Skip to main content
As the title says, I really enjoy Halo 5 and its gameplay.

That being said I'm going to be honest when I say it doesn't fit Halo at all. I was recently playing Halo 5 and if this was a stand alone IP, I think Halo 5 would have seen much more success. Halo 5 is only a Halo game in name alone. I feel like 343i could have gone all out with the Advance Mobility Arena Shooter they were striving for, if they didn't have to attempt to ground the game in ways because it is supposed to be a Halo game.

Halo 5 G already has Sprint, Clamber, slide, GP, stabilize and Charge. How cool would it have been if you could run on the walls, jump off, and stabilize into and ground pound. Or have cool interactions like if two players charge into each other they both get knocked back while slightly destroying the environment around them. When you unchain the fact that Halo 5's mechanics are being thrown into a hybrid situation, the possibilities are endless for this type of gameplay to evolve into something truly next generation.

Microsoft should really take Halo 5's multiplayer and give it its own IP so that we can see what would become of it, if given the chance to evolve. I truly believe that in the future 343i needs to return to classic Halo because the demand is there. MCC and Halo online proved that much, and the decline in Halo 4 and 5's population also backs the fact. There's push back for Halo to continue to copy the shooters around them because Microsoft doesn't have a franchise dedicated to that. So people who enjoy Halo 5 wants this continued with battle passes, sprint, and the whole nine yards. But wouldn't it be better if we had a new franchise that evolves Halo 5's gameplay and gives us the battle passes, Battle royals, advance mobility, and so on?

Halo 5 is fun and the abilities flow together, but it is night and day when it comes to what is expected for Halo.
If Halo 5 was a standalone ip I’m sure it would have seen much more success. But as a Halo game I, and most Halo fans, understand why it has flopped. It is a good game, just not a good Halo game.

Regarding enhanced abilities, me personally it ruins the flow of combat and takes away from the skill of the player. Thrusters are a “get out of jail for free” card since they can move in any direction and throw the player off. The only thing they got right is sprint, which doesn’t recharge shields until you start walking.

and the campaign was awful
I agree that Halo 5 is a good game... and i like it, I really do... but when you compare it to other games in the franchise, it doesn’t hold up and the part the really bothers me is that instead of trying to fix it, 343 went the other direction and focused on MCC instead. I think if they would have taken the time to at a minimum, fixed some of the things that were broken with it... it would have been great and I really wish they would... unfortunately with the current status of things, they most likely won’t bother... and that a shame... at least i think so.
My relationship with halo 5 is complicated... More like a love hate relationship.
If Halo 5 was a standalone ip I’m sure it would have seen much more success. But as a Halo game I, and most Halo fans, understand why it has flopped. It is a good game, just not a good Halo game.

Regarding enhanced abilities, me personally it ruins the flow of combat and takes away from the skill of the player. Thrusters are a “get out of jail for free” card since they can move in any direction and throw the player off. The only thing they got right is sprint, which doesn’t recharge shields until you start walking.

Thing is, it really didn't flop. You would think so based on the outcry from the people who disliked it, but it really was quite popular. It sold 5 million copies in 3 months, and that was back when the Xbox One was REALLY struggling. Who knows how much it made in additional money from Microtransactions and further sales after that point, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made more money than most of the other Halo games. Polarizing is what Halo 5 is more than anything.
Mongerty wrote:

Thing is, it really didn't flop. You would think so based on the outcry from the people who disliked it, but it really was quite popular. It sold 5 million copies in 3 months, and that was back when the Xbox One was REALLY struggling. Who knows how much it made in additional money from Microtransactions and further sales after that point, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made more money than most of the other Halo games. Polarizing is what Halo 5 is more than anything.
Sales figures are one thing. Population is another. The game saw a drastic dive in population numbers after the first couple of months. Firstly due to missing content, a horrible campaign, and god-awful unlock system.
Mongerty wrote:

