Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] How could you bash H5: Guardians it's beyond me.

OP P40L0 X

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
Playing Halo since 2002 (actual release year here in Italy, oh: and sorry for my non-native english), big fan both of Campaign and Multiplayer, and I used to lurk these forums (along with many Italian Halo communities around) without posting often, but now, seriously, I have to ask you:

What's wrong with You people?!

How is even possible criticizing HALO 5: Guardians so much after all these outstanding informations, details, screenshots, videos and, holy jesus, we even played it for about 4 weeks in a row with a state-of-the-art Multiplayer Beta early this year?

I really want to understand your objective concerns if there are any, I'm not joking.

I would like to even dissect some of the hottest topics and see what really remains to discuss and criticize:

• GRAPHICS: How could you complain? -> Dynamic 900p/1080p right now + 60fps while still mantaining open multi-structured/vertical levels (the biggest ever created for Halo quoting 343i), with an ever greater sandbox thanks to new Spartan Abilities, 4 Spartans IA always there + lots and lots of IA enemies on foot or vehicles, partial destructible scenario AND a way better visuals, animations, art style than Halo 4 too. Even DigitalFoundry was really impressed at Gamescom b-rolls and materials. And game is far from completed like confirmed by 343: a lot of polish will still be going on until D1, and final resolution is not even decided (even if it's already super-ok now@rocksolid60FPS);
  • AUDIO: How could you complain? -> The sounds and effects were outstanding even with the January Beta, and are even better now. Music and Theme got back monks and Classic vibe along with new modern feel, with nostalgia and epicness all over the place. The latest 15 minutes soundtrack leaked from new Beta main menu tricked me thinking Marty O'Donnell was hired again and went back home! It was that intense;
  • GAMEPLAY: How could you complain? -> The Beta was the best Halo Multiplayer experience I ever had since Halo 3, in many ways a lot better too. And the game got a lot more polished from there too. Arena will be the eSport Nirvana for all competitive Halo fan, and the new Rank system is the best of the series for now. For Casual/Fun play Warzone will put Titanfall and Battlefield to rest according to latest Gamescom preview?
  • NETCODE/MM: How could you complain? -> Even 8 months ago, the Beta was a pleasant experience compared to MCC: load times for a game were already super ok, and games were smooth and lag-free here. Dedicated Server all along on any mode, no more P2P ever, and things in 8 months go a lot better too;
  • STORY: How could you complain? -> The Halo 2 vibes get me chills. Every character has a solid background, and events are set to be deep and well scripted since the first announce. HTT viral marketing was so hyping that H5 may be the best and deepest Halo game ever created story wise, it's not only "go there, and kill anything", no near close;
  • LENGHT: How could you complain? -> Campaign seems 2x longer than H4, and all points at the most ambitious Halo project ever made so far. 4 players Co-Op Campaign, gigantic and explorable levels, sandbox, 20 maps on launch, Arena, Warzone, Matchmaking in general, next-gen Forge, Social capabilities, eSport and in-game spectator mode. It will be infinite;
  • DLC: How could you complain? -> Any DLC will be free, for everyone and forever. It's the first time that happens for Halo, and that means that MM population will NEVER be fragmented, ever again (always snappy matchmaking and game joining, always fresh maps and modes for everyone);
What's left to complain?

Missing "Split-Screen"?
OK, I can understand that. It sucks not having it for the first time in franchise history, but c'mon: deal with it.It's not entirely impossible to see it re-implemented it post-launch with a patch, and it's only 1 bad point to criticize against 1.000 awesome points instead.

Sprint?
Don't make me laugh guys. We're in 2015, sprint is here to stay in modern FPS. And H5 is smart enough to still balance that since the Beta (not re-charging shields when running). So deal with it too.

What else? It's really just "Halo 5 will Suck!!111!!" for the sake of it?
NOPE, sorry guys! But Haters gonna Hate so hard this time that I had to tell you personally... ;)

Cheers,
-P
I love the way Halo 5 is shaping up but you gotta remember not everyone will share the same viewpoint as you no matter how good your reasoning is. People just have different tastes on what make a game good and worth purchasing. You're never going to persuade every single person to like Halo 5.
I love the way Halo 5 is shaping up but you gotta remember not everyone will share the same viewpoint as you no matter how good your reasoning is. People just have different tastes on what make a game good and worth purchasing. You're never going to persuade every single person to like Halo 5.
I don't want to persuade anyone.
I'm genuinely trying to figure out what's really wrong with Halo 5, but it's hard... :)
Lack of non-campaign PvE and no offline PvP rubs me the wrong way and in my opinion, quite evil.

EDIT: To fix this, the bare minimum requirements would be to allow Customs in Warzone and to get M$ to add LAN support to the Xbox One.

