1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
D M4N8 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
343 is done with Halo 5, so it's never going to be fixed.

The Battle Rifle has always been in a weird place with Halo. In Halo 2, it was far and away the most (ludicrously) powerful weapon in the game that you could spawn with. In Halo 3, the random inaccuracy (which I believe is the issue, Halo MCC also presents the ever so lovely hit registration issue) of the weapon seriously drags it down past medium range. In Halo 4, it was (and still is) incredibly overpowered. Now, Halo 5 gives it vertical recoil.

343 needs to seriously look at how to balance the Battle Rifle for Infinite, and if it can't be balanced, then it needs to be removed.
There weren't any BR issues in Halo 3...
Uh, what? Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

I love Halo 3. Obviously. But to say there weren't any issues with the BR in 3 is ridiculous. You'd have to either be joking or just plain remembering things incorrectly.
Probably. Or I probably never noticed them or experienced them. So you are telling me that there were multiple?
Yes; both directly and indirectly. The biggest issue with the BR itself was the spread it had. It was not connected to rate of fire or anything, it's that the first round out of the weapon would be spot on target, and the other two were subject to random spread. This is not ideal for obvious reasons. You want to minimize randomness as much as possible in a game like Halo.

Indirect issues with the BR were things like the fact it was not hitscan. Now, the BR in H2 was/is and that was part of the reason why the other weapons, such as the SMG, were such jokes. But Halo 3 didn't have that problem. The AR was viable at close range, and other weapons were usable as well. Lack of hitscan led to confusing and unnecessarily long kill times. Your accuracy could be perfect but you would be punished for not leading your shots. A common argument in favor of this was to promote realism, but anyone who has fired a weapon in real life before knows that you don't need to lead your shots that drastically at such relatively close ranges. Halo maps are fairly small, at least non-BTB ones.

Lastly, the networking in Halo 3 left a lot to be desired. In its prime it was less of an issue because more people were playing, but each game was peer to peer, meaning there were no dedicated servers. Combine this with the random spread and lack of hitscan and you have yourself a game with gun fights that are largely dependent on host and a fair amount of luck.

This is not to say that I dislike Halo 3. I love it. But it had its issues and in terms of competitive viability I'd rank it pretty low on the list of Halo games. Above 4/Reach, but below 2/5. I had eight 50s on this account to include MLG, so I was no stranger to competitive Halo 3, I just truly believe 2 and 5 are better games competitively speaking.
So if it wasn't a weapon with hitscan, then what was it?
D M4N8 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
D M4N8 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
343 is done with Halo 5, so it's never going to be fixed.

The Battle Rifle has always been in a weird place with Halo. In Halo 2, it was far and away the most (ludicrously) powerful weapon in the game that you could spawn with. In Halo 3, the random inaccuracy (which I believe is the issue, Halo MCC also presents the ever so lovely hit registration issue) of the weapon seriously drags it down past medium range. In Halo 4, it was (and still is) incredibly overpowered. Now, Halo 5 gives it vertical recoil.

343 needs to seriously look at how to balance the Battle Rifle for Infinite, and if it can't be balanced, then it needs to be removed.
There weren't any BR issues in Halo 3...
Uh, what? Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

I love Halo 3. Obviously. But to say there weren't any issues with the BR in 3 is ridiculous. You'd have to either be joking or just plain remembering things incorrectly.
Probably. Or I probably never noticed them or experienced them. So you are telling me that there were multiple?
Yes; both directly and indirectly. The biggest issue with the BR itself was the spread it had. It was not connected to rate of fire or anything, it's that the first round out of the weapon would be spot on target, and the other two were subject to random spread. This is not ideal for obvious reasons. You want to minimize randomness as much as possible in a game like Halo.

Indirect issues with the BR were things like the fact it was not hitscan. Now, the BR in H2 was/is and that was part of the reason why the other weapons, such as the SMG, were such jokes. But Halo 3 didn't have that problem. The AR was viable at close range, and other weapons were usable as well. Lack of hitscan led to confusing and unnecessarily long kill times. Your accuracy could be perfect but you would be punished for not leading your shots. A common argument in favor of this was to promote realism, but anyone who has fired a weapon in real life before knows that you don't need to lead your shots that drastically at such relatively close ranges. Halo maps are fairly small, at least non-BTB ones.

Lastly, the networking in Halo 3 left a lot to be desired. In its prime it was less of an issue because more people were playing, but each game was peer to peer, meaning there were no dedicated servers. Combine this with the random spread and lack of hitscan and you have yourself a game with gun fights that are largely dependent on host and a fair amount of luck.

This is not to say that I dislike Halo 3. I love it. But it had its issues and in terms of competitive viability I'd rank it pretty low on the list of Halo games. Above 4/Reach, but below 2/5. I had eight 50s on this account to include MLG, so I was no stranger to competitive Halo 3, I just truly believe 2 and 5 are better games competitively speaking.
So if it wasn't a weapon with hitscan, then what was it?
Halo 3 used a projectile weapon system.

