Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] #iWillNotBuyHalo5

OP VigorosoImp6266

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. ...
  8. 11
Krom088 wrote:
I knew there was a lot of backlash and I only really skimmed the larger article you linked but I for one am excited for the future of Halo and here's a very brief summary why:

Bungie was right to start pushing the game forward. If there were no sprint, armor abilities, etc. in Halo then it would feel dated fast. Call it the Resident Evil effect. I LOVED the RE series but there's just no reason to keep the "stop to shoot" mechanic given what consoles are capable of. It feels out of place today. Had they not pushed it forward and added abilities I feel Bungie/343 would have gotten hammered for doing the same old thing. Which leads to another point.

Like it or not, I think 343 has to pick a direction and run with it. With 4 (affectionately referred to as "Quatro") there was too much waffling in terms of post game updates. The game shipped and appealed to one group but through updates they tried reaching the long term/old school group and in the end both groups were left with the taste of meh in their mouthes. They (and no game developer) can please everyone so they need to pick a vision and run with it. Some will like it, some won't and both responses are ok.

Granted, my view may be skewed because I bought an original Xbox just for Halo and have been with both brands ever since. However, I came to the MP party much later. I started to dabble in 2 but I. WAS. AWFUL. So I didn't sink the time in to improve, instead I played campaign and then moved on. By Halo 3, I found a group of guys who were like myself (dads who gamed when they could) and started to play more MP and less campaign. By Halo: Reach and Halo 4, I was looking forward to the MP the most and became at least a push player (1.0 K/D ratio). So with that said, I have a lot less connection to the more "classic" gameplay style and that might be a major reason for liking the direction it has taken.

Question for you all who aren't going to buy it: If you don't want them to move the game forward through adding what are becoming standard features (sprint, ADS) how would you have them evolve?

Thanks for your post. I don't have time to give you a long and detailled answer, but I would have solved the sluggish feel with a base speed increase and with a FoV increase, which would have been as effective as sprint, without being game changing. Smart Link did not need to be changed so I would have certainly not introduced ADS. Thruster would have been welcome without sprint, maybe with a slight tweak.
nailed it
I knew there was a lot of backlash and I only really skimmed the larger article you linked but I for one am excited for the future of Halo and here's a very brief summary why:

Bungie was right to start pushing the game forward. If there were no sprint, armor abilities, etc. in Halo then it would feel dated fast. Call it the Resident Evil effect. I LOVED the RE series but there's just no reason to keep the "stop to shoot" mechanic given what consoles are capable of. It feels out of place today. Had they not pushed it forward and added abilities I feel Bungie/343 would have gotten hammered for doing the same old thing. Which leads to another point.

Like it or not, I think 343 has to pick a direction and run with it. With 4 (affectionately referred to as "Quatro") there was too much waffling in terms of post game updates. The game shipped and appealed to one group but through updates they tried reaching the long term/old school group and in the end both groups were left with the taste of meh in their mouthes. They (and no game developer) can please everyone so they need to pick a vision and run with it. Some will like it, some won't and both responses are ok.

Granted, my view may be skewed because I bought an original Xbox just for Halo and have been with both brands ever since. However, I came to the MP party much later. I started to dabble in 2 but I. WAS. AWFUL. So I didn't sink the time in to improve, instead I played campaign and then moved on. By Halo 3, I found a group of guys who were like myself (dads who gamed when they could) and started to play more MP and less campaign. By Halo: Reach and Halo 4, I was looking forward to the MP the most and became at least a push player (1.0 K/D ratio). So with that said, I have a lot less connection to the more "classic" gameplay style and that might be a major reason for liking the direction it has taken.

Question for you all who aren't going to buy it: If you don't want them to move the game forward through adding what are becoming standard features (sprint, ADS) how would you have them evolve?
Gametypes in MP and the readdition of firefight. New weapons won't hurt. GOOD MP MAPS, it seems 343 doesn't know how to create an action packed symmetrical map like bungie did. Easily the #1 reason I hated h4.

snip

Gametypes in MP and the readdition of firefight. New weapons won't hurt. GOOD MP MAPS, it seems 343 doesn't know how to create an action packed symmetrical map like bungie did. Easily the #1 reason I hated h4.
Yes, new gametypes are welcome. I think Ricochet and Dominion were nice additions.
I knew there was a lot of backlash and I only really skimmed the larger article you linked but I for one am excited for the future of Halo and here's a very brief summary why:

Bungie was right to start pushing the game forward. If there were no sprint, armor abilities, etc. in Halo then it would feel dated fast. Call it the Resident Evil effect. I LOVED the RE series but there's just no reason to keep the "stop to shoot" mechanic given what consoles are capable of. It feels out of place today. Had they not pushed it forward and added abilities I feel Bungie/343 would have gotten hammered for doing the same old thing. Which leads to another point.

