Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

How are Halo 4's graphics better than Halo 5's?

OP Some dead cats

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 15
Am i the only one that thinks halo 5 looks better than halo 4, especially in the campaign. And yes I have noticed bad textures in the game but there are a lot of things in halo 5 that look better. The reason there is such a plastic look in BTB is because the maps are made in forge.
odd indeed. my best guess is that its the 60fps. should help but maybe corners where cut or something. or it could be so they can say how much better halo 6 looks to halo 5 or something silly.
Even reach had good graphics. 5 isn't that much better than 4 halo 5 is really detailed and everything but it looks all plastic
Some of us prefer graphics over fps
Some of us prefer fps over graphics
To everyone saying "but 5 does look better than 4!" Yeah, it does a little, but not enough for when 5 came out. Halo 5's graphics do not hold up to modern standards. At all. Doom, which wasn't released far after, looks significantly more realistic than Halo 5. So do oodles of games that came out before. Older Pixar movies about cartoon fish have less plastic-looking environments.
To make matters worse, nearly every multiplayer map in Halo 5 looks awful from a non-graphical position. Only one or two actually look like places that actually could exist in a constructed universe. Most look like playgrounds. Say what you will about 4, but those maps had details. As did the updated 2A ones. Those, I will remember. The Halo 5 maps are completely forgettable, and I don't see any being considered classics anytime soon.
To be honest, Halo 5 seems like a step backwards in every aspect save for Forge and the way Spartans move around the map. Though the former seems to be used to justify not actually making real BTB maps, which is completely unjustifiable. And don't even get me started on the absolute storm of stupid that is the campaign mode. I know it'll never happen, but if they re-released 4 with 5's thruster and loadoutless gameplay, you'd have a perfect game.
343, I loved you after 4 and leading up to 5, but this game is so massively disappointing in almost every way that my love for Halo itself is being seriously tested. As a person who's known as the 'Halo Guy' in my dorm and who can rattle of John 117's birthday and height without looking it up, that's a lot of love, so I don't say that lightly.
Halo 4 has fantastic BTB maps, but if you are a great forger, you can make much better looking maps in Halo 5. if you don't believe me, check out my Saints Row 3 Penthouse remake, you can download it from my fileshare here, it is called "Bikini Beach".

Screenshots:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Atlantis%20XD/screenshot/4537904
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Atlantis%20XD/screenshot/4526481
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Atlantis%20XD/screenshot/4517679
What are you on about. your file http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Atlantis%20XD/screenshot/4537904 just looks like a cartoon. Halo is supposed to be set in the same real life universe we live in and what you posted looks nothing like real life sorry. Halo 4 had much better looking Maps MM Maps and the whole art style was exactly as it should have been. The Forerunner worlds we saw were amazing. Halo 5 Meh
To everyone saying "but 5 does look better than 4!" Yeah, it does a little, but not enough for when 5 came out. Halo 5's graphics do not hold up to modern standards. At all. Doom, which wasn't released far after, looks significantly more realistic than Halo 5. So do oodles of games that came out before. Older Pixar movies about cartoon fish have less plastic-looking environments.
To make matters worse, nearly every multiplayer map in Halo 5 looks awful from a non-graphical position. Only one or two actually look like places that actually could exist in a constructed universe. Most look like playgrounds. Say what you will about 4, but those maps had details. As did the updated 2A ones. Those, I will remember. The Halo 5 maps are completely forgettable, and I don't see any being considered classics anytime soon.
To be honest, Halo 5 seems like a step backwards in every aspect save for Forge and the way Spartans move around the map. Though the former seems to be used to justify not actually making real BTB maps, which is completely unjustifiable. And don't even get me started on the absolute storm of stupid that is the campaign mode. I know it'll never happen, but if they re-released 4 with 5's thruster and loadoutless gameplay, you'd have a perfect game.
343, I loved you after 4 and leading up to 5, but this game is so massively disappointing in almost every way that my love for Halo itself is being seriously tested. As a person who's known as the 'Halo Guy' in my dorm and who can rattle of John 117's birthday and height without looking it up, that's a lot of love, so I don't say that lightly.
Well said. You have very much the same feelings about the progression (or lack of it) from 4 to 5.
I looked up quite a few interviews from developers of other Xbox One games to see what they implemented and why. Almost without exception they went for 900p or 720p because it made no difference to how the game looked and provided lots more scope to do things on screen.

