Is this worth buying at this point?

OP Hydro BxR

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
My advice is to wait for Halo 6. I myself a person who grew up with Halo don't play Halo 5 that much anymore. Most of that being that I dont really find official servers or that it takes a long time to find a game. The only thing you can really play is custom games with some 10 year olds that scream and can't even pronounce your name properly let alone play properly. I mean seriously a triple assassination at the begining of a game during a ffa game. I have moved on to other games such as Battlefield 1 and CSGO. I am still a Halo fan and long for Halo 6 to come out. If you have Xbox Live Gold you can try Halo 5 for a 14 day free trial and see how it goes.
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:
Been a halo fan since the beginning, played the h5 beta and loved it, pre ordered h5 but never went through with the final purchase. Seen one of my favorite streamers playing halo online and ever since ive had this urge to play halo again, but im wondering if its worth buying at this point, is the community still strong? Is it stronger now than it was?
Get a trial of Xbox Game Pass. You'll have halo 5 for free for 14 days. Test it out and then if you like it you can keep the game pass for like $8 a month.
I just got into halo a few days ago and I'm loving it. Warzone is amazing. As for the arena, get ready to play against super pros at all times. I'm in silver division and I'm getting matched against players that kill me with grenades before my screen loads after last death.
The game pass is a good idea.

Warzone is new an exciting at first, but gets incredibly repetitive. Just wait a little while, you'll see.

As for Arena, I wouldn't be that scared. After playing the 10 games that rank you, you'll be put with players of your skill level, so it's a pretty even match up.
Nope. Doesn't happen. I keep on getting matched against people that wipe the floor with whatever is left of me. I've made a topic about it. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/new-halo-player-and-focused-matchmaking/635d3331-b285-4fde-ab4f-63dd5ccdb581/posts?page=1#post8
FOCUSED search doesn't really do anything. Bad design.
Sorry you experienced that, but don't pass it off as everybody's experience and tell people that because it happens to you, it'll happen to them when it's unique to you.
Friend, It's not a unique experience to me but to all new players. Six friends joined me on halo a week ago. We are all new players and we all experience the same issue. The only people that probably don't get this problem are the elite because the elite population is much larger.
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:
Been a halo fan since the beginning, played the h5 beta and loved it, pre ordered h5 but never went through with the final purchase. Seen one of my favorite streamers playing halo online and ever since ive had this urge to play halo again, but im wondering if its worth buying at this point, is the community still strong? Is it stronger now than it was?
Get a trial of Xbox Game Pass. You'll have halo 5 for free for 14 days. Test it out and then if you like it you can keep the game pass for like $8 a month.
I just got into halo a few days ago and I'm loving it. Warzone is amazing. As for the arena, get ready to play against super pros at all times. I'm in silver division and I'm getting matched against players that kill me with grenades before my screen loads after last death.

Warzone is new an exciting at first, but gets incredibly repetitive. Just wait a little while, you'll see.

As for Arena, I wouldn't be that scared. After playing the 10 games that rank you, you'll be put with players of your skill level, so it's a pretty even match up.
Nope. Doesn't happen. I keep on getting matched against people that wipe the floor with whatever is left of me. I've made a topic about it. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/new-halo-player-and-focused-matchmaking/635d3331-b285-4fde-ab4f-63dd5ccdb581/posts?page=1#post8
Sorry you experienced that, but don't pass it off as everybody's experience and tell people that because it happens to you, it'll happen to them when it's unique to you.
Friend, It's not a unique experience to me but to all new players. Six friends joined me on halo a week ago. We are all new players and we all experience the same issue. The only people that probably don't get this problem are the elite because the elite population is much larger.
If these are new players, it's most likely less of a match-up issue. You guys just need to get good at the game. I know that's gonna be hard to hear, but I'll be the first to admit I sucked when I first started playing Halo 5. Halo is not Call of Duty. You can't just jump into it and do well right away. It takes time to get the skills down and especially takes time to learn how to effectively use things like the thruster, ADS, etc.