Until they do that, Halo 5 will be the most limited Halo yet.
P40L0 X wrote:
I don't want to persuade anyone.
I'm genuinely trying to figure out what's really wrong with Halo 5, but it's hard... :)
It's simple. Basically these "halo purists" are like old people, they believe that their was better than now, but they're wrong. If changes wasn't allowed in the world, then we would still be living in caves. What I'm trying to say is, they want Halo to be like Halo 2 or 3, don't get me wrong but I love those Halo games, but I want to move forward, and by doing so I have to adapt to what's coming, sometimes I don't like sometimes I do, with Halo 5 I like, but they can't stop change, the only thing those "halo purist" can do is to be civilized and give their opinion and ideas to 343Industries to make a better Halo, not making petitions to bring splitscreen back to Halo, it's not that simple, and it's not only about 1080p and 60fps, it's about the ambition to give the biggest Halo campaign yet, with a lot of enemy AI, bigger campaign scenarios, and more. I agree with everything that you said and I believe Halo 5 Guardians will be the best Halo yet.
Prepare yourself for a split screen argument. I'm not starting one nor do I agree with them but just be prepared.
It's simple. Basically these "halo purists" are like old people, they believe that their was better than now, but they're wrong. If changes wasn't allowed in the world, then we would still be living in caves. What I'm trying to say is, they want Halo to be like Halo 2 or 3, don't get me wrong but I love those Halo games, but I want to move forward, and by doing so I have to adapt to what's coming, sometimes I don't like sometimes I do, with Halo 5 I like, but they can't stop change, the only thing those "halo purist" can do is to be civilized and give their opinion and ideas to 343Industries to make a better Halo, not making petitions to bring splitscreen back to Halo, it's not that simple, and it's not only about 1080p and 60fps, it's about the ambition to give the biggest Halo campaign yet, with a lot of enemy AI, bigger campaign scenarios, and more. I agree with everything that you said and I believe Halo 5 Guardians will be the best Halo yet.
No, we just don't want a "Call of Titan 5: Destinyfield".

See how easy it is to make a strawman argument?
Lack of non-campaign PvE and no offline PvP rubs me the wrong way and in my opinion, quite evil.
Do you mean "Firefight/SpartanOps" missing? I think Warzone is a quit evolution of that, and like they recently announced there will be a "PvP only" Warzone variant they could easily add a "PvE only" Warzone variant too.
No offline PvP (aka: no Split Screen) sucks, you're right. But like I said, other than this major drawback, I see so many improvements and excellent stuff that's it's almost insane to bash this new installment, at least for now.

They even fixed the Collector's Edition with physical copy after the brief initial s***storm...
Celestis wrote:

Doesnt matter cause all your arguments are subjective anyway.
Celestis wrote:

It could be that simple, but it's simply not true.
Halo 5 screams Halo from art, to gameplay to soundtrack to eSport, and since the Beta came out 8 months ago too.
The "5" after the name is not there for pure case as well. It means something, it's "Combat Evolved v5" and not copy/pasted "v1.5" like most CoD games after MW1 for example
P40L0 X wrote:
Do you mean "Firefight/SpartanOps" missing? I think Warzone is a quit evolution of that, and like they recently announced there will be a "PvP only" Warzone variant they could easily add a "PvE only" Warzone variant too.
No offline PvP (aka: no Split Screen) sucks, you're right. But like I said, other than this major drawback, I see so many improvements and excellent stuff that's it's almost insane to bash this new installment, at least for now.

They even fixed the Collector's Edition with physical copy after the brief initial shitstorm...
Well, my arguments in the past were never so much splitscreen as they were no offline LAN. I have the setup at my house to play Halo 5 LAN, like 2 TVs and 2 Ones, but with no LAN support, that means my bullets will have to go through the internet and back again to kill my buddy, and if we lose our internet for a few hours (happens a lot in my hood) then we are effed.

My problem is more with M$ than 343 for this, but they are kind of the same company, so I hope they work on this so H5 doesn't become the most limited Halo yet.
P40L0 X wrote:

