Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Is it still worth getting Halo 5 in 2018?

OP A Sangheilli

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
I've been thinking, is it still worth getting Halo 5 in 2018? I haven't picked it up yet, so do you think I should?
Halo Infinite's around the corner, so I'd just flip a coin, honestly.
Honestly, it depends on a few factors:
  • Did you enjoy Halo 4? In some ways, Halo 5 continues trends that were in Halo 4. In other ways, it's different. But it doesn't play like any of the Halos from the original trilogy.
  • What's more important to you: story or multiplayer? Halo 5 got mixed reviews for its campaign, at best. The multiplayer continues to be decisive, but the general consensus is that Halo 5 is more of a "modern" shooter than the original Halos.
  • Is tight matchmaking essential for you? Halo 5 is ~3 years old, and though it has a dedicated multiplayer base, matchmaking is not as good as it was in year 1. Population decreases have led to some concessions, and depending on where you are or when you play, it may be tough to find a close match. US players typically don't encounter issues with finding games, except maybe during odd hours of the night.
  • Warzone may be tough for you because you'll be 3 years behind on your REQ collection, so you won't have immediate access to powerful weapons to call upon in Warzone or Warzone Firefight. You'd have to build that up over time.
  • Is customization important to you? If so, know that Halo 5 customization is tied to the REQ system, and is totally random. So if you see a particular armor or weapon skin you really want, know that it could be a long time before you get it.
I imagine that picking up a used copy of Halo 5 at this point would be quite cheap. However, you should really think about whether you want to get invested in a 3 year old game. If you love everything Halo, then sure, you'd probably get enjoyment out of it. If you're here asking, you probably are unsure or on-the-fence about something, so I'd suggest really thinking about it and researching reviews, opinions, and whatnot before dropping the money and--more importantly--time.
2 years is around the corner? lol

But yes, I'd get it. Personally I don't really like the game and prefer MCC but Its absolutely worth a try.
Definitely ask yourself what you are getting it for.
The price is probably cheap now, especially used.

If you are only getting it for the campaign, you might be disappointed.
However, if you are very interested in continuing the story of Halo, and considering the cheap price, it might still be worth it.
Also here are a couple of other factors to add to Chimera30's points.

• Are you an Adamant Achievement Hunter always aiming for 100% Achievement Completion with every game you play? If so, keep in mind the Warlord Achievement is glitched and may not unlock for you. Also some achievements have to be completed Co-Op in the Campaign (And some are hard to get without Co-Op Play), so if you intend to Play Halo 5: Guardians without LIVE Friends, you will have a bit of achievements that will not be obtainable.
  • Do you use the Halo Titles to create Halo themed Photography and Art? If so, the Vanilla Maps in Halo 5 are rather bland by themselves and I would recommend you going into my Halo 5 File Share and getting my Photo Op maps for visually enhanced maps. Also from the Photographer Fanbase part of the Halo community, alot of them considered Halo 3 and Halo: Reach to be the better games for Halo Screenshots due to more dynamic lighting, more FX, stuff being hidden outside the maps, and the playability of Elites.
  • Are you used to using primarily Precision Weapons and the Magnum due to playing the older Halo games? If so, this will pay off in Campaign and Arena gameplay, but in Warzone game variants, you may find youself coming up short on kills and points due to not using REQ Cards.
BTB Bill wrote:
2 years is around the corner? lol
Pretty much. I mean, all the Halo games were released one year after they were announced apart from H5 and HW2, so yeah.
Nothing much to add until you answer those questions in the previous posts. Are you still playing Halo games like MCC?
It really depends on personal preference. Personally, I would, because I own every other game in the MC Collection, and I believe that the matchmaking/campaign aspects are great in Halo 5, but to each his or her own.
Nope
It's definitely worth the experience and you won't know till you give it a try. Just something to note though if you play from outside the US you may get problems in MP as the population has decreased so be willing to put up with quite a bit of frustration there however, when H5 plays well and you get a great connection this games a lot of fun and you can have a blast...
I think it's worth getting. I picked it up a few months ago. The basic campaign is good, and Warzone Firefight multiplayer is also good.
Pay for a few months of game pass. If you're getting into it this late, I personally doubt you're going to play more than 3-6 months. You're probably just in a summer game lull and you think you want H5, but you'll get pulled away at the next big launch in a few months. (Sorry, I'm not trying to speak for you, I just know when I used to have more time for games this happened to me every summer)

But if you just get game pass instead you get H5 and a whole bunch of other games.
I would say yes as an avid halo fan. The mm is pretty good imo. Though you would be playing against people that have played a lot so it may be discouraging jumping into it.

