Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

How do you feel about Halo 5's MM currently?

OP GG Panda GG

G'day everyone!

This thread is in relation to other threads I have posted before, but I feel I need to build up on this topic in a different manner.

How do you all feel regarding Halo 5's current Matchmaking playlists?

I am open to hearing all perspectives, as I would like to hear what you all have to say.

I feel currently that too many of the social playlists are too competitive & that there is a lack of balance between competitive and casual games in Matchmaking. I understand that the inherent mechanic of Halo 5 is very fast paced, but I believe that there could be adjustments made in order to balance the pace of gameplay in Matchmaking.

If you agree, disagree or have a neutral stand, I would love to hear your feedback. Due to the amount of people that have agreed with me on this matter, is the reason why I am pursuing this further.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your responses.

Kind regards, Panda :)
It's hard to gauge your skill level these days. I also noticed the servers are sluggish which makes it hard to play.
The only way to change the real pace of the gameplay of halo is to change the halo you're playing. That's why there's many active players on mcc. You basically explained it yourself. The game is inherently fast paced...and even your strafe in this halo is basically a strafe on steroids compared to older games. You couldn't even crouch strafe the way you can in h5 let alone have an additional dimension thrown at you with thrusting during your fights. You either love this or hate this. Most people still playing I'd imagine love it though.

As for it being not casual enough...what do you mean? Casual in the sense that your matches feel easier to you? Or...like the difference of a playlist like slayer vs castle wars and there not being enough of 1 over the other?

As for the playlists...I mean they are what they are. I love the gameplay of halo 5, but much of the map settings are what kill it. Like the head to head playlist was pretty fun for a few matches but I quickly seen how 343s obsession of allowing too much crap on the map just ruins the map. Much like how some maps in slayer become complete garbage tier by this.

That's been my complaint over this game for awhile. It's one of the reasons I see playlists like slayer more....casual. the amount of stuff on the map and the amount of ammo is insane. Thats why the TA settings half it. I mean damn man how many power items should there be on a map? Then how many on a map with just 4 people on it? How many for just 2? I really hope infinite doesn't have this problem....

Casual to me has more to do with settings. Anything you could win at is inherently competitive in the nature that your goal is to win. The difficulty of the playlist through the settings being modified is what makes a playlist more competitive to me though. Like slayer vs TA. TA is way more competitive. Even the radar change alone creates a more competitive setting.
I think that Halo 5 is very competitive, and certain modes in Social are pretty hard to play casually too. Quick Play for example is very tough imo, it's just like ranked. I think who you're going against makes alot of that. I don't know. I like how competitive it is, and usually if I wanna do something chill I just play Firefight
I think that Halo 5 is very competitive, and certain modes in Social are pretty hard to play casually too. Quick Play for example is very tough imo, it's just like ranked. I think who you're going against makes alot of that. I don't know. I like how competitive it is, and usually if I wanna do something chill I just play Firefight
Honestly, ranked is better than quickplay. You get fairer matches. The match making search parameters are more strict. The only reason for not getting fairer matches becomes issues with population at the search time, and the unfortunate boosters, derankers, people searching on their fake silver, bronze, even gold accounts with their onyx buddies trying to cheat their way up to champ.. people using various ways in and out of the game to have unfair advantages in their games over other players.

But NORMALLY...lol...I'd say ranked is the way to go. Even for new players. Play the placements and the game gages where you're at quite quickly and hopefully there will be players at the level to have a more...learn at your own pace experience.
Pheinted wrote:
Honestly, ranked is better than quickplay. You get fairer matches. The match making search parameters are more strict. The only reason for not getting fairer matches becomes issues with population at the search time, and the unfortunate boosters, derankers, people searching on their fake silver, bronze, even gold accounts with their onyx buddies trying to cheat their way up to champ.. people using various ways in and out of the game to have unfair advantages in their games over other players.

But NORMALLY...lol...I'd say ranked is the way to go. Even for new players. Play the placements and the game gages where you're at quite quickly and hopefully there will be players at the level to have a more...learn at your own pace experience.
100%. I usually always play ranked unless it's something like BTB. Just last season I made it to Champion 118 in Snipers, my first time getting to that rank. Competitive is where I thrive, but sometimes some chill BTB is fun as hell too.
Thank you for your responses and feedback Danumis Pheinted Deaths Shadow74, it is great to hear your perspectives and insight; it is very much appreciated :)
Pheinted wrote:
As for it being not casual enough...what do you mean? Casual in the sense that your matches feel easier to you? Or...like the difference of a playlist like slayer vs castle wars and there not being enough of 1 over the other?
The difference of a playlist*

I loved your insight regarding Ranked and Social & how Ranked can provide a more casual experience compared to the Social Playlists.

