Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Is Anyone Buying Xbox One X Just For Halo 5 In 4K?

OP MagnusArcadius

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
I am primarily a PC gamer on Steam/non Steam games, main games I play on PC are Planetside 2, Total War mods, Star Trek Online and Star Wars Battlefront.
I only got Xbox One because I really like Halo and Gears of War games along with Forza 6. It was worth it in the end since I have 1000+ hours played on Xbox One and Halo 5, Halo MCC and Forza 6 the games I played on it will never be on PC.

Now all Xbox One exclusives will be on windows rendering my need for a console useless when I can have superior PC 4k. Still, Halo 6 won't be out until Late 2018 or Late 2019, that is more than another year with Halo 5 and I really like Halo 5, my favorite Halo game of all time, no other Halo game has had more content, Warzone game mode feels like a new massive game add on to it. I don't know how I will cope playing Halo 6 on Windows, I was horrible at the game playing with mouse and keyboard on Halo 5: Forge. Goes to show how dumbed down you become sticking to FPS game franchise playing with a controller, it requires more skill , aiming precision and faster reflexes playing mouse/keyboard for a FPS, I don't know if I could ever get used to Halo with mouse and keyboard since I have been playing it since Halo 1 on Xbox and every game since with a controller.

The graphics and Dynamic resolution with it I didn't like so I am really gonna drop 500$ USD just to buy Xbox One X for Halo 5. Is anyone doing the same? Graphics are important to me and I would love to see a native 4k Halo 5 at 60fps or at least close to 4k with no Dynamic Resolution trash.
Wow, we are very similar. I'm primarily a Steam gamer myself, and I have a very powerful PC. I also play Forza 6 (brand new to the series as of a month or two ago, love it) & Halo (played every one, favorite series of all time) on Xbox. My friends and I refer to it as the Halo box.

On steam, I do mostly indies (spelunky, Terraria, Binding of Isaac Afterbirth, Stardew Valley, etc) and one player AAA here and there (only last few years were Borderlands 2 and Skyrim).

I have decided to 'core up' to the Xbox moving into the future. The backwards compatibility meant everything to me (tons of arcade games I love from 360), and most every indie game I play on Steam is also on Xbox (and I already own them, too, for the most part).

If you enjoy the MM in Halo / Forza / Gears, I would say definitely get Xbox One X. However, if it's more for campaign, I would hold off and just play everything on your powerful PC (along with your other Steam games).
Issues with aiming on a mouse in Halo 5 Forge probably aren't completely just due to your skill. The aiming in that game just feels strange. There are also issues with using a keyboard because the Spartan Ability system really doesn't work well with a keyboard where the number of buttons you can comfortably reach while moving is limited. The best PC shooters aren't known for their elaborate movement systems.

As for buying an Xbox One X just for Halo 5 in 4K? That would be a tough sell for me even if I liked Halo 5 much more than I do. I value graphical fidelity, but not that much.
No, and most people I know wouldnt drop half a grand to play a single game.
I'd never buy a console for just one game. That said, as the One X is just an upgraded One and plays all the same games, I'll be looking into getting one eventually for the increased performance across my game library.
I'm not buying it just for Halo 5, but I'm excited for the 4k update none the less. I built a PC last year for the first time, but have found since then that I don't like PC gaming. Growing up using consoles almost exclusively just makes using a PC feel weird. That plus I don't have a friend group on PC as much. Xbox One X is a natural upgrade for me as someone who likes to have pretty graphics, but just isn't into PC gaming.
Maybe for halo 6 and 7, or what ever comes next in the halo series of games. But not for my current games, heck my TV is kinda crappy. If i buy a better Xbox that means i need to get a TV to show off the new resolution.
If I didn't already have a One S I would definitely buy the One X. Already had a 4k tv and 4k home theater receiver so I chose the One S because 4k blu-ray players were just coming out and had the option of buying the Samsung (only 4k player on the market) at the time or the One S, both had a $400.00 price tag on them. Unfortunately the One S plays movies in native 4k but only upscales games to 4k from what I've read online.
BadDogg55 wrote:
If I didn't already have a One S I would definitely buy the One X. Already had a 4k tv and 4k home theater receiver so I chose the One S because 4k blu-ray players were just coming out and had the option of buying the Samsung (only 4k player on the market) at the time or the One S, both had a $400.00 price tag on them. Unfortunately the One S plays movies in native 4k but only upscales games to 4k from what I've read online.
Indeed, unlike movies where every action is recorded beforehand, games are constantly moving and changing in their assets which requir processing power. The XBO and XBOs are barely capable of rendering current gen quality games at 1080p, 4k rendering would make the games run at about 1fps or crash the game in it's entirety. The Xbox One X however is around 4.5x stronger than the One S (6tflops vs 1.4tflops) giving it the processing power of running most games, at minimal, 4k dynamic.
Regice554 wrote:
Maybe for halo 6 and 7, or what ever comes next in the halo series of games. But not for my current games, heck my TV is kinda crappy. If i buy a better Xbox that means i need to get a TV to show off the new resolution.
That's not necessarily true. the game supersamples 4k rendering (meaning a 4k game will be downscaled to 1080p which looks better that plain 1080p rendering even with AA solutions) not to mention increased fidelity and performance.

