Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

How are Halo 4's graphics better than Halo 5's?

OP Some dead cats

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. ...
  7. 15
Are these people dumb or just trolling?
In fairness 60FPS is so much better for multiplayer. It's much more preferred, to me at least. Worth the visual trade off.

Halo 5 has a bunch of extra stuff backend, which is why it can't do permanent 1080p 60FPS, even on the Xbox One. Also I'm pretty sure it was rushed a fair bit which means they didn't have time for the technical refinements before it had to ship.
Gianfra117 wrote:
I prefer halo 4 not only from visual point of view(at that time was amazing), but also from musical ( ARRIVAL AND 117, GREEN AND BLUE ETC....)and historical point of view
Okay, its official...sound, score, graphics, story, MP maps--pretty much everything was better in 4. The only thing I like about 5 is the increased agility and gameplay mechanics (Spartan charge, hover, slide, clamber, etc.).
I really do miss the Halo 4 graphics. Way better compared to Halo 5's
IrishLaws5 wrote:
You know what's funny about all this? Halo dropped split screen to reach 60 fps, but Halo 4 looked better, nobody asked for 60 fps, and they made a game that would be perfect for a 4 player coop campaign! That's irony.
IrishLaws5 wrote:
You know what's funny about all this? Halo dropped split screen to reach 60 fps, but Halo 4 looked better, nobody asked for 60 fps, and they made a game that would be perfect for a 4 player coop campaign! That's irony.
I am baffled as to why they wanted 60fps so bad, was it to look good compared to other games? I just dont get it
IrishLaws5 wrote:
Yeah, personally I can't even tell the difference when I'm playing.
unless I'm playing a split screen and destroy a phantom in a large open area, I cant even tell if the frame rate is high or low.
You guys are way wrong on what you are saying. Please research your topic before posting.

IrishLaws5: I personally prefer 60 FPS, because it makes the gameplay smoother, FPS does not equal graphical fidelity, nor does it impact how the game looks outside of smoothing everything out. A compromise would be this: 60 FPS when playing multiplayer, 30 when playing Campaign, splitscreen, and Forge.

Some dead cats: As I said before, and to IrishLaws5, FPS does not equal graphical fidelity, 343, and Microsoft wanted the game at 60 FPS because gameplay wise, it is far superior to 30 FPS, especially on a shooter. PC gamers have been enjoying 60 FPS for years now, and consoles are just now catching up.

TheFancyJedi: That probably means you have bad eyesight, no offense, anybody can spot the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS. Compare Reach to H:5, you will notice a significant difference. The Master Chief Collection games, H:CE, H:2, H:3, H:4, and H:3:ODST all play at a relatively stable 60 FPS as well, but dips down quite frequently depending on what is happening on screen.
fps=/= graphics h5 looked too cartoony because people complain in the beta that it was too dark so they up the brightness in the game and the art design is very different too if you believe that fps affect the graphics you must be very stupid to believe that
It's not so much that FPS affects graphics as graphics affect FPS. The more demanding a game and its effects, the more difficult/more power is needed to run it at 60 FPS, especially consistently.

I do hate that people complained about brightness in the beta, when that's what the brightness option is there for. The art style for Spartans and elites is pretty bad in my eyes, but at least the beta looked dark and detailed with reasonable lighting and saturation levels instead of the cartoony smooth over saturated bright mess we have now.
ODST Bag wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:
I am baffled as to why they wanted 60fps so bad, was it to look good compared to other games? I just dont get it
IrishLaws5 wrote:
Yeah, personally I can't even tell the difference when I'm playing.
unless I'm playing a split screen and destroy a phantom in a large open area, I cant even tell if the frame rate is high or low.
You guys are way wrong on what you are saying. Please research your topic before posting.

IrishLaws5: I personally prefer 60 FPS, because it makes the gameplay smoother, FPS does not equal graphical fidelity, nor does it impact how the game looks outside of smoothing everything out. A compromise would be this: 60 FPS when playing multiplayer, 30 when playing Campaign, splitscreen, and Forge.

Some dead cats: As I said before, and to IrishLaws5, FPS does not equal graphical fidelity, 343, and Microsoft wanted the game at 60 FPS because gameplay wise, it is far superior to 30 FPS, especially on a shooter. PC gamers have been enjoying 60 FPS for years now, and consoles are just now catching up.

TheFancyJedi: That probably means you have bad eyesight, no offense, anybody can spot the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS. Compare Reach to H:5, you will notice a significant difference. The Master Chief Collection games, H:CE, H:2, H:3, H:4, and H:3:ODST all play at a relatively stable 60 FPS as well, but dips down quite frequently depending on what is happening on screen.
i am fully aware fps doesnt affect the overall graphics, what i'm trying to say is that they focused too much on hitting 60fps but by doing this they seemed to throw other things out such as split screen and large open levels
Honestly, if the graphics looked the same as CE, I'd still play it. Graphics are a plus, but I want more focus on gameplay, not visuals.
It would be nice, though, if progressive installments in the series didn't take steps so far back that their predecessor LITERALLY looks better than the new game. Fire up Halo 4 on the MCC and take a look at how crisp those textures are, how much more effective the AA is (if there IS any AA in Halo 5) and just the general look of everything seems so much cleaner cut. And let's not forget how Halo 5 added the "If a teammate or enemy is more than 20 yards away from you, they suddenly get 20 frames per second, 'Mr. Game and Watch'-style animations"... Just look at people's little legs, especially from the respawn view in any WZ game, it's pathetic.
graphics are almost everything to me in games (that is why i bought an Xbox one) so i was somewhat disappointed when i played halo 5.
Graphics are everything to you?... but you bought an xbox one...

