Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

IS HALO 5 THE DARKEST IN THE SERIES LIKE PROMISED?

OP N1K Leonhart

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'd say Reach was darkest.
well for overall destruction, i would say yeah its pretty well up there.

For overall darkest halo, i would actually say that would probably be Reach, followed by 2.
We're fighting teleporting robots and saving the galaxy from a bunch of eagles that have been sleeping for... a long time. No way is it dark. A dark story to me is witnessing mass genocide from a faction that wants nothing more than exterminating the human race... wait we see that happen in reach and the novels.
i would honestly say the mass effect games are WAY darker than halo 5 to be totally honest. though they are 2 different games series.

For overall darkest halo, i would actually say that would probably be Reach, followed by 2.
I get Reach, but 2, really? More so than 3 or 4? Johnson and Miranda dead. Flood on Earth, Africa glassed. Contana's rampant self babbling at Chief and the Gravemind yelling at him while he's trudging through a Flood infested High Charity. A UNSC Captain trying to arrest the flippin' Master Chief. Ivanoff Station composed, New Phoenix composed. Dr. Tilson face melt. Cortana dead (at that point). Chief dealing with his own humanity. I mean, Arbiter's story is sad and grim, sure, but I don't think it tops Halo 3 or 4 for darkness.

I get Reach, but 2, really? More so than 3 or 4? Johnson and Miranda dead. Flood on Earth, Africa glassed. Contana's rampant self babbling at Chief and the Gravemind yelling at him while he's trudging through a Flood infested High Charity. A UNSC Captain trying to arrest the flippin' Master Chief. Ivanoff Station composed, New Phoenix composed. Dr. Tilson face melt. Cortana dead (at that point). Chief dealing with his own humanity. I mean, Arbiter's story is sad and grim, sure, but I don't think it tops Halo 3 or 4 for darkness.
i feel 2 is more dark because you get to see the "fall" of the covenant as we knew in halo ce, and forced truce between Sanghelli and humanity, betrayal. attempted genocide of the Sanghelli from the brutes. Though i easily see where you are coming from!

Though it is my own personal taste to be honest. also halo 2 is my favorite halo game to date and my second favorite game of all time....well its in the top 3, i cant decide the order between sonic 2, halo 2 and last of us. lol
It's definitely not the darkest. It's got more of a popcorn feeling to it, nothing dark about it at all. The rivalry between Chief and Locke was really disappointing and could've been something really special.

H5 campaign was really really disappointing and not memorable at all.

I found that scene somewhat funny actually

I found that scene somewhat funny actually
i found it funny as well, because they all knew what Cheif had done so why would they arrest the one man that saved them all? lmao.
Disney has had darker moments.

Finding Dory? Frozen? Any Toy Story? Do these qualify as darker than H5G? I think they do.

Either way, Halo 5 wasn't dark. We need something more. Flood should rampage across the galaxy, make them like the time of the Forerunners. Or Halo CE/2 with Halo 3 style physics [ex. they had a lot of health in H2, were a decent threat in CE, and in Halo 3 they could completely fall apart when hit by powerful weapons. Halo 3 also had plenty of variety]. Bring back the Covenant being an actual threat. The Banished are the perfect opportunity, depending on what happens with HW2 [hoping both sides survive but the Spirit stops Atriox from getting what he was after]

For story, I would say Halo CEA was the darkest, if you can't say Reach. Doesn't matter what you say, either way Halo 5 is the least dark and least gory of any Halo. I say, just give us Halo 3, 5, and Reach combined. The sandboxes of Halo 3, Reach, and 5, Reach's maps, customization, and graphics, 3.s gameplay and maps, 5's Forge [but not controls, by Forge I mean potential to make such great maps but with Reach's controls]
Guys i just figured since voices of war req is canon and we have exuberant talking in simulation that even in apocalyptic state of world everyone is having fun.The comedy continues in Halo 6.LOL
Well, it might be the darkest point for the franchise if you ask some people. Personally I find it less of a dark spot than the wretched Halo 4.
KCD0DGER wrote:
Well, it might be the darkest point for the franchise if you ask some people. Personally I find it less of a dark spot than the wretched Halo 4.
Halo 4 didn't needlessly turn an main character evil and effectively shelve all the narrative developments that happened for the last 4 years for some nonsense AI rebellion cliche.
Dark themes in games don't require an M rating. Halo 5 could have tackled darker themes while still being within the confines of a T rating. You don't need cursing and blood for a game to be dark. You just need tragedy, really.
KCD0DGER wrote:
Halo 4 didn't needlessly turn an main character evil and effectively shelve all the narrative developments that happened for the last 4 years for some nonsense AI rebellion cliche.
No, you're right. It did something even worse. It disregarded the last ten year of lore to start another fight.
Not even close. Like you said, there's no blood, it's T-rated, no one dies... and on the whole, the story is too much of a bad joke to be taken seriously. So no, it's not dark. Just disappointing.
kobiquil wrote:
It's dark in the way that it put halo's record of great storytelling in a dark place.
This. This is the only reason it could be considered dark.
KCD0DGER wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
No, you're right. It did something even worse. It disregarded the last ten year of lore to start another fight.
Which lore did it discard?
Not even close. Like you said, there's no blood, it's T-rated, no one dies... and on the whole, the story is too much of a bad joke to be taken seriously. So no, it's not dark. Just disappointing.
YEAH MAN!!!3years in the making for a 5 hour 90s action movie joke.Im just so angry because of false advertising and the way they lied to us fans.Darkest story,false trailers,many epic fights,8-12 hours of campaign on normal,more blue team miissions.And if there were only 3 more real missions instead of those 3 minute talk missions i would have forgiven them
When was it promised to be dark, exactly?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3