Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

I'm already starting to hate firefight...

OP The Omeggos

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
What started as pure enjoyment for the passed few days is quickly starting to lose it's luster. Now that the endless amount of gold and silver packs are drying out I can finally see this mode for what it is. And what is that?

Incomplete, unbalanced and at times just simply dull or agitating.

For starters, why is there JIP? Oh right, because people are either disconnecting or AFK'ing at the start of the match. Nice to see I'm frequently teamed up with those types of people.
But why are people joining in after round 4 starts? Why have I been placed into matches where it's round 3-5 with just seconds left?? This isnt fun 343i! And the problem is this happens about 1/3 of the time for me. JIP should abruptly be turned off as soon as round 2 is over. Not 3. Let alone 4.

Next up, let's talk spawning. Yes I get it, the spawn timer goes up every round, at first I was glad to see some balance and ententives not to die. But in practice, the enemies do a ton of damage, there's plenty that can take a ton of damage (we'll cover bullet sponges later) there's a ton of them and half of them (specifically promies) have friggin' homing weapons. You're gonna die. You're gonna die again after that. And then again after that. So when you die and in later rounds have to wait for 1/5-1/4 of the timer just to spawn. ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE -Yoinking!- MAP. It gets boring and very frustrating.

Now let's talk bosses. Bosses have waaaaay too much health and the incremental precentage required seems to high for making assists or boss kills (Dont you love spawning in time to just help out take out that last piece of the boss's health? Especially after how you took out half it's health by yourself for two minutes just to finally die? Well I hope you wont miss those points you're not going to get!) It especially sucks in the last round if you're unlucky enough to be dealing with a first wave of 2-3 legendary knights followed by the warden trio in less than five minutes in the last round. Especially when they're hiding in the damn base SURROUNDED BY A HORDE OF CONSTANTLY SPAWNING ENEMIES

Now let's talking about the incredibly inconsistent difficulty. The rounds are clearly chosen at random some are much harder than others. Protecting the several shards from generic covies as a finale for example is much easier than, say, the warden finale.

It would also be nice if the req levels sped up a bit. In the first two rounds I feel like I die more often because we're generally hunting down 100 enemies or protecting a base that's already 50% taken since we have to run all the way across the map to get there BECAUSE WHY THE -Yoink- NOT!?! armed with only a pistol and AR. It doesnt need to be turbo warzone boost in req speed but even a 20% in speed would play out so much better.

/rant
Everything you said, agreed.
Yeah the spawn timers, enemy health and damage are ridiculous
I was so skeptical about all the gold packs... it's kinda like a fish to a hook, your bated in and then after a while you find yourself stuck.

If the rewards were somewhat consistent, such as a sliver pack every win, that would be okay to some extent.
Five legendary mantises should either be a final round or nerf their health...losing at round 4 against these guys on the new map continues to be frustrating
sniper945 wrote:
I was so skeptical about all the gold packs... it's kinda like a fish to a hook, your bated in and then after a while you find yourself stuck.

If the rewards were somewhat consistent, such as a sliver pack every win, that would be okay to some extent.
I took the bait
Now that the new has worn off I find myself heading back to regular warzone, where the reqs are actually useful. At least half the reqs are of no use at all in FF due to the AI requiring so many shots to kill. For example a SPNKR is a total waste, you aren't killing anything with that in FF. You might soften it up. Maybe. I'd rather it be too easy than too hard, but I guess 343 decided that if folks complained about the ff beta being too easy, they'd cure that problem.
I'm starting to get pissed being disconnected from every 3rd game.
I'm starting to get pissed being disconnected from every 3rd game.
I havent that happen yet, but when infection first came out it certainly did
Now that the new has worn off I find myself heading back to regular warzone, where the reqs are actually useful. At least half the reqs are of no use at all in FF due to the AI requiring so many shots to kill. For example a SPNKR is a total waste, you aren't killing anything with that in FF. You might soften it up. Maybe. I'd rather it be too easy than too hard, but I guess 343 decided that if folks complained about the ff beta being too easy, they'd cure that problem.
I for one never complained about the beta cause I didn't have a large enough sample size to say anything useful about it.

I think FF could definitely have a more difficult, challenging mode, but 343 really has this idea that we constantly want to try hard ALL THE TIME. What's wrong with an easy mode playlist where we can just mess around with REQ's... I swear to god, last night, I got this sweet SPNKR out, I walk out after checking my immediate surroundings and I get insta headshot by god knows what, halfway across the map. Nevermind you running towards enemies with anything half decent, chances are pretty good you're going to get plowed into the ground before you get there. I thought FF would be the one gamemode I wouldn't have to worry about constantly losing great REQ's. A level 6 sniper doesn't even do a ton of damage on the later bosses. There is zero incentive to use them in favor of a tank with unlimited ammo. Items with equal REQ value should have somewhat equal value in damage output imo...
I agree, I'm not enjoying myself in wzff.
Last night was the breaking point for me. My W/L percentage is 33% and I've just had enough of trying to kill 3 wardens in the back of the base that can only be killed with vehicles, but the wardens are being blocked by the massive walls in the back of the base.

