Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Is halo 5 still worth buying?

OP balan23

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
It's been a while since I've played halo but I want to get back into it before halo infinite comes out. Is halo 5 worth buying now or should I just wait for halo infinite?
People play Halo games for years. People are still playing Halo CE. It's cheap right now so it's not a bad time to start playing.
I'd say it's worth it. Not my favorite Halo overall, but I bought it at launch and I'm still playing.
Its not like the other Halo titles. Its okay by yourself, but after a few days you'll start to burn out. Use friends to cusion the blow. The campaign... well I'm not going to go into that right now. The real fun comes out of who's playing with you.

I'd say its worth it ONLY IF you have a dedicated network of friends who play it regularly.
For most stores offering it for $15 or $20 it would probably be worth it if you want to get back into the multiplayer and play casually especially since Halo Infinite will still be about a year before it is released.
If you're trying to get prepared for modern Halo which Infinite will probably be like, then H5 would be a good choice for that.
Honestly as much as I love Halo I would say not really... MCC is the better Halo game at the moment IMO. H5 is some what a good game but it's such a grind fest, repetitive and multiplayer maps aren't that great.
I'd have to say no. The population is quickly dwindling and playlists are being removed/becoming rotational left and right. I'd recommend buying MCC instead. More value for the money and there will be more support for it in the future.
You don’t need to buy Halo 5. If you have a game pass subscription you can play it for free. I’m not sure if the $1 offer for 1 month of Xbox live as well as another one for game pass is still around. Same can be said for Rise of Tomb Raider and Gears of War 4, get game pass.
balan23 wrote:
It's been a while since I've played halo but I want to get back into it before halo infinite comes out. Is halo 5 worth buying now or should I just wait for halo infinite?
The game is kind of dying tbh. A lot of the ranked playlist is almost dead like Free for all and Elimination. I even have troubles trying to find a group for big team battle sometimes. Even Warzone can be hard to find a match for depending on what time you are playing. The playlists that are not dead are fiesta, ranked slayer, ranked team arena and the quick play playlists. Infection and Firefight are by far the top playlist in the game and not just because its fun, the main reason why they are the top playlist is that they are the playlist that gives the most exp and rep points. A lot of the population who is playing firefight and infection are only really playing it for the exp in order to get to 152. I'm not saying firefight and infection are not fun, but it gets repetitive since they are the only playlist that will get you to 152 in a reasonable amount of time. They give around 3 times the amount of exp then any other playlist in the game so you can bet your -Yoink- that you will be seeing a lot of high SR in infection and firefight. Firefight and warzone give around the same amount of exp but warzone needs 24 players to start while firefight only needs 8 to start. So you can find a firefight match a lot faster then warzone. I'm not sure about swat and doubles. I think swat might have an ok population and doubles is probably dead. I searched up the price and on the Microsoft store its selling for 25 CAD. That's around 20 USD. For 25 CAD I think its still worth it. I wouldn't spend anything more than 40 CAD (30 USD) on the game since the game is losing population.
I'd say it's worth it. Obviously the glaring weakness is it's campaign, but I still enjoyed it. Multiplayer is still a lot of fun, and there is plenty of things to work on. Seeming as we are still a ways off from Halo Infinite, I'd say go for it.
I see responses above implying the game is dead, but I find matches within 30 seconds in every playlist. The thing with free for all and breakout is expect to have a wide range of skill ranks in the same match. As in anywhere from silver to onyx/champ in 1 match.

I could be having an easier time finding matches as I am firmly in the low to mid platinum level and pretty much always search alone. I'm also in North America.

I think it's worth playing and it's not expensive. I don't know if people still dump real money into req packs. I didn't have a problem not doing that. Reqs build up with time.
balan23 wrote:
All depends on you and what you want. I will say if you don't like grinding or are just not in the mood for it then save your money and wait for infinite or play other games in between the time frames.
Its not like the other Halo titles. Its okay by yourself, but after a few days you'll start to burn out. Use friends to cusion the blow. The campaign... well I'm not going to go into that right now. The real fun comes out of who's playing with you.

I'd say its worth it ONLY IF you have a dedicated network of friends who play it regularly.
I pretty much play solo nowadays and have done so since around Reach. I've not really had much issue with playing Halo 5 solo other than recently there have been some time of day population issues; although, playing with others is usually "better". There are a few playlists that I believe are more difficult, or perhaps less fun, when playing solo. For me those are: Doubles, Team Arena, Elimination, Grifball (which I pretty much never play), and in some ways Warzone. That doesn't stop me from venturing into these playlists solo, but my experience when doing so hasn't been nearly as good when I go into them with at least one other person.

With this said, if your skill is of Onyx capability then you may find it a bit more difficult to find matches; especially, at trough times and if you're not within the USA. And when you do find matches expect your back to get a bit sore because you'll likely be carrying your team.

PS. There's always the Custom Browser too. You can create your own custom game experience and open it up to the public or you can serf the browser to see what's available to join there.
The game is not dead, I have no idea why you people keep saying that. Certain playlists are dead. But the game is not dead. And stop advertising MCC in the Halo 5 forum, that shlt should get your -Yoink- thrown out around here. -Yoink- this forum if you don't play this game. MCC has LESS players than Halo 5 even on a good day.

