Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

#HUNTTHETRUTH Episode 8 Discussion Thread

OP TryingHydra351

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 18
ROBERTO jh wrote:
I don't know if anyone has a similar theory, but it sounds like the aliens Chief went in for were probably related to the Arbiter, if not the Arbiter himself. John probably got wind of what ONI has been up to with the Kilo Five Trilogy, and now it's the UNSC (Chief) vs ONI (Locke) in some crazy secret civil war. I wouldn't be surprised if Pharo was someone working for ONI who was intentionally "leaking" things to the public, and Benjamin, to smear the Chief and UNSC. Just my theory though.
The peace delegate was of the UEG, the governing arm of the UNSC. So murdering his armed guard, killing civilians, only to kidnap and presumably assassinate the premiere peace ambassador from the UNSC would be a bit of a dumb move on Chief's part if he's attempting to fight ONI. ONI doesn't get involved in peace delegations.
Ah, didn't really know what the UEG was. Well then.... I tried :(
The best thing 343 could do right now for another commercial would be to make the footage an actual thing, possibly to find through the ARG.
LyleThe2nd wrote:
MrRuSs3LL wrote:
I think FERO must be someone who we haven't seen in the games before. Someone from the literature maybe? I doubt they'd use a different voice actor for the character just to throw us off, so it is probably someone we haven't heard speak before.
I disagree with you. If it was someone we've never heard before, they wouldn't be masking their voice.
They're masking her voice for the sake of the story I would assume. It wouldn't make sense for an incredibly secretive individual with a lot to hide to start talking to someone over the air without hiding who they are.

Why would they use Janina Gavankar rather than the actual voice actor unless its a character who hasn't had a voice actor previously? I mean, obviously people move on from jobs etc, and they could be using a different actor for that reason, but I think that is less likely.
I think we know FERO already. She (or he) is an already introduced character my top picks are Halsey and Petra. My far fetched guess is some surviving copy of Cortana. They would all have access to a lot of info, and be smart and capable enough to steal information they don't have access too. You guys agree?
Considering ONI's underhanded tactics, John's devotion to keeping humans alive, and the strange political climate in the canon I'd say it looks like a false flag operation. ONI would much rather have humans as the only intelligent species in the galaxy; they wouldn't want a shaky peace treaty. The Arbiter only has influence over a small percentage of the sangheili; lots of them still think they should kill all humans.
For all we know that could be another spartan wearing the same type of armor as John. It doesn't make any sense that the public on Earth seem so convinced that it's even him, considering he's not wearing the same armor as the last time anyone saw him. Either way I feel like the chief is a scapegoat here and not the real aggressor.
Or maybe it was John, and his target was not quite the peaceful activist everyone thought he was. Maybe the chief just didn't have time to -Yoink- around and he needed that guy for a very - galaxy saving - specific kind of mission. But probably not.
I think we know FERO already. She (or he) is an already introduced character my top picks are Halsey and Petra. My far fetched guess is some surviving copy of Cortana. They would all have access to a lot of info, and be smart and capable enough to steal information they don't have access too. You guys agree?
This reveals that FERO is a rebel leader, being voiced by Janina Gavankar.
I think we know FERO already. She (or he) is an already introduced character my top picks are Halsey and Petra. My far fetched guess is some surviving copy of Cortana. They would all have access to a lot of info, and be smart and capable enough to steal information they don't have access too. You guys agree?
Yes, we know who she Is. And she isn't Halsey nor Petra: http://news.xbox.com/2015/05/games-hunt-the-truth-podcast-episode-8 .
MrRuSs3LL wrote:
LyleThe2nd wrote:
MrRuSs3LL wrote:
I think FERO must be someone who we haven't seen in the games before. Someone from the literature maybe? I doubt they'd use a different voice actor for the character just to throw us off, so it is probably someone we haven't heard speak before.
I disagree with you. If it was someone we've never heard before, they wouldn't be masking their voice.
They're masking her voice for the sake of the story I would assume. It wouldn't make sense for an incredibly secretive individual with a lot to hide to start talking to someone over the air without hiding who they are.

Why would they use Janina Gavankar rather than the actual voice actor unless its a character who hasn't had a voice actor previously? I mean, obviously people move on from jobs etc, and they could be using a different actor for that reason, but I think that is less likely.
In addition to my above speculation, I'm pretty sure someone at 343 specifically said "Lore fans" will be excited when they find out who FERO is. That indicates that she may be from the extended universe rather than the core series.
Hey just throwing this out there but has anyone heard of "Metastability"?

