How the **** are you supposed to aim in this game

OP ShakeNBakeGG

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Also don't keep switching your settings you have to play a good 10-15 games before you adjust to a particular setting after that it just becomes muscle memory
You're not supposed to aim, just pull the trigger. The hit detection in this game is quite generous. Of all the Halo games, Halo 5 is probably the most forgiving of poor aim (except when it comes to grenades: their blast radius is terrible).

Case-in-point. I'm generally a close-quarter player by nature. Most of my kills in previous Halo games have come by melee. My very first Kill in Halo 5 multiplayer was a no-scope sniper headshot.
IF ANY ONE IS HAVING THIS ISSUE THEN PLEASE READ BELOW CAREFULLY.

3) AIM ACCELERATION: This refers to how long does it take to reach you max turning speed. Its 3 as default.now if you think that your sensitivity is right but you miss at aiming in a duel as your aim turns so quick then lower this. What this will do is,
Its gonna make a curve of acceleration, you start slow and then you pick up speed.

I am going to add more points tomorrow moring. I am tired of typing. Please follow the post and wait for further points.

Good tips.
I am having problems with the variation in turn speed, not having it too slow or too fast.
Maybe I should set accel to 4 or 5 so that there is minimal "wind-up" time to reaching full speed, but use a low sensitivity (2-4).

And yeah your comments about muscle memory make a lot of sense.
I almost never use ADS at close or mid-range. At long range using BR, DMR or Sniper I'll use it.
As others have said practice. If you make changes to your settings especially big ones like it seems you are doing then you must give yourself time to adapt to them. Changes should be made in small increments over time and not huge changes all at once and you should give yourself at least 10+ games worth of practice before you will really start to become proficient with your new settings and then it will take at least a few days to really master your new settings. Learn when to use smart link. ADS in halo is not required for many of your engagements and will get you killed if you use it improperly. Also remember halo 5 has much less forgiving aim assist and is probably the lowest we have seen in any shooter for the last several years where as COD has gone more and more in the direction of handing out kills to people even though their sights were clearly not on target when they pulled the trigger.
I aim with my thumbs :D
I play on 4 sens, 1 aim acceleration, 0% inner dead zone and 5% outer deadzone. Seems like that works best for me. And this isn't cod or any other shooter. It's halo so hip fire is where its at unless they're at a distance. Plus that descope is gonna make you forced to hip fire sometimes so you gotta get good at it. Sometimes you will be aiming with absolutely no aim assist but you just gotta get good
BRs wrote:
PAPA MaKK wrote:
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I feel like halo 5 aiming is perfect and i have been playing since halo 1. I had no problem adjusting feels like halo to me. Just practice and adjust your settings.
Exactly, this game feels more like a classic Halo game than Halo Reach or Halo 4 ever did.

it may not look like HCE, H2, or H3...but in terms of gameplay, I actually feel like I'm playing Halo again. It's refreshing.
Yeap, totally halo. The learning curve for this game was like a week tops. If you were good at halo 1 2 3 even 4, you should have no problem adjusting to this one.
I'd love to start getting matched up against some of you that don't know to aim. Seems like everyone else is doing fine.
practice. halo plays differently to CoD and other shooters out there
I have approx 50hrs "practice" playing Halo 5 multiplayer, and I still can't even reliably hit a target right in front of me (head shots are a fantasy).
I would have expected to see some kind of improvement by now.
I have been doing alright in warzone recently, but I tried out some team arena today and got absolutely smashed in my placement games by literally everyone, until it started matching me against people who had absolutely no idea what was going on. I prefer playing FFA, but when you are trying to get your "first win of the day" pack it is not a good choice.

I did find sens: 3 acc: 4 my best setting so far.
I think changing the deadzone settings might have messed me up. Think I set them to 5%/5%. So tiny movements on each thumbstick are being registered (compared to before).

