1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Dragnet 38 wrote:
People advising others not to preorder based on 343's colossal failures to deliver in the past?

Crazy right?

Colossal failures? 343 only have botched one release out of 3. Their track record is a lot better than what most people make them out to be.
Its interesting how fast people have forgotten Halo CEA, Halo 4 and MCC.

CEA had a ton of game breaking bugs on launch that are still not fixed.

Halo 4's multiplayer was almost unplayable for the first 6 months, not to mention all the other problems it had (Spops, Forge, Customs and Theater being inferior to Reach etc)

Halo MCC is still broken for a lot of people, me included.
Tarjoilia wrote:
Dragnet 38 wrote:
People advising others not to preorder based on 343's colossal failures to deliver in the past?

Crazy right?

Colossal failures? 343 only have botched one release out of 3. Their track record is a lot better than what most people make them out to be.

Halo 4's multiplayer was almost unplayable for the first 6 months, not to mention all the other problems it had (Spops, Forge, Customs and Theater being inferior to Reach etc)

And yet I (and many others) had very few problems with any of them....it's weird; same games, same platform, different experiences.
Renyoudie wrote:
Lol this thread has already turned into a cesspool of people who hate logic.

Disgusting.
Welcome to the internet. Not everyone agrees with you.
Dragnet 38 wrote:

Crazy right?

"Colossal failures" is a purely subjective phrase. I don't see either Halo 4 or MCC as failures, let alone colossal ones.

Oh don't worry dear you don't have to as its already widely acknowledged.

"Colossal failure" only becomes a subjective phrase if you wilfully ignore the numerous metrics and community neglect that painted Halo 4's downfall. Read up, yo. This too

Not even going to get into MCC's problems
Tarjoilia wrote:
Dragnet 38 wrote:

Crazy right?

This is news to me. Obviously aside from MMC, I don't ever recall posts lamenting about game breaking bugs. What game breaking bugs are you referring to? I got Halo 4 day 1 and played it quite a bit, and don't ever recall having an almost unplayable multiplayer for a few days let alone 6 whole months. Or are you talking about MM unbalances, which is different from the MM being unplayable.
tL Armada wrote:
Tarjoilia wrote:
Dragnet 38 wrote:

Crazy right?

This is news to me. Obviously aside from MMC, I don't ever recall posts lamenting about game breaking bugs. What game breaking bugs are you referring to? I got Halo 4 day 1 and played it quite a bit, and don't ever recall having an almost unplayable multiplayer for a few days let alone 6 whole months. Or are you talking about MM unbalances, which is different from the MM being unplayable.
I imagine he is referring to the weapon unbalances, which weren't fully fixed until 7 months after launch. I would regard the state of Halo 4's multiplayer prior to the title update as borderline unplayable.
Well congrats op. MCC will remain unfixed and be broken in many ways, and this bad press through the community will mean less will buy Halo 5, killing it in the long run. Your childish mentality is simply adding to the slow decline of this franchise. Well done.
Well congrats op. MCC will remain unfixed and be broken in many ways, and this bad press through the community will mean less will buy Halo 5, killing it in the long run. Your childish mentality is simply adding to the slow decline of this franchise. Well done.
I would like this 1000 times if i could.
L377UC3 wrote:
Baron Kit wrote:
You can do whatever you want my friend with your money and I don't see why people think that pre ordering a game equals a broken game on day one I pre order games to help pay it off sooner when I have the money then paying it off later when I don't have the money.

Companies don't even check pre orders before launch, and to my knowledge don't even get the money until release. It's the same logic as the 343i is MS BS which is 100% false.

Care to elaborate on how 343 isn't MS?
They were created by Micro$haft for the specific purpose of carrying the Halo torch, but that doesn't mean that they are MS. Whether all of the 343 members are/were MS employees or not is of little consequence, because now they're 343. If they were MS, they would just call themselves that.
Dragnet 38 wrote:
Dragnet 38 wrote:

Crazy right?

"Colossal failures" is a purely subjective phrase. I don't see either Halo 4 or MCC as failures, let alone colossal ones.

"Colossal failure" only becomes a subjective phrase if you wilfully ignore the numerous metrics and community neglect that painted Halo 4's downfall. Read up, yo. This too

Halo 4 turned a profit and plenty of people enjoyed (and still enjoy) playing it. I don't see how that can be considered a colossal failure. Just because some people don't like it doesn't mean it was a failure.

