Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

How are Halo 4's graphics better than Halo 5's?

OP Some dead cats

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
Halo 4 looked pretty damn good for the aging console it released on especially in cut scenes but Halo 5 looks horrible.
Not only has it cheated to gain 60fps but the textures look down right awful up close on most vehicles and on certain objects especially in the campaign and the cut scenes seem to be a step back from Halo 4's but only slightly. If you dare to tread off the beaten path of the campaign you will see objects in the background disappear and the whole landscape change for some reason which happens far too much in the opening mission. Not to mention the Warzone map Raid on apex 7 is by far the ugliest looking thing in the entire series with its far too bright colour contrast and for some reason no water effects.
Not to mention the game is on an xbox one which is obviously far more powerful than the 360 so why is this? I honestly have no idea but if any of you do please explain

Edit: I've been informed the reason for these bad graphics is 343s attempt at getting the game to stay at 60fps at all times which they have managed to do but at the cost of split screen and the obvious graphics downgrade which is a terrible decision as one of the main reasons Halo is considered a game in which you can grab a friend and play some split screen is now gone because of 60fps which no one actually asked for.
It's about time someone mentioned this as I've wondered it myself..
Co signed, If you go and look at the BTB maps in Halo 4, they are stunning... no comparison... H5 looks plastic in comparison
agree.
when the Xbox one was announced in 2013, I was waiting for a better looking Halo. Oh how disappointed I was when I played Halo 5.
I love the game just wish the graphics look way better
vRecN wrote:
It's about time someone mentioned this as I've wondered it myself..
I played halo 4 a few weeks back and was wondering how the visual aspect was so different. H4 had great graphics!
graphics are almost everything to me in games (that is why i bought an Xbox one) so i was somewhat disappointed when i played halo 5.
Waypoint does not help us because it looses threads from view all too easily. The old waypoint was much better. In fact this style for Waypoint is probably why don't seem to have an ARG running this time. Their is a Section 3 team mentioned in the Halo 5 credits so the guys were there still.

In the last couple of days Halo 5 maps are BAD and Dev Made BTB Maps ARE A MUST, 343 Pls dont ignore have both been raised and we had day after day of this when Halo 5 came out. My Opinion is well stated in these threads as are others who feel the same. Halo 5 was a huge letdown for me as quoted below

"I never felt I got anything like what I paid for Halo 5. Compared to all other Halo games it's content is so poor.

Halo 4 had set my expectations as at launch it had loads of multiplayer maps for masses of game types all Developer created. We got Spartan Ops each week for a while after release and pre release we got the Forward unto Dawn mini-series. We also got lots of Section 3 ARG content on Waypoint which added to the universe and kept things going for months as new codes etc. were found. And we also got a fantastic story and Terminals that continued until we got the Mendicant Bias 30 minute story from Gear Bear hidden in the video file. To me Halo 4 was pushing into Next Gen gaming but Halo 5 went massively backwards in this department. and we got next to nothing and 343i don't seem to realise you product offering is supposed to get better, not worse, over time

My Expectations were set by Halo 4 (and previous titles), dented quite a bit by the MCC debacle and now rotted to nothing after Halo 5.

I won't be in any rush to be a day-one buyer again unless that Steven Spielberg movie turns out great (cough, cough) "
graphics are almost everything to me in games (that is why i bought an Xbox one) so i was somewhat disappointed when i played halo 5.
Graphics are everything to you?... but you bought an xbox one...

The xbox one is the weakest console this cycle and is smashed by a half decent PC. If graphics are everything to you, why didn't you buy a PS4 or even built a decent gaming PC/ purchase a good value prebuilt (yes those exist).

All the xbox one has going for it is Halo.
I think H5 looks good. Obviously not as detailed but I think it looks better then 4 int he long run and will age better. Halo 4 had a very pastel and grey and brown colors H5 brought the colors back.
How I feel about Halo 5's graphics.

EDIT:
In all seriousness though, I think the graphics are fine.
Graphics are everything to you?... but you bought an xbox one...

The xbox one is the weakest console this cycle and is smashed by a half decent PC. If graphics are everything to you, why didn't you buy a PS4 or even built a decent gaming PC/ purchase a good value prebuilt (yes those exist).

All the xbox one has going for it is Halo.
maybe he's a massive Halo fan like myself, not one Halo game (before 5) was bad at all so there's reasons people bought an xbox one for Halo
Honestly, if the graphics looked the same as CE, I'd still play it. Graphics are a plus, but I want more focus on gameplay, not visuals.
I had finally beaten Halo 4 this last month (I know, I know, I'm slow, bought it used last year), and I was very much impressed with the graphics, especially those in the final cutscenes (pre- and post-credits). Then I watch the cutscenes for Halo 5: Guardians. Still very impressive, with great motion capture and FPS (frames per second, durr). But there definitely is...something...about the overall graphics of Halo 5 that make it look strange compared to Halo 4. I'd suggest it's how 343i took the shiny and color factor of Halo 4 and upped them up a notch in 5, therefore resulting an almost fake/plastic look during general gameplay.

NOTE: I own Halo 4 on Xbox 360 (don't own an XB1 yet), and I am saying that overall the graphics/graphical look of H4 looks better than H5. It certainly was pushing the limits of the 360, we can agree on that.
Honestly, if the graphics looked the same as CE, I'd still play it. Graphics are a plus, but I want more focus on gameplay, not visuals.
I agree a brilliant game can have bad graphics but with Halo 5's budget, time and talented team there is no excuse especially when it looks far worse than the previous Halo from 2012 and on a weaker console
You're right OP. I miss the Halo 4 graphics. None of this plastic crap.
Halo 4 had better graphics and still had split screen. The reason why Halo 5 looks so bad is that 343i was obsessed with having 60 fps, which no one even gives a wank about anyways.
I must restore my gaming PC to play Halo 6 on it. If it ever came to the PC via xbox play anywhere. And I hope it does. lol
Halo 4 had better graphics and still had split screen. The reason why Halo 5 looks so bad is that 343i was obsessed with having 60 fps, which no one even gives a wank about anyways.
oh yea it probably is that i forgot all about that, I despise 343 sometimes i really do
Halo 5 really showcased how weak the Xbox one really is. Halo 4 looked better on an 11 year old console than halo 5 on a 3 year old console. Before I get told that the downgrade was for 60fps, I would expect that a next gen console would be able to handle 60fps all while still Having good graphics.However, If there is one thing that halo 5 does better than halo 4, it's lighting. But to add salt to the wound, the halo 5 beta looked better than the final game.
I know this is an old article, but...if Halo 5 looked like this, what would people think? XD
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15