The titles I looked up included Ryse "Son of Rome", Sunset Overdrive, Battlefield, Forza

The whole idea of using MICROSOFT CLOUD to deliver Xbox One games was to ensure that's where the processing power was needed. Considering 343i is a Microsoft studio why they did not seem to make use of this in Halo 5. I'm hoping the fact Halo 5 was a huge development headache for 343i is partly why the office is moved to Redmond where Microsoft engineers will be on hand to show 343i how to use it. The console spec should not matter if we are all in the cloud. Seems we hear a lot less about "The Cloud" when games are being shown to us now than before Xbox One release.
Also, I prefer the 60 FPS goulash that we've got over the 30 FPS of older Halos. Sure, it's nowhere near a perfect, constant 60 FPS, but in Arena it provides much smoother looking gameplay at a fairly stable framerate.

Good graphics are always nice, but what we got with the compromise is not so bad that I want 30 FPS back.

60 FPS should be standard, but unfortunately the Xbone seems to be drastically underpowered. So, we get what we got. Some parts of H5 are visibly rough, but on the whole, it's not all that bad, and I prefer the trade-off.
it should not be standard if it means removing series defining features such as split screen just to get a constant 60fps, that's a horrible trade off not to mention the overall game looks worse because they tried cramming in 60fps so not sure how that's a good trade off to you but... ok
I think H5 looks good. Obviously not as detailed but I think it looks better then 4 int he long run and will age better. Halo 4 had a very pastel and grey and brown colors H5 brought the colors back.
they brought the colors back but they made them far too metallic looking... or something i cant really explain but it just looks damn awful whatever they did
343 needs to realize that we do like how it is at 60fps, but we don't want other parts of the game sacraficed. That's just not good business anyways. With the Xbox Scorpio coming out in 2017 there better be split screen and 60fps. They will have no excuse because that console will be able to handle it.
343 needs to realize that we do like how it is at 60fps, but we don't want other parts of the game sacraficed. That's just not good business anyways. With the Xbox Scorpio coming out in 2017 there better be split screen and 60fps. They will have no excuse because that console will be able to handle it.
Unfortunately they have to make sure the game will run well on both XB1 and XB-Scorp so unless it's released with an optional texture pack and graphic options similar to a pc game, it will still look and run poorly for all players
Co signed, If you go and look at the BTB maps in Halo 4, they are stunning... no comparison... H5 looks plastic in comparison
That's because BTB maps in Halo 5 are all forged
Well Halo 4 was not 60fps and not running at near 1080p. So that took a huge hit on processing power for graphics. The Xbox One runs Halo 4 at 60fps and 1080p. I think what people are seeing is the art style, not graphics. Pixels and lighting are much better in Halo 5 in my opinion and lighting is what uses a lot of the juice too.
they seem to be the same.
Co signed, If you go and look at the BTB maps in Halo 4, they are stunning... no comparison... H5 looks plastic in comparison
Just like Mattel's new toy line.
H4 had great creativity and graphics! H5 isnt too bad, but I definitely say H5 gameplay is much better than H4 but thats a whole new topic there haha
StillEuan wrote:
Well said. You have very much the same feelings about the progression (or lack of it) from 4 to 5.
Wow. I didn't know there were others out there like me. It's usually either "-Yoink!- it's Fine" or "I hate all of it, it's sucks".
Halo 4 was very impressive for its quality graphics. I know that the whole goal of 60fps did affect the quality. The graphics for me being a little worse is not a huge deal to me as the game play is incredible and made up for it in my opinion. However, Halo has always been a game to me in which I have enjoyed graphically. So hopefully next game they can make both happen. Oh also split screen please and thank you (the greatest feature previous Halos had).
One very noticeable issue to Halo5 is it's mostly horrible textures. If you look at the detail for example of the Halo1 on first generation Xbox and then Halo3 which was the first Halo for 360, you notice how detailed the textures are. Xbox one has 8gb ram so I assume some 5Gb usable for graphics. That's a very decent amount so why are the textures so crap. I get that it's running at 60 frames but does that mean we're then not allowed decent textures on this supposed next gen machine. From a far the graphics are decent enough but just plain awful up close. I just don't understand why

I would much rather 343 makes Halo6 campaign 30 frames on standard Xbox one with 60 for Scorpio. That would also give players an extra incentive to purchase Scorpio like MS is rather keen on happening. Gears 4 will also have 30 frames for campaign meaning it wont be compromised. I have a feeling this will be the case for Halo 6
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 15