Halo 2, Reach, 4, and 5 are hitscan. CE and 3 are not.
Delta5931 wrote:
No one is ever going to be happy with anything they do with it, if anything I think the dmr is the far worse weapon that thing is so useless now why even have it?
Gooooood question.

The problem is, is that 343 has to balance weapons from 3 different factions that experience frequent overlaps. Take the Lightrifle, DMR, and Carbine. The Lightrifle is the slow firing, high damage version of the DMR whereas the Carbine is the fast firing, "low" damage version of the DMR. Where does that leave the DMR? Well... Not in a great spot, as you've noticed. It doesn't have the abilities of the LightRifle nor the Carbine to make it functionally different, so it ends up in an awkward spot of not having much viability. At this point, removing the DMR from Halo Infinite, if they plan on keeping the LightRifle or the Carbine, would be the way to go.

Welcome to the problem of having a game where there are 3 versions of practically every weapon (which means that one of those 3 is going to be getting the short end of the stick) and having mechanics ripped from Call of Duty in the sandbox that badly affects how certain weapons function.
The light rifle and carbine can never be compared to the dmr lol, the dmr has MUCH more range then both and is meant for long range, the light rfl and carbine come closer to the br(in terms od effective range, but then....if they dont want the battle rifle to have to much range why make scopes on it that can zoom in twice so you have a mini sniper.....
Delta5931 wrote:
No one is ever going to be happy with anything they do with it, if anything I think the dmr is the far worse weapon that thing is so useless now why even have it?
Gooooood question.

The problem is, is that 343 has to balance weapons from 3 different factions that experience frequent overlaps. Take the Lightrifle, DMR, and Carbine. The Lightrifle is the slow firing, high damage version of the DMR whereas the Carbine is the fast firing, "low" damage version of the DMR. Where does that leave the DMR? Well... Not in a great spot, as you've noticed. It doesn't have the abilities of the LightRifle nor the Carbine to make it functionally different, so it ends up in an awkward spot of not having much viability. At this point, removing the DMR from Halo Infinite, if they plan on keeping the LightRifle or the Carbine, would be the way to go.

Welcome to the problem of having a game where there are 3 versions of practically every weapon (which means that one of those 3 is going to be getting the short end of the stick) and having mechanics ripped from Call of Duty in the sandbox that badly affects how certain weapons function.
The light rifle and carbine can never be compared to the dmr lol, the dmr has MUCH more range then both and is meant for long range, the light rfl and carbine come closer to the br(in terms od effective range, but then....if they dont want the battle rifle to have to much range why make scopes on it that can zoom in twice so you have a mini sniper.....
I think I'd rather take extreme damage or an incredible ROF over... Range. If that's the best the DMR can do, have more red reticle range in a game where red reticle range hardly matters, then it's going to have to do a lot better than that to justify it's existence.
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Gooooood question.

I think I'd rather take extreme damage or an incredible ROF over... Range. If that's the best the DMR can do, have more red reticle range in a game where red reticle range hardly matters, then it's going to have to do a lot better than that to justify it's existence.
The DMR, with it's range, is quite useful in Warzone modes and it has a role in several of the BTB maps too. Heck, even in a few 4v4 arena maps with long sight lines the DMR can be a fairly useful weapon; plus, it's 2-shot melee lethality is quite handy there too.
Its a shame the Br is in the state its in. The most fun weapon to use in previous halos is now essentially an after thought.
Its a shame the Br is in the state its in. The most fun weapon to use in previous halos is now essentially an after thought.
That's likely because they have given up working on tuning the H5 BR because they are focusing all their efforts on Halo Infinite. Which I can understand why. There is a ton of work that would need to be put into fixing this abomination
Heaviies wrote:
That's likely because they have given up working on tuning the H5 BR because they are focusing all their efforts on Halo Infinite. Which I can understand why. There is a ton of work that would need to be put into fixing this abomination
You are probably right. I have no problem if all efforts are on Infinite, I just hope they can get the BR right & make it feel like the H2/3 BR. Thats one thing I have probably missed the most with H5. I know a lot say just "get gud" with the H5 BR but for me it just doesn't seem right & im just god awful with it lol.
My only gripe with btb is they had to make it br starts with this pos.
I loved it before the nerf but now its one of the worst guns you can have. The bullet spread is ridiculous and getting a perfect kill with it is so damn inconsistent (ive been awarded them after shooting the same guy 5-6 times) and other times they'll eat those 5-6 shots and not even drop shields.

Hopefully the address the problem with its spread and inconsistency.
It was perfect to begin with!
I can definitely agree with all of this. Because I play a lot of MCC, and switching back to the Halo 5 BR is just so weird and uncomfortable. I've just decided to stick with the Magnum, as it is the most consistent and reliable, and also somehow outclasses the BR if you get good at it. If they are going to just transfer the stats from Halo 5 to Halo Infinite, they really need to reconsider. Give the BR a buff to reduce its recoil and give the Magnum a nerf in RRR, but not so much to make it worthless.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3