Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Keep getting South American Players

OP Tetsjin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Can anyone explain to me why I keep getting matched up against Mexican and South American players?

I search focused to get the players closest to me but I just get South Americans and Mexicans. As EU players we've had to put up with the North American hosts and servers over the years but this is even worse, they might aswell be on the moon.

On a related note - the search preferences that we fought for early in halo 5's release have helped a lot but are not perfect, if anyone from 343 ever sees this, please let us choose who we play. I want to play on EU servers against EU players, on a decent ping. If I have to wait 10 mins for a match, I'll wait 10 mins for a match, it's better than 3 frustrating matches against a team of immortals. Other games have managed this for years.
That really sucks. Hopefully it gets addressed and fixed for you guys.
that kind of filter is only for the rank, not countries, I think
Can anyone explain to me why I keep getting matched up against Mexican and South American players?

Perhaps because there are more of them playing at the time?

I search focused to get the players closest to me but I just get South Americans and Mexicans.

I think (but I could be wrong) focused is more to do with your level then where you are.

Unless you are trying to chat with them I really don't see its a big deal who we get matched up with.
Tetsjin wrote:

I search focused to get the players closest to me but I just get South Americans and Mexicans. As EU players we've had to put up with the North American hosts and servers over the years but this is even worse, they might aswell be on the moon.

On a related note - the search preferences that we fought for early in halo 5's release have helped a lot but are not perfect, if anyone from 343 ever sees this, please let us choose who we play. I want to play on EU servers against EU players, on a decent ping. If I have to wait 10 mins for a match, I'll wait 10 mins for a match, it's better than 3 frustrating matches against a team of immortals. Other games have managed this for years.
How do you even find games on focused in EU? I'm a northern EU player and I've had to play on expanded for like a year on every other playlist other than HCS/Team Arena, but that seems to be changing too now. Sometimes I get 'unable to match' even when playing at an optimal time of day on expanded even in a supposedly popular playlist like BTB super fiesta.
I live on the west coast US and get the same. I guess south america has a bigger population playing Halo. The thing that gets annoying is a bunch of them have pretty bad internet connections and it drags down the game (lag). Not to mention I don't speak spanish and everyone of them uses mics. (kids screaming, etc.)
It would be nice if the mute all button worked.
I've always wondered after playing some Crysis why not every game that has online competitive play, like COD or Halo, allows you to actually choose what region of players you actually want to play with. I don't like lag so I would obviously select NA but never understood, after all these years, no one else has tried going that route. Where the players can actually choose who they want to be matched up against.
I hate the Mexican lag too. Only reason they are half-decent
Try playing from Australia we have no choice as the population has dwindled everyone is on the moon and a ping below 250 is all we can hope for usually between 1-2 shots behind but occasionally 3 it makes it hard in ranked
That honestly sucks to hear that so many of you are having this problem. I live in the U.S. so I typically match against people here. But, I have had to play a good amount of people from Mexico and the lag is very noticeable.
Op those search preferences only work when the population is healthy.. That's why they worked for you early on.. Searching Focus does not guarantee a server closest to you. Josh explained this awhile back in the matchmaking feedback section how the search preferences work.. After a certain amount of time searching it begins to expand outward to find the next best server and similar rank. It keeps doing this until you finally find a game.. I asked Josh something similar about what server we get.. His reply was we put you on the closest server when we can.. I get where your coming from but there isn't much one can do at this point.. Ideally lets hope the next Halo has server selection. This really would benefit just about everyone..

If you really cant wait for the next game to come out buy a Netduma. That router has a geo filter in it and gives you control on what server you connect too. But just a warning be prepared to wait sometime to find a game! Good luck!
Yeah I'm in the US and I've been getting a lot of Mexico as well. Maybe that's who is playing now lol
JC00795 AU wrote:
Try playing from Australia we have no choice as the population has dwindled everyone is on the moon and a ping below 250 is all we can hope for usually between 1-2 shots behind but occasionally 3 it makes it hard in ranked
Haven't played ranked since the games release for this reason. Even social is pretty bad. I've had to become a BTB vehicle noob to stay alive for any reasonable amount of time without dying because of invincible enemies or getting sniped through walls.
JC00795 AU wrote:
Haven't played ranked since the games release for this reason. Even social is pretty bad. I've had to become a BTB vehicle noob to stay alive for any reasonable amount of time without dying because of invincible enemies or getting sniped through walls.
I hear you seems like it takes 30s to kill an enemy that you perfect however you die in 1
BxRAD R wrote:
Can confirm.
xt0rted wrote:
BxRAD R wrote:
Can confirm.
gotta love how their shots always register too
BxRAD R wrote:
xt0rted wrote:
BxRAD R wrote:
Can confirm.
gotta love how their shots always register too
OH yeah and their shotguns are miles longer range than ours
Tetsjin wrote:

What? Did they say they were South American or Mexican? They could be North American and speak Spanish a lot of people do. I met a guy who speaks Spanish and did I say oh you're a Mexican nope. I asked where he lived and he lived in the States. How do you know where they live do you assume?
Rxcluze wrote:
Tetsjin wrote:

What? Did they say they were South American or Mexican? They could be North American and speak Spanish a lot of people do. I met a guy who speaks Spanish and did I say oh you're a Mexican nope. I asked where he lived and he lived in the States. How do you know where they live do you assume?
He is a EU player and could most likely be getting both.. There is one server in South Brazil.. And there is also a server in South Central Texas.. My guess is he is being put on one of those servers.. As a US player I do notice this when I play on the Texas server. Never ventured any farther south..
Rxcluze wrote:
Tetsjin wrote:

If they're lagging AF, they're probably from south of the states. Europe, Canada, and Australia all have decent wifi and connect to the servers well; Central and South America, not so much.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2