Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Is 343i Stealing from Fans?

OP FaithKnight 786

The Anvil's Legacy update brought a lot of things, but one of them looked too suspicious.

In June/2016, the CMT released the SPv3 mod for Halo CE with everything custom made, right down to the music. One of those things was the wieldable Hunter Cannon which had 3 variants.

A few months later, 343i released the Anvil's Legacy update which also contained wieldable Hunter cannons that looked suspiciously similar. What's worse is that CMT received ZEOR credit for inspiring 343i to include the hunter cannons.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/photo/116244037400129098373/6383627234270961922?icm=false&authkey=CPeNrJP5rcu7mQE
What are your thoughts?
The Anvil's Legacy update brought a lot of things, but one of them looked too suspicious.

In June/2016, the CMT released the SPv3 mod for Halo CE with everything custom made, right down to the music. One of those things was the wieldable Hunter Cannon which had 3 variants.

A few months layer, 343i released the Anvil's Legacy update which contained which also contained wieldable Hunter cannons that looked suspiciously similar. What's worse is that CMT received ZEOR credit for inspiring 343i to include the hunter cannons.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/photo/116244037400129098373/6383627234270961922?icm=false&authkey=CPeNrJP5rcu7mQE
What are your thoughts?
I haven't played cmt yet, but I believe the Hunter canons were inspired by the rapid fire hunter canon (eew) and the normal fuel rod from 5.

Edit: also when I say they are inspired by them, I mean the ones we have in forge were inspired by the ones in the campaign.
I thought usable Hunter cannons were a concept from way back in the early Bungie days that just never saw the light of day?
Well the idea of picking up the Hunter's claw, is a bot older than CMT's version. I believe they first pitched the idea during Halo 3 developement, same for Reach but eventually it got scrapped.

It's been something asked for, since the first trilogy, though not a common request but it's been there.
343 can't steal anything halo related cuz they own it, next is what's to say 343 never had the idea first? Just cuz they didn't have them implemented doesn't mean they never gave it a thought from previous games.

if 343s stealing anything, it's the soul of halo and putting it in the toilet, not some trivial weapon and some overrated SPv3 game that is trash.
343 can't steal anything halo related cuz they own it, next is what's to say 343 never had the idea first? Just cuz they didn't have them implemented doesn't mean they never gave it a thought from previous games.

if 343s stealing anything, it's the soul of halo and putting it in the toilet, not some trivial weapon and some overrated SPv3 game that is trash.
Hit the nail on the head there. Agree 110%
sniper945 wrote:

A few months layer, 343i released the Anvil's Legacy update which contained which also contained wieldable Hunter cannons that looked suspiciously similar. What's worse is that CMT received ZEOR credit for inspiring 343i to include the hunter cannons.

What are your thoughts?
I haven't played cmt yet, but I believe the Hunter canons were inspired by the rapid fire hunter canon (eew) and the normal fuel rod from 5.
CMT's SPv3 mod has half of the campaign released. The 2nd half is coming out this summer. There are new areas, mechanics, weapons, enemies, equipment, vehicles, Hijacking, and even a 2nd version of The Silent Cartographer called "The Silent Cartographer: Evolved" along with the standard version.
The 2nd half of the campaign is going to have a bonus mission called "None Left Behind".

Lol, "if 343s stealing anything, it's the soul of halo ...", classic. Although I disagree, that was a good one spartan.
coincidence? I think not
I thought usable Hunter cannons were a concept from way back in the early Bungie days that just never saw the light of day?
thats what i thought too
Seriously, look at Halo 2's development and all the stuff that was cut.

The AR, Mongoose, Kestrel VTOL, pre-set loadouts, the Hornet, several different Warthog variants, and I think even the Spartan Laser were all set to appear in the game. None of them appeared in a Halo game until Halo 3, or even until Reach.

Something like the Hunter arm is probably brought up over and over again in development.
I'm pretty sure the guys above me saying the Assault Cannon (cause that's the actual name of the weapon, guys) was at least considered in development for a few games before now. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 343 officially acknowledge and give praise to SPV3? Or at least that's what I heard.
Can't we just be grateful that 343 implemented it, yes SPV3 did it first, but I don't have access to that.
I mean, the design for the hunter cannon has kinda been set in stone. Sure it's evolved over the years, but the looks really haven't.

A few months later, 343i released the Anvil's Legacy update which also contained wieldable Hunter cannons that looked suspiciously similar. What's worse is that CMT received ZEOR credit for inspiring 343i to include the hunter cannons.

What are your thoughts?
Me personally I don't think so. The hunter cannons were inspired both from the halo 5 hunter cannons which came out in 2015 and was in development years prior. So I think 343 had the concept before SPv3
Seriously, look at Halo 2's development and all the stuff that was cut.

The AR, Mongoose, Kestrel VTOL, pre-set loadouts, the Hornet, several different Warthog variants, and I think even the Spartan Laser were all set to appear in the game. None of them appeared in a Halo game until Halo 3, or even until Reach.

Something like the Hunter arm is probably brought up over and over again in development.
Hunter Cannon was going to be in Halo 4 but it was cut.
Yes, I indeed do have a question:

Why does 343 doing something like this automatically imply stealing? I brought it up on Waypoint months before it was added to SPV3, does that mean they stole my idea?