Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Is Halo 5 getting the FPS boost?

OP Hovadeini

Just inquiring. Halo 5 has been the game
for me since release and was hoping for an update of some sort.
The FPS boost is only on a select few games as if right now. I believe the update needs to be done on a game by game basis.

Considering Xbox have a big emphasis on backwards compatibility I imagine they’ll prioritise those games first.
I’d like to see Halo 5 get an update to support 120FPS though with Halo Infinite right around the corner I’m not too sure it will.

Only time will tell.
I would love to see Halo 5 be boosted for the Series X/S. It always has looked good and I wish they could boost the FPS and maybe do 120. I don’t think they have plans for 5 right now, since they’re just focusing on getting infinite ready for E3 and then launch.
No, last year 343 explicitly stated H5 wouldn't get XS upgrades with the new consoles' launch and didn't have any plans to do so in the future either. It's a shame, but considering how handicapped they are with MCC and Infinite development it's also understandable. Here's hoping they make an upgrade once they get over current hurdles.
No, last year 343 explicitly stated H5 wouldn't get XS upgrades with the new consoles' launch and didn't have any plans to do so in the future either. It's a shame, but considering how handicapped they are with MCC and Infinite development it's also understandable. Here's hoping they make an upgrade once they get over current hurdles.
FPS Boost is something done by the Xbox team, not 343i.
tuhin94 wrote:
This is where things get messy.

Red Dead Redemption (2010), originally an Xbox 360 game designed to run at 720P@30FPS, became playable on the Xbox One thanks to Xbox team's work on the console's backward compatibility, and later got enhanced for the Xbox One X which allowed it to run at 4K@30FPS (same on XSX, 1440P@30FPS on XSS), without Rockstar's input. And Microsoft just announced they're bringing FPS boosts to some XB1 titles running on XS like Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs 2, Sniper Elite 4, also without the developers' help. This proves Microsoft can indeed enhance old games on their own.

However both H5 and MCC's X1X enhancements were made by 343i themself, as well as MCC's recent 120FPS XS enhancements. In the waypoint updated I mentioned, 343i openly said "While Halo 5 is not getting the same optimizations for Xbox Series X and Series S as MCC, owners of the next-gen hardware are still going to see the benefits of faster load times and consistently higher resolution gameplay", implying the Xbox team won't get involved in upgrades in this case.

So games can be enhanced by their original developers or the Xbox team. Sadly at the moment there are just no plans from either side to upgrade H5.
tuhin94 wrote:

Red Dead Redemption (2010), originally an Xbox 360 game designed to run at 720P@30FPS, became playable on the Xbox One thanks to Xbox team's work on the console's backward compatibility, and later got enhanced for the Xbox One X which allowed it to run at 4K@30FPS (same on XSX, 1440P@30FPS on XSS), without Rockstar's input. And Microsoft just announced they're bringing FPS boosts to some XB1 titles running on XS like Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs 2, Sniper Elite 4, also without the developers' help. This proves Microsoft can indeed enhance old games on their own.

However both H5 and MCC's X1X enhancements were made by 343i themself, as well as MCC's recent 120FPS XS enhancements. In the waypoint updated I mentioned, 343i openly said "While Halo 5 is not getting the same optimizations for Xbox Series X and Series S as MCC, owners of the next-gen hardware are still going to see the benefits of faster load times and consistently higher resolution gameplay", implying the Xbox team won't get involved in upgrades in this case.

So games can be enhanced by their original developers or the Xbox team. Sadly at the moment there are just no plans from either side to upgrade H5.
I’m aware of this. Developers enhanced games for One X when they had to push higher-res assets and so forth to consoles. The Xbox team pushed through One X enhancements for 360 games because their emulator allowed them to change graphical settings. They didn’t alter or add any assets.

FPS Boost seems to be another project for the back-compat team which they can accomplish with their emulator. Xbox One games are effectively being emulated on Series X|S which is why they are able to bring FPS Boost to many games.

There are versions of games out now made specifically for X|S and they contain higher-res patches and all that. Those versions are different than what you have available for Xbox One. Basically, the back-compat team is taking previous generation titles and enhancing them for the current generation consoles without altering any assets. If developers make their own patches, then we get them through Smart Delivery or by a separate purchase.

FPS Boost is to X|S what X enhanced was to the One X. Looking at it like this clears up a lot of things. Thus, 343i doesn’t need to have any input on this for X|S owners to get FPS Boost. If the back-compat team decides to work on it (assuming it’s technically feasible), players will get the Xbox One or One X version of H5 with higher framerates.

