1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
343 is done with Halo 5, so it's never going to be fixed.

The Battle Rifle has always been in a weird place with Halo. In Halo 2, it was far and away the most (ludicrously) powerful weapon in the game that you could spawn with. In Halo 3, the random inaccuracy (which I believe is the issue, Halo MCC also presents the ever so lovely hit registration issue) of the weapon seriously drags it down past medium range. In Halo 4, it was (and still is) incredibly overpowered. Now, Halo 5 gives it vertical recoil.

343 needs to seriously look at how to balance the Battle Rifle for Infinite, and if it can't be balanced, then it needs to be removed.
There weren't any BR issues in Halo 3...
I seem to remember a lot of people complaining that the Battle Rifle in Halo 3 had a random accuracy attribute added to it that made it less effective over longer ranges, at least relative to the Halo 2 BR.
How long are we talking here?
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

The Battle Rifle has always been in a weird place with Halo. In Halo 2, it was far and away the most (ludicrously) powerful weapon in the game that you could spawn with. In Halo 3, the random inaccuracy (which I believe is the issue, Halo MCC also presents the ever so lovely hit registration issue) of the weapon seriously drags it down past medium range. In Halo 4, it was (and still is) incredibly overpowered. Now, Halo 5 gives it vertical recoil.

343 needs to seriously look at how to balance the Battle Rifle for Infinite, and if it can't be balanced, then it needs to be removed.
I seem to remember a lot of people complaining that the Battle Rifle in Halo 3 had a random accuracy attribute added to it that made it less effective over longer ranges, at least relative to the Halo 2 BR.
Honestly? I'm not sure. I just remember hearing from a lot of Halo 3 veterans that the Battle Rifle had some attribute applied to that made it so not all of the bullets went down the reticle or something. Maybe someone who's extensively played Halo 3 can let me know what the issue was with that version, because I remember there being a serious issue with it.
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

Honestly? I'm not sure. I just remember hearing from a lot of Halo 3 veterans that the Battle Rifle had some attribute applied to that made it so not all of the bullets went down the reticle or something. Maybe someone who's extensively played Halo 3 can let me know what the issue was with that version, because I remember there being a serious issue with it.
I played the hell out of Halo 3 and don't remember having any issues with it or anyone else saying that they had issues with the BR

Everything was crisp with that gun. It pretty much had to be. That was the primary gun of the game. It was pretty much like the Halo 5 pistol.
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

I played the hell out of Halo 3 and don't remember having any issues with it or anyone else saying that they had issues with the BR

Everything was crisp with that gun. It pretty much had to be. That was the primary gun of the game. It was pretty much like the Halo 5 pistol.
No he's right, the Halo 3 Battle Rifle is essentially designed to be inconsistent at longer ranges.

In a 3-round burst, the first shot is guaranteed to go directly down the middle on reticle. The other two shots can take place anywhere in the reticle, and it's random. You can see it in action from the target's perspective here.

The distance may be a bit exaggerated here, but the head is also a small target. Beyond mid range, it takes an inconsistent number of shots to kill even with perfect accuracy, because the bullets can just decide to go one way or the other.
The biggest complaints that I usually read when people talk about H3 is the terrible online hit detection which doesn't help when the BR has spread and is projectile.
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

No he's right, the Halo 3 Battle Rifle is essentially designed to be inconsistent at longer ranges.

In a 3-round burst, the first shot is guaranteed to go directly down the middle on reticle. The other two shots can take place anywhere in the reticle, and it's random. You can see it in action from the target's perspective here.

The distance may be a bit exaggerated here, but the head is also a small target. Beyond mid range, it takes an inconsistent number of shots to kill even with perfect accuracy, because the bullets can just decide to go one way or the other.
That's why I asked how far. Competitive maps usually aren't this far away

Also, if you whoever did this video, would have been shooting at the person within RRR, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened because bullet magnetism would have taken over.
Delta5931 wrote:

In Halo 4? You may want to check your memory. The BR was a cotton ball gun for the longest time until 343 actually listened to the community and buffed it so it didn't have an average ttk of almost 2 seconds after almost everyone had moved on. It was only "Overpowered" after that patch because it was nearly impossible to miss any part of the burst because the magnetism in 4 is disgusting. Yhe DMR pretty thoroughly destroyed everything for most of Halo 4's lifespan and was still more than viable after the BR buff due to it's insane red reticule range which allowed you to get aim magnetism way further than you should have.
if 343 updates the BR i hope they be careful and do not make it too futuristic
Halyconix wrote:
To Infinite!......and Beyond!!