Sales figures are one thing. Population is another. The game saw a drastic dive in population numbers after the first couple of months. Firstly due to missing content, a horrible campaign, and god-awful unlock system.
Generally, Flop is used as a descriptor for complete lack of commercial success. That said, we don't even have hard numbers for population, only estimates based on performance against games that had population counters. Even if they were "Flop" low, it took a few years for the population to become low enough for playlists to become unpopulated.
Subject: “I Enjoy Halo 5”:

Me too! 😬
Well I agree with your title. Although I am a fan since CE and the campaign left me scarred and disappointed, the multiplayer’s enhanced movement really gives me the best “spartan” experience. Never felt so powerful and nimble, fingers crossed that infinite will relight the soul and keeps the powerful feeling of being a Spartan alive :)
Well I agree with your title. Although I am a fan since CE and the campaign left me scarred and disappointed, the multiplayer’s enhanced movement really gives me the best “spartan” experience. Never felt so powerful and nimble, fingers crossed that infinite will relight the soul and keeps the powerful feeling of being a Spartan alive :)
As long as thrusters are removed. They can keep everything else

If Halo 5 was marketed properly I'm sure it would have been received better, its something that 343 has learned in my opinion which is why it seems as though they are being so forth right with these development blogs. I think the best case for Halo 5 would have been to drop the number, and make it Halo: Osiris Team, or Osiris chronicles, date the name later, but if they gave us the expectation that a majority of the game was from their point of view and that the mechanics are based in Spartan 4 training etc it would have been received much better, it would even elevate the Blue Team sections as they could have left that in as a surprise treat. While remaining focused on Locke and the rest of his teams story.
I've been growing to like it. It's not my favorite Halo title/story by any means, but I've been seeing what people like in Halo 5 much more clearly.

Still wish the customization wasn't so gutted/Firefight wasn't janky.
Im a campaign player first and am really into achievement hunting and unlocking things via challenges in the Halo series. There are mechanics and areas that Halo 5 was significantly sub-par on in my opinion.

MP was balanced and had innovative features I guess, but the bland rankings system, unrewarding comm and rewards systems, and the predatory MT and Req systems made it so much harder to just enjoy the game. If you can get past that I can see why MP players enjoy it, just not my Halo game to be honest and I am very glad 343 is moving in a different direction.
Im a campaign player first and am really into achievement hunting and unlocking things via challenges in the Halo series. There are mechanics and areas that Halo 5 was significantly sub-par on in my opinion.

MP was balanced and had innovative features I guess, but the bland rankings system, unrewarding comm and rewards systems, and the predatory MT and Req systems made it so much harder to just enjoy the game. If you can get past that I can see why MP players enjoy it, just not my Halo game to be honest and I am very glad 343 is moving in a different direction.
Halo 5 definitely has its problem. I liked the campaign and when I switched over to the MP, I had a good time in the beginning. Now that I've played for a while, a lot of the problems 5 has are becoming more and more apparent. Things like matchmaking, game mechanics and some of the bugs the people here have been talking about for a while. I think 343 did the game a disservice by not taking the time to fix the issues this game had. They bit off more than they could chew by fixing MCC AND working on Infinite, it's their decision and it is what it is. I think if they would have spent time fixing 5 instead of MCC (which is just older game put together)... it would be get a better reputation and have a higher population.

I like some of the things I'm seeing about Infinite, but some of the things I'm seeing, and the rumours I'm hearing worry me that Halo is turning into a game I'm going to struggle mightily with and not enjoy. I'm still definitely going play and see what it's like. Just not sure how the open world will work, we'll have to wait and see what happens.
I enjoyed it a lot too, I liked it more than Halo 4 tbh, but I get that a lot of people were expecting something completely different than what they got. I just finished all halo games recently, so I didn't lived the hype of Halo 5 but whoa, those ad campaigns sure were misleading as heck.
I like halo reach over 4 and 5. They should have made a halo reach 2 and 3 instead of halo 4 and 5. My opinion. I still play halo 5 not for ranking up but for fun! I think it has enjoyable features and I switch from playing MCC to halo 5 until infinite comes out. Fingers crossed that halo Infinite halo all of the halo features everyone wants in one game. Sorry dual wielding elites maybe you’ll get you’re own stand alone game someday…