How would you improve the H5 OST?

OP AMBR8978

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
First off, don't think I'm implying that the H5 OST is bad. IMO it might be the most entertaining OST of all the Halo titles, in that I can enjoy listening to the entire OST from beginning to end. In fact, if I had to score it (not taking OST game-integration into account) I'd give it a 9.2/10.

That being said, I would like to see more choir integrated in the music, more bass-line-heavy pieces (think In Amber Clad H2), more ambient pieces and a little more integration of classic Halo themes (again, like In Amber Clad).

What about you, what would you like to see more of (and/or less of) in the H6 OST?
More integration of the old. It says "Halo" on the cover from CE to 5, so why did the music style need to change when Halo is still Halo. While there are a few good tracks from 4-5, there is nowhere near the critical acclaim these two soundtracks have garnered compared to the old style soundtrack.
H BIRYANI wrote:
More integration of the old. It says "Halo" on the cover from CE to 5, so why did the music style need to change when Halo is still Halo. While there are a few good tracks from 4-5, there is nowhere near the critical acclaim these two soundtracks have garnered compared to the old style soundtrack.
I hear what you're saying, although I think Halo 4 and 5 had a significant shift in tone (in their campaigns) that the music captured well IMO.

That being said, my biggest beef with H4 was the exclusion of any of the classic Halo themes from the first trilogy (outside of the small echo of the chant heard when Chief is on the roof of the Lich).
H BIRYANI wrote:
Also, not sure about you but I got goosebumps when The Trials started playing during The Breaking level in H5. It had been too long since I had kicked -yoink- to the sound of that old theme.
Why a 9.2 and not a 9.1 or a 9.3? I would actually like to know.
I quite enjoyed Halo 5's ost. I really like that they included several of the more classic themes.

How would I improve it? By adding more classic themes. Bring more from Halo: CE, Halo 2, 3 and even Reach. I just don't ever want to hear anything like Halo 4's ever again. It wasn't necessarily bad, the music just didn't fit with Halo for me. I could imagine Halo 4's music in a movie or something like that and it would be totally fine, but it just didn't sound right for Halo.
While it's definitely hard to quantify the intuition that goes into the score variants, I would probably describe it in the following way:

9.1 Seems too low considering there are some incredible musical elements going on throughout the OST. The Osiris suite stands out as an example. Overlapping and cohesive plays of minor and major themes, immersive pieces like Cloud Chariot and the amount of thought that you can tell went into this OST seems too good to give it a 9.1.

A 9.3 however would entail a level of epicness and execution that I don't think this OST accomplished. For example, The Trials is absolutely awesome, but at the end, when the old theme is overlapping with itself and reaching a climax, the ending just stalls and repeats the main theme for another 30-60 seconds. There was an opportunity to blow the roof off with an epic conclusion, but it was missed. Truly, IMO no piece really blows the roof off in this OST except maybe Osiris suite part 1 which has a really satisfying conclusion.

Anyway, that's how I came out to 9.2.
AMBR8978 wrote:
While it's definitely hard to quantify the intuition that goes into the score variants, I would probably describe it in the following way:

9.1 Seems too low considering there are some incredible musical elements going on throughout the OST. The Osiris suite stands out as an example. Overlap;-ping and cohesive plays of minor and major themes, immersive pieces like Cloud Chariot and the amount of thought that you can tell went into this OST seems too good to give it a 9.1.

A 9.3 however would entail a level of epicness and execution that I don't think this OST accomplished. For example, The Trials is absolutely awesome, but at the end, when the old theme is overlapping with itself and reaching a climax, the ending just stalls and repeats the main theme for another 30-60 seconds. There was an opportunity to blow the roof off with an epic conclusion, but it was missed. Truly, IMO no piece really blows the roof off in this OST except maybe Osiris suite part 1 which has a really satisfying conclusion.

Anyway, that's how I came out to 9.2.
Thank you :-)
I loved the Sanghelios tracks and atmosphere. I would like to hear more choir songs. Maybe a version of Atonement by men voices would be awesome. I like the classic themes but I prefer new tracks that fits perfectly with the campaign.
Id like a little more experimentation. I'm not saying throw everything out and start again but it doesn't all have to be orchestral chanting monks.

Its one of the reasons I respected Halo 4's OST. OK it didn't have enough "Halo" but they tried something new, some of it worked some didn't.
Composing good music is an incredibly complex and tedious process that takes years of practice. It's pretty dumb when I see people who've never studied the art criticize it and say what needs to be changed without actually knowing how to change it.

But I'm one of those people, so... more piano?
More emotional tracks like "Blue Team", and more bombastic/energetic tracks like "The Trials", and "Light is Green".
Add more cello to it. Everything sounds amazing with a cello.
I loved the Sanghelios tracks and atmosphere. I would like to hear more choir songs. Maybe a version of Atonement by men voices would be awesome. I like the classic themes but I prefer new tracks that fits perfectly with the campaign.
I agree with everything here. Did you hear that palm muted acoustic guitar during the Sanghelios levels? IMO it felt really Halo and fit perfectly with the environment etc.

Atonement was sweet, done with a full male choir might really give it an eerie and mysterious feel.
Id like a little more experimentation. I'm not saying throw everything out and start again but it doesn't all have to be orchestral chanting monks.

Its one of the reasons I respected Halo 4's OST. OK it didn't have enough "Halo" but they tried something new, some of it worked some didn't.
I agree with adding new elements 100%, I just wish they'd have had something in H4. I think H5 did a solid job with incorporating new themes while referencing and eluding to old ones as well.
SpitFlame wrote:
Composing good music is an incredibly complex and tedious process that takes years of practice. It's pretty dumb when I see people who've never studied the art criticize it and say what needs to be changed without actually knowing how to change it.

But I'm one of those people, so... more piano?
Definitely. While I do have musical education, I have the utmost respect for the work done across all of the Halo OSTs, this post was done strictly from a fan-critique POV and not a professional one.

Anyway, yes lol more piano would be awesome. The H3 "believe" piano theme does appear throughout the OST though (and it's awesome). More guitar, and rock-drums too?
EVERYTHING!
AMBR8978 wrote:
First off, don't think I'm implying that the H5 OST is bad. IMO it might be the most entertaining OST of all the Halo titles, in that I can enjoy listening to the entire OST from beginning to end. In fact, if I had to score it (not taking OST game-integration into account) I'd give it a 9.2/10.

That being said, I would like to see more choir integrated in the music, more bass-line-heavy pieces (think In Amber Clad H2), more ambient pieces and a little more integration of classic Halo themes (again, like In Amber Clad).

What about you, what would you like to see more of (and/or less of) in the H6 OST?
i would put a D in it and release it as paid dlc...

Halo 5: ODST
Just hire Marty.
AMBR8978 wrote:
EVERYTHING!
No it needs more cowbell. Everything needs more cowbell.
I would pull a little more inspiration from the original series. It was nice to hear the chant back, as well as the original theme, but I feel like they could have been used more. Don't get me wrong, Kazuma Jinnouchi has done a fantastic job with 117 and Halo 5's soundtrack, but just incorporating more from Marty's work would make it even better.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4