But I suppose I shouldn't waste my time and effort arguing with a Halo 2 Master Race fellow anyway. You guys won't be happy until you get Halo 2 every year, whereas I'll be happy with every Halo that comes out because I love the series, not just one installment.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I read your links. The first one can hardly be taken as fact; it's one of the most blatantly biased things I've ever read. The graphs may or may not be correct, but the fact that writer can't go two lines without slandering 343/MS really tanks his credibility. Also, custom games were definitely horrible in Halo 4. To be fair though, custom games pretty much died with Reach anyway. At least for my friends group they did. Gaming as a whole has gotten to the point where very few people want to play custom matches on any game simply because it doesn't help them "progress" - there aren't any ranks or unlocks or any tangible reason to play customs. It really is a shame that most people don't want to just play a game to have fun anymore, they need to be rewarded for playing.
Dragnet 38 wrote:
Dragnet 38 wrote:

Crazy right?

Halo 4 turned a profit and plenty of people enjoyed (and still enjoy) playing it. I don't see how that can be considered a colossal failure. Just because some people don't like it doesn't mean it was a failure.

But I suppose I shouldn't waste my time and effort arguing with a Halo 2 Master Race fellow anyway. You guys won't be happy until you get Halo 2 every year, whereas I'll be happy with every Halo that comes out because I love the series, not just one installment.
Of course Halo 4 turned a profit, it had Halo's entire legacy behind it. No one is arguing Halo 4 was a monetary failure, so stop trying to make that argument equivalent to the one I put before.

I don't understand how you can pigeon hole me as a "Halo 2 Master Race fellow" after I had given you ample information, none of which even made reference to Halo 2.
I'd like to add that I read your links. The first one can hardly be taken as fact; it's one of the most blatantly biased things I've ever read. The graphs may or may not be correct, but the fact that writer can't go two lines without slandering 343/MS really tanks his credibility. Also, custom games were definitely horrible in Halo 4. To be fair though, custom games pretty much died with Reach anyway. At least for my friends group they did. Gaming as a whole has gotten to the point where very few people want to play custom matches on any game simply because it doesn't help them "progress" - there aren't any ranks or unlocks or any tangible reason to play customs. It really is a shame that most people don't want to just play a game to have fun anymore, they need to be rewarded for playing.
It's not bias at all. The writer objectively listed the events during Halo 4's downfall and his "slandering" was a direct response to the 343's total ineptitude to support the game after launch. More than enough reason to get angry was given
Dragnet 38 wrote:
I'd like to add that I read your links. The first one can hardly be taken as fact; it's one of the most blatantly biased things I've ever read. The graphs may or may not be correct, but the fact that writer can't go two lines without slandering 343/MS really tanks his credibility. Also, custom games were definitely horrible in Halo 4. To be fair though, custom games pretty much died with Reach anyway. At least for my friends group they did. Gaming as a whole has gotten to the point where very few people want to play custom matches on any game simply because it doesn't help them "progress" - there aren't any ranks or unlocks or any tangible reason to play customs. It really is a shame that most people don't want to just play a game to have fun anymore, they need to be rewarded for playing.

It's not bias at all. The writer objectively listed the events during Halo 4's downfall and his "slandering" was a direct response to the 343's total ineptitude to support the game after launch. More than enough reason to get angry was given
There is a difference between a game not being the supported the way that you want it to, and it not being supported at all. 343 constantly supported Halo 4 by nerving/buffing guns, changing playlists, adding custom community maps to matchmaking, and fixing other gameplay issues like glitches/bugs. I had a lot more fun playing Halo 4 multiplayer a year after it came out than I did right after it was released.

The writer was looking for any and all reasons to bash 343/MS, whether founded or unfounded, and never once mentioned anything good that they did. That's the definition of biased.

With regards to pigeon-holing you into the Halo 2 Master Race Club, I admit it was an assumption. The way the forums are these days, it seems like those guys are the only ones that get so heated about Halo 4 anymore. So if you're not a Halo 2 Master Race Guy, then I apologize for calling you one.

I'd be curious to hear what you consider what makes a game a "colossal failure". If it isn't sales or enjoyability, then what is it? Halo 4 had no problems generating profit, and many people - including myself - played it right up until the Master Chief Collection came out (and even afterwards because MCC was obviously broken for a while). The population did tank, but it's important to remember that the gaming industry isn't the same as it was in the early 2000's. Hardly any games retain the majority of their initial population for longer than 4-5 months anymore. Population tank doesn't mean the game was a colossal failure, it just means that there were other games that people wanted to play more.
The problem with preorders is that many game developers use preorders as a get out of jail free ticket. Many will produce the best trailer they can for E3 and get the gamers attention and money. Then as the preorders roll in, developers dont have to finish the game. They have already made all of their money back, and any money after release is extra. Its bs consumerism.

Not saying all developers are that way, but its seems to be the norm nowadays.
Dragnet 38 wrote:

Crazy right?

Everybody wants to make Halo 4 the devil, but it really wasn't a bad game. The multiplayer was definitely different, and customizable loadouts weren't the best thing for Halo. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't fun and good in its own way. The story was one of the best in Halo's history. I actually really enjoyed Spartan Ops as well.

