Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Is 343 ever going to update the BR?

OP seawolf15

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm not sure where I read it, but I was under the impression that 343 was gonna take one last stab at balancing the BR. Most people I talk to greatly dislike the high vertical recoil. I very much feel the same. Firing the BR in Halo 5 doesn't feel anything like firing the BR in previous halo games and as a result it can feel pretty jarring when switching between them. But maybe that's just me. I'd also like to hear what the community thinks of the current BR while I'm writing this post
I also can’t stand how inaccurate it is now. It’s so frustrating especially in BTB.
I don't like it. I only use it if that's the only weapon I have. It is literally my last resort, and I only pick it up if I'm out of ammo on both of the other weapons I've spawned with.
343 is done with Halo 5, so it's never going to be fixed.

The Battle Rifle has always been in a weird place with Halo. In Halo 2, it was far and away the most (ludicrously) powerful weapon in the game that you could spawn with. In Halo 3, the random inaccuracy (which I believe is the issue, Halo MCC also presents the ever so lovely hit registration issue) of the weapon seriously drags it down past medium range. In Halo 4, it was (and still is) incredibly overpowered. Now, Halo 5 gives it vertical recoil.

343 needs to seriously look at how to balance the Battle Rifle for Infinite, and if it can't be balanced, then it needs to be removed.
Delta5931 wrote:

The Battle Rifle has always been in a weird place with Halo. In Halo 2, it was far and away the most (ludicrously) powerful weapon in the game that you could spawn with. In Halo 3, the random inaccuracy (which I believe is the issue, Halo MCC also presents the ever so lovely hit registration issue) of the weapon seriously drags it down past medium range. In Halo 4, it was (and still is) incredibly overpowered. Now, Halo 5 gives it vertical recoil.

343 needs to seriously look at how to balance the Battle Rifle for Infinite, and if it can't be balanced, then it needs to be removed.
Yea your right about the no updates

but what I think it should do is first return the br as it did when the game launched then just adjust the RRR range to give it a little less than the other weapons there is no making this weapon now overpowered

or another thing they they could do is make it the same as launch but make it a 5 shot weapon
No one is ever going to be happy with anything they do with it, if anything I think the dmr is the far worse weapon that thing is so useless now why even have it?
No one is ever going to be happy with anything they do with it, if anything I think the dmr is the far worse weapon that thing is so useless now why even have it?
Gooooood question.

The problem is, is that 343 has to balance weapons from 3 different factions that experience frequent overlaps. Take the Lightrifle, DMR, and Carbine. The Lightrifle is the slow firing, high damage version of the DMR whereas the Carbine is the fast firing, "low" damage version of the DMR. Where does that leave the DMR? Well... Not in a great spot, as you've noticed. It doesn't have the abilities of the LightRifle nor the Carbine to make it functionally different, so it ends up in an awkward spot of not having much viability. At this point, removing the DMR from Halo Infinite, if they plan on keeping the LightRifle or the Carbine, would be the way to go.

Welcome to the problem of having a game where there are 3 versions of practically every weapon (which means that one of those 3 is going to be getting the short end of the stick) and having mechanics ripped from Call of Duty in the sandbox that badly affects how certain weapons function.
I used to hate the DMR. Now, I like it a lot. I will pick up any of the 3, LR, DMR, or Carbine and do well with it. However, the BR is trash. Joined a custom game with friends and spawned with BR & AR. Who does that to friends? I grabbed the DMR and went to work.
Delta5931 wrote:

i think its important for halo to have a starting weapon that is a jack of all trades weapon to preserve the gameplay loop like the BR or Magnum in halo 5 current. The only thing I think you could do is maybe lower the range of the magnum and increase the effective range of the DMR but lower the TTK and have the BR somewhere in the middle... It would be hard to balance but effectively:

