OP Ghost reaper0d

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
Hello
As you all know Halo 5 has been released. However multiple review sites and people have been saying the story is really bad, I have been avoiding spoilers as much as possible because I was planning of getting the game or I was. I mainly play Halo for its campaign and story but now I'm on the fence if I should buy it or not because of what I heard. Can someone please shed some light on why everyone is saying the story is bad without spoiling anything and if I should buy it or not.
Thank you
You are going to have to play it to understand.

I really loved it. You knew it was going to happen if you read the Halo 3 terminals, Halsey's Journal, and the all the books that came out after Reach.

The signs were all there.

But people don't want to delve into deep lore and just feel like the whole thing was a cliche sci-fi trope.

But isn't all of Halo a Sci-fi trope?
The story is disappointing but I think its better if you see it for yourself.

The multiplayer is awesome though so I'd still recommend buying Halo 5.

I really loved it. You knew it was going to happen if you read the Halo 3 terminals, Halsey's Journal, and the all the books that came out after Reach.

But people don't want to delve into deep lore and just feel like the whole thing was a cliche sci-fi trope.

You could know the lore and still think it missed the mark. Like me.
Haven't played past the Glassed mission yet but so far I do understand the criticism from a neutral point of view. There are a lot of little things going on that are the results of what went on in the books. And to be honest, even though I've read all of them I too was scratching my head a few times already.

I think the main problem is that the game doesn't start with a decent introduction like H4 had. It's missing some context on why Blue Team suddenly is here, how Osiris came together and the status of the renewed Covenant.

Overall however I would say the seeds for the story were planted as far back as H3 and all media from that moment on seems to have directly influenced the direction of this chapter.
Story can make it or break it for me in a game and I have to feel a connection with the world and characters, Was a bit worried glancing at the reviews.
Have been a Halo fan since CE and the story not only makes sense but it's an interesting one.
Script is good, voice acting is excellent. The music completes the story and gives it its moods.

If you're jumping into the franchise and have never heard of Halo before, watch The Fall of Reach, it won't explain everything but will give you enough of the game's premise.
Would recommend playing prior Halos' campaign, they're all great. Same as reading Tolkien or even Harry Potter lol, best to start at book one.

The story is good, with many intense moments. I'd recommend turning down sound effects to hear your teammates on COM better, it can get pretty loud in battle ;)
DonVinzone wrote:
Haven't played past the Glassed mission yet but so far I do understand the criticism from a neutral point of view. There are a lot of little things going on that are the results of what went on in the books. And to be honest, even though I've read all of them I too was scratching my head a few times already.

I think the main problem is that the game doesn't start with a decent introduction like H4 had. It's missing some context on why Blue Team suddenly is here, how Osiris came together and the status of the renewed Covenant.

Overall however I would say the seeds for the story were planted as far back as H3 and all media from that moment on seems to have directly influenced the direction of this chapter.
Honestly recommend playing the other Halos if someone has never heard of the franchise before. Just like some books follow each other, it's always best to start with the first one. Fall of Reach gives a ton of info as well.
I'm easily confused and the plot here wasn't hard for me to get.
Story can make it or break it for me in a game and I have to feel a connection with the world and characters, Was a bit worried glancing at the reviews.
Have been a Halo fan since CE and the story not only makes sense but it's an interesting one.
Script is good, voice acting is excellent. The music completes the story and gives it its moods.

If you're jumping into the franchise and have never heard of Halo before, watch The Fall of Reach, it won't explain everything but will give you enough of the game's premise.
Would recommend playing prior Halos' campaign, they're all great. Same as reading Tolkien or even Harry Potter lol, best to start at book one.

The story is good, with many intense moments. I'd recommend turning down sound effects to hear your teammates on COM better, it can get pretty loud in battle ;)
I have read the first three Halo books and played every Halo prior to 5, though I haven't read any other books.

I have read the first three Halo books and played every Halo prior to 5, though I haven't read any other books.
In that case your probably best off reading the Kilo Five trilogy by Karen Traviss. They might be a bit meh but they do tell you more about the AI's perspectives on rampancy and Cortana as well as the Colony, Jul 'Mdama stuff and more.
the main problems are they don't explain anything. who anyone is and why should I care?

the blue team is just there.. who is linda fred and that other guy whats his name? I literally don't remember. why does the chief need them and how did they meet that's not told in the story.
why was it necessary to bring a team of Spartans to hunt and kill chief? did he get warnings or anything? did anyone actually think hes probably doing the right thing? he saved the human race. and same thing as blue team who are these people? we know buck from odst but vale? tanaka or whatever who are they?
the marketing ads lied and has nothing to do with the story neither does hunt the truth so if you watched or listened to those you will be confused too.
just no back story at all. so where has the chief been since halo 4? who knows
I think most people dont like that what the marketing setup is not really what one experiences in the game.
What we see in the marketing really takes up a couple of missions and one cutscene.
the main problems are they don't explain anything. who anyone is and why should I care?
the blue team is just there.. who is linda fred and that other guy whats his name? I literally don't remember. why does the chief need them and how did they meet that's not told in the story.
why was it necessary to bring a team of Spartans to hunt and kill chief? did he get warnings or anything? did anyone actually think hes probably doing the right thing? he saved the human race. and same thing as blue team who are these people? we know buck from odst but vale? tanaka or whatever who are they?
the marketing ads lied and has nothing to do with the story neither does hunt the truth so if you watched or listened to those you will be confused too.
So is it like Halo 4, where you don't really know why the Didact is trying to kill everyone or who is the librarian, unless you read the books?
Trailers showed us one thing, Game showed another.

Personally I was very disappointed on how the game turned out, based from the hype from the trailers. However I would still recommend the game to any multiplayer users as the MP is actually very fun compared to Halo 4. But if you're only purchasing the game for the story.. In my opinion, you'd be better off watching the gameplay on Youtube.
I like the Halo story, but I feel there was a gap between Halo 4 and Halo 5. I think 343 spent more time working on the new xbox one (graphics, gameplay, etc) and just tacked the story on. Maybe it will improve with Halo 6 (story I mean).
So is it like Halo 4, where you don't really know why the Didact is trying to kill everyone or who is the librarian, unless you read the books?
pretty much I didn't like halo 4's for similar reasons. don't get me wrong the campaign does have a few interesting parts but yea if you haven't read all the books and all the other pieces of info outside the games you will be confused
I reallly enjoyed the campaign myself, definitely way different then i expected but i liked it! Now i wait to see what happens in 6 :D

You know... if you go really slow and just go at a moderate pace. They will have extra lines banter and have a lot of extra back story

Its all in perspective. Or as Obi-Wan says it, a certain point of view.

But I knew this was going to happen just by Halo 3's terminals and also the moment Cortana split into a 100 different copied fragments. Don't tell me you didn't think there wasn't going to be a mentally warped copy that survived. The Halo 4 Cortana is dead, that is the one who saves you at the end, but this one is definitely a copy. Eben though a copy, doesn't stop her from being any less real for she was the same Cortana till the split during the Battle with the Didact
I liked the story my only gripe was the lack of blue team missions compared to Osiris. Play it for yourself and judge.

Its all in perspective. Or as Obi-Wan says it, a certain point of view.

But I knew this was going to happen just by Halo 3's terminals and also the moment Cortana split into a 100 different copied fragments. Don't tell me you didn't think there wasn't going to be a mentally warped copy that survived. The Halo 4 Cortana is dead, that is the one who saves you at the end, but this one is definitely a copy. Eben though a copy, doesn't stop her from being any less real for she was the same Cortana till the split during the Battle with the Didact
dude don't spoil
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11