MCC had a really crappy start, and that's hard to let go. But the game works fine now, and the April CU looks like it's going to cement the game's greatness by adding quit/betrayal penalties and fixing the ranking system for H2A - which will in turn set 343 up to add ranks to other playlists. I can't think of a non-singleplayer game that came out for the Xbox One that wasn't just as broken as MCC was. Battlefield 4 and Destiny are the two that I had first-hand experience with. They were absolutely shattered at first.

To summarize: I'm going to buy the Halo 5 Limited Collector's Edition the day it comes out because I have loved every Halo game so far, including the H5 beta. I'm not going to listen to some stuck-up Youtube kid who's mad about having to occasionally play Halo 4 when he's in a cross-game playlist, or something else equally ridiculous.
A colossal failure isn't necessarily subjective by all means. If you looked at halo 4, the game made a lot of money, about 2-300 million dollars. In return however, the game suffered a high population drop within the 1st few months of launch. That's pathetic considering that halo 3 managed to be one of the top playing games on xbl, even a year after launch. That is short term thinking on 343's part to create a game that will sell the most while not maintaining its longevity.

The update for april which includes ranking systems and penalizing quitting is not gonna help tmcc by any means, For one, the population is too low for there to be an efficient way of separating the weak from the strong because there isn't a big enough pool of players, which would make mm more inconsistent. This leads to the next problem; creating penalties for quitting is not the way to go. That issue is major, however the path 343 wants to take is not the way to go because with low populations, there's a bigger chance of being in an unfair match. How would you feel if you were penalized for quitting a game in which you either couldn't even be loaded into, or that the balancing of each team was so bad that you couldn't play?

Bf4 and destiny may have been as broken as mcc (which I highly doubt on your part), but the difference is how long it took to be back at full swing. Bf4 took 6-7 months while destiny only took a couple of weeks. Not to mention that they never had the same issues as mcc at launch. It took 3 plus months for the mcc to be back at full swing, but the damage has already been done. Low populations will discourage any more permanent playlists made to halo mcc, and with the full long list of playlists that were to be included within the game at launch, its very disappointing.

Your preorder may be justified a little bit considering that you're ordering a limited addition of halo 5. Nonetheless, your preorder for halo 5 implies that you don't care about the quality of the game before it even launches, not to mention that you're allowing 343 to get away with the mess they created for tmcc. If you can't realize that, prepare for bigger messes than halo mcc because other companies may now look at this situation and think "If they can get away with it, I can get away with it too." Lastly, your impression of bdobbins shows your absolute ignorance of his standing with these issues.
TryHardFan wrote:
Dragnet 38 wrote:

Crazy right?

Everybody wants to make Halo 4 the devil, but it really wasn't a bad game. The multiplayer was definitely different, and customizable loadouts weren't the best thing for Halo. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't fun and good in its own way. The story was one of the best in Halo's history. I actually really enjoyed Spartan Ops as well.

MCC had a really crappy start, and that's hard to let go. But the game works fine now, and the April CU looks like it's going to cement the game's greatness by adding quit/betrayal penalties and fixing the ranking system for H2A - which will in turn set 343 up to add ranks to other playlists. I can't think of a non-singleplayer game that came out for the Xbox One that wasn't just as broken as MCC was. Battlefield 4 and Destiny are the two that I had first-hand experience with. They were absolutely shattered at first.

To summarize: I'm going to buy the Halo 5 Limited Collector's Edition the day it comes out because I have loved every Halo game so far, including the H5 beta. I'm not going to listen to some stuck-up Youtube kid who's mad about having to occasionally play Halo 4 when he's in a cross-game playlist, or something else equally ridiculous.

A colossal failure isn't necessarily subjective by all means. If you looked at halo 4, the game made a lot of money, about 2-300 million dollars. In return however, the game suffered a high population drop within the 1st few months of launch. That's pathetic considering that halo 3 managed to be one of the top playing games on xbl, even a year after launch. That is short term thinking on 343's part to create a game that will sell the most while not maintaining its longevity.

The update for april which includes ranking systems and penalizing quitting is not gonna help tmcc by any means, For one, the population is too low for there to be an efficient way of separating the weak from the strong because there isn't a big enough pool of players, which would make mm more inconsistent. This leads to the next problem; creating penalties for quitting is not the way to go. That issue is major, however the path 343 wants to take is not the way to go because with low populations, there's a bigger chance of being in an unfair match. How would you feel if you were penalized for quitting a game in which you either couldn't even be loaded into, or that the balancing of each team was so bad that you couldn't play?