EDIT: “To that end, the backward compatibility team has developed FPS Boost....”
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

FPS Boost is to X|S what X enhanced was to the One X. Looking at it like this clears up a lot of things. Thus, 343i doesn’t need to have any input on this for X|S owners to get FPS Boost. If the back-compat team decides to work on it (assuming it’s technically feasible), players will get the Xbox One or One X version of H5 with higher framerates.

EDIT: “To that end, the backward compatibility team has developed FPS Boost....”
Yeah I was just talking about that article. Problem is, MCC's 120FPS patch wasn't achieved via "FPS Boost" but 343's own work instead (I mean yeah the end result is still an "FPS boost", just not that Xbox technology you quoted, and all personnel responsible for naming Microsoft's stuff should be fired at once, but I digress), and if I remember it right, the 360 Halos' 60FPS upgrades for the XB1 and their X1X 4K patches were also done by 343i. Maybe Halo's software is just tougher to externally enhance, maybe there are some business factors going on -- we won't get to know -- but for whatever reason the Xbox team never seemed to touch Halo games at all, and since this "FPS Boost" isn't an universal solution yet, we're likely out of luck, 120FPS H5 won't happen in the foreseeable future.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

Yeah I was just talking about that article. Problem is, MCC's 120FPS patch wasn't achieved via "FPS Boost" but 343's own work instead (I mean yeah the end result is still an "FPS boost", just not that Xbox technology you quoted, and all personnel responsible for naming Microsoft's stuff should be fired at once, but I digress), and if I remember it right, the 360 Halos' 60FPS upgrades for the XB1 and their X1X 4K patches were also done by 343i. Maybe Halo's software is just tougher to externally enhance, maybe there are some business factors going on -- we won't get to know -- but for whatever reason the Xbox team never seemed to touch Halo games at all, and since this "FPS Boost" isn't an universal solution yet, we're likely out of luck, 120FPS H5 won't happen in the foreseeable future.
Halo 3 on the 360 was one of the first games to get enhanced for One X by the back-compat team. That's the only 360 game that received any sort of enhancement thus far. There were no framerate upgrades when the game was enhanced for One X, other than the ones gained naturally by the One X being able to cope with tougher areas better than the 360. So, it's wrong to suggest the Xbox team has not touched any Halo games. There were requests to enhance Halo Reach and the other games as well, but 343i released Reach for MCC and enhanced all the games in the collection themselves, thereby negating a need for the back-compat team to do anything.

The 360 games you are referring to are in MCC, a game handled by 343i. MCC is Optimized for Series X|S, which is different from the FPS Boost program. Your claim about 120fps not happening is not founded on anything considering the back-compat team has just started the FPS Boost program. Unless it's technically not possible because of H5's engine, it's still very much possible for the back-compat to take on H5. If they can't or won't do it, I'm sure we'll hear about it. 343i has said they won't work on H5 anymore (much like Ubisoft isn't going to go back to a game from 2014 to optimize it for Series X|S), but the back-compat team has said nothing of the sort. It's all up in the air right now. Probably best to not make claims about something being concrete and confusing others.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

Probably best to not make claims about something being concrete and confusing others.
Alright my memory about 360 games was wrong (I was refering to the original 360 versions, not the MCC, somehow I falsely recall H3 and ODST being able to run at 60FPS on XB1 backward compatibility), sorry for that.

But if anything turns out to be confusing, it will be Microsoft's fault entirely. It's 343i, not me, who firmly stated "Halo 5 is not getting the same optimizations for Xbox Series X and Series S as MCC". At least Ubisoft never explicitly denied XS enhancements for those old games like 343i did, and while the Xbox team can do the technical heavy lifting, they likely still need the developer's consent for a legal get-go. Even if such consent isn't required, in that FPS Boost article the Xbox team said "We partnered closely with developers to enhance the experience while maintaining the game’s original intent" so at least a proper H5 enhancement would likely need some degree of 343i's input. Xbox jumping out of the blue announcing FPS Boost for H5 and contradicting 343i's earlier claims, while still possible, would be very, very odd.

At the moment, the only solid info we have regarding H5's future is that Community Update, which says H5 is not going to get XS optimizations like MCC did. Whether they backtrack or Xbox pulls off their own trick is all left to speculation.
All that was said before system level fps boosting was a thing, and 343i would've been referring to a series x optimisation like what MCC received.

The question has come up again now we have the first wave of system level fps boosted games, MS has clearly said the original code doesn't need to be touched... No work required!

If the BC team get H5 running without breaking animations or something I doubt 343 would oppose it, and being owned by MS they might not even have a say in the matter.

I think there's a decent chance we'll (we'll those with a TV capable of doing so) be playing H5 at 120fps before infinite comes out.