When I first played Halo 5, I remember getting so frustrated because I was terrible. Then, my friend suggested I played FFA for practice on my own skills and I got much better. These new players need to take time to hone their skills. Not blame 343 and the match-ups.
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:

If these are new players, it's most likely less of a match-up issue. You guys just need to get good at the game. I know that's gonna be hard to hear, but I'll be the first to admit I sucked when I first started playing Halo 5. Halo is not Call of Duty. You can't just jump into it and do well right away. It takes time to get the skills down and especially takes time to learn how to effectively use things like the thruster, ADS, etc.

When I first played Halo 5, I remember getting so frustrated because I was terrible. Then, my friend suggested I played FFA for practice on my own skills and I got much better. These new players need to take time to hone their skills. Not blame 343 and the match-ups.
It's easily a match making issue, it's called broken ranks and a low population with the lack of party based matchmaking. I'd easily blame that on 343 and still do, kind of why I no longer play the game.

its hard to expect noobies to even care to try the game if the game won't take care of its players.
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:

I think it is match up issue. Our skill is quite ok (we've played MP in all previous halos). The issue is, we are silver division and we get matched against platinum and diamond when using focused search. Probably not many people are playing in lower triers so to speed things up the system throws us anything that's available.
LethalQ wrote:
Keep in mind with H5. #1 it is like 100gig of space on the hard drive so be prepared for it and possibly a long download. #2 don't stay away from the campaign. Play it at least once I say. Yeah the plot isn't the best and the script isn't all that well done and there was no hunt as all the build up was leading too... But the environments were very well done. Sanghelios is awesome. It's worth at least one play through. Heck to me the swords of Sanghelios mission is one of the best missions in all of Halo, along with the Blue Team mission.
Literally took 3 hours to install and update
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:

Yea dude ffa is a great way to warm up and improve your game skill in every fps, teaches ya to stay alive and improves gun skill tremendously imo
Well again i pkayed the beta and loved it, i do enjoy the new mechanics, ground pound and shoulder charge are by far my favorite.
As i said at some point in this post i bought the game last night, it seriously took 3 hours to install and update, i have a 1TB external attached so space wasnt an issue, i havent played the story yet but im loving multiplayer, actually wasnt as bad as i thought i would be, first game was the best, had i think 17 kills and went positive. Warzone was fun, and i lost every game. My team got demolished on warzone, upsets me is in stronghold the players i was with werent focused on the obj what so ever..... thats always irritating. I still dont like the new rocket design, just bugs the hell out of me for some reason. Overall tho, day 1 in the offical game for me, and i loved it. Now i just need people to team up with
I say get it. Halo 5 is probably at its best right now and it's cheap, so there's no better time to buy it.
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:

It's easily a match making issue, it's called broken ranks and a low population with the lack of party based matchmaking. I'd easily blame that on 343 and still do, kind of why I no longer play the game.

its hard to expect noobies to even care to try the game if the game won't take care of its players.
I would say your both right to a degree (Sealki and UEG ShadowAngel)

It's true, that a lot of people come into halo that play games like COD, TF, BF1 etc. and don't do good at all. As many people don't understand that though Halo is an FPS, Halo isn't like those games. The amount of times I've heard things like "I shot him so many times!!! Why isn't he dead??? Or something along these lines from new players... Well, let's just say it's a lot! LoL Very rarely does someone pick up halo and is instead good. It just doesn't happen. It has to be worked at. Heck, even COD pro players have even said that going from COD to halo is much harder then going from Halo to COD. There is most certainly a much higher learning curve in Halo.

This said, there are matchmaking issues I would agree. They recently just changed a few things too, which IMO hasn't helped overall I feel. Things do definly get better the more games you play. It won't be perfect, but trust me it does get better. I believe even ZaedynFel has stated that it takes 30 or so games in any playlist for things to really "settle in" per say.

Then you have people who used to be good at past Halos and that aren't very good on Halo 5 and just think the game sucks because of it and that just isn't the case. I started with halo CE (got it the first month it was out) and have been playing Halo even since. Halo 5 has it's flaws, trust me... And I've been very vocal on here about what I like and don't like. I don't like everything at all about the new direction Halo is going, but personally I like Halo 5 a crap ton more OVERALL then Halo 4 or Halo Reach.