Another important point you made is to also switch Halo games, which is also very true and valid. I am directing this more toward Halo 5 specifically, as I feel like something can be done.

In reference to the playlists that are available, I see the 'casual' playlists as:
  • Firefight
  • BTB Super Fiesta
  • Super Fiesta
However, I've found the only playlist that provides a guaranteed casual experience is Firefight; I have found a majority of the BTB Super Fiesta and Super Fiesta Party games are all very competitive.

I personally feel there is not much of a variety to let your hair down after playing very competitive games, where the only alternative is to play a game of Firefight. I want to see how other people feel regarding this, as I feel I am not alone when it comes to feeling this way.

I've found that when Action Sack is made available, it really balances the line between casual and competitive games in the Social Playlists.I have made threads relating to the Action Sack point specifically, but I wanted to hear what everyone had to say regarding the question.

Thanks again for your response, I appreciate the in-depth feedback :)
I feel like it's broken and abandoned.
TormentHCS wrote:
Thanks for your contribution TormentHCS

Are you able to go into more detail in how you feel that it's broken? Would like to hear what you have to say about it :)
TormentHCS wrote:
Thanks for your contribution TormentHCSAre you able to go into more detail in how you feel that it's broken? Would like to hear what you have to say about it :)
So for example, due to lack of population, people from all over the world are connecting into a server that's not meant for them. Say people facing off from America and Australia connected to a Europe server? Because so many people have abandoned H5 we have limited servers. And I should know all of this cuz I was a 152 before I took a long break from Halo.
TormentHCS wrote:
Thanks for your contribution TormentHCSAre you able to go into more detail in how you feel that it's broken? Would like to hear what you have to say about it :)
Due to lack of population, players from different countries are connecting on to one server. Say, someone from America and someone from Australia are playing on a server from Europe. Lots of the population has abandoned H5 so now we have servers that are broken from spread out players.
I really feel like there should be multiple playlists that have different game types. A ranked, social, custom, and firefight playlist. That'll help make things easier to navigate and keep certain sides of the community from clashing too much
TormentHCS wrote:
Due to lack of population, players from different countries are connecting on to one server. Say, someone from America and someone from Australia are playing on a server from Europe. Lots of the population has abandoned H5 so now we have servers that are broken from spread out players.
I get that & I can see where you're coming from. I would love to help bring the population back to Halo 5 as it is a fun game, and we can still enjoy it until Infinite

Thank you for your feedback, really appreciate it TormentHCS :)

I really feel like there should be multiple playlists that have different game types. A ranked, social, custom, and firefight playlist. That'll help make things easier to navigate and keep certain sides of the community from clashing too much
It already does! Firefight can be found in Warzone & the others fall under their category :)

The reason why I am addressing it is that the Social games are all very competitive & the only games which aren't are generally Firefight

I've found that when Action Sack is a part of the weekly rotation, it is a more balanced environment

I made a remark in one of the earlier posts stating that Halo 5 is inherently a fast paced game, so to have another casual playlist would help balance Matchmaking

I did see a post of yours saying you don't really enjoy Halo 5 anymore, so I appreciate the response to the thread DiehardColt3; thank you for contributing :)
TormentHCS wrote:
I get that & I can see where you're coming from. I would love to help bring the population back to Halo 5 as it is a fun game, and we can still enjoy it until Infinite

Thank you for your feedback, really appreciate it TormentHCS :)

It already does! Firefight can be found in Warzone & the others fall under their category :)

The reason why I am addressing it is that the Social games are all very competitive & the only games which aren't are generally Firefight

I've found that when Action Sack is a part of the weekly rotation, it is a more balanced environment

I made a remark in one of the earlier posts stating that Halo 5 is inherently a fast paced game, so to have another casual playlist would help balance Matchmaking

I did see a post of yours saying you don't really enjoy Halo 5 anymore, so I appreciate the response to the thread DiehardColt3; thank you for contributing :)
I expect a growth spurt for the population after the multi-player reveal coming up. Hopefully they stay for more than a handful of matches though.

The best way to keep the players more active, like the ones who get on right now but only stay on for a very short amount of time, is to invite them to your fireteam and party. So many people hop off this game fast because they're playing alone, and playing this game alone can be a horrible experience for some players.
Pheinted wrote:
I expect a growth spurt for the population after the multi-player reveal coming up. Hopefully they stay for more than a handful of matches though.

The best way to keep the players more active, like the ones who get on right now but only stay on for a very short amount of time, is to invite them to your fireteam and party. So many people hop off this game fast because they're playing alone, and playing this game alone can be a horrible experience for some players
I highly agree!

Playing any Halo game alone - especially Halo 5 - doesn't make the game as enjoyable & it can lead to the game becoming boring and less interesting; playing with other players definitely adds a funner element to the game and makes it less stale.

Great point Pheinted, well said :)