But as mentioned before, it would be a waste for a single game, for your entire library or if youre just getting into xbox it's the best way to go however.
Oddly yes or at least that's 1 of the reasons. The main reason I bought the Xbox 360 originally was to 'finish the fight' because Halo 1,2 was great and well feel like the old X1 will limit what H6 can do plus having H5 with better graphics might be nice plus tired of the sluggish dashboard so hopefully things seem less on the Scorpio.
I'm saving up for the Halo 6 Xbox One X Edition personally
Chimera30 wrote:
I'd never buy a console for just one game. That said, as the One X is just an upgraded One and plays all the same games, I'll be looking into getting one eventually for the increased performance across my game library.
Are you sure you've never done that? I hear what your saying in this situation but that's how it works normally. ...only takes someone getting hooked on one game to do it. People buy Nintendo for Mario or Zelda all the time. Back in the day, Sega for Sonic or Shinning Force... PlayStation for Uncharted and Microsoft for Halo. Very rarely does someone say I need to get x because I want those 3 games. It's always one....but if your really don't, then ok. Just some food for thought ;)

I am primarily a PC gamer on Steam/non Steam games, main games I play on PC are Planetside 2, Total War mods, Star Trek Online and Star Wars Battlefront.
I only got Xbox One because I really like Halo and Gears of War games along with Forza 6. It was worth it in the end since I have 1000+ hours played on Xbox One and Halo 5, Halo MCC and Forza 6 the games I played on it will never be on PC.

Now all Xbox One exclusives will be on windows rendering my need for a console useless when I can have superior PC 4k. Still, Halo 6 won't be out until Late 2018 or Late 2019, that is more than another year with Halo 5 and I really like Halo 5, my favorite Halo game of all time, no other Halo game has had more content, Warzone game mode feels like a new massive game add on to it. I don't know how I will cope playing Halo 6 on Windows, I was horrible at the game playing with mouse and keyboard on Halo 5: Forge. Goes to show how dumbed down you become sticking to FPS game franchise playing with a controller, it requires more skill , aiming precision and faster reflexes playing mouse/keyboard for a FPS, I don't know if I could ever get used to Halo with mouse and keyboard since I have been playing it since Halo 1 on Xbox and every game since with a controller.