Bf4 and destiny may have been as broken as mcc (which I highly doubt on your part), but the difference is how long it took to be back at full swing. Bf4 took 6-7 months while destiny only took a couple of weeks. Not to mention that they never had the same issues as mcc at launch. It took 3 plus months for the mcc to be back at full swing, but the damage has already been done. Low populations will discourage any more permanent playlists made to halo mcc, and with the full long list of playlists that were to be included within the game at launch, its very disappointing.

Your preorder may be justified a little bit considering that you're ordering a limited addition of halo 5. Nonetheless, your preorder for halo 5 implies that you don't care about the quality of the game before it even launches, not to mention that you're allowing 343 to get away with the mess they created for tmcc. If you can't realize that, prepare for bigger messes than halo mcc because other companies may now look at this situation and think "If they can get away with it, I can get away with it too." Lastly, your impression of bdobbins shows your absolute ignorance of his standing with these issues.
I already talked about how the population drop can't be considered concrete evidence of Halo 4's "failure", so I won't waste the time to talk about it again. I'll just reiterate this bit: If it sold well and was enjoyed by many people, I don't see how that can be considered a colossal failure from an objective standpoint. That means that it can subjectively be considered a colossal failure, but - by definition - subjectivity is not factual.

Every Halo game has had quitting/betrayal penalties, so I don't see why MCC should be any different. They haven't described what the penalties will be like yet, so it's way too early to complain about them. Maybe the quit penalties will be like Reach, where it would only start to penalize you if you quit too many games in a short amount of time. If you're quitting that many games, odds are you deserve to be penalized.

I don't understand what you doubt. Battlefield 4 was unplayable for the first ~6 months (horrendous lag, game crashes, not being able to find an occupied lobby), you said so yourself. Destiny was equally unplayable (constant kicks to main menu, lag, game crashes), but they did get their issues sorted out within the first month.

I played the Halo 5 Beta, and I had more fun playing it than I have had playing Halo in a long time. I really enjoyed the small portion of gameplay that was showcased in the beta, so I can safely assume that I will enjoy the final game just as much. MCC works now, so I don't feel bad about having Halo 5 preordered. If it was in the same condition as it was in the first few months, I would probably be holding off. The Halo 5 beta worked just fine (better than MCC did at the time), so I'm confident that the full game will work similarly well. And even if it doesn't at first, that has been the case with most releases lately anyway. Pretty much every multiplayer experience has had a really rocky start on the Xbox One, and they've all been fixed. I'm okay with waiting for the kinks to be worked out, because I know they will be.

Not to mention the fact that Halo 5 is one game, whereas MCC is 4 games (5, if you split H2C and H2A) all running on individual original servers. The MCC was an overly ambitious project, especially as the first project from 343 for the Xbox One. Halo 5 will be one game with one multiplayer experience, and they've had the MCC to learn from.

Finally, I have no idea who "bdobbins" is, but I don't appreciate being insulted because I want to buy a game I like. I never said you had to buy it, I just said that I will. I'm not sending any kind of message to anyone, I'm keeping up with a universe that I love. If that's hard for you to wrap your head around, I really don't know why you're on these forums.
L377UC3 wrote:
Renyoudie wrote:

Disgusting.

In the rainbow factory. Where fears and horrors come true.
L377UC3 wrote:
Baron Kit wrote:
You can do whatever you want my friend with your money and I don't see why people think that pre ordering a game equals a broken game on day one I pre order games to help pay it off sooner when I have the money then paying it off later when I don't have the money.

Companies don't even check pre orders before launch, and to my knowledge don't even get the money until release. It's the same logic as the 343i is MS BS which is 100% false.

They were created by Micro$haft for the specific purpose of carrying the Halo torch, but that doesn't mean that they are MS. Whether all of the 343 members are/were MS employees or not is of little consequence, because now they're 343. If they were MS, they would just call themselves that.
Not only this but to say MS is 343i is to say Dice is EA and Bungie is acti. That is just not how it works. But y'know I've found if you just shout Non-sense as such people just accept it.
L377UC3 wrote:
Renyoudie wrote:

Disgusting.

They are right though, a lot of all this is just no logic speaking.
L377UC3 wrote:
Baron Kit wrote:

Ok, then let me ask you this: if you saw people were pissed back in the day about the policies of the Xbox one before launch, including requiring a constant internet connection to play any games, did you try to settle them down by saying "Stop talking crap about the people that made the xbone because Microsoft made them do that and it's all their fault?" No you did not because people would think you're an idiot. This screw up of tmcc may have mostly been caused by Microsoft, but you gain nothing from trying to defend a bunch of strangers' reputations. This issue about is nothing personal but you make it one, even though the main problem at hand is one company selling a faulty product to the consumer. To spend any more time separating 343 from Microsoft and Microsoft itself is illogical. Also the only reason 343 would probably not refer themselves as ms is so that their PR doesn't take a hit, given the notorious reputation Microsoft has gained.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5