The xbox one is the weakest console this cycle and is smashed by a half decent PC. If graphics are everything to you, why didn't you buy a PS4 or even built a decent gaming PC/ purchase a good value prebuilt (yes those exist).

All the xbox one has going for it is Halo.
Have you not heard of the Wii U? That would be the weakest console of this generation.
HFish12 wrote:
graphics are almost everything to me in games (that is why i bought an Xbox one) so i was somewhat disappointed when i played halo 5.
Graphics are everything to you?... but you bought an xbox one...

The xbox one is the weakest console this cycle and is smashed by a half decent PC. If graphics are everything to you, why didn't you buy a PS4 or even built a decent gaming PC/ purchase a good value prebuilt (yes those exist).

All the xbox one has going for it is Halo.
Have you not heard of the Wii U? That would be the weakest console of this generation.
Yeah, but the Wii U isn't in the same 'hardcore' bracket as X1/PS4/PC, is it?
it happened because Corrine Yu left 343i.
Halo 4 looked pretty damn good for the aging console it released on especially in cut scenes but Halo 5 looks horrible.
Not only has it cheated to gain 60fps but the textures look down right awful up close on most vehicles and on certain objects especially in the campaign and the cut scenes seem to be a step back from Halo 4's but only slightly. If you dare to tread off the beaten path of the campaign you will see objects in the background disappear and the whole landscape change for some reason which happens far too much in the opening mission. Not to mention the Warzone map Raid on apex 7 is by far the ugliest looking thing in the entire series with its far too bright colour contrast and for some reason no water effects.
Not to mention the game is on an xbox one which is obviously far more powerful than the 360 so why is this? I honestly have no idea but if any of you do please explain

Edit: I've been informed the reason for these bad graphics is 343s attempt at getting the game to stay at 60fps at all times which they have managed to do but at the cost of split screen and the obvious graphics downgrade which is a terrible decision as one of the main reasons Halo is considered a game in which you can grab a friend and play some split screen is now gone because of 60fps which no one actually asked for.
Actually, lots of people asked for 60 fps and I don't think you can argue how much smoother Halo 5 plays compared to the other games.

That being said, the graphics and split screen are indeed terrible casualties. Hopefully Scorpio allows 343 to provide sweeter graphics for Halo 5 (only applicable for those who get Scorpio obviously).
Nah, rather how Halo 3's and Halo Reach's looks better than 343i's series? Why? It's all in the art direction Bungie kept improving upon till they left Halo. Bungie made something more military than 343i's cartoony.
not really h3 doesn't look that militarily it looks more cartoony
Old art style cartoony? LoL you haven't seen enough of Bungie's classic trilogy then, a pity. Made a heck more sense with their functional art direction than what 343i is dishing out entirely now. A good example is Halo Reach era Recon and 343i era Recon, Bungie's has more polygons and fits with the philosophy of what a Spartan is presenting.
Nah, rather how Halo 3's and Halo Reach's looks better than 343i's series? Why? It's all in the art direction Bungie kept improving upon till they left Halo. Bungie made something more military than 343i's cartoony.
Old art style cartoony? LoL you haven't seen enough of Bungie's classic trilogy then, a pity. Made a heck more sense with their functional art direction than what 343i is dishing out entirely now. A good example is Halo Reach era Recon and 343i era Recon, Bungie's has more polygons and fits with the philosophy of what a Spartan is presenting.
bungie old art style is cartoony starting with h1-3 all those games has cartoony art style i will not use nostalgia to critizised a game infact halo has always been cartoony
bungie old art style is cartoony starting with h1-3 all those games has cartoony art style i will not use nostalgia to critizised a game infact halo has always been cartoony
pretty sure that was just due to engine limitations back then, how on earth are any of the settings in Halo 2 'cartoony'? I sure do love that cartoony high charity
Cartoony? Overwatch is an example of Cartoony and I'm wearing eyeglasses.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Halo 3's graphics look stunning considering the year it was released
I think the reason why halo 5 had downgraded graphics compared to halo 4 and even the halo 5 beta, was because of the dynamic resolution and the need for consistent 60 fps. I hope that 343 can figure out how to balance between graphics and fps in halo 6
So... All the H4 kids are here in one basket, noice!!! But anyway, I always found Halo 4's multiplayer maps to be quite stale, and sorely lacks the Forge customizations in Halo 5. Halo 4, as someone pointed out for Halo 5, looked plasticky... I always felt 4 looked that way as your Spartans do look like action figures unlike in Halo 3, Reach or even 2.

The Campaign for 4 was good, it had some decent writing and had a touch of emotion, especially at the last mission. But, nevertheless, I felt that Halo 5's graphics were pretty breathtaking, I guess as an old Halo player, it does not take much to amaze me in the graphics department.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. ...
  7. 15