I hope they completely re-think the BR and make sure it doesn't shoot like the current H5 BR. The BR got butchered to pieces in September 2017 so much so there was community-wide backlash against this abomination H5 BR. They tuned that abomination and deployed the changes in November 2017 and got positive feedback regarding the abomination, but of course it was positive, they made changes to a BR that was a butchered animal. The current BR is still a dog pile of steamy doodie. Just because you put a bandaid on a 1" wide gash, doesn't mean it was the proper fix. That scar isn't going away. The current BR needs reconstructive surgery at the very least.
Heaviies wrote:
Halyconix wrote:
To Infinite!......and Beyond!!

I hope they completely re-think the BR and make sure it doesn't shoot like the current H5 BR. The BR got butchered to pieces in September 2017 so much so there was community-wide backlash against this abomination H5 BR. They tuned that abomination and deployed the changes in November 2017 and got positive feedback regarding the abomination, but of course it was positive, they made changes to a BR that was a butchered animal. The current BR is still a dog pile of steamy doodie. Just because you put a bandaid on a 1" wide gash, doesn't mean it was the proper fix. That scar isn't going away. The current BR needs reconstructive surgery at the very least.
Amen iTs Heavies. Now I wouldn't throw the current BR into the steaming pile persay. But let's just say the Pre-OT BR was build with the Magnums ability in mind. It was a slight upgrade with some hot distance shots. But when they wanted to convert HCS from Magnum to BR starts they had to tune it down because of its effective range. It could literally cover all attributes of the smaller maps and seemed too powerful. However instead of creating a brand new BR for 4's testing they expanded its lack of ability to all playlists and making it completely useless in WZ and basically worthless in BTB. 3 tunes later it is closer to the Pre-OT BR than it has ever been but HCS still won't drop a pistol for it and the BR only had effectiveness on shallower BTB maps like Traffic Jam, Boulevard, and maybe Deadlock to a degree. My point is the BR should represent a slight upgrade to the H5 Pistol to make it fit well in the sandbox in ALL gametypes. Most 4 maps they either have one on each side or there is a single 50 yardline version which teams can battle for on a pickup. Some people I felt were misguided by attempting to nerf the Pistol which quite honestly is one of the finest precision weapons in Halo history. Also the Halo 5 Magnum is the identity of Halo 5. Which is why all HCS going forward should remain Pistol starts until Halo Infinite where I think there are high odds that the BR will be a starter weapon in 4's which is fine. It would be a new game and why not throw some nostalgia on one of the most prized eSports weapons of all time the Halo2 was the best with the H3 BR slightly behind it.
Benti86 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

In Halo 4? You may want to check your memory. The BR was a cotton ball gun for the longest time until 343 actually listened to the community and buffed it so it didn't have an average ttk of almost 2 seconds after almost everyone had moved on. It was only "Overpowered" after that patch because it was nearly impossible to miss any part of the burst because the magnetism in 4 is disgusting. Yhe DMR pretty thoroughly destroyed everything for most of Halo 4's lifespan and was still more than viable after the BR buff due to it's insane red reticule range which allowed you to get aim magnetism way further than you should have.
Yeah I was there from the start. The drama of the nerf dart shooting opening BR was fixed because everyone with a brain was ditching it for the DMR. Then the BR fix came around month 2 or 3 and it held powerful ever since.
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

You're remembering people reacting to the fact that the Halo 3 BR was a "projectile" weapon and no longer the "hitscan" weapon it was in Halo 2. Each individual bullet counted seperately (rather than each three bullet burst counting as one shot) and those shots would miss a strafing target if the shooter didn't lead them. Yes, it added "skill" to the weapon, if you want to call it that, but it certainly made it feel unreliable to the average player. The DMR from Reach was created to eliminate both issues, although the second issue was re-created in a way with the introduction of reticle bloom. Halo giveth and Halo taketh away.
Don't think they will do anything with it now because of next halo, but they have at least added the halo2 legendary BR with the required reqs, but hey that's halo, got to take out the enemy to open more goodies.
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

You're remembering people reacting to the fact that the Halo 3 BR was a "projectile" weapon and no longer the "hitscan" weapon it was in Halo 2. Each individual bullet counted seperately (rather than each three bullet burst counting as one shot) and those shots would miss a strafing target if the shooter didn't lead them. Yes, it added "skill" to the weapon, if you want to call it that, but it certainly made it feel unreliable to the average player. The DMR from Reach was created to eliminate both issues, although the second issue was re-created in a way with the introduction of reticle bloom. Halo giveth and Halo taketh away.
Mostly correct, but lacking some additional info. People were quite upset with the fact that Bungie increased the random bullet spread of the BR in Halo 3 from Halo 2 (referencing the weapon's cone-of-fire) and also built-in horizontal recoil to go with it too. This was on top of being converted to a projectile-based weapon and receiving less reticle and bullet magnetism than what Halo 2 had. All combined, this certainly lead to the BR in Halo 3 having noticeably less consistency. It's also why MLG increased damage to 110% within its competitive settings. The Halo 2 BR had a fairly tight circular cone-of-fire (w/ no recoil effect) and when paired with hit-scan detection plus greater (in reference to H3) reticle and bullet magnetism it acted similar to what you described as a "three bullet burst [almost] counting as one shot". I added the term "almost" there because shots within a burst could still miss due to opponents strafing/dodging or because a reticle swipe throughout a burst could pull a bullet(s) off target, but it was more difficult to miss than in Halo 3 (for all the reasons already discussed). So, while the projectile aspect and less magnetism in Halo 3 increased the required "skill" to be proficient with the BR the fact is that the greatly increased randomness offset and detracted from that greater skill which is why many people don't like the Halo 3 BR.