Like it or not, I think 343 has to pick a direction and run with it. With 4 (affectionately referred to as "Quatro") there was too much waffling in terms of post game updates. The game shipped and appealed to one group but through updates they tried reaching the long term/old school group and in the end both groups were left with the taste of meh in their mouthes. They (and no game developer) can please everyone so they need to pick a vision and run with it. Some will like it, some won't and both responses are ok.

Granted, my view may be skewed because I bought an original Xbox just for Halo and have been with both brands ever since. However, I came to the MP party much later. I started to dabble in 2 but I. WAS. AWFUL. So I didn't sink the time in to improve, instead I played campaign and then moved on. By Halo 3, I found a group of guys who were like myself (dads who gamed when they could) and started to play more MP and less campaign. By Halo: Reach and Halo 4, I was looking forward to the MP the most and became at least a push player (1.0 K/D ratio). So with that said, I have a lot less connection to the more "classic" gameplay style and that might be a major reason for liking the direction it has taken.

Question for you all who aren't going to buy it: If you don't want them to move the game forward through adding what are becoming standard features (sprint, ADS) how would you have them evolve?

I would like a game that is Halo 3 with sprint, new weapons, new maps and a new story. I would like them to polish the stuff in Halo 3 and make them more perfect then they already is. Evolving does not everytime mean we need to put a bunch of new stuff and redesign everything just because we can. Look att COD. It is basically the same game every year with a reskinned. I am not a huge fan of COD but I like the idea of if it's not broken, then dont fix it. Halo have never before felt so much as cod does gameplay wise as it have before. But COD still feels like mw2 after all this years. But halo does not feel like halo.
this. CoD is the same game re-skinned. Halo 3 added new mechanics and options, but kept the core gameplay very much the same. CoD is just CoD every year. Halo 3 had so many elements that made it good and 343 is refusing to use what made Halo great in the past and still insists upon lifting things from other games, but attempting to out the Halo twist on it and call it an evolution. They at least made it more Halo for Halo 5, but it still doesn't play like the old Halos. I don't care if they add the new things im not afraid of change, but some of these things aren't changed correctly. A headshot capable AR is not an evolution Bungie would have dared done. You got fully auto fire for the penalty of wider shot grouping and no chance for head shots. 343 gave you a smart scope to increase range and tighten spread, higher damage and a chance to randomly instantly kill an unshielded opponent by popping a lucky headshot.
Assassin 9 wrote:
I'm glad that a lot of the players who can't handle the added speed and other changes wont be buying the game.

I've been checking out the forums for a while and it seems pretty clear that the community itself is kind of a problem. It would be good to see some of these folk go.

It's too bad but I guess these types are in every gaming community, they've vocal and they like to pretend that their opinions are everybody's opinions.

I like the changes, I like progress. Halo needs to change to remain relevant.


I would not agree with you. Just because the majority of the forum post are negative about Halo 5 it does not mean the forum users have the wrong opinion. If the majority of the users are saying 343i are having a hard time pleasing them then it can be so that you are the minority.

The thing is, people generally do not go and hit up forums to post they are happy with something. Same with surveys. Generally speaking, it's those that have a problem with something that go out of there way to make sure others hear about it. That's just how it is.

As for this notion of a minority or majority... the only group the vocal people represent are the group of vocal people. There is nothing more to that than that. They do not reflect the feelings of "users" as a whole, nor do they reflect the feelings of the Halo community as a whole. They reflect the feelings of that speak out, and while they may be the majority of that group, that's all they are.
It is true to some extent what you are saying. But we have alos take in count that it did not go so well for Halo 4 after realise. After 3 months the population dropped drastically and more and more hate post started to come. 343i has now for Halo 5 tried to listen to the forums and fans so it will not happen the same thing all over with Halo 5. But I cant see that 343i are understanding what we want, and 343i have a feeling of must to change everything in the game so it will be as closely as possible 100% there game and not bungie's legacy. And I feel it like a lack of respect for the halo franchise
Benti86 wrote:
I knew there was a lot of backlash and I only really skimmed the larger article you linked but I for one am excited for the future of Halo and here's a very brief summary why:

Bungie was right to start pushing the game forward. If there were no sprint, armor abilities, etc. in Halo then it would feel dated fast. Call it the Resident Evil effect. I LOVED the RE series but there's just no reason to keep the "stop to shoot" mechanic given what consoles are capable of. It feels out of place today. Had they not pushed it forward and added abilities I feel Bungie/343 would have gotten hammered for doing the same old thing. Which leads to another point.

