Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

I really wanna buy this game but...

OP Carnag72

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The download size is so damn big! Why is it a 80gb download? MCC is 5 halo games combined and its about 60GB.. (which is kinda ok because like half the download is off the disk) This is a problem for me because I only have 500gb worth of space and a lot of games, and my internet speed is 3mb/so so it would take like 3 days to download and I would still have to pause it a lot so that my family can use the internet without it being slow. Can't buy it as a disk, id rather not explain why because I don't want to make this topic too long

TL; DR: Why is the file size for this game so big?
There have been many updates to the game, I believe the total size is over 120GB since there has been so much content additions.
They don't compress would be my guess. No reason for it to be almost 100 GB.
I know what you mean. I decided to buy an external hard drive because of this(yay garage sales!). It is nice to have more space available, but if you don't have the cash to upgrade your storage, then you might have to wait until you get more space.

Also, if you can, an internet cafe or a cyber space area is a great location to download big stuff like this. My internet cafe let me use their 150 mbs speed to re-download halo 5 and other stuff for $2.
Even if you bought the disk it would still pick up the latest update when you put it in, so you'll still be downloading 100gb or so either way methinks.
If you do buy and download you might still be annoyed when the multiplayer servers keep crashing anyway.
Your choice!
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why Halo 5 takes up so much space. Like, where does it all go?

Though I have noticed a lot of games have been getting larger. I mean GoW4 is 85GB, Titanfall 2 is almost 60, DOOM is 70.. They aren't quite the magnitude of H5 but it seems that games are just gonna be taking up more space as time goes on. I'd invest in an external HD, it's probably the best option going forward.
Main reason it takes up so much space is because after the base game they kept adding updates but the updates weren't compressed so it's just like a lot of fluff on top of the game. Overall though the games definitely worth it
Danny Five wrote:
Overall though the games definitely worth it
It would depend on what kind of Halo you like. There's the people who despise 343's Halos and love Bungie's, and vice versa.
My guess is that the game started getting more updates and included more features. I think back during launch, there was only campaign and multiplayer which was relatively small. People wanted theater and forge which got implemented in later. Also Warzone was added in and etc etc. More stuff got added in the game and the overall result was a larger size. I got Halo 5 in January 2017 and my total file size was almost 90-100GB.

If I were you and just like what everyone else is saying; go invest in a external hard drive, make it 4TB or larger if possible (I have a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB and just crammed everything in it). Games nowadays are getting larger and larger with all the updates, features, graphics, space, and more. For downloads, just leave your console on and download the game overnight.
I feel you OP.

I have VERY limited data. I had to go to my gf's house to DL the Halo 5 updates. I bought the game on disc (Disc are better :p) installed it first (do this offline, it'll install faster) then got the updates. If disc isn't an option, which sounds like it's not, then the only thing I can say is try to go to a friends house that has good speed and data, but make sure you find out there data limits first. Don't want anyone mad at you using up all there data :P

I honestly would like to know too, why we have to DL all the forge stuff. In this day in age, you'd almost think they could make forge separate from the rest of the game. I know forge takes up a lot (Like 40+gigs or something?) because of Halo 5 on the PC. It's be nice if people on xbox could have the option to not DL forge. I mean, if you never use it, who cares if you have it right.

Anyways, I hope you figure something out OP. The days of getting a game (on Cartridge, Disc etc) and being able to play it right away are long gone... :(
The asset files are uncompressed for a lossless format. This means that everything looks good but takes up a lot of space. It's about 96.6GB and a majority of it comes from the campaign and warzone stuff. Then forge assets and after that arena.
Yeah I hate to break it to you, but like DLC and everything else, download sizes are only going to get bigger as devs push for 4k and higher quality audio, those texture packs and hq audio are the biggest culprits.
adhocRONIN wrote:
Yeah I hate to break it to you, but like DLC and everything else, download sizes are only going to get bigger as devs push for 4k and higher quality audio, those texture packs and hq audio are the biggest culprits.
Exactly true. The assets take up about 80% of the size and these assets are normally in a lossless format
eems69 wrote:
Danny Five wrote:
It would depend on what kind of Halo you like. There's the people who despise 343's Halos and love Bungie's, and vice versa.
As a huge fan of both new and old (CE is my first and favorite, but I'm still a big fan of Reach through 5 ... or really 4 & 5, since we're doing the whole "Bungie v. 343" thing, like that's constructive), I'm not sure there is a "vice versa" ... I don't know anyone who actually dislikes the old games. I mean, how do you play Halo 4 or 5 while you "despise" the ones that came before and are the reason the new ones exist in the first place? That'd be a kin to loving the Star Wars prequels while hating the original three films. You may want to after all the haters rip on you and the newer movies/games you like (be it Star Wars or Halo), but I'm honestly never met anyone who hates the originals in any franchise while only being a fan of the newer stuff. You can knock Halo 3's campaign or BXR in Halo 2 or point out flaws here & there, but overall, it'd just be weird to be a big fan of Halo 4 & 5 and hate CE-3. Then again, you may have just been using a figure of speech there.
They don't compress would be my guess.
LethalQ wrote:
Because it's so full of awesomeness 🙂
this pretty much sums it up

You should really get a disk version or the download will take forever. Also an external hard drive.
I have no -Yoinking!- idea lol Isn't it at lie 100 or so gb at the moment? It's slowly happening to Gears 4 as well. Every time a big updates comes out its 5gb+.
eems69 wrote:
Danny Five wrote:
Im one of the people who hate 343 but love bungie, but I still play 343 halo games. I mean, halo 5 isnt a good halo game imo but its a reaaaally good fps game with no paid DLCs
I know what you mean. I decided to buy an external hard drive because of this(yay garage sales!). It is nice to have more space available, but if you don't have the cash to upgrade your storage, then you might have to wait until you get more space.

Also, if you can, an internet cafe or a cyber space area is a great location to download big stuff like this. My internet cafe let me use their 150 mbs speed to re-download halo 5 and other stuff for $2.
Well I highly doubt there is an internet cafe in Middle East with internet like that. Internet as fast as that exists here, just not in Internet cafes.

I see a lot of people telling me to buy a disk even though I said in the main post that I can't lol, I'd rather not make this post too long so I'll just keep it short and simple: I live in Middle East and console games are rarely sold here, when they are sold here they are very expensive.

Anyways thanks for the replies everyone, Im probably not going to buy it now due to low disk space, slow internet (unlimited data tho :p) so Ill probably pick it up sometime in the future.
One of the reasons why Halo 5 is so much larger is because of the graphics.

Graphics take up a lot of space.
Only Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 takes almost half space of your hard drive. I think the problem here is the default Xbox One hard drive is just not enough for the games that are easily surpassing 50GB without any updates.

If you buy a Xbox One keep in mind you will need to buy a hard drive if you want more than five games in your library.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2