Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Is it still worth getting Halo 5 in 2018?

OP A Sangheilli

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Regice554 wrote:
I say yes! The game should be very cheap, or u could use game pass. Either way, you can have plenty of fun with it before the next halo game comes out.
Okay, so let me ask a different question. Would it still be fun without access to online multiplayer?
The only thing you'll be able to access is the Campaign just about, so, no.

I don't think it's worth getting. You'd be better off waiting for the MCC patch and play classic Halo than play Halo 5.
Phaaze wrote:
Regice554 wrote:
I say yes! The game should be very cheap, or u could use game pass. Either way, you can have plenty of fun with it before the next halo game comes out.
Okay, so let me ask a different question. Would it still be fun without access to online multiplayer?
The only thing you'll be able to access is the Campaign just about, so, no.

I don't think it's worth getting. You'd be better off waiting for the MCC patch and play classic Halo than play Halo 5.
If you don't have gold it's probably not worth it. You will only be able to play campaign. Which gets more hate than it deserves, the missions Blue Team and Swords of Sanghelios were really fun missions to play, actually I think all the missions on Sanghelios were fun. But as pointed out also you can probably pick up used disc copy really cheap so it maybe worth it.
I have four Platinum packs... If we match in a game send me a quick message in game saying I see you or something (so I can verify we did match) and a friend request so I can gift you a pack. You don't have to keep me as a "friend" as I am a solo player.
Get a game pass, sign up for Bing, and download it.

The pass will give you access to more games, spend a half hour a day doing Bing searches ( which isn't great, but hey if you're looking to save $ ), and you can pretty much get the rest of your passes for free using MS points.

Honestly the game really isn't worth buying right now, unless it's less then the pass price ( which is free for the first month or 14 days or something, and bing can also get you a cheap live sub as well )
absolutely.

Its one of the best multiplayer halo games and has an active community. There is also a really deep forge system with a great community that creates some awesome stuff.

its also included with game pass or dirt cheap to buy used.
For sure. I got Halo 5 about a year ago after more or less not playing any Halos for several years and I play it almost every day. If you're a Halo fan, pick it up.

It's $20 new at Best Buy now. Probably even cheaper elsewhere. I would recommend getting the disc though, as the download can take quite some time.
I've been playing since January 2018 and have gotten a decent amount of entertainment out of it.
Regice554 wrote:
Mmmmmm, maybe not. The campaign is lacking replay value, or at least the level past games had. And online is needed for co op, a change every one lashed out at. But personaly i had fun doing a solo run and listening to all the dialog the game had, plus some of the collectibles you can find add a bit of depth/detail to the game.
Halo Infinite's around the corner, so I'd just flip a coin, honestly.
Halo Infinite is probably still 2 years away.
I just got Halo 5 again a month ago and I'm loving it. Finished campaign (it was great in co-op, don't listen to MasterChief fanboys) and the MP is literally the best FPS MP on any console to date. Get it. It's amazing. If you're a casual player , you will get crushed though. Most players that are still on halo are very, very good.
I would say yes, especially since it's so cheap now. Who knows if you'll like the campaign or not. Personally, I did. Not in my top 3 Halo campaigns, but not my least favorite, and it's still leagues better than most other mainstream multiplayer games I've seen that tack on a campaign. As for multiplayer, well, I still play it so there's at least one person you can destroy fairly easily assuming you have some level of experience with Halo mp.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
No...
Could you tell me why it isn't a good idea, in your opinion?
I'd say it's worth it (Gamepass or standalone). Even if you are unable to play the MP, I'd say Halo 5 is worth it. The singleplayer gets a fair bit of flak, mostly in regards to story, and some of it is well deserved. It isn't a perfect experience, but it is still Halo. There are some awesome missions (somebody above already mentioned the missions on Sanghelios). Even the less then stellar missions get propped up by Halo 5's superb gameplay though there is a prevailing feeling throughout the entire thing that the campaign could've been much more. The missions where you go around speaking with NPCs elude to a time when this game might have been planned to be a lot more open-ended. Still it's not expensive by now and you will get at least 20 hours of enjoyment out of it (provided you want to do playthroughs on different difficulties).