Add to that a few disconnects (I've received a"You have left the fireteam" message while playing solo) and a glitch where if I JIP I can't call in any REQS because my energy doesn't recharge (Video). Once I get my 10th win and 5 gold packs, I'll probably avoid WZFF until it becomes a little more user-friendly
I have to agree it has its issues but im still thoroughly enjoying it. 343 are open to feedback on the mode though so I recommend heading to the official feedback thread and venting in there (in a constructive way of course).

For me the 2 biggest issues are respawn locations and weapon REQs. They need like 2 or 3 times more ammo to be useful.
Some good points here and I like that we are keeping it relatively civil. These should all be posted in the warzone firefight feedback thread to ensure 343 will have a look. Those 3 wardens in the back of the base tho, or the two on raid on apex 7 that spawn round 2 or 3 and are accompanied by 30 incineration cannon Knights, has to be the hardest halo boss encounters ever.
Last night was the breaking point for me. My W/L percentage is 33% and I've just had enough of trying to kill 3 wardens in the back of the base that can only be killed with vehicles, but the wardens are being blocked by the massive walls in the back of the base.

Add to that a few disconnects (I've received a"You have left the fireteam" message while playing solo) and a glitch where if I JIP I can't call in any REQS because my energy doesn't recharge (Video). Once I get my 10th win and 5 gold packs, I'll probably avoid WZFF until it becomes a little more user-friendly
Glad you posted this. The same thing happened to me. I joined Apex in progress, and the req energy wouldn't charge. That ended up being a totally wasted match for me.

And overall, I gotta agree with the OP. At this point, I may play WZFF on occasion, but I'm pretty much moving back to the rest of the playlist. WZFF toggles between boring and frustrating to me.

So when you die and in later rounds have to wait for 1/5-1/4 of the timer just to spawn. ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE -Yoinking!- MAP. It gets boring and very frustrating.

Admittedly, the spawning miles from anywhere useful is prevalent in standard firefight too. I don't know how many times in Apex 7 I get killed defending the spire from the enemy, only to respawn at the beach, which gives me just enough time to get back to the spire as it gets capped...

But absolutely agree, respawn time and location are definitely in need of a tweak
Even when i lose im still having fun.
You'd think that dying in the earlier rounds would punish me more than dying in later rounds due to the weaker enemies.

But nope, I can die 4 times in the first round and still look better than the guy who died once in the last round.

Don't forget how a boss can just decide to regenerate health as it pleases.
Now that Halo is free for a week I'm enjoying it even less. Losing games within the first round, come to find out half of my team is below SR5. Like why am I even being paired with these people? Someone please report me so I can go back to avoid me where the good players have their own queue.
Dont you love spawning in time to just help out take out that last piece of the boss's health? Especially after how you took out half it's health by yourself for two minutes just to finally die? Well I hope you wont miss those points you're not going to get!
I'm glad somebody FINALLY brought this up. This is one of the most frustrating things about this gamemode (and warzone in general honestly). But yeah, I agree with the rest of your points as well OP. Too many impossible scenarios mixed with mind numbingly easy objectives. Very inconsistent...
You'd think that dying in the earlier rounds would punish me more than dying in later rounds due to the weaker enemies.

But nope, I can die 4 times in the first round and still look better than the guy who died once in the last round.

Don't forget how a boss can just decide to regenerate health as it pleases.
I've noticed this as well, everyone knows that watchers can heal soldiers, knights and warden eternal, but for some odd reason even the mantisses, mantie or whatever the plural of mantis is, phaetons and basically every vehicle that contain a forerunner is healed after a certain time of not getting any damage.

OT.
I usually give up when round 3 is destroy the phaeton helmsmen or the mantis helmsmen seeing as I was only able to complete it once.

Also I love dying to a grunt who shoots me 3 times with a plasma pistol, from full health, really makes me feel like a modified super soldier.

Also I am yet to complete the final wave with the 3 warden eternals in the home base, but then again about 85% of my matches end in failure, because my teammates usually refuse to call in any req's. (or 5 of my teammates call in wraiths when fighting the 4 temple banshee's because thats a smart thing to do)

All in all i'm just waiting till the free trial is over and I finally get some teammates over SR20.
And don't even get me started on the 30 second respawn timer only to spawn at the other side of the map and get killed before you get near the objective.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3