• at close range magnum beats BR as its a bit easier to control but technically they both have the same TTK, DMR is to hard to handle close range to win vs a magnum and the magnum has a faster TTK.
  • at medium range a BR has a slight TTK advantage over magnum due to damage drop off, is easier to use then a DMR and has a slightly faster TTK11
  • at long range the DMR out guns a magnum severely due to damage drop off and is easier to control then a BR but if shots are landed perfectly (unlikely at range) they have the same TTK due to drop off damage
The BR simply existing in a halo game creates balance issues. I get that it's the iconic weapon of halo 2 and 3....but it's either too good or too bad. The other weapons can fit pretty well into niche roles for the most part....but the BR ...man I like playing without that weapon. That's just me though.
I prefer the DMR, but it's ridiculous that a Magnum can defeat most of the weapons in the game... And the BR accuracy is impossible to use when you have lag. :/
I just wish it's poor performance was it least addressed and acknowledged. Picking the BR up now to use against other players using Magnums just creates more of a challenge for you, considering the Magnum now currently has a longer Red Reticle Range than the BR without scoping in.
Delta5931 wrote:
Gooooood question.

The problem is, is that 343 has to balance weapons from 3 different factions that experience frequent overlaps. Take the Lightrifle, DMR, and Carbine. The Lightrifle is the slow firing, high damage version of the DMR whereas the Carbine is the fast firing, "low" damage version of the DMR. Where does that leave the DMR? Well... Not in a great spot, as you've noticed. It doesn't have the abilities of the LightRifle nor the Carbine to make it functionally different, so it ends up in an awkward spot of not having much viability. At this point, removing the DMR from Halo Infinite, if they plan on keeping the LightRifle or the Carbine, would be the way to go.

Welcome to the problem of having a game where there are 3 versions of practically every weapon (which means that one of those 3 is going to be getting the short end of the stick) and having mechanics ripped from Call of Duty in the sandbox that badly affects how certain weapons function.
All of that is very true, I would add on the fact that if you have a magnum or BR those both tend to be better options then the DMR. I often opt to just keep my magnum rather then trade for the DMR which is much slower and the maps are never open enough to justify its range bonus. Some of that I guess comes down to how fast you can traverse with the spartan abilities. I'd like to see them remove sprint and clamor, it would be easier to balance the maps and might make the weapon balance more effective. Just a thought.
Uuv wrote:
I just wish it's poor performance was it least addressed and acknowledged. Picking the BR up now to use against other players using Magnums just creates more of a challenge for you, considering the Magnum now currently has a longer Red Reticle Range than the BR without scoping in.
the best we can hope is that they use the feedback for the BR going into H6
Its a shame that weapon is in shambles now. Probably one of the best parts about Halo.

Br battles used to be the best. Pistol battles now are meh at best

Hopefully infinite can be the return of the iconic Br we all know & love.
Sandbox updates are likely over, but they could replace or substitute the (default) Recon H5BR, when it's a map pick-up within the arena environment, for something like the Long-Barrel Recon H5BR or perhaps the legendary H2BR. That would improve the BR's usefulness/role within that particular sandbox environment.

Personally, I don't have all that much of a problem with the current design of the (default) Recon H5BR when viewed as a loadout weapon for BTB; in fact, I think it works quite well within that particular environment as a starting weapon. I do however wish that they (343i) could have struck a better balance between the current ADS recoil for the Recon, Classic, Hybrid, and Morph sight attachments in relation to the non-existent ADS recoil for the COG, Longshot, and Sentinel sight attachments so that it would have been the same amount across all sight attachments while, at the same time, managing to curb any potential visual discomfort too.
I honestly think there are too many precision weapons in the sandbox. I find the magnum to be proficient in almost all situations, so I rarely opt to use the DMR or BR (maybe just in Warzone, almost never in arena).

I think the problem with the magnum is that it is so reliable that it overshadows the other 2 precision weapons. Furthermore, it seems like the DMR is being more and more forgotten. For Infinite I want either the BR or the DMR removed (I don't want or need both), and the magnum needs to be nurfed mid-range. I find myself using the magnum too often.
The biggest mistake they made was doing these weapon updates two years after the game launched when it should've been done within the first six months.
Delta5931 wrote:

There weren't any BR issues in Halo 3...
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

There weren't any BR issues in Halo 3...
I seem to remember a lot of people complaining that the Battle Rifle in Halo 3 had a random accuracy attribute added to it that made it less effective over longer ranges, at least relative to the Halo 2 BR.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3