But the game only really shines when you play the online modes. It can be insanely frustating at times due to the Halo 5's focus on competitive arena playlists, but by the Forerunners is the gameplay not sublime! Once get the hang if it and everything clicks (it takes time), Halo 5 can be the most fun online FPS of this gen (IMO). Played all sorts of shooters since 2015 and still I always come back to it.
I'd get it. I got it on release and played Warzone and campaign very briefly. It's been collecting dust for almost three years (not sure why!), but I've fired it up again recently and Arena is awesome. Others are right though, you'll have a hard time at first unless you're a natural. People have had a head start.They know the maps, where the power weapons are etc. so until you're up to speed try not to get too frustrated, play slayer and stick with your team and you'll be fine. Also, like me, you might want to ignore your K/D for a while!

EDIT: Missed the part where you mentioned you may not have access to Gold, sorry! As for campaign, it's got nothing on the previous games (except Halo 4 & ODST which are the weakest IMO).
No...
Bad physics (vehicles); wierd hit detection; lag that only affects one team, so the best game mode to play is Warzone, but if you are new, you won't have anything good to play against the clans that use everything to win (even in arena); bad story; REQ. System; the worst aim that I've seen in a fps, etc.
I'd say it's worth it (Gamepass or standalone). Even if you are unable to play the MP, I'd say Halo 5 is worth it. The singleplayer gets a fair bit of flak, mostly in regards to story, and some of it is well deserved. It isn't a perfect experience, but it is still Halo. There are some awesome missions (somebody above already mentioned the missions on Sanghelios). Even the less then stellar missions get propped up by Halo 5's superb gameplay though there is a prevailing feeling throughout the entire thing that the campaign could've been much more. The missions where you go around speaking with NPCs elude to a time when this game might have been planned to be a lot more open-ended. Still it's not expensive by now and you will get at least 20 hours of enjoyment out of it (provided you want to do playthroughs on different difficulties).

But the game only really shines when you play the online modes. It can be insanely frustating at times due to the Halo 5's focus on competitive arena playlists, but by the Forerunners is the gameplay not sublime! Once get the hang if it and everything clicks (it takes time), Halo 5 can be the most fun online FPS of this gen (IMO). Played all sorts of shooters since 2015 and still I always come back to it.
I saw the missions on Sanghelios, and they look fun. Being behind isn't an issue, I've only been able to play Reach online for 6 days, and for that small of a time period, I think my K/D is pretty decent, with lag in mind, as my connection isn't that good for online play.
I'd get it. I got it on release and played Warzone and campaign very briefly. It's been collecting dust for almost three years (not sure why!), but I've fired it up again recently and Arena is awesome. Others are right though, you'll have a hard time at first unless you're a natural. People have had a head start.They know the maps, where the power weapons are etc. so until you're up to speed try not to get too frustrated, play slayer and stick with your team and you'll be fine. Also might want to ignore your K/D for a while!

EDIT: Missed the part where you mentioned you may not have access to Gold, sorry! As for campaign, it's got nothing on the previous games (except Halo 4 & ODST which are the weakest IMO).
I actually liked 4, although that may just be nostalgia, as it was my first Halo, and it was enjoyable IMO. I felt for the Chief when Cortana died, even if I knew nothing about them. As for ODST, I got it as a bonus with the base Halo 3.
No...
Bad physics (vehicles); wierd hit detection; lag that only affects one team, so the best game mode to play is Warzone, but if you are new, you won't have anything good to play against the clans that use everything to win (even in arena); bad story; REQ. System; the worst aim that I've seen in a fps, etc.
Will gameplay be affected by connection strength, or is it a coin toss whether the game feels like it wants to give you a lag free game?
A Sangheilli - please don't post multiple times in a row thanks. You can edit your last post to add more information or quote other users
I've been thinking, is it still worth getting Halo 5 in 2018? I haven't picked it up yet, so do you think I should?
try to pick it up used,if you can
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5