Side note: The Halo 2 BR (not the one in the Anniversary version or in Halo 5) was designed with a maximum range before the bullets simply disappeared. I don't, however, know if that's the case for both the Xbox console and Vista (PC) versions of the classic game; I do know that it holds true for the console version. Anyways, not too many people seem to know that little tidbit of information.
Motion Man wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

i think its important for halo to have a starting weapon that is a jack of all trades weapon to preserve the gameplay loop like the BR or Magnum in halo 5 current. The only thing I think you could do is maybe lower the range of the magnum and increase the effective range of the DMR but lower the TTK and have the BR somewhere in the middle... It would be hard to balance but effectively:

• at close range magnum beats BR as its a bit easier to control but technically they both have the same TTK, DMR is to hard to handle close range to win vs a magnum and the magnum has a faster TTK.
  • at medium range a BR has a slight TTK advantage over magnum due to damage drop off, is easier to use then a DMR and has a slightly faster TTK11
  • at long range the DMR out guns a magnum severely due to damage drop off and is easier to control then a BR but if shots are landed perfectly (unlikely at range) they have the same TTK due to drop off damage
The magnum actually doesn't have any damage drop-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jFBvhV7BHU
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

The projectile wasn't the problem. The random spread inside of the BR's large reticule was what made it unreliable. Anything past 30-40 meters was a lottery on whether or you hit or not which was why you aimed for the body first and then the head since you had a much higher chance of hitting that.
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

Uh, what? Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

I love Halo 3. Obviously. But to say there weren't any issues with the BR in 3 is ridiculous. You'd have to either be joking or just plain remembering things incorrectly.
The BR is in a perfect state right now. It was overused in btb because it was too accurate at all ranges. Now, you actually have to use your brain before deciding whether to engage that one guy running 300 meters away. That's the design space for the DMR and sniper rifle. The BR is a mid range weapon with decent close range capability, and the potential to be effective at long range in the hands of w skilled player.

Before its most recent update, the BR was deadly in the hands of the most unskilled players, at very long range. It was greatly overused and gave no room for other weapons to be relevant. The BR is very well balanced now.
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

I love Halo 3. Obviously. But to say there weren't any issues with the BR in 3 is ridiculous. You'd have to either be joking or just plain remembering things incorrectly.
Probably. Or I probably never noticed them or experienced them. So you are telling me that there were multiple?
D M4N8 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:

Probably. Or I probably never noticed them or experienced them. So you are telling me that there were multiple?
Yes; both directly and indirectly. The biggest issue with the BR itself was the spread it had. It was not connected to rate of fire or anything, it's that the first round out of the weapon would be spot on target, and the other two were subject to random spread. This is not ideal for obvious reasons. You want to minimize randomness as much as possible in a game like Halo.

Indirect issues with the BR were things like the fact it was not hitscan. Now, the BR in H2 was/is and that was part of the reason why the other weapons, such as the SMG, were such jokes. But Halo 3 didn't have that problem. The AR was viable at close range, and other weapons were usable as well. Lack of hitscan led to confusing and unnecessarily long kill times. Your accuracy could be perfect but you would be punished for not leading your shots. A common argument in favor of this was to promote realism, but anyone who has fired a weapon in real life before knows that you don't need to lead your shots that drastically at such relatively close ranges. Halo maps are fairly small, at least non-BTB ones.

Lastly, the networking in Halo 3 left a lot to be desired. In its prime it was less of an issue because more people were playing, but each game was peer to peer, meaning there were no dedicated servers. Combine this with the random spread and lack of hitscan and you have yourself a game with gun fights that are largely dependent on host and a fair amount of luck.

This is not to say that I dislike Halo 3. I love it. But it had its issues and in terms of competitive viability I'd rank it pretty low on the list of Halo games. Above 4/Reach, but below 2/5. I had eight 50s on this account to include MLG, so I was no stranger to competitive Halo 3, I just truly believe 2 and 5 are better games competitively speaking.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3