Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] How much difference does Upgraded Shields make?

OP I Killed brunts

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
jbob138 wrote:
I don't know because I don't use that mod
But it's sooo good though! Especially now, since it's unlocked at a lower level. I usually stick with it through whole games! Not trying to force anything on you btw, just talking *yoink*.

*edit* my bad I meant a higher level but that just goes to show how good it is, they made it harder to get!
Upgraded shields does add about a 20% buff to your shields. Some perks it has...
1: Sniper/Beam Rifles take two shots to kill, either body or headshot (excluding Nornfang/Delta)
2: It does increase the resistance to perfects. The Magnum now takes 6 shots to kill (gunfighter is 7), the BR will instead of taking 11 bullets to kill (3.66 bursts, or 4 trigger pulls) now takes 13 bullets to kill (4.33 bursts, or 5 trigger pulls.) The DMR will in fact remain a 5 shot kill, thanks to the increase in damage from the Magnum (it's not just a level 6 req for it's range). The Carbine I'm not sure about, but I believe it will be bumped up to an 8 shot kill. The unscoped light rifle will be 5 shots to kill with the scoped light rifle being 4 (Dying Star is still 3 shot). Interestingly enough, the Whispered Truth now requires all 6 bullets to hit to land the kill, and the CE magnum now takes 4 shots (I think, I've never tested/seen a test).
3: Splatters are now a lot less likely to kill, especially from careless teammates. combine this with Kinetic bolt weapons and you might manage to prevent more deaths while hijacking warthogs.
4: Upgraded shields actually influence overshields. While the deterioration time of the OS will remain the same, the shield itself actually gets a notable buff of the same percentage. It gives you about 6 extra AR bullets to take before it cracks. Worth noting.
5: This is actually incredibly powerful when combined with Mythic weapons. The Tartarus's Gavel and SPNKr Prime both exhibit improved shields by default, at about the same power of the basic upgraded shields. However, Upgraded shields stacks with these, providing the player with dramatically upgraded shields. At this point I'm guessing the shields have a total of a 60% boost, and can take two sniper rounds before dropping. And remember the Overshield works in tandem with this, so if you ever pick up one of these weapons and have some req points to burn, go ahead and make yourself a tank.
Oh, did I say tank? I almost forgot (I actually didn't) about Jorge's chaingun. This weapon, by itself, already boasts IMMENSE shield strength. BY ITSELF, it takes a Nornfang shot to drop those shields. Then you can add both Upgraded shields and Overshield to that. With some back of the envelope math, upgraded shields gives you 300 PERCENT SHIELDS when equipped with Jorge's Chaingun, and adding an overshield to that gives you 3 layers of shields, which adds up to over 1200 PERCENT SHIELDS (not counting for deterioration).
I think I've said enough.
Well, They made it harder to get, so it definitely does something good.
Energy bayonet and you cant be 4'd
I haven't used that mod in a long time. I will try it out and see if it makes much of a difference. It may help you come on top more often than not in a one on one gun fight.
I'm all ways forgetting to do amar mods
way to much difference nothing should let you survive a direct sniper headshot it is o.p. Maybe a little more balanced now that it is level 6 but, still its kinda just JV armor lock.
It really doesn't make a difference except survive a energy bayonet and extra sniper round
I haven't tried it out as I don't have it unlocked but my friends say it increases your survivability from weapons that would take you down with a single shot.
I think upgrading shields would not be good because it would change the way halo is played.
I think its a waste to equip because I never saw a difference in the shields or shots taken.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
anytime I use it it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
its hard to take down the enemy when he moves to fast. thats why they called hard target
It protects you from anything short of a tank shot.
It would be nice if it had an effect on vehicle shields like from saving you from laser damage.
That is what Wheelman is for tbh.
It would be nice if it had an effect on vehicle shields like from saving you from laser damage.
That is what Wheelman is for tbh.
Idk some times wheel man doesn't seem to do any thing.
I have absolutely zero data to prove anything one way or the other, but for me as an awful skrubby player, I can vouch that it subjectively makes a big enough difference to me that it's always my preferred armor upgrade as soon as it's available.

Combined with overshields, I've held on in 1v3 or even 1v4 situations. And I suck.
if it is against standard weapons it helps a lot
Video of armor mods analysis. This has a lot of good info in it.
Awesome video.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8