As defined in the Halo canon: metastability is the fourth and final stage of rampancy (the inevitable death of a smart AI; ie Cortana, 343 G Spark) and completely theoretical. Metastability is said to be the final evolution of an AI, so much so that they trancend their Bekenstein Limit (the max amount of info in a finite space with finite energy) and overcome their rampancy. Only two AI in the known Halo Universe could possibly enter Metastability, 032 Mendicant Bias and

Cortana.
Quaydar wrote:
I think we know FERO already. She (or he) is an already introduced character my top picks are Halsey and Petra. My far fetched guess is some surviving copy of Cortana. They would all have access to a lot of info, and be smart and capable enough to steal information they don't have access too. You guys agree?
Yes, we know who she Is. And she isn't Halsey nor Petra: http://news.xbox.com/2015/05/games-hunt-the-truth-podcast-episode-8 .
I was unaware they had a podcast. Thanks! :)
Hey just throwing this out there but has anyone heard of "Metastability"?

As defined in the Halo canon: metastability is the fourth and final stage of rampancy (the inevitable death of a smart AI; ie Cortana, 343 G Spark) and completely theoretical. Metastability is said to be the final evolution of an AI, so much so that they trancend their Bekenstein Limit (the max amount of info in a finite space with finite energy) and overcome their rampancy. Only two AI in the known Halo Universe could possibly enter Metastability, 032 Mendicant Bias and

Cortana.
Except that she died. Not because of her rampancy, but because she was blown up on the Mantle's Approach.
Hey just throwing this out there but has anyone heard of "Metastability"?

As defined in the Halo canon: metastability is the fourth and final stage of rampancy (the inevitable death of a smart AI; ie Cortana, 343 G Spark) and completely theoretical. Metastability is said to be the final evolution of an AI, so much so that they trancend their Bekenstein Limit (the max amount of info in a finite space with finite energy) and overcome their rampancy. Only two AI in the known Halo Universe could possibly enter Metastability, 032 Mendicant Bias and

Cortana.
I think that wont change the fact that she is dead. Edit: I keep answering late :( what Anirudh07 said.
Hey just throwing this out there but has anyone heard of "Metastability"?

As defined in the Halo canon: metastability is the fourth and final stage of rampancy (the inevitable death of a smart AI; ie Cortana, 343 G Spark) and completely theoretical. Metastability is said to be the final evolution of an AI, so much so that they trancend their Bekenstein Limit (the max amount of info in a finite space with finite energy) and overcome their rampancy. Only two AI in the known Halo Universe could possibly enter Metastability, 032 Mendicant Bias and

Cortana.
Doesn't exist in the Halo canon. That's only an idea that was in Bungie's old games Marathon, but the various stages of rampancy from that game were never carried over officially so metastability in turn was not carried over either. Mendicant Bias was never metastable anyway. He was captured and ripped apart and then made so that he could only feel atonement for his actions. He has no free will. Likewise, Cortana also cannot be metastable. She's confirmed dead. Permanently. Zip. Gone.
This pretty much confirms FERO isn't Halsey. Not too sure if I'm surprised or not. I felt iffy about her being Halsey from the start, but the possibility was always there. I dunno.

Nice that the two Spartans from Halo Legends' "Homecoming" were mentioned.

It's amazing how this whole thing went from a retired reporter hunting for the truth to a reporter, a mysterious woman, and a former ODST working together to expose ONI to the fullest.

Anyways, the whole Chief killing 19 Humans to save aliens deal-eo. Hmmm... I figured it was all BS at first until the actual video feed showed it actually happening.

So, Chief doesn't like killing Humans, but obviously, if need be, he'd probably do it. But to get some aliens out of an embassy? It'd have to be super freaking important for him to do that. He wouldn't do that to betray Humanity. No way in hell. Whatever the reasoning, it's for the better of Humanity, it's just gotta be. I don't believe in the whole "Traitor" thing.

This Episode first had me shaking my head, then at the end of it scratching my head. HTT just continues to get better and better!
I'm surprised nobody suggested that ONI got a Spartan to wear a copy of Chief's armor and do all the work. Then again, ONI killing a human ambassador would damage the Chief's reputation and that's the last thing they need. If the Chief is a hero then that in turn means that ONI was right in creating the Spartan Program and is therefore free of scrutiny. With Chief as a traitor they have to deal with something that they created doing very public acts of violence.

ONI is powerful, but they only have power by keeping everything in the shadows. Even if they technically have more power than the UEG that only works if nobody questions it. If the UEG were to find out about everything in the Spartan Program like it seems they are about to then ONI loses all their power since the light is being shined on them.
It's a trap; FERO is CINCONI Serin Osman.