The graphics and Dynamic resolution with it I didn't like so I am really gonna drop 500$ USD just to buy Xbox One X for Halo 5. Is anyone doing the same? Graphics is important to me and I would love to see a native 4k Halo 5 at 60fps or at least close to 4k with no Dynamic Resolution trash.
Honestly, if 4k 24" monitors we're more wide spread, I would of gotten one just recently when my old monitor died. I went for LCD 720p to LED 1080p... Got that monitor in 2007 for glorious Halo 3 :) at the time it was one of the only monitors with an HDMI port lolol

I would be getting Xbox one x for sure if I got a 4k monitor...but since I couldn't find anything (found a few 24", but didn't like them) I just got a 1080p one. So as of now, unless I see Xbox one X for a lot cheaper, I can't see myself getting one at all, even for my beloved Halo series. If I did have a 4k monitor, ya I could see myself doing it but it wouldn't really be just for Halo 5 as I do play other games as well.
Chimera30 wrote:
Are you sure you've never done that? I hear what your saying in this situation but that's how it works normally. ...only takes someone getting hooked on one game to do it. People buy Nintendo for Mario or Zelda all the time. Back in the day, Sega for Sonic or Shinning Force... PlayStation for Uncharted and Microsoft for Halo. Very rarely does someone say I need to get x because I want those 3 games. It's always one....but if your really don't, then ok. Just some food for thought ;)
I did not buy the Switch until I knew that there would be more games for it that I'd want than just Breath of the Wild. My first console was a 360; at the time I got it, I could only afford to get Halo 3 with it, but the console had been out so long that I knew I would get more than one game for it eventually (and I did). Years ago some friends were forming their own Pokemon League, and asked if I wanted in. I investigated the Nintendo DS but didn't only look at the Pokemon games; I made sure there were other titles I'd want for it. Same for the 3DS; it sounded interesting at first, but it wasn't until I learned there would be a remastered Ocarina, a remastered Star Fox, and a new Resident Evil that I went out and purchased it.

I believe buying a console with the desire to only play one game is a waste of money, because after you finish that game you'd have nothing else. But I also rarely buy consoles when they are new, so I've never really run into a situation where a console I was interested didn't already have a vast library of interesting games.
I'm saving up for the Halo 6 Xbox One X Edition personally
That is exactly what I'm waiting for as well. Historically, I think Halo has had the most custom-designed consoles (X360 military green, X360 Halo 4 console, XB1 Halo 5 console, may be forgetting more), so Halo 6 has a good chance of repeating that promotion for folks to adopt the XB1x console.

And OP, you'll be able to practice your kb/m proficiency on XB1 soon as full gameplay kb/m support is coming to XB1. That may be a good way to delay your decision, spend more time with the two input types, then later decide which platform fits your needs better.

Since I swap between monitors and TVs of varying sizes, I'll personally be getting XB1x due to its unique ability (compared to the S) to graphically enhance games on FHD (1080p) TVs. This way, visuals will be improved whether natively running 4k on the 4k TV or on an old 1080p TV. Additionally, it's always nice to have at least one console so that you have a guarantee that all developers making their software for that platform must make their software run according to a base uniform standard of compatibility on your platform.
My current TV is outdated by modern shopping standards, so the wife and I were looking into 4K TV's. This will be the lynchpin for me being able to get the XB1S. As far as getting it for one game, yes, I will probably be playing either SWBF2 or CODWW2 with some H5 sprinkled in there until H6 comes out
As much as a massive Halo fan you guys know I am you think I would be, especially since my Xbox one broke, but the answer is no. Now as amazing as it might look H5 just isn't good enough for me to shell out that kind of money. I am more excited for the LA Noire in 4k. But I want to see gaming in 4k with my own eyes in person before making a decision. Also I am building a Baja Bradley GT2 so a lot of my money is taken.

Edit:. Now if they say they are making H2A or maybe even H3, in 4k as a stand alone game with way more multiplayer maps and playlist then it's .... Shut up and take my money... But we all know that won't happen.
I agree with Dead End 24. I've never bought an xbox for anything but Halo. And even though I don't need an X to play Halo 5 (or Halo 6 for that matter) I'd just as soon have my game look as good as possible and play as smooth as possible. What's a measly five hundred bucks in the scheme of things?
No. I'm not gonna spend all that money for the console and a 4K tv just to get some better graphics on a two year old game.
I already preordered mine. Halo 5 is the only game I play on Xbox, PC for every other game.
It's sweet allright, but no, I'll wait for H6, unless they offer one with an SSD.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13