Also seems I need to get out of the habit of zooming in every single time I see another player, but it's a hard habit to break if it's what you are used to from other games.
I was like you for a while. I did a few things. First I got kontrol freak joystick grips. Its makes the joysticks longer/taller. that helped with a lot with the sensitivity. Then I set my controller setting on 2. Most games its 5. But H5 has to be on 2 for me. If you use 9 normally go to like 4 or 5. Start out on a low setting so you are not over correcting the reticle. If you are constantly over correcting, you have it set too high. Once its set. Leave it there. Play 20 or 30 games. I would recommend Warzone. Also if you are playing on a TV 46 inches or bigger. You should move to a smaller TV. there is latency and its noticeable with bigger TVs. You won't think so until you move to a smaller TV , preferably 40in or smaller. Finally stop caring about stats , if you do its only going to hurt you. I really improved to once I said I was not going to worry about stats anymore. Then focus solely on Aim, not evasion. IF you lose the fight, you lose the fight, but you got to get the aim good first. Then evasion later.
I'd love to start getting matched up against some of you that don't know to aim. Seems like everyone else is doing fine.
my weakness is evasion. I get caught out of position way too much more so than anything else. It also took time for me to realize how much Destiny and COD had made me lazy with aim.always aiming for center mass won't cut it with halo.
With the right stick, silly.
Practice is important, and even pros will miss easy shots and have bad days. What makes me at my best is to remain calm. When I get frustrated or anxious, I tend to jerk the controls more. I suck more, die more, and get more frustrated. Being calm and confident can quickly turn around a bad start. If you are getting totally owned, just try a new tactic. Follow a teammate, slow down and stop sprinting so much, and lay off thrusters until being shot at. Also, make sure the button layout works for you, and try experimenting with different. Lots of pros use bumper jumper, but I prefer to keep my thrusters on left bumper instead. Do what you can to keep your thumbs on the sticks at all times. Reducing deadzones to 0% made a noticeable difference for me. Very pleased with the update.
point and shoot
You use the right joystick to aim. You play and practice for hours until you're good at it. Simple. This is how it was for everyone who currently has no problems with it.
The problem is the precision aiming zone (when your reticle is near a target) creates an across the board sensitivity drop, diminishing all player input, making the reticle sluggish, heavy and unresponsive, which requires the player to ramp up their input in order to get the reticle to move. Add on that 343 lurches the reticle from aiming mode to turning mode at about 85% joystick deflection, creating a very unexpected lurch in reticle speed. 343 has managed to create an aiming system which compacts all the quality aiming into a tinny narrow band of joystick angles.

subtle-to-normal levels of input leave the reticle unresponsive, too much input lurches the reticle unpredictably.

Even if you do overcome the aiming mechanics, and actually are able to line up a shot well, you quickly realize that bullet magnetism has taken away most of the value of actually needing to aim well. All you need to do is awkwardly and unintuitively slosh the reticle near someone's head, and bullet magnetism does the rest.

343 has managed to create one of the worst core point-and-shoot FPS game experiences of my life. There is still lots of fantastic content in Halo 5, but the core game play of pointing-and-shooting is not one of them.
I was like you for a while. I did a few things. First I got kontrol freak joystick grips. Its makes the joysticks longer/taller. that helped with a lot with the sensitivity. Then I set my controller setting on 2. Most games its 5. But H5 has to be on 2 for me. If you use 9 normally go to like 4 or 5. Start out on a low setting so you are not over correcting the reticle. If you are constantly over correcting, you have it set too high. Once its set. Leave it there. Play 20 or 30 games. I would recommend Warzone. Also if you are playing on a TV 46 inches or bigger. You should move to a smaller TV. there is latency and its noticeable with bigger TVs. You won't think so until you move to a smaller TV , preferably 40in or smaller. Finally stop caring about stats , if you do its only going to hurt you. I really improved to once I said I was not going to worry about stats anymore. Then focus solely on Aim, not evasion. IF you lose the fight, you lose the fight, but you got to get the aim good first. Then evasion later.
More or less this is a good point.

1) the control freaks CAN help. They did for me on 360 so when I got an elite controller (that took a bit of getting used to) I immediately swapped the default right stick to the longer one.

2), focus on aiming! You could be the best evasionist(is that even a word?) On the planet but couldnt hit the broadside of a barn 1 inch in front of you. Chances are youll still die.

Switch your though pattern to aiming. As you get better you can then switch to evasion. Since doing this ive gotten my kd from about 1.01 to about 1.15 in the span of maybe a few days?
Practice
As simple as it sounds, I know it's hard. But he's right. Unless you dropped your controller in the toilet... you didn't do that, did you?
Alright so I've tried tweaking all the controller settings but I just can't find a setting that works for me at all.
High acceleration / low sensitivity, low acceleration / high sensitivity, a middle ground, nothing is working out.
It's obviously working for some people, cos I get absolutely destroyed in arena matches most of the time. If someone gets the first shot on me, they will win the duel 99% of the time. Doesn't help that the radar is 100% useless in arena, so everyone is just running around yolo charging, but that's another topic entirely.

The biggest gripe I have, is that the sensitivity feels TOTALLY different when you zoom in. I don't know wtf is going on, but when I aim without zooming in, I feel like I can at least control it a little, but whenever I zoom in, I lose all control and the crosshair just zooms all over the place. I mean it's practically impossible to stay fixed on a moving target, when your crosshair is flicking all over the place wildly.

Are you supposed to just fire un-zoomed all the time unless using a sniper weapon?
Like if someone is shooting back at you, do you just forget about zooming in at all?

I just have it nailed into me from various other FPS games to always zoom in when targetting, so it's a really difficult habit to break when your initial reaction seeing another player is to zoom in.

I think it's something to do with the acceleration when the stick is pushed right to the edge when panicked, I have tried acceleration on both 1 and 5 and neither of them feel comfortable.

Struggling with even just the basic weapons to stay on target, let alone the power weapons which are just a lost cause when picked up by me :-\
Adjust the deadzones to your liking
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4