Ben, get out of there!
dude527 wrote:
BrawlyBoss wrote:
So master chief blows rights into the peace delegation shoots 19 guards and the body guard of Richard zekeebo a human peace delegate, takes Richard hostage and escorts the alien peace delegates to a drop ship to take off planet but before they took off does chief shoot Richard? Was he involved in some ONI plot to kill the alien delegates? Before they took off Richard was probably armed and held a alien delegate at gunpoint and spilled the beans on who and why he did it then chief shot him and left who's knows, all I know is chief always has a reason for what he does i still believe in the masterchief :D
He wasn't assigned by ONI, he reassigned Blue Team himself, defying direct orders.
Those direct orders were from Lord Hood, who is not on ONI's payroll. I'm thinking that if John-117, the hyper lethal vector, wanted to refuse shore leave and go on top secret operations outside of his traditional chain of command with his squad of Spartan-II Commandos, this would probably be something ONI would be on board with. In other words, it's really hard to say whether or not they were involved with this. Because of the ONI brass setting up an appointment with top UEG senators, my gut is telling me that Earth is blaming ONI, regardless of whether or not Blue Team is genuinely AWOL, because since his return after Halo 4, he's been on their leash. Earth seems to consider the Master Chief ONI's responsibility and this is no accident. The episode doesn't spell it right out for us, but there is a definite connection between John's actions and ONI.
I agree. There is some connection, but if I assume correctly then this conference was in the highest level of code red classification. There would have been very few people who knew about this, but since John is an enlisted soldier, his moniker "Master Chief" is "Master Chief Petty Officer" which is an enlisted rank in the Navy, he would not have had the clearance to know about it. Which leads me to believe someone had to have spilled it to him, very few people would have been able to do that.

What comes next may seem far-fetched but at the same time that might just make it all the more true

It was revealed that when Cortana was given to the Master Chief, she had the latest in hacking and anti-hacking software, and was able to copy the original and modify it on the fly to suit the situation. In essence Cortana is a living virus, able to hack her way into anything, even Forerunner tech. So what makes it so hard to believe that she was able to hack into the highest level of classification and give it to John?

"Hold on, wasn't Cortana destroyed with the Didact's ship?" You ask.
"What if she was able to escape?"

Since all Forerunner technology is linked (on account that Spark said Delta Halo was "...communicating at superluminal speeds..." with the rest of the arrays that is more than likely possible) Cortana just might have been able to escape through slipspace.

"But Cortana was going into the final stages of rampancy." You counter.
"Yes she was."
"Huh?"

Let me give you some food for thought...
Have you heard of "Metastability?"
What if there were other Forerunner constructs outside our galaxy, even Precursor constructs?
And just what was that anomaly Mshak was tracking from Deep Space?
Hey just throwing this out there but has anyone heard of "Metastability"?

As defined in the Halo canon: metastability is the fourth and final stage of rampancy (the inevitable death of a smart AI; ie Cortana, 343 G Spark) and completely theoretical. Metastability is said to be the final evolution of an AI, so much so that they trancend their Bekenstein Limit (the max amount of info in a finite space with finite energy) and overcome their rampancy. Only two AI in the known Halo Universe could possibly enter Metastability, 032 Mendicant Bias and

Cortana.
She is definitely not Cortana. This FERO isn't Jen Taylor, so get that out of your head.

However, has anyone entertained the possibility of it being Serin Osman?

Let's think about it for a second.

First off, I have searched and searched and searched for the voice actor of Serin Osman in Spartan Ops, and cannot find her. Reddit didn't help and there is no cast and crew list. Sometime tonight I'll play the last mission of SO and see if there is a credits for them.
Anyways, I don't know who the voice actor is. However, based off the tone, and the style of which she speaks, as Mishak CLEARLY calls FERO a she, she kind of sounds like Serin. It sounds authoritative and calculating, and hurt.

Serin wants Halsey dead, yes? Osman has a reason for that. She is a washed out Spartan. A Spartan II that had her body fail the augmentation process. Yet she lived to go to ONI.

But why would she want to destroy ONI? To have complete control over everyone. UEG, UNSC, ONI. HIGHCOM. Everybody, she could control. But here's a problem that she will face. She is a Spartan washout, and would be expected to hate Halsey right? But she is also the commander in chief of ONI.

Who else would be able to get everyone together in one room. Halsey? They don't trust her, she's a war criminal with the Janus Key. A rebel leader? With ONI and UEG? They would take her hostage and threaten the faction. Cortana? Cortana is dead. And Jen Taylor is not the voice actor.