They even fixed the Collector's Edition with physical copy after the brief initial shitstorm...
Well, my arguments in the past were never so much splitscreen as they were no offline LAN. I have the setup at my house to play Halo 5 LAN, like 2 TVs and 2 Ones, but with no LAN support, my bullets will have to go through the internet and back again to kill my buddy, and if we lose internet for a few hours (happens a lot in my hood) then we are effed. My problem is more with M$ than 343 for this, but they are kind of the same company, so I hope they work on this so H5 doesn't become the most limited Halo yet.
Ok, that's a valid argument.
It can be assumed that they cannot just disable Dedicated Servers and enable LAN for offline matches (like Gears of War Ultimate does on Xbox One anyway) because Josh Holmes has already confirmed that H5G will use "Cloud Computing" too along with hosting matches (probabily for IA and physics in general), both for Campaign Co-Op and Multiplayer Matches as well.
That could possible be one of the reasons offline Split-Screen can't be done neither
P40L0 X wrote:
Halo 5 screams Halo from art, to gameplay to soundtrack to eSport, and since the Beta came out 8 months ago too.
The "5" after the name is not there for pure case as well. It means something, it's "Combat Evolved v5" and not copy/pasted "v1.5" like most CoD games after MW1 for example
It didn't feel like any Halo game to me. And I mean any. It didn't even feel like Reach, and it most definitely didn't feel anything like the core series/original trilogy/whatchamacallit. Art design doesn't look even close to Halo, it still has these weird deformed covenant and the unpractical Crysis-type armors. The gameplay has nothing remotely to do with the franchise at all, it's almost more jump'n'run than shooter at this point. And that's not even touching on all the "little" things like ADS or lens flare or splitscreen or countless other topics that I'm sure a majority of people on waypoint could write you an essay about. I've never before been this disappointed with a Halo game, maybe even with any game, period.
Doesnt matter cause all your arguments are subjective anyway.
Gameplay mechanics aren't subjective. But yeah, you go ahead, keep on telling yourself that.
H5 looks very polished. It looks very good for what they were trying to make. The problem is that I don't like what 343 is trying to make. If sprinting were the only bad thing being implemented, I could probably live with it. If ADS were the only bad thing being implemented, I could probably live with it. If Thrusting/ground-pounding/clambering were the only bad thing being implemented, I could probably live with it. However, all of these bad things being put in the game is too much to handle and I won't be buying the game. It's a shame too. Just like you, P40l0 One, I have been with Halo since the beginning. Halo 1 was a freaking masterpiece. In fact, I'm having a Halo 1 LAN this coming Friday. I waited in line at midnight on launch night to buy Halo 2, halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4, and MCC. Halo 5 is breaking that streak(they fooled me once with H4, they won't fool me twice). It's simply depressing to see a series I hold so dear getting ripped apart and butchered the way it is. Because of all these needless changes being shoved down our throat, we will never again see a true Halo game.
Celestis wrote:
P40L0 X wrote:
It didn't feel like any Halo game to me. And I mean any. It didn't even feel like Reach, and it most definitely didn't feel anything like the core series/original trilogy/whatchamacallit. Art design doesn't look even close to Halo, it still has these weird deformed covenant and the unpractical Crysis-type armors. The gameplay has nothing remotely to do with the franchise at all, it's almost more jump'n'run than shooter at this point. And that's not even touching on all the "little" things like ADS or lens flare or splitscreen or countless other topics that I'm sure a majority of people on waypoint could write you an essay about. I've never before been this disappointed with a Halo game, maybe even with any game, period.
That's what I'm talking about.
How can you say something like that after the Beta, all the info and footage till today, it's really waaay too much beyond me.
I don't want to force you change your mind but, c'mon, just open your mind at the possibility that your point of view is a bit over-exaggerated to say at least...
Celestis wrote:
P40L0 X wrote:
Then why exactly are you wasting all your time on its forums? I mean if Reach disappointed you, I hate to break it to you, but its been 5 years. And nothing changed. So I think its time for you to give up and move along, and accept you are in a very small minority of people, who can see something as small as sprint and bloom, and suddenly an entire game looks nothing like the name printed on the front cover
You know, OP, people have the things called MOTHER -Yoinking!- OPINIONS.

Crazy, right?
Willko wrote:
H5 looks very polished. It looks very good for what they were trying to make. The problem is that I don't like what 343 is trying to make. If sprinting were the only bad thing being implemented, I could probably live with it. If ADS were the only bad thing being implemented, I could probably live with it. If Thrusting/ground-pounding/clambering were the only bad thing being implemented, I could probably live with it. However, all of these bad things being put in the game is too much to handle and I won't be buying the game. It's a shame too. Just like you, P40l0 One, I have been with Halo since the beginning. Halo 1 was a freaking masterpiece. In fact, I'm having a Halo 1 LAN this coming Friday. I waited in line at midnight on launch night to buy Halo 2, halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4, and MCC. Halo 5 is breaking that streak(they fooled me once with H4, they won't fool me twice). It's simply depressing to see a series I hold so dear getting ripped apart and butchered the way it is. Because of all these needless changes being shoved down our throat, we will never again see a true Halo game.
Sprint it's not a bad thing (if balanced, like it was and still is with H5G).
ADS it's not a bad thing (if balanced and not a CoD/BF ADS like demonstrated with H5G Beta. That way it only adds freshness and more sandbox to gameplay).
Thrusting/GP/Clambering and more mobility in general: why are a bad thing? All those were already fairly balanced in the Beta, and they are much more polished and balanced now judging from the Gamescom build. They are a very refreshing elements for the gameplay, so much that levels and maps are much more improved in complexity and verticality too.

To me, and for now, all we know about Halo 5 reminds me on how a great franchise sequel must be made: respect and mantain the best core elements of the prequels, but start from scratch from there, adding new fresh and great innovation to the formula.

Following Celesting logic we were all still playing Quake III Arena and Halo would never be existed in the first place...
Renyoudie wrote:
You know, OP, people have the things called MOTHER -Yoinking!- OPINIONS.
They're not.
Opinions should form starting from valid arguments to begin with. Only after that we can start a discussion about different genuine opinions. But that's not the case.

If I come and say to you: "Earth is flat, I believe and prefer the Church point of view 4 centuries ago, no matter what anybody says today." there's nothing to discuss about.
It would not be an opinion. I would just be a troll, or crazy.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6