Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

How do I use these weapons?

OP Jdude311

There are so many power weapons in halo 5 that I really don't know how to use them. Like the I just that the Ad Victoram rocket launcher's rockets will follow your reticle, and that the rocket launcher will lock on to ariel targets, and also that the hydra requires you to scope to lock-on. Could you help me out?
Which weapons do you particularly need help with?
I'll try to assist you with the lock-on/homing heavies:
Ad Victoriam
Shoots 3 rockets, extremely powerful. You can guide these rockets by scoping in, and they'll follow your reticle. This rocket launcher doesn't have the lock on properties of standard rocket launchers.
Hydra + Variants

Small mini-launcher. To home, you scope in and lock on. Fairly simple.
Rocket Launcher / SPNKr Variants
These rocket launchers home in on aerial targets. Some of them, like the SPNKr EM are able to home in on ground targets.

I'm not completely sure what you're getting it, but power weapons have different homing affects depending on the weapon. Hope I helped out a little bit.
ngl even though im lvl 144 i don't remember/know how most powered weapons work. I just go in and yolo the times I do spawn in a power weapon. other than that I mostly spawn in vehicles cuz for me that's more efficient than spawning in a weapon.
I can help you with any and every power weapon in the game. Just message me on xbox and I will invite you to a party. Jump into forge and I can cover all the weapons and their properties compared to other counterparts. I can also show you req management, (what weapon is good at what part of the game etc.).
Some of the new weapons are pretty great. That convenient grenade launcher sticky cluster bomb thing is great (too bad it runs out of ammo so quickly). Some of the new weapons though I feel are a waste. Why did we need 2 rocket launchers again? Also, why is it that you can only ever seem to find Light / Forerunner weapons when you run out of ammo. I like the light weapons, but I don't want to use them for 90% of the game >.>
Walrificus wrote:
Ad Victoriam
Shoots 3 rockets, extremely powerful. You can guide these rockets by scoping in, and they'll follow your reticle. This rocket launcher doesn't have the lock on properties of standard rocket launchers.
Hydra + Variants

These rocket launchers home in on aerial targets. Some of them, like the SPNKr EM are able to home in on ground targets.

I'm not completely sure what you're getting it, but power weapons have different homing affects depending on the weapon. Hope I helped out a little bit.
Thank you, and do you know any other charge-ups or lock-ons for any other ones like the plasma pistol or the plasma caster?
Also, how am I supposed to get kills with them? I shoot someone with the plasma caster but the grenade doesn't stick or kill anyone!!! I throw a sticky grenade but it just bounces off.
You have to bank the grenades of the plasma caster in order for them to be affective, try shooting the ground in front of the enemy to make the grenades bounce to them, the explosive damage will do all the work instead of the grenades themselves, once you get the hang of it you'll be unstoppable! It's a two shot kill and bouncing grenades off walls to flush out and kill enemies is satisfying.
Jdude311 wrote:
Also, how am I supposed to get kills with them? I shoot someone with the plasma caster but the grenade doesn't stick or kill anyone!!! I throw a sticky grenade but it just bounces off.
The Plasma Caster has two firing modes:
  • Standard (tap trigger)
When firing the Plasma Caster in this mode, the shots have a fair bit of arcing, and will explode (with a fair blast radius) a short moment after they bounce off a surface, including an enemy Spartan. Use this to flush out people behind cover, and not for direct combat. It takes two hits to kill a healthy Spartan, though the blast radius of each shot can help. Treat each shot like a Frag Grenade - you can time when each shot can explode after they bounce off a surface by changing your aiming angle.

A steep angle (pointing towards the ground) will cause the shots to explode in midair. A normal angle (pointing forward) will allow the shots to travel for a bit before exploding.

• Charged (hold trigger)
After a short charge-up, the Plasma Caster will fire a stronger shot that flies much faster and straighter than the standard shots. Unlike the standard shots, these rounds will stick to anything. After sticking to something, the shot then explodes into 5 smaller submunitions in a random pattern, creating a considerable blast radius. However, there is a 3-second cooldown after firing a charged shot.

A Spartan will die instantly from a direct stick, and the shots can be stuck to any floor, wall, or ceiling. The charged shots can also mess up vehicles to some degree. Having a red crosshair will cause the shots to track enemy vehicles with a shocking degree of magnetism - if there is no obstacle in the way.

Try spawning the Plasma Caster (and its REQ variants) in Forge, and practice for a bit.
Let's see... Tricky weaponry tricky weaponry...

Railgun - difficult to learn the timing to be proficient. Use it on vehicles and bosses first before trying to hit infantry targets.
Plasma pistol - zooming gives you increased homing distance. Maybe obvious, but nonetheless helpful against banshees.

