Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

How is master chief a traitor?

OP sharpshot3rx

I still don't get how master chief is a traitor? I understand he disobeyed orders and left to find cortana, but the trailers show that he is the reason the world is being destroyed. I dont know if I missed something while playing the game. Could someone explain?

Thanks
Did you listen to hunt the truth?
Pretty much advertizing campaigns to increase hype.
Nooga wrote:
I have not listened to it.
Easiest explanation... the advertising didn't match what happens in H5.... why... well that is just how 343 rolls sometimes.... kinda like how the missions didn't match the cut scenes in Spartan Ops in H4. Or how this was the shortest Halo campaign when they claimed it was the longest.
Nooga wrote:
Hunt the truth will give you some in sight as to why chief was being called a traitor.
Nooga wrote:
Hunt the truth will give you some in sight as to why chief was being called a traitor.
Except there is no truth in the Hunt the Truth campaign.
LethalQ wrote:
Easiest explanation... the advertising didn't match what happens in H5.... why... well that is just how 343 rolls sometimes.... kinda like how the missions didn't match the cut scenes in Spartan Ops in H4. Or how this was the shortest Halo campaign when they claimed it was the longest.
Yeah the campaign was an epic fail in terms of the narrative or any of this making sense. But at least they got down decent gameplay/gunplay and a solid multiplayer so far.
I still don't get how master chief is a traitor?
He is a traitor in the same way that I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, is not butter.

He's not.
Nooga wrote:
Except there is no truth in the Hunt the Truth campaign.
What do you mean?
LethalQ wrote:
Easiest explanation... the advertising didn't match what happens in H5.... why... well that is just how 343 rolls sometimes....
Bungie did it too, all the time. I don't understand the outrage.
S 000 DeM wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Easiest explanation... the advertising didn't match what happens in H5.... why... well that is just how 343 rolls sometimes....
Was it to the same extent though? I felt like most Bungie ad campaigns followed the idea of This is what could happen if Master Chief fails. Whereas this 343i ad campaign only and repeatedly pushed the Locke vs. Chief story.
LethalQ wrote:
Yeah the campaign was an epic fail in terms of the narrative or any of this making sense. But at least they got down decent gameplay/gunplay and a solid multiplayer so far.
I actually liked the story line of H5. It was the script of the characters I didn't like.
S 000 DeM wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
I am not outraged... simply have the explanation.

The only truly upsetting thing is they claimed a long campaign when it was the shortest one to date.
Without being specific he falls for deceptions that get him to unlock/unleash things that otherwise would have remained locked up or inactive. It's a theme through most of the series but the Covenant and other UNSC forces unwittingly unleash things as well.

And from an outsider's perspective it would seem as if he's doing it on purpose, therefore he could be perceived as a traitor. Plus some from an outside perspective might presume there's a conspiracy to wipe out normal humans and replace them with the genetically engineered superhumans which are the Spartans.
LethalQ wrote:
S 000 DeM wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
I am not outraged... simply have the explanation.

The only truly upsetting thing is they claimed a long campaign when it was the shortest one to date.
In terms of playtime it may be the shortest, unless you take your time to look for the intel, weapon variants, and Easter eggs of course. But, it has the most missions in a FPS Halo game with fifteen playable ones.

Yes, Halo 2 had the same number BUT, one was a cutscene and one was a small tutorial followed by another large cutscene, so really it was only thirteen. Sure, Halo 5 had three missions where you chill and talk but, you still have Easter eggs, intel, and more to find in those missions. Hell, you can turn Meridian Station into a giant game of soccer if you wanted!