Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

How about 64 or even 128 player multiplayer?

OP Faelinxe

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. ...
  7. 8
If 343i can implement a 64v64 all out warfare playlist, they would still need that competitive 4v4 playlist that is the heart and soul of Halo. Maybe there can still be smaller BTB maps that supports 16v16. Personally, I would become addicted to the chaos that ensues in 64v64 matches as long as the maps are fun to play on unlike Halo 4's maps.
I understand that 32/64/128 player matches isn't to the taste of everyone. What I don't understand is those that out right object the possibility for 343i to implement such a playlist. No one is saying that another playlist should be removed and replaced with these huge playlists. If you don't want to play in them, then don't do it. But why object if you know that others would like to? It's not hurting the core Arena Shooter part of Halo multiplayer in any way.

I fear the core community of Halo fans are to conservative to the extent that it makes 343i in many ways feel to shakled to do anything vastly different.
I think 16 players is sufficient, I really don't want 128 players
I would like to stick to our routes, and play 4v4. But I would be fine with a 16v16 for those who love BTB.
Kuddled wrote:
I would like to stick to our routes, and play 4v4. But I would be fine with a 16v16 for those who love BTB.
16v16 would be nice, but I'd like to see 32v32. Now that's big team battle.

Again, I really question peoples train of thought when denying playlists they don't like - No one is saying that 343i should remove other playlists, so how does a 32v32 BTB affect those who prefer 4v4?

I hardly play any Griffball, I think that playlist is extremely boring. But it'd be sad to see it go since many others enjoy it so much.
The concept sounds interesting to say the least but I am not quite sure if this would work with a Halo game. Personally I hope to never see the multiplayer surpass 12v12, that is about as high as I would like it to go but only for Big Team Battle. What makes Halo what it is today is that its a competetive shooter that challenges players to see who is the better player/team. This formula only works with a lower amount of players being in a single game at anytime, such as 4v4 or 6v6, as Halo is for the most part an arena type shooter (or at least thats what it primarily was). Having too many players running around takes most of the skill away and simply replaces it with people dying left right and center, as no one is good enough to survive a firefight of over 10 players attacking them. For a player to even suvive having 3 or more people attacking them at a single point during a match can be tough, but a strong player, who is equipped with some power weapons can accomplish this feat.

I really do like the idea of having that many Spartans on the battlefield, but realisticly it just would not work, and even if it did work, it would not feel like a true Halo game.
Kharik wrote:
I understand that 32/64/128 player matches isn't to the taste of everyone. What I don't understand is those that out right object the possibility for 343i to implement such a playlist. No one is saying that another playlist should be removed and replaced with these huge playlists. If you don't want to play in them, then don't do it. But why object if you know that others would like to? It's not hurting the core Arena Shooter part of Halo multiplayer in any way.

I fear the core community of Halo fans are to conservative to the extent that it makes 343i in many ways feel to shakled to do anything vastly different.
I agree with you there Kharik! Trying things new and different will make things fresh for the franchise. However, that is no excuse for replacing anything tried and true to the series. We must keep old traditions, and create new ones as well.

My friends and I were discussing this subject last night after reading a bit of these posts in this topic and he told me this concept was something like Arma on PC. Those of you who are not familiar with Arma, it is essentially an Open-World Tactical Shooter that involves vast landscapes and requires strategy and teamwork to eliminate your opponents scattered across the world. I, for one, have not played Arma, but the way my friend described it to me makes it sound very impressive, and is something I've always dreamed of. While Arma is a bit on the realistic side of things, sometimes requiring a teammate measuring target distance for sniping with a binocular bipod (I don't know what this is called), I think something of the sort centered around the concept of an Open-World Tactical Shooter for Halo would be a truly memorable and addictively replayable experience for BTB fans, myself included (albeit without being too realistic and keeping with the core Halo mechanics that make it so successful). Both Slayer and objective gametypes would be interesting to see in such a large-scale, war-type strategic FPS combat. I imagine transporting troops to this front, and reclaim that base using large aerial as well as ground UNSC and Covenant vehicles. The trouble I'm having is understanding how long these massive battles would last, how people would join in and leave them, and how they would ever come to an end. Would such battles take a week to complete like Destiny's Raids? I guess players could drop in and out of the battle at their leisure, but then how do you balance player count at all times? These are all difficult questions to think about. Let the comments ensue.
No. It works right for Battlefield 4 because it's been using the concept of large scale warfare since it's earliest games. Halo has always been about arena style multiplayer. Max 16 players works perfectly fine on all the Halo games that have supported it. 20 players could work but 4 extra players could change the game a lot for some people.
No. It works right for Battlefield 4 because it's been using the concept of large scale warfare since it's earliest games. Halo has always been about arena style multiplayer. Max 16 players works perfectly fine on all the Halo games that have supported it. 20 players could work but 4 extra players could change the game a lot for some people.
That then deserves the response "You don't have to play it if you don't want to". Why not have playlists of all different sizes so that those who want to try this new take on Halo BTB can have that opportunity, while those that prefer not to can still play the traditional Halo BTB experience.
16 v 16 is as far as I'm willing to be hopeful for. A massive 32 v 32 game or... Or... 64 v 64 would just feel like an amped up battlefield. Would it be fun? Hell yeah! But I'm not sure if it would have that halo feel we know and love.
32 players tops.

