Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Horribly unbalanced matches lately

OP HZRDUS X

Is it just me or have matches been completely unbalanced lately in ranked Slayer? I know the population is low, but I am just at the point of walking away from this game. I just keep losing match after match after match. My last 40 matches could primarily be summarized as one of two options. 1) we are completely outmatched and get destroyed 50 to 30 if we're lucky, and someone always quits right away. Or, 2) I lead my team, put up 20 kills, and we still lose and/or my team is hot garbage and multiple players go super negative. I've had many games lately with killing frenzies, multiple sprees, and double digit KDA but everyone else on my team is dog poo poo. Don't get me wrong, I've had matches where I suck too, but I am usually positive KD and often lead my team or get top gun.

It's just getting super frustrating. I play solo, so maybe there are just not enough solo players? I don't care about my rank, but this season I have gone from Plat 6 all the way down to Plat 2 when I should be at a low diamond easily. I have won only 5 games out of my last 20 when I'm usually around 50%.
HZRDUS X wrote:
Is it just me or have matches been completely unbalanced lately in ranked Slayer? I know the population is low, but I am just at the point of walking away from this game. I just keep losing match after match after match. My last 40 matches could primarily be summarized as one of two options. 1) we are completely outmatched and get destroyed 50 to 30 if we're lucky, and someone always quits right away. Or, 2) I lead my team, put up 20 kills, and we still lose and/or my team is hot garbage and multiple players go super negative. I've had many games lately with killing frenzies, multiple sprees, and double digit KDA but everyone else on my team is dog poo poo. Don't get me wrong, I've had matches where I suck too, but I am usually positive KD and often lead my team or get top gun.

It's just getting super frustrating. I play solo, so maybe there are just not enough solo players? I don't care about my rank, but this season I have gone from Plat 6 all the way down to Plat 2 when I should be at a low diamond easily. I have won only 5 games out of my last 20 when I'm usually around 50%.
I totally feel your pain, although I'm in a slightly different boat. I ranked in three different playlists (highest was gold 2 in team arena). I lost pretty much all day to the point where I walked away and said screw it and went to mythic FF to get XP. It's just not fun. I'm at best a silver 3 (I know, horrible player over here), but I'm still getting matched against plat and diamond players. What's the point?? I get and totally understand I need to match against a player or two slightly higher so that I have a chance to rank up... But come on... that's just a waste of everyone's time. It's embarrassing!! I come to Halo to unwind and destress and have a good time with friends, and try to finish comms and what not in the game, but there's no point when it's a constant train wreck. And it's not just ranked... I tried for almost two hours just to get an arena win yesterday, and that was in the social playlists. It's just not fun... and the real problem is, that's the only place I can go to finish the few personal comms I have left. What makes it worse (to me) is the fact that 343 knows this is a problem, yet will do absolutely nothing to try and fix it, older games take precedence. But yea... it's definitely gotten bad...
HZRDUS X wrote:

You need friends to play with bro. Save yourself that stress man. Hmu anytime if you'd like.
a lot of people got what they wanted out of the game
Prewojo wrote:
HZRDUS X wrote:

I totally feel your pain, although I'm in a slightly different boat. I ranked in three different playlists (highest was gold 2 in team arena). I lost pretty much all day to the point where I walked away and said screw it and went to mythic FF to get XP. It's just not fun. I'm at best a silver 3 (I know, horrible player over here), but I'm still getting matched against plat and diamond players. What's the point?? I get and totally understand I need to match against a player or two slightly higher so that I have a chance to rank up... But come on... that's just a waste of everyone's time. It's embarrassing!! I come to Halo to unwind and destress and have a good time with friends, and try to finish comms and what not in the game, but there's no point when it's a constant train wreck. And it's not just ranked... I tried for almost two hours just to get an arena win yesterday, and that was in the social playlists. It's just not fun... and the real problem is, that's the only place I can go to finish the few personal comms I have left. What makes it worse (to me) is the fact that 343 knows this is a problem, yet will do absolutely nothing to try and fix it, older games take precedence. But yea... it's definitely gotten bad...
Yeah, it’s just sad honestly. Usually I am on the receiving end, but once in a while, I get matched up with all golds and a silver (no offense to lower tier players) and just decimate the other team. It’s not fun to win 50 to 20 either or to end up in a 4v2 halfway through as the other players just want a fun, balanced game. For some reason, 343 thinks one silver offsets a high plat or diamond player, and it doesn’t work that way.

I recently started playing Halo again within the last 4 or 5 months. I was hoping the population would be up with people in anticipation of Infinite. It seems people are playing as I find matches quickly, but they are rarely ever balanced. Now that I’ve posted this, I’ve had a string of pretty good matches but Infinite can’t come soon enough.
Yeah, true. I think it all just boils down to low population, but at the same time if 343 had given the game the proper attention, it may have a higher population.
HZRDUS X wrote:
Prewojo wrote:
HZRDUS X wrote:

Yeah, it’s just sad honestly. Usually I am on the receiving end, but once in a while, I get matched up with all golds and a silver (no offense to lower tier players) and just decimate the other team. It’s not fun to win 50 to 20 either or to end up in a 4v2 halfway through as the other players just want a fun, balanced game. For some reason, 343 thinks one silver offsets a high plat or diamond player, and it doesn’t work that way.

