even the pistol could take them out quickly so long as you timed it right. These strengths in comparison to their weaknesses actually encourages more tactical gameplay to outclass your opponents.

Yes, the enemy types since Halo CE have changed hugely, especially since 4 and 5 with the Prometheans, but it had too, from a lore perspective, and personally I am finding myself enjoying these enemies.

I play on Legendary by the way with various skulls on.
I only play on Legendary, and while the enemies are bearable in Campaign, as in I can beat them, it's not nearly as fun as the previous Halos, barring Halo 4. However, Firefight is just a mess. It feels so cheap and poorly designed, with more of a "bash your skull against the wall to see which breaks first" kind of feel. It's got no depth.
Oh, and the WORST offense is how they managed to take all the fun out of fighting Hunters. Even in Campaign, they're no longer possible to fight solo. Their attacks are so fast and unavoidable, that it's just DUMB.
Don't forget their their melee, you could be standing 10 feet away from their melee and still get hit for some odd reason, legendary or not.
Today, I actually had to help a friend (who is new to the series) beat the two hunters at the beginning of Regret on H2A. She handed me the controller, and I rocked both of them in less than 10 seconds. It was really lame. I think Hunters are better the way they are now.
I'll certainly agree that some of the bosses in WZFF are absolutely bullet sponges with no real discernible weak points to speak of. But I wouldn't really agree that WZFF in general is cheap and poorly designed.
It uses a similar, but evolved, take on where FF was introduced in ODST. At first, with the new WZFF I was disappointed that it wasn't more like the ODST version with enemies increasing in difficulty in simple waves. But thinking on that, gosh that would have become predictable and boring so quickly!
This new element of randomness, which still increases in difficulty, keeps it relatively fresh. When you come across players who actively want to use teamwork it gets all that much better.

But I still can't agree in relation to anything in the campaign.
I've only played it co-op a couple of times. In all of my solo runs I've never had the bullet sponge issue. Hunters, Knights, even the Warden, no real issue. Enough of a challenge to be fun and replayable.
Each enemy type his strengths and weaknesses that demand different tactics and to be accurate on different points.

Everyone takes the whole, Halo 4 and 5 are faster-paced games, thing in the wrong way, in my opinion. You can move faster, so can your enemies, but that doesn't mean that you can't slow down for a moment to aim accurately, direct your team, take stock of other tactical options available to you. The same goes for WZFF.

I normally finish in the top 2 or three in WZFF, and I would comfortably say that I do a lot less running around than a majority of my teammates and take the time to get good shots off to take down enemies more efficiently.

Just replayed CE for example, still love it so I'm not bashing, but thank god they evolved the way the Flood played to Halo 3! They could become such an annoying enemy type!