Like it or not, I think 343 has to pick a direction and run with it. With 4 (affectionately referred to as "Quatro") there was too much waffling in terms of post game updates. The game shipped and appealed to one group but through updates they tried reaching the long term/old school group and in the end both groups were left with the taste of meh in their mouthes. They (and no game developer) can please everyone so they need to pick a vision and run with it. Some will like it, some won't and both responses are ok.

Granted, my view may be skewed because I bought an original Xbox just for Halo and have been with both brands ever since. However, I came to the MP party much later. I started to dabble in 2 but I. WAS. AWFUL. So I didn't sink the time in to improve, instead I played campaign and then moved on. By Halo 3, I found a group of guys who were like myself (dads who gamed when they could) and started to play more MP and less campaign. By Halo: Reach and Halo 4, I was looking forward to the MP the most and became at least a push player (1.0 K/D ratio). So with that said, I have a lot less connection to the more "classic" gameplay style and that might be a major reason for liking the direction it has taken.

Question for you all who aren't going to buy it: If you don't want them to move the game forward through adding what are becoming standard features (sprint, ADS) how would you have them evolve?


I would like a game that is Halo 3 with sprint, new weapons, new maps and a new story. I would like them to polish the stuff in Halo 3 and make them more perfect then they already is. Evolving does not everytime mean we need to put a bunch of new stuff and redesign everything just because we can. Look att COD. It is basically the same game every year with a reskinned. I am not a huge fan of COD but I like the idea of if it's not broken, then dont fix it. Halo have never before felt so much as cod does gameplay wise as it have before. But COD still feels like mw2 after all this years. But halo does not feel like halo.

this. CoD is the same game re-skinned. Halo 3 added new mechanics and options, but kept the core gameplay very much the same. CoD is just CoD every year. Halo 3 had so many elements that made it good and 343 is refusing to use what made Halo great in the past and still insists upon lifting things from other games, but attempting to out the Halo twist on it and call it an evolution. They at least made it more Halo for Halo 5, but it still doesn't play like the old Halos. I don't care if they add the new things im not afraid of change, but some of these things aren't changed correctly. A headshot capable AR is not an evolution Bungie would have dared done. You got fully auto fire for the penalty of wider shot grouping and no chance for head shots. 343 gave you a smart scope to increase range and tighten spread, higher damage and a chance to randomly instantly kill an unshielded opponent by popping a lucky headshot.
Good respond. I would also like to have firefight back, maby new vehicles and maybe some new game modes. I forgot to add that to the post.
I'm glad that a lot of the players who can't handle the added speed and other changes wont be buying the game.

I've been checking out the forums for a while and it seems pretty clear that the community itself is kind of a problem. It would be good to see some of these folk go.

It's too bad but I guess these types are in every gaming community, they've vocal and they like to pretend that their opinions are everybody's opinions.

I like the changes, I like progress. Halo needs to change to remain relevant.


Lol change has damaged halo after halo 3 FACT. Population decline is Clear Evidence. Unless you have some other reason why the population dropped


Yes, I would like to hear how the ones saying nothing is wrong with halo explain that evidens.
Well that's the problem.

Change is a factor for sure, but the problem is there are a ton of factors. A ton of different things that happened that make it extremely tough (if not impossible) to declare the single reason why Halo 3 did as well as it did and future Halo games didn't do as well.

Halo 3 came out in 2007 and the console FPS competition at that time was very different than it is today. In fact, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare didn't exist until over a month later (and we all know how insane that franchise grew into).

As for Halo Reach and Halo 4, times were very different for each of those games as well. Halo Reach came out in 2010 and Halo 4 came out in 2012. Both of those years had very strong Call of Duty releases (both Black Ops games - which COD players apparently revere), and in-turn, the FPS console space was very different than it was in 2007. Plus if you add in general market competition, the buying habits of gamers in both 2010 and 2012 (recessions all around the world, especially in the United States), pre-order numbers, marketing, etc., I'm not sure saying a blanket statement of "change" as the reason would be accurate.

This post has been hidden.