So she wants absolute power. Who stands in her way? The Master Chief, The Arbiter, and Agent Locke. Yes, Locke can stand in her way. Why? He understands what is right. Nightfall, nightfall shows us that. What better way to remove your two most powerful and clear minded Spartans than by having them fight each other. Fight each other to the death. She has already done several missions on SANGHELIOS to try and keep the rebellion going! She knows how to manipulate events to have them blow up in peoples faces. The Arbiter is clueless, Locke has no idea. Chief does. His mission, is to keep her from obtaining her goal.

What better way, than to get her to act. The live action trailers and this episode confirm that. She acted, and he went along with it. But he can't do much can he? Not with Locke now being assigned to eliminate him.

So she wants to reform ONI. This is more proof that it could very likely be Serin. Why? What other high ranking official can call an emergency meeting, a MEETING to decide on how to deal with Chief. How about a specific Commander in Chief of ONI? Who's the current one? Serin Osman. Bring them together, get Ben in there to show what he has found. Have the, what was it? Councilors? Have the councilors react to what Ben found, dissipate ONI, and rebuild it under her banner. She wasn't in office at the time, and recent events under her name, Ben hasn't found. So she can easily shrug it off and rebuild. And slowly take over everyone.

But why? Why would she want this? Why would she want to control it? Guess what Ben found this episode. The graph that clearly shows that these Spartans were taken from the outer colonies to fight the outer colonies. How would you feel? You failed at becoming a Spartan, and you learn that other Spartans had Flash Clones replace them, and that they were living their lives. How would you feel? Well, those two Spartans showed how they would feel. Who caused the pain? Well, Halsey is a good scapegoat, but ONI did it. Halsey KNOWS that Serin hates her, but she also knows that ONI had a different hand in it. Remember when Halsey roasts Palmer in Escalation? She talked about Serin and ONI like they were different. Why? Because Serin hates ONI as well.

Halsey made the Spartans. Serin hates her for that. ONI used the Spartans to change and manipulate children to fight wars against their families. How would you feel? Bitter, used, and worthless. So Serin wants to remove and restart everyone, and control everything so that this type of thing NEVER happens again.

How would she do that? Locke. A new powerful breed of Spartans. What better way to test your specially procured Spartan than to test it against a Spartan of old. The Master Chief himself. But how could she do all of that? By manipulating an event out of context, bringing everyone together, saying what they should do, have Ben drop the truth bomb on them, and use Locke as the starting for a new age.

But why try and eliminate him? Why Locke? Because Locke is not the bad guy. Not fully. He is to #TeamChief 's eyes, and to ONI. He will indeed hunt the Chief, believing that what he is doing is right, and that Chief is trying to kill people for no reason. That human ambassador? Blew up an embassy? Its a start. So, stop him. But Locke is fighting the Chief, and hopefully he will be weak enough that Serin can easily remove him without any trouble. She is still a Spartan after all.

And here's the thing. If Serin does take control of everything, she will need proper resources to fully work. Who happened to have all Forerunner artifacts imprinted on a certain Janus Key? The Librarian. Who has been fueling Elite rebellions? Serin. Who was at Requiem first? Jul' Mdame, a rebel leader. Who has the Janus Key now? Halsey.

Halsey, accidentally and unintentionally played into Serins hands. "Recover the Janus Key and kill Halsey, the defector." What a great way to scapegoat a smart scientist while still getting you what you want. If Serin had the Janus Key, and rebuilt ONI with all the Forerunner artifacts. Game over. Who can stop her? Spartans.

Who wants and loves absolute control?

Serin. It all points, to Serin.
Haruko wrote:
It's a trap; FERO is CINCONI Serin Osman.

Ben, get out of there!
You beat me to my post. Read my post, much more detailed than yours.
Dodger9296 wrote:
Hey just throwing this out there but has anyone heard of "Metastability"?

As defined in the Halo canon: metastability is the fourth and final stage of rampancy (the inevitable death of a smart AI; ie Cortana, 343 G Spark) and completely theoretical. Metastability is said to be the final evolution of an AI, so much so that they trancend their Bekenstein Limit (the max amount of info in a finite space with finite energy) and overcome their rampancy. Only two AI in the known Halo Universe could possibly enter Metastability, 032 Mendicant Bias and

Cortana.
She is definitely not Cortana. This FERO isn't Jen Taylor, so get that out of your head.

However, has anyone entertained the possibility of it being Serin Osman?

Let's think about it for a second.