As for campaign. Well it's certainly divisive story, but i actually did enjoy it. Also looks really pretty graphically. Though preferred Reach and 2 anniversary for art style.
If you like halo and the price is cheap sure why not. You can get a pretty easy 20-30 hours out of it at the very least I think. If your into the multiplayer of reach this is a pretty similar play style. If you enjoyed reach I'd say go for it theirs enough too keep you busy and have fun. If you need people to play with you can always join a spartan company or ask some fellas on here, most people on here are pretty friendly in my experience.
Chimera left a really thorough comment. Here's why I would recommend that you buy the game.

I enjoyed it and I bought it almost exactly a year ago. If I were you, I would get it. It took me 6 months to unlock everything and a few days to beat the campaign on legendary, and it will stoke you for Halo infinite.

It has a steeper learning curve than any game before it, but I would recommend it because the new gameplay is rewarding and fun. Get it at a discount IMHO.
Chimera30 wrote:
Honestly, it depends on a few factors:
  • Did you enjoy Halo 4? In some ways, Halo 5 continues trends that were in Halo 4. In other ways, it's different. But it doesn't play like any of the Halos from the original trilogy.
  • What's more important to you: story or multiplayer? Halo 5 got mixed reviews for its campaign, at best. The multiplayer continues to be decisive, but the general consensus is that Halo 5 is more of a "modern" shooter than the original Halos.
  • Is tight matchmaking essential for you? Halo 5 is ~3 years old, and though it has a dedicated multiplayer base, matchmaking is not as good as it was in year 1. Population decreases have led to some concessions, and depending on where you are or when you play, it may be tough to find a close match. US players typically don't encounter issues with finding games, except maybe during odd hours of the night.
  • Warzone may be tough for you because you'll be 3 years behind on your REQ collection, so you won't have immediate access to powerful weapons to call upon in Warzone or Warzone Firefight. You'd have to build that up over time.
  • Is customization important to you? If so, know that Halo 5 customization is tied to the REQ system, and is totally random. So if you see a particular armor or weapon skin you really want, know that it could be a long time before you get it.
I imagine that picking up a used copy of Halo 5 at this point would be quite cheap. However, you should really think about whether you want to get invested in a 3 year old game. If you love everything Halo, then sure, you'd probably get enjoyment out of it. If you're here asking, you probably are unsure or on-the-fence about something, so I'd suggest really thinking about it and researching reviews, opinions, and whatnot before dropping the money and--more importantly--time.
I'm basically sold on the mp, but the only things keeping me back are whether I'll be able to access it, as I'm moving to the Philippines soon, and don't know whether I can get Gold there or not. As for Warzone, REQs aren't really a bother for me. Just gonna bring a noob combo. As for the question whether I enjoyed Halo 4, I did, it was my first Halo, and the scene when you exit the cave and see Requiem just made me feel a sense of wonder as to what else I can find. I guess I can decide when I can get Gold membership or not, as the multiplayer is what has me interested.
Also here are a couple of other factors to add to Chimera30's points.

• Are you an Adamant Achievement Hunter always aiming for 100% Achievement Completion with every game you play? If so, keep in mind the Warlord Achievement is glitched and may not unlock for you. Also some achievements have to be completed Co-Op in the Campaign (And some are hard to get without Co-Op Play), so if you intend to Play Halo 5: Guardians without LIVE Friends, you will have a bit of achievements that will not be obtainable.
  • Do you use the Halo Titles to create Halo themed Photography and Art? If so, the Vanilla Maps in Halo 5 are rather bland by themselves and I would recommend you going into my Halo 5 File Share and getting my Photo Op maps for visually enhanced maps. Also from the Photographer Fanbase part of the Halo community, alot of them considered Halo 3 and Halo: Reach to be the better games for Halo Screenshots due to more dynamic lighting, more FX, stuff being hidden outside the maps, and the playability of Elites.
  • Are you used to using primarily Precision Weapons and the Magnum due to playing the older Halo games? If so, this will pay off in Campaign and Arena gameplay, but in Warzone game variants, you may find youself coming up short on kills and points due to not using REQ Cards.
!st question: No, I'm in it to enjoy the mp.
2nd question: No, I don't really mess around with that. Thanks for the offer with the File Share though.
3rd question: REQs aren't a bother for me. I could just use a noob combo and scavenge across the map. Will need to get used to advanced mobility though.
I say yes! The game should be very cheap, or u could use game pass. Either way, you can have plenty of fun with it before the next halo game comes out.
Regice554 wrote:
I say yes! The game should be very cheap, or u could use game pass. Either way, you can have plenty of fun with it before the next halo game comes out.
Okay, so let me ask a different question. Would it still be fun without access to online multiplayer?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5