Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

How to get aim back

OP The END7563

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Greetings. To give a little context prior to my question:

I bought halo 5 on release day and played it fairly religiously for quite some time. In that period I was able to pull off headshots and perfections fairly well. However, I soon began going back and playing in the mcc for some time (which, given its various games and variety of aiming styles, is most likely what is causing my issue) and found upon returning to halo 5 that my aim was off (usually have difficulty with headshots, long range is more challenging, etc.) I understand, at least most likely, why this is (variation in aiming cross titles and my own awareness of how I'm playing causing me to choke and become angered fairly quickly). My question to you would be how would I most efficiently go about regaining this aiming. I know the importance of practice in this situation.

Edit: I have taken bullet magnetism and aim acceleration into account and have felt for quite a while that those were the issue (again with the cross title variance). The difference between the projectile aiming of halo 3 and the hitscan of halo 5 is what I feel is most likely my issue.
I was in the same situation as you. How I got my aim back was to play swat. A lot of it. After several hours, i got my aim back. Keep your gun at head height.
I was in the same situation as you. How I got my aim back was to play swat. A lot of it. After several hours, i got my aim back. Keep your gun at head height.
...or at the very least, anticipate where your opponent will appear next.
HaXoR73 wrote:
Oh yeah that's a good point especially for sniping.
Thanks for the reply. I do try to keep my weapon at head height, and my issue seems to be more caused by the fact that I got used to the projectile aiming in halo 3, which makes me automatically want to lead my shots. So long as it's magnum or dmr swat this should help.
Thanks for the reply. I do try to keep my weapon at head height, and my issue seems to be more caused by the fact that I got used to the projectile aiming in halo 3, which makes me automatically want to lead my shots. So long as it's magnum or dmr swat this should help.
I found the dmr particularly hard to use after the transition. Though I find it much easier to use now. Oh and I would also suggest altering sensitivity settings to make sure you feel comfortable with the movement speed.
HaXoR73 wrote:
Sniping doesn't seem to be an issue for me oddly enough. The fact that there isn't a need to hold your redicule over the target for too long is why.
HaXoR73 wrote:
Sniping doesn't seem to be an issue for me oddly enough. The fact that there isn't a need to hold your redicule over the target for too long is why.
Plus the increased magnetism.
I found the dmr particularly hard to use after the transition. Though I find it much easier to use now. Oh and I would also suggest altering sensitivity settings to make sure you feel comfortable with the movement speed.
Moving down to 2 sensitivity seems to help, although I do tend to find changes like that to be a bit of a slippery slope due to the tendency for ones sensitivity to continue to decrease
HaXoR73 wrote:
Plus the increased magnetism.
Yes, that's certainly a helpful factor
Play some Octagon or some Team Skirmish. If you don't want to do that I would just play Warzone because it's the most relaxed gamemode out there.
What makes Halo 5 hard for me is the inconsistency. Sometimes I can't miss. It's like my reticle just sticks to the enemy. Other times it feels like I can't hit a shot at all. I'm SR149 and play at least every other day, and the only consistent thing is the inconsistency. I don't mess with settings, I just deal with the fact that sometimes I'm the windshield, sometimes I'm the bug. Sometimes I'm 15-5, others 5-15. I don't see how my skill could vary that much day to day, my aim is what it is by now. I guess my point is that you never know if you are getting outgunned by other people, maybe you are just a little off your game, or if Halo just hates you today. So.......can't aim today? Try again in a couple hours, you might be a Halo god lol.
if you can aim in halo 3, aiming in other halos should be easier really
What makes Halo 5 hard for me is the inconsistency. Sometimes I can't miss. It's like my reticle just sticks to the enemy. Other times it feels like I can't hit a shot at all. I'm SR149 and play at least every other day, and the only consistent thing is the inconsistency. I don't mess with settings, I just deal with the fact that sometimes I'm the windshield, sometimes I'm the bug. Sometimes I'm 15-5, others 5-15. I don't see how my skill could vary that much day to day, my aim is what it is by now. I guess my point is that you never know if you are getting outgunned by other people, maybe you are just a little off your game, or if Halo just hates you today. So.......can't aim today? Try again in a couple hours, you might be a Halo god lol.
Yeah, that's the way it seems to go. My point of curiosity at this point is what difference causes this inconsistency and furthermore what has changed recently to cause its higher frequency. Mentality has a lot to do with it, as I mentioned how my awareness of my gameplay leads to anger, which, along with hate and the dark side, leads to bad decision making and poorer accuracy.
if you can aim in halo 3, aiming in other halos should be easier really
I feel that it's the different aiming system that throws me off. I could see this being plausible, but switching from projetile to hitscan is fairly difficult, at least in my experience.
This seems to be helping a lot. While I still have some small things to iron out, my aim is definitely feeling more like it did prior to my rut. Thank you.
This seems to be helping a lot. While I still have some small things to iron out, my aim is definitely feeling more like it did prior to my rut. Thank you.
It ok glad I could be of help :)
Thanks for the replies. I have found myself to be in a rut for a few months now and it's becoming increasingly frustrating. I have studied pretty much any existing thread on any forum relating to such ruts and have tried the tips. However, it usually isn't to any success. Having put a considerable amount of time into this game makes this rut all the more irritating given that I would say that, at my peak, I was a fairly good player. Would anyone have any tips on getting out of such a rut?
I believe what you are feeling is what has been coined "Heavy aim." It is most noticeable when switching between different games and coming back to Halo 5 and makes the aiming feel sluggish and unresponsive and is thought to be caused by CPU stress on the Xbox One.

I too feel that the DMR feels very "off" is probably the most affected weapon by this.

There is a very long thread on here as well as Team Beyond about the subject.
Play some Octagon or some Team Skirmish. If you don't want to do that I would just play Warzone because it's the most relaxed gamemode out there.
I haven't had a relaxed game of Warzone in months. Always matched against partys.

I would recommend Firefight over the base warzone. Maybe even Assault.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2