Sometimes the tricky part of the weapon isn't just how to use it, but WHEN to use it. For example...
The standard chaingun turret's best use is inside an armory. Specifically, for defense during warzone assault. Alternatively, early rounds of firefight when the game throws banshee bosses at you.
The gun gooses? Best used for infinite grenades.
Scout hogs? Great for staying alive longer, like when you're delaying am opponent from capping a base.
When your sight turns red pull the trigger :-)
I don't have enough space to describe how to use each and every weapon but you're welcome to message me anytime you need help with one or if you need a recap on how one works best. I love weapons in halo, like in halo 3 I'd dual wield plasma rifles and get kills, Halo Reach I'd use the plasma pistol and get kills and in H4 I'd use the suppressor all because no one else could and I just felt superior like they're spamming their BRs or DMR and there's me like "lol catch me if you can" they were all so used to fighting at mid to long range and I'd come out of nowhere. But yeah PM me on xbox or here and I'm more than happy to help
LethalQ wrote:
When your sight turns red pull the trigger :-)
Just because I love busting chops, it's the reticle that turns red lol. Not the weapons sight.
Walrificus wrote:
Ad Victoriam
Hydra + Variants

Don't forget that the Echidna can lock on without using Smart Scope. Thanks for that info about the AD Victoriam, I've been having a lot of trouble guiding them.
Walrificus wrote:
Ad Victoriam
Hydra + Variants

What!?!?? I've played 1 billion hours of Warzone and used 1 million Ad Victoriams and did not know you could guide the missiles. Thanks!

On a similar note, the descriptions should tell us this stuff, right? Not everything is intuitive.
Walrificus wrote:
Ad Victoriam
Hydra + Variants

What!?!?? I've played 1 billion hours of Warzone and used 1 million Ad Victoriams and did not know you could guide the missiles. Thanks!

On a similar note, the descriptions should tell us this stuff, right? Not everything is intuitive.
Yeah, descriptions are really lacking.
The description for Kriths Left Hand: "Advanced Beam Rifle that fires a burst of energy with each pull of the trigger."
I mean, I would hope it fires with each pull of the trigger...
Sniper Weapons:
UNSC Sniper Rifle:
You can zoom twice with this, if you are using default controls, after you zoom, to zoom further you press the sprint button (This goes for each sniper rifle in the game)
Headshots kill instantly, body shots take down shields
End of the Line:
This sniper rifle has a faster fire rate, meaning It shoots faster than the original.
Arrow of Time:
This sniper has a 6 Bullet magazine, but does less damage (Should still kill instantly with headshot though)
Nornfang:
This sniper gives you damage boost and allows you to kill anything with a body shot as well, this weapon isn't able to headshot, but still kills instantly from body shot

Covenant Beam Rifle:
Has different mechanics than UNSC Sniper, it has a battery clip that is 100%, But -10% For each shot. It overheats and stops working for a second if you shoot enough bullets too fast (Same thing as sniper rifle, bodyshot headshot thing)
Halo 2 Beam Rifle:
Complete copy of beam rifle
Halo 2 Beam Rifle Alpha:
Able to fire more before overheat, -5% Battery when shot
Halo 2 Beam Rifle Delta:
Makes small void when shot, finishing off anyone who you hit with a body shot

Promethean Binary Rifle:
Magazine of 2, when shot it is a laser that lasts about a second, hold it on enemy players to kill them
(Forgot the name of this one):
Has magazine of 4 instead of 2
Twin Jewels of Mathrillean:
Shoots 2 lasers in one, dealing twice the damage

Thanks for reading this long @55 Hopefully helpful, comment
Sniper Weapons:
UNSC Sniper Rifle:
You can zoom twice with this, if you are using default controls, after you zoom, to zoom further you press the sprint button (This goes for each sniper rifle in the game)
Headshots kill instantly, body shots take down shields
End of the Line:
This sniper rifle has a faster fire rate, meaning It shoots faster than the original.
Arrow of Time:
This sniper has a 6 Bullet magazine, but does less damage (Should still kill instantly with headshot though)
Nornfang:
This sniper gives you damage boost and allows you to kill anything with a body shot as well, this weapon isn't able to headshot, but still kills instantly from body shot

Covenant Beam Rifle:
Has different mechanics than UNSC Sniper, it has a battery clip that is 100%, But -10% For each shot. It overheats and stops working for a second if you shoot enough bullets too fast (Same thing as sniper rifle, bodyshot headshot thing)
Halo 2 Beam Rifle:
Complete copy of beam rifle
Halo 2 Beam Rifle Alpha:
Able to fire more before overheat, -5% Battery when shot
Halo 2 Beam Rifle Delta:
Makes small void when shot, finishing off anyone who you hit with a body shot

Promethean Binary Rifle:
Magazine of 2, when shot it is a laser that lasts about a second, hold it on enemy players to kill them
(Forgot the name of this one):
Has magazine of 4 instead of 2
Twin Jewels of Mathrillean:
Shoots 2 lasers in one, dealing twice the damage

Thanks for reading this long @55 Hopefully helpful, comment
Can't believe I wasted 10 minutes of my life writing this ^
Spoiler:
Show