Way back in the day people were asking for 20 players during H2 dev with XBL in the mix and was up and running for at least a couple years. I remember the forums asking for over a few weeks about the player count since EGM had posted an article that illustrated (16 bit characters) a large city map with at least 26 players.

20 or 26 or 32.
Regardless of how important 4v4 is to the all sacred "Halo Core," you cannot deny that BTB is growing in popularity.

BTB consistently had comparable populations in Halo 3, Reach, and I believe it was actually higher in 4.

The poll about which H2A map you're most excited for (on the Community page) shows Bloodline with 45% of the vote. Stonetown is second at 19% and Lockdown 3rd at 15%.

Face it, big team is a growing and important part of Halo. I'm not advocating 64v64, but it's time Halo looked into making an interesting and engaging Bigger Team Battle. It would have to be a seamless mix of objective and slayer so as to keep things interesting and focused.

My candidate is Dominion or Invasion for the 16+ player game.

That then deserves the response "You don't have to play it if you don't want to". Why not have playlists of all different sizes so that those who want to try this new take on Halo BTB can have that opportunity, while those that prefer not to can still play the traditional Halo BTB experience.
wanna know why ?
how about you read the thread from beginning before posting ?
there are more than enough reasons to be against such high player counts in a major halo game.
SMOK69KMK wrote:

wanna know why ?
there are more than enough reasons to be against such high player counts in a major halo game.
Reasons (in no particular order)

Halo is a 4v4 game and anything larger is not Halo.

The maps would have to be bigger and I guess 343i can't do that.

The game has been small arena shooter forever and so it has to be forever.

If they make a bigger game no one will play the smaller game.

343i would have to devote resources to making this game, although right now they're developing MCC, Guardians, a web series and a tv series, starting on Halo 6, and maybe a movie.

You can't have that many players in a video game, even though it's been done on the original Xbox.

The weapon/vehicle balance would have to be recalculated, and 343i can't do that.

I don't like that kind of game, and you shouldn't, either.

If I'm on a team of 32 I won't stand out.

There's no way I can pay attention to what the other 31/63 players are doing, and there's no way I can get all those players to listen to me.

A 128-player game could only be a slayer game. That's the only game 343i knows how to do.

People that want a large player count game just want a higher player count game and should just play BF, because they apparently haven't made it clear that they want a large player count Halo game.

How would it work? I can't figure it out so it must be impossible.

The matchmaking would have to be exactly like what we're used to, and it wouldn't work. Since 343i is incapable of developing a different matchmaking system for a different kind of game, there's no way it could happen.

A Halo game with more than 16 players will be the demise of the franchise. They'll never sell another game, book, comic, toy, t-shirt ever again.

They did something different with Reach and H4 and look how badly they screwed those up. Trying anything different, therefore, will always result in disaster so they should just stick to what was never considered a disaster, which is what I happen to like anyway. BTW I never heard of halo2sucks.com.

There's more, but they're pretty much like these.
SMOK69KMK wrote:

wanna know why ?

343i would have to devote resources to making this game, although right now they're developing MCC, Guardians, a web series and a tv series, starting on Halo 6, and maybe a movie.

You can't have that many players in a video game, even though it's been done on the original Xbox.

The weapon/vehicle balance would have to be recalculated, and 343i can't do that.

There's no way I can pay attention to what the other 31/63 players are doing, and there's no way I can get all those players to listen to me.

A 128-player game could only be a slayer game. That's the only game 343i knows how to do.

People that want a large player count game just want a higher player count game and should just play BF, because they apparently haven't made it clear that they want a large player count Halo game.

The matchmaking would have to be exactly like what we're used to, and it wouldn't work. Since 343i is incapable of developing a different matchmaking system for a different kind of game, there's no way it could happen.

A Halo game with more than 16 players will be the demise of the franchise. They'll never sell another game, book, comic, toy, t-shirt ever again.

They did something different with Reach and H4 and look how badly they screwed those up. Trying anything different, therefore, will always result in disaster so they should just stick to what was never considered a disaster, which is what I happen to like anyway. BTW I never heard of halo2sucks.com.

there you have it. the con's simply outweigh the pro's by far, so i don't see the point in even trying it.
sure, there are people who'd like that. but there are also people who'd like an mmo-halo.
heck, IIRC, i've even read once that someone wants a halo-racing game.

just because something is theoretically possible, it doesn't mean it is worth the effort.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
SMOK69KMK wrote:

wanna know why ?

there you have it. the con's simply outweigh the pro's by far, so i don't see the point in even trying it.
sure, there are people who'd like that. but there are also people who'd like an mmo-halo.

just because something is theoretically possible, it doesn't mean it is worth the effort.
You do know that I don't believe any of these reasons are valid? Not one.
Thats way too many in a match for Halo. Halo at core is 4v4.
Mr JVacha wrote:
Thats way too many in a match for Halo. Halo at core is 4v4.
More like 8v8 with 4 people per console! Oh Yea!
SMOK69KMK wrote:

wanna know why ?

I love you, Stardriver907. And it's sad that these are the actual reasons people have for objecting bigger BTB.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
SMOK69KMK wrote:

wanna know why ?

*lots of reasons* /Kharik

He was pointing out all the lame excuses people have.. None of those reasons are enough. A bigger BTB is possible. People do want it. 343i can create it.

Halo racing game? We came pretty close with the playlist Rocket Race. Regarding your other example: You can't compare creating a new playlist with bigger maps and higher player numbers with creating a MMO. It's like comparing apples and bulldozers.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. ...
  7. 8