First off, I have searched and searched and searched for the voice actor of Serin Osman in Spartan Ops, and cannot find her. Reddit didn't help and there is no cast and crew list. Sometime tonight I'll play the last mission of SO and see if there is a credits for them.
Anyways, I don't know who the voice actor is. However, based off the tone, and the style of which she speaks, as Mishak CLEARLY calls FERO a she, she kind of sounds like Serin. It sounds authoritative and calculating, and hurt.

Serin wants Halsey dead, yes? Osman has a reason for that. She is a washed out Spartan. A Spartan II that had her body fail the augmentation process. Yet she lived to go to ONI.

But why would she want to destroy ONI? To have complete control over everyone. UEG, UNSC, ONI. HIGHCOM. Everybody, she could control. But here's a problem that she will face. She is a Spartan washout, and would be expected to hate Halsey right? But she is also the commander in chief of ONI.

Who else would be able to get everyone together in one room. Halsey? They don't trust her, she's a war criminal with the Janus Key. A rebel leader? With ONI and UEG? They would take her hostage and threaten the faction. Cortana? Cortana is dead. And Jen Taylor is not the voice actor.

So she wants absolute power. Who stands in her way? The Master Chief, The Arbiter, and Agent Locke. Yes, Locke can stand in her way. Why? He understands what is right. Nightfall, nightfall shows us that. What better way to remove your two most powerful and clear minded Spartans than by having them fight each other. Fight each other to the death. She has already done several missions on SANGHELIOS to try and keep the rebellion going! She knows how to manipulate events to have them blow up in peoples faces. The Arbiter is clueless, Locke has no idea. Chief does. His mission, is to keep her from obtaining her goal.

What better way, than to get her to act. The live action trailers and this episode confirm that. She acted, and he went along with it. But he can't do much can he? Not with Locke now being assigned to eliminate him.

So she wants to reform ONI. This is more proof that it could very likely be Serin. Why? What other high ranking official can call an emergency meeting, a MEETING to decide on how to deal with Chief. How about a specific Commander in Chief of ONI? Who's the current one? Serin Osman. Bring them together, get Ben in there to show what he has found. Have the, what was it? Councilors? Have the councilors react to what Ben found, dissipate ONI, and rebuild it under her banner. She wasn't in office at the time, and recent events under her name, Ben hasn't found. So she can easily shrug it off and rebuild. And slowly take over everyone.

But why? Why would she want this? Why would she want to control it? Guess what Ben found this episode. The graph that clearly shows that these Spartans were taken from the outer colonies to fight the outer colonies. How would you feel? You failed at becoming a Spartan, and you learn that other Spartans had Flash Clones replace them, and that they were living their lives. How would you feel? Well, those two Spartans showed how they would feel. Who caused the pain? Well, Halsey is a good scapegoat, but ONI did it. Halsey KNOWS that Serin hates her, but she also knows that ONI had a different hand in it. Remember when Halsey roasts Palmer in Escalation? She talked about Serin and ONI like they were different. Why? Because Serin hates ONI as well.

Halsey made the Spartans. Serin hates her for that. ONI used the Spartans to change and manipulate children to fight wars against their families. How would you feel? Bitter, used, and worthless. So Serin wants to remove and restart everyone, and control everything so that this type of thing NEVER happens again.

How would she do that? Locke. A new powerful breed of Spartans. What better way to test your specially procured Spartan than to test it against a Spartan of old. The Master Chief himself. But how could she do all of that? By manipulating an event out of context, bringing everyone together, saying what they should do, have Ben drop the truth bomb on them, and use Locke as the starting for a new age.

But why try and eliminate him? Why Locke? Because Locke is not the bad guy. Not fully. He is to #TeamChief 's eyes, and to ONI. He will indeed hunt the Chief, believing that what he is doing is right, and that Chief is trying to kill people for no reason. That human ambassador? Blew up an embassy? Its a start. So, stop him. But Locke is fighting the Chief, and hopefully he will be weak enough that Serin can easily remove him without any trouble. She is still a Spartan after all.

And here's the thing. If Serin does take control of everything, she will need proper resources to fully work. Who happened to have all Forerunner artifacts imprinted on a certain Janus Key? The Librarian. Who has been fueling Elite rebellions? Serin. Who was at Requiem first? Jul' Mdame, a rebel leader. Who has the Janus Key now? Halsey.

Halsey, accidentally and unintentionally played into Serins hands. "Recover the Janus Key and kill Halsey, the defector." What a great way to scapegoat a smart scientist while still getting you what you want. If Serin had the Janus Key, and rebuilt ONI with all the Forerunner artifacts. Game over. Who can stop her? Spartans.

Who wants and loves absolute control?

Serin. It all points, to Serin.
Yes
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 18