The real answer to the OP is yes, the game is still worth buying. But your mileage will vary depending on personal taste. I recommend starting out in Quick Play. Learn the three maps, learn the "meta" and get used to the controls. Learn the important jumps. Then, migrate to ranked Team Arena and Doubles. That's where the real grind is.
And stop advertising MCC in the Halo 5 forum, that shlt should get your -Yoink- thrown out around here. -Yoink- this forum if you don't play this game.
Wow, this isn't a case of people advertising him to play a game from a different franchise or something on PS4 so not sure why you're getting so mad. Ultimately, this is a Halo forum and people can give their honest opinions about what Halo game they think is best to get. At the end of the day, the OP is the only one who will decide what he thinks is best to buy after considering all the opinions.

And just for record, I play MCC and H5 and I'd recommend MCC as well for the overall game experience.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Wrong. You are on a Halo 5 subforum right now. You should be on the MCC subforum. This subforum is for people who are interested in Halo 5. The last thing we need are Bungie fanboys leaking from their own little microcosm and trying to divert people from Halo 5.

I play Halo 5, and I play MCC. That doesn't mean I go brigading on MCC subforums telling people to play Halo 5. Don't be this guy.
Bungie fanboys? Seriously.. The people saying to play MCC also play H5 so it's not like we're a boycott H5 kind of people. While I do have criticisms of H5, I do enjoy it since I'm an SR152 and have played a ton more of H5 than I have MCC so please keep your assumed stereotypes about us to yourself. And I am interested in H5 which is why I regularly post on this forum and why I'm an SR152, so I have every right to be here just like you.

No one on here is brigading. All we're doing is giving our opinion on if H5 is worth getting or not and mentioning that a different Halo game might be a better value which is a valid opinion in this type of thread. If he went into the MCC forum and asked if it was worth getting, I would give the same opinion if I thought H5 was better. It's no different than just saying "no, don't get it because it's not worth it", but instead we decided to offer an alternative besides just saying no, and it also keeps him playing in the Halo franchise instead of not playing at all if he decided that H5 wasn't worth getting.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
And stop advertising MCC in the Halo 5 forum, that shlt should get your -Yoink- thrown out around here. -Yoink- this forum if you don't play this game.
Wow, this isn't a case of people advertising him to play a game from a different franchise or something on PS4 so not sure why you're getting so mad. Ultimately, this is a Halo forum and people can give their honest opinions about what Halo game they think is best to get. At the end of the day, the OP is the only one who will decide what he thinks is best to buy after considering all the opinions.

And just for record, I play MCC and H5 and I'd recommend MCC as well for the overall game experience.
Wrong. You are on a Halo 5 subforum right now. You should be on the MCC subforum. This subforum is for people who are interested in Halo 5. The last thing we need are Bungie fanboys leaking from their own little microcosm and trying to divert people from Halo 5.

I play Halo 5, and I play MCC. That doesn't mean I go brigading on MCC subforums telling people to play Halo 5. Don't be this guy.
Don't tell me how to Halo. The OP is asking for opinions so I am going to give my opinion. Just because I think MCC is the better over all Halo game right now doesn't make me a bungie fan boy at all. I enjoy both games, infact I have enjoyed every Halo that has been made. The OP said they haven't played Halo in awhile and didn't specify which Halo. If some one is looking to get back into Halo MCC maybe a better fit for them. H5 isn't a bad game by any means but a better over all Halo experience is probably MCC.
LUKEPOWA wrote:

Bungie fanboys? Seriously.. The people saying to play MCC also play H5 so it's not like we're a boycott H5 kind of people. While I do have criticisms of H5, I do enjoy it since I'm an SR152 and have played a ton more of H5 than I have MCC so please keep your assumed stereotypes about us to yourself. And I am interested in H5 which is why I regularly post on this forum and why I'm an SR152, so I have every right to be here just like you.

No one on here is brigading. All we're doing is giving our opinion on if H5 is worth getting or not and mentioning that a different Halo game might be a better value which is a valid opinion in this type of thread. If he went into the MCC forum and asked if it was worth getting, I would give the same opinion if I thought H5 was better. It's no different than just saying "no, don't get it because it's not worth it", but instead we decided to offer an alternative besides just saying no, and it also keeps him playing in the Halo franchise instead of not playing at all if he decided that H5 wasn't worth getting.
LethalQ wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

Don't tell me how to Halo. The OP is asking for opinions so I am going to give my opinion. Just because I think MCC is the better over all Halo game right now doesn't make me a bungie fan boy at all. I enjoy both games, infact I have enjoyed every Halo that has been made. The OP said they haven't played Halo in awhile and didn't specify which Halo. If some one is looking to get back into Halo MCC maybe a better fit for them. H5 isn't a bad game by any means but a better over all Halo experience is probably MCC.
*claps hands*

very very good. HOWEVER- the OP specifically asked whether Halo 5 was worth buying. A simple yes or no would have sufficed. He wasn't inquiring about MCC. You shamelessly plugged MCC, and for that, I have issue. ESPECIALLY since there is a huge debate going on right now about whether Halo 6 should use advanced mechanics or "classic" mechanics. You guys already know this. I know there are MCC people who only post on this subforum to bash the game right now. I apologize for being touchy but you know how it is. This is possibly the greatest war between fans ever in the franchise's history. And we all have our sides, no?

For example, I personally cannot go back to MCC. Halo 5 is my preferred game. This is of course irrelevant to OP's thread. But once again, you guys broached the subject first. A subject that must be tread lightly upon from now on if you wish to avoid these sensitive matters.

Thanks for reading...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3