I recently started playing Halo again within the last 4 or 5 months. I was hoping the population would be up with people in anticipation of Infinite. It seems people are playing as I find matches quickly, but they are rarely ever balanced. Now that I’ve posted this, I’ve had a string of pretty good matches but Infinite can’t come soon enough.
Ya know... it's funny you mention that because I've been griping about the lack of attention the game has gotten for months. It's nothing new and it's kind of sad really because this game really could have been something if the powers that be wouldn't have had their collective heads in places it shouldn't be. Either way is no fun... but if given the choice, I'd rather be on the giving end of a lopsided match than the receiving end (but that almost never happens)... which is total crap...
HZRDUS X wrote:
Yeah, true. I think it all just boils down to low population, but at the same time if 343 had given the game the proper attention, it may have a higher population.
This thought really bothers me... You basically are left with two populations (that I've run into which is by no means gospel), the haves and the have nots. The people who finished everything and are essentially trolling those who a) aren't the greatest gamer on the planet and b) just trying to get by and finish everything before Infinite comes out or those who are simply trying to finish everything before Infinite. In my case, I have 12 comms left to finish (in total)... but they're all in my least favorite game types (breakout and strongholds). And I inevitably will get matched with the super sweaty try hards... acting like they're life will end if I just try to finish comms. The best part is, shortly after the super sweaty try hards wipe the floor with me... they send me what I affectionately call the "love letter", where they usually send me a message, further berating me and my gameplay. It's a completely miserable experience that I detest with no end. The sooner I finish them, the sooner I leave the game type... and go back to having fun. Buuut... as it stands, right now the only thing I do is get my wins and then spend my time in mythic firefight... that way I don't stress about the uber sweats...
I'm having a much different experience. 22 of my last 30 slayer games have ended with a point differential of 10 kills or less.
CAVEMANcr wrote:
I'm having a much different experience. 22 of my last 30 slayer games have ended with a point differential of 10 kills or less.
What rank are you?
Just to highlight a perfect example of this bs. Just went 18 and 8 and was the only platinum on my team with two golds and an unranked against 3 plats (two higher than me) and an unranked. How is that a remotely balanced match? Everyone on my team was negative. I was +12 KDA. We lost by 6. Their team was all positive except for one player.
HZRDUS X wrote:
CAVEMANcr wrote:
What rank are you?
Currently Platinum 3, but so far this season I'm usually somewhere between P4-P6.

I had a bad day today and seemingly couldn't win anything (1win & 8 losses). But even with my recent bad luck still 20 of my last 30 games have ended with a point differential of 10 kills or less.
I mean there's not much we can do about this or that can be done. There's such a low population in H5 that whatever you get is whatever you gon get.
TormentHCS wrote:
I mean there's not much we can do about this or that can be done. There's such a low population in H5 that whatever you get is whatever you gon get.
Yeah, I get that if people are playing in fireteams, but I get the sense that is not always the case, and the algorithm could do a much better job of balancing the match within the same lobby - just assigning players better. Meaning the same eight players but don't stick the two highest ranks together.

I mean it is what it is at this point. I'm just playing for fun not rank. I have been on a better streak lately of good games, so maybe the Halo gods were listening. Actually just took down an Onyx somehow in a 3v4. He deserved it too as he was playing with a "bronze" who got the 2nd highest KDA in the lobby against me, another Plat 4, and a low diamond. Our 4th quit in the first few seconds. Luckily they had two other players who were not good.
The arena matchmaking is a major flaw to!
If i can play for 12 ours straight, im false loading or searching for 10 ours and then having to spend 1 waiting and 1 our losing against cheating enemies or teammates. Garbage!
i understand, im a casual player and from star of the season im match with very skilled players against and with (i dont know wich one is worst), as soon as i got to rank (anything) i go to superfiesta big team or the featured playlist.
The matchmaking system is a strange beast. Normally if would prefer to throw you in an unbalanced match then let the more skilled competitors wait in the Queue for a prolonged amount of time. It’s unfair but they’re logic is an unfair game is still better then no game.
HZRDUS X wrote:
TormentHCS wrote:
Yeah, I get that if people are playing in fireteams, but I get the sense that is not always the case, and the algorithm could do a much better job of balancing the match within the same lobby - just assigning players better. Meaning the same eight players but don't stick the two highest ranks together.

I mean it is what it is at this point. I'm just playing for fun not rank. I have been on a better streak lately of good games, so maybe the Halo gods were listening. Actually just took down an Onyx somehow in a 3v4. He deserved it too as he was playing with a "bronze" who got the 2nd highest KDA in the lobby against me, another Plat 4, and a low diamond. Our 4th quit in the first few seconds. Luckily they had two other players who were not good.
Had the same thing happen recently, completely stacked team from onyx to a smurf bronze or silver. Annihilated us, happy that I managed to go +1 kd. Next game was a different story, added one player who was a high platinum and we beat them pretty easily. Made to do a lot of teabagging and body shooting when it was obvious we were going to win.

Only thing I don't understand about matchmaking is why players who are qualifying get placed completely out of their skill level? If a team is diamond, 2 platinums, and a high gold how is it fair to place them against 3 various platinums and a qualifying player who is -10 in slayer? Also been getting a ton of quitters right at the start lately.