@OP I would definitely recommend buying it right now, and checking it out, especially how it's pretty cheap.
At this point your best option is to subscribe to the new Game Pass program. A full version of Halo 5 is included, plus many other games. It's also only $10 a month, so if you only play H5 for two months, and then move on, you can unsubscribe and only have spent $20.
At this point your best option is to subscribe to the new Game Pass program. A full version of Halo 5 is included, plus many other games. It's also only $10 a month, so if you only play H5 for two months, and then move on, you can unsubscribe and only have spent $20.
Or do what i did and buy it from a pawn shop for $5
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:

I would say your both right to a degree (Sealki and UEG ShadowAngel)

It's true, that a lot of people come into halo that play games like COD, TF, BF1 etc. and don't do good at all. As many people don't understand that though Halo is an FPS, Halo isn't like those games. The amount of times I've heard things like "I shot him so many times!!! Why isn't he dead??? Or something along these lines from new players... Well, let's just say it's a lot! LoL Very rarely does someone pick up halo and is instead good. It just doesn't happen. It has to be worked at. Heck, even COD pro players have even said that going from COD to halo is much harder then going from Halo to COD. There is most certainly a much higher learning curve in Halo.

This said, there are matchmaking issues I would agree. They recently just changed a few things too, which IMO hasn't helped overall I feel. Things do definly get better the more games you play. It won't be perfect, but trust me it does get better. I believe even ZaedynFel has stated that it takes 30 or so games in any playlist for things to really "settle in" per say.

Then you have people who used to be good at past Halos and that aren't very good on Halo 5 and just think the game sucks because of it and that just isn't the case. I started with halo CE (got it the first month it was out) and have been playing Halo even since. Halo 5 has it's flaws, trust me... And I've been very vocal on here about what I like and don't like. I don't like everything at all about the new direction Halo is going, but personally I like Halo 5 a crap ton more OVERALL then Halo 4 or Halo Reach.

@OP I would definitely recommend buying it right now, and checking it out, especially how it's pretty cheap.
Well im with ya there, been playing since CE, i bought it the other day and im loving it. Nostalgia is still there, i enjoy the spartan abilities, im loving all of it. The story is fun but idk how i actually feel about the story itself yet. Its definitely better than halo 4 all around. Graphics don't seem different really than h4 tho.
The campaign was a huge let down, but if you enjoyed the Beta you should enjoy the multiplayer. I'd say pick it up if you can find it for ~$30. Or better yet, get a free trial for Xbox Game Pass and play it there before you buy.
Hydro BxR wrote:
Definitely wouldnt buy it new at this point, of course im willing to play whenever i can, im glad to hear that the community is strong, ive heard that with all of the updates h5 seems to be bringing halo back to what it use to be, not entirely but on the right path. But of course thats from a YouTuber who does nothing but halo so i didnt want to take his opinion to seriously.

Well i guess ill be buying asap, feel free to add me and we can play whenever, gt is Hydro BxR
And if you didnt know BxR is from the old buttom glitch in h2
BXR is now actually a medal, except there is no "x". Also, i am pretty sure this trick also worked for Halo 3, not just two.
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:

Have to agree with Sealki, most who hate it don't take the time to play it. H5 takes a long time to get used to and good at. But it's way easier to jump online and blame aspects of the game.
I love that BxR is a medal now, makes me feel special.
Honestly, yes, I believe you should buy Halo 5. The campaign was not all that great, however, the multiplayer experience is fun and enticing. The only downside for new players to Halo 5 is that most people left in Arena playlists are high ranking individuals. I usually get placed in high Platinum, and even then I will be put up against players who are Diamond+. Be prepared to have to work at becoming good at the game, though. But nevertheless I recommend Halo 5.
LethalQ wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:

Have to agree with Sealki, most who hate it don't take the time to play it. H5 takes a long time to get used to and good at. But it's way easier to jump online and blame aspects of the game.
Left it for a day, went terrible. A month., definitely worse. Heavy aim is still there plus not having a 4 person team just gets boring and frustrating after 3-4 matches to me. Plus horrible matchmaking just made me quit and go to other games.
LethalQ wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Sealki wrote:
Hydro BxR wrote:

Left it for a day, went terrible. A month., definitely worse. Heavy aim is still there plus not having a 4 person team just gets boring and frustrating after 3-4 matches to me. Plus horrible matchmaking just made me quit and go to other games.
Can tell you haven't played because heavy aim has been fixed. You are clearly one who doesn't play the game enough to get used to it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4