0
Don't kid yourself.

The content of your post: 'I hate H5 and 343i. Let's make some noise!'

Go back and read what I wrote and please read the post I am referring to in the link.
I did. I even responded to the post you linked in length yet got completely ignored to this very day.

Do you actually think that linking to someone elses post does make your thread any better?

I reported your thread the moment I saw it as it was obvious that it would create nothing more than hate from both sides. Congrats for making this an even more hostile place than it already is.
Your opinion is wrong - fact.

Nah, to each their own. Me? Personally, I am having a blast with the beta, managed to convince friends that haven't played solid since h3 to have a go. Happy days :D
Ezekie1 wrote:
Your opinion is wrong - fact.

Nah, to each their own. Me? Personally, I am having a blast with the beta, managed to convince friends that haven't played solid since h3 to have a go. Happy days :D
Good that Halo 5 are making some people happy anyways ^^
Don't kid yourself.

The content of your post: 'I hate H5 and 343i. Let's make some noise!'


Go back and read what I wrote and please read the post I am referring to in the link.

I did. I even responded to the post you linked in length yet got completely ignored to this very day.

Do you actually think that linking to someone elses post does make your thread any better?

I reported your thread the moment I saw it as it was obvious that it would create nothing more than hate from both sides. Congrats for making this an even more hostile place than it already is.
A forum is for people to make a debate about something. You reporting my thread shows just that some few people are offended because others does not share their opinions. If you can argue for your cause please do so. But try to have it on a nice level :)
noone cares if you are not gonna buy it, not like anyonr is gonna go, hey he isnt buying so i wont either! just not buy it(even though chances are you will) and keep it to yourself bc you look like an arrogant jerk atm
I agree... I will not buy H5. I will not give 343 anymore money to put toward ruining the halo franchise.
I agree... I will not buy H5. I will not give 343 anymore money to put toward ruining the halo franchise.
serious question, what if bungie did these exact changes, would you say the same?
TinBore wrote:
TinBore wrote:
Hoping halo 5 flops so that 343 can simply see what they've done to this franchise


I thought I would never agree whit a person like you saying that a Halo game should flopp, but times have apparently changed. I must say that Bungie did a small mistake with Halo Reach but 343i did not make anything to correct that mistake. Instead they gave it more fuel so it could grow.

Same, but its so sad to see how 343 is handling halo. In the past I absolutely ignored and despised such a comment like what i made. But now...idk I'm just so depressed.
Same. Never thought I'd say or think that about Halo... but I'm with you.
I agree... I will not buy H5. I will not give 343 anymore money to put toward ruining the halo franchise.


serious question, what if bungie did these exact changes, would you say the same?
Is it that hard to understand that we don't enjoy the multiplayer as it plays now, be it made by 343, Bungie, Rockstar or whatever? The issue is how the gameplay deviates, not who introduces that changes. There were serious backlash for Reach if you remember.
Haha, When the Halo Reach beta came out, 5 of my friends played it and declared that they would not be buying the game…. But guess what?! They all bought it on day one! Same thing happened with Halo 4 after seeing what that was going to be like. Truth is, Halo 5 will be a good game in most areas, regardless of how many people think they're high profile enough to think everyone cares whether or not they buy the game.

Everyone who publicly announces "I will not be buying Halo 5," …….Think about it. You sound like an immature child. "I don't get exactly what I want, so I'm not even going to bother." Good… whiney child won't be playing the game!

If you take the time to post on an Official Halo site forum, there's no way you're NOT going to try the game

This post has been hidden.

0
BubbaKev24 wrote:
Haha, When the Halo Reach beta came out, 5 of my friends played it and declared that they would not be buying the game…. But guess what?! They all bought it on day one! Same thing happened with Halo 4 after seeing what that was going to be like. Truth is, Halo 5 will be a good game in most areas, regardless of how many people think they're high profile enough to think everyone cares whether or not they buy the game.

Everyone who publicly announces "I will not be buying Halo 5," …….Think about it. You sound like an immature child. "I don't get exactly what I want, so I'm not even going to bother." Good… whiney child won't be playing the game!

If you take the time to post on an Official Halo site forum, there's no way you're NOT going to try the game
I only speak for myself here, but I'm definitely buying this game since I know I'll have to try the campaign. But I will buy it used, kind of a contestation buy I guess. And the difference with what happened with your friends is that, precisely, this time, we have already experienced what happened with Halo Reach and Halo 4.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. ...
  8. 11