Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Joining games in progress

OP Samba The King

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Joining games in progress is utter bull

I get that its rubbish when your teammate has quit, but you know what is worse than ruining 3 peoples games ? Ruining 4 peoples' games. It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that most of the people that quit will have been on the losing team (not always but the vast majority). Who wants to be dumped into an unwinnable game when your team have been shafted and the other team have all the power weapons ?

Either turn it off or give people the option to opt out - most will opt out I assume (proving that no-one likes it), but this is better than forcing JIP on everyone.

I never used to quit matches, but I now quit immediately if I see that I have been forced into JIP
Sometimes in a blue moon, you can join a losing match-in-progress and still make a huge comeback, even if your teammates aren't particularly great.
I sometimes join losing matches, sadly I just live with it, either you quit or you don't. Though if you do you face a temporary ban, so it's not advised you do so.
Got jip'd into two back to back terrible matches yesterday, but I took the whippin like an honorable spartan. Quitting perpetuates the problem, and I don't want to have someone put into a JIP position, because of selfishness. Report the quitter(s) and go on the next game. As bad as JIP is 6 v 12 or even 8 v 12 is no fun either as I experienced the latter this weekend in WZT with JIP disabled.

I get that its rubbish when your teammate has quit, but you know what is worse than ruining 3 peoples games ? Ruining 4 peoples' games. It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that most of the people that quit will have been on the losing team (not always but the vast majority). Who wants to be dumped into an unwinnable game when your team have been shafted and the other team have all the power weapons ?

Either turn it off or give people the option to opt out - most will opt out I assume (proving that no-one likes it), but this is better than forcing JIP on everyone.

I never used to quit matches, but I now quit immediately if I see that I have been forced into JIP
Unfortunately allowing people to choose when to join a game in progress defeats the purpose of JIP to begin with.

If people have the choice to not JIP, everyone will choose to not JIP, because who wants to willingly join a losing game? Games will be more lopsided and quicker, teams with lower amounts of players will be less likely to gain more players.

What should happen is for the system to understand when a game is beyond the "point of no return", such as via time limit or score limit, and turn itself off in those matches. Not every JIP'd game is unwinnable.

Unfortunately allowing people to choose when to join a game in progress defeats the purpose of JIP to begin with.

If people have the choice to not JIP, everyone will choose to not JIP, because who wants to willingly join a losing game? Games will be more lopsided and quicker, teams with lower amounts of players will be less likely to gain more players.

What should happen is for the system to understand when a game is beyond the "point of no return", such as via time limit or score limit, and turn itself off in those matches. Not every JIP'd game is unwinnable.
If everyone were to turn it off does that not say something about JIP ? Defeating the purpose of JIP is fine by me, I'd be happy for it to disappear altogether. Quitting can and should be tackled in different ways, no via JIP (punishing the player subbed into an unfair game).

Your point about the time limit and point of no return is valid though, but I would suggest that the threshold of 'point of no return' be quite low (i.e < 20% of the objective achieved/time limit)

Not every JIP is unwinnable, but a considerable amount are heavily unfair. I've been subbed into games where I've barely seen an enemy before the game has finished as a defeat.
-Yoink- JIP. I quit out of JIP games immediately. One of the main reason I will never be buying another 343 game. Too many times I have loaded into a game just to see the final death or two, just to hear "game over, defeat!" -Yoink- that. JIP can suck my -Yoink-.
If someone leaves the game that should put an open slot for the person who is in Joining a Match in progress. But nope you just wait for how ever long the games wants to take, which is a pretty long time honestly.
I can't stand join-in-progress. I didn't want it before and I don't want it now. If I could, I would filter to search for new matches only.
-Yoink- JIP. I quit out of JIP games immediately. One of the main reason I will never be buying another 343 game. Too many times I have loaded into a game just to see the final death or two, just to hear "game over, defeat!" -Yoink- that. JIP can suck my -Yoink-.
We wont miss you.
Well you can usually tell if you are about to JIP if the background image of the playlist does not change to that of the map (also if you do not experience a countdown to match start)…
Well you can usually tell if you are about to JIP if the background image of the playlist does not change to that of the map (also if you do not experience a countdown to match start)…
Yeah you can tell but that doesn't help...
Yep, I really wish there were an option to toggle whether or not you're willing to JIP. Now someone then says to me "Well no one would choose to leave it toggled yes if that were so" - but I'm not sure if that's true. There are actually some folks who don't care, I've talked to them before. That's fine if they don't seem to mind.
Joining in progress sucks but it is a necessity. If a team is down 4 players, there needs to be some form of intervention.
Then dashboard if so inclined (but not encouraged)…

Though, 343 could enforce a timeout for every game a player will quit out of.

However my best idea, 343 could implement a system that demands of REQ points compensation for quitting out of a game, and the more they quit out in a given period, the higher each following fees will be. Those particular players that quit out due to the intervention of life will only pay that initial fee, but to those certain many that quit out routinely whatever their many excuses will be penalized with heavier fees accordingly.

I believe my second idea will successfully discourage quits to a significant degree, when players' money (REQ points) get involved! :D

If everyone were to turn it off does that not say something about JIP ? Defeating the purpose of JIP is fine by me, I'd be happy for it to disappear altogether. Quitting can and should be tackled in different ways, no via JIP (punishing the player subbed into an unfair game).

Your point about the time limit and point of no return is valid though, but I would suggest that the threshold of 'point of no return' be quite low (i.e < 20% of the objective achieved/time limit)

Not every JIP is unwinnable, but a considerable amount are heavily unfair. I've been subbed into games where I've barely seen an enemy before the game has finished as a defeat.
Yeah, it means people would rather have lopsided games and complain about quitters over looking for a solution to have balanced games to begin with.

Look at Warzone Turbo last weekend. Removed JiP, now games rarely ended with a full fireteam, making the problem worse and is why JIP existed in the first place.

However my best idea, 343 could implement a system that demands of REQ points compensation for quitting out of a game, and the more they quit out in a given period, the higher each following fees will be. Those particular players that quit out due to the intervention of life will only pay that initial fee, but to those certain many that quit out routinely whatever their many excuses will be penalized with heavier fees accordingly.

I believe my second idea will successfully discourage quits to a significant degree, when players' money (REQ points) get involved! :D
Quitting sucks, but sometimes there are things that can't be controlled (like dinner) that force you to quit, and I don't think it would be fair to tax those who did not quit intentionally.
My win rate as a solo would be a 62%, I win a good 75% of game that start from scratch but JiPs cause me to lose so much my win rate is 54.6% far below what I'm actually capable of, warzone by the way.
How do I dashboard games I know I'm JiP without incurring a DNF, I mean I never saw myself in that game so I have no idea who I played with and what map I'm on, I have to goto to Halo Waypoint to find out.
I shouldn't have to win warzone firefight heroic to compensate for every unwinnable JiP game. I play from Melbourne Australia and the only way I get in is Expanded and every time I finish, I have to leave the lobby and requeue. Before the Firefight update, I could do Balance and stay in the Lobby.
Agreed. Jip is terrible. I dont see it going anywhere though

Quitting sucks, but sometimes there are things that can't be controlled (like dinner) that force you to quit, and I don't think it would be fair to tax those who did not quit intentionally.
They shouldn't have started a game so soon right before dinner; knowing they might not have enough time to finish it; they really should just wait and occupy their time otherwise until after dinner.

And if they don't quit out repeatedly, like many others do on a consistent basis, they will not have to pay the grossly larger fee; like the other group will have to on top of each game they quit in a given period.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2