Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Latency is ruining the game!

OP q Unsung Hero p

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Foghammer wrote:
I'm seeing similar things happen here in the US, though...

People blinking in and out of existence (active camo doesn't work on Ghosts, right?), grenades being thrown on a delay (this one is weird, because when the lag is bad enough, I can watch myself throw the grenade) and sometimes not exploding at all), and then there are people who appear to be "invincible" (shot at by several teammates for long sprints, walking through splinter grenades unharmed, etc). I still manage to play at my usual level, but I feel like there are a lot of times lately that I've been cheated by some glitch in the system -- or at least the way it appears on MY screen, it feels like I'm being cheated.
Yeah, I have heard US players say this why I believe this would benefit all players. Eastcoast players do not necesarily want to connect to a westcoast server and vice versa.
I only live 600 miles from Seattle and i still experience some of these problems.
Foghammer wrote:
I'm seeing similar things happen here in the US, though...

People blinking in and out of existence (active camo doesn't work on Ghosts, right?), grenades being thrown on a delay (this one is weird, because when the lag is bad enough, I can watch myself throw the grenade) and sometimes not exploding at all), and then there are people who appear to be "invincible" (shot at by several teammates for long sprints, walking through splinter grenades unharmed, etc). I still manage to play at my usual level, but I feel like there are a lot of times lately that I've been cheated by some glitch in the system -- or at least the way it appears on MY screen, it feels like I'm being cheated.
Yeah, I have heard US players say this why I believe this would benefit all players. Eastcoast players do not necesarily want to connect to a westcoast server and vice versa.
I only live 600 miles from Seattle and i still experience some of these problems.
Yeah but the xbl main servers in Seattle is not where you connect for Halo 5 games. There are server clusters in various places in the US ranging from west, mid to east. And occasionally you may connect to a EU server which is gonna suck for you. I am assuming you do not connect to asian or pacific servers though.

Everyone would benefit from being able to chose to which servers to connect. But 343 are too keen on their global ranking system and providing the fastets possible matchmaking experience. I prefer to be able to chose what I want to prioritize.
Im in the US and have been having a lot of issues with this as well. And just the other night while playing H5 others started asking why this game is so hit and miss. Its like we are not being "synced up" properly with other players. By the time the night was over many said they were experiencing this very same thing. So its not just people across the pond. The latency on H5 is the worst ive seen on any game ive ever owned. Its a shame too because I do believe the game would be awesome to play. The frustration is building with many players. Im hearing more and more of this each time I play this. Some of course are really losing it too!! LOL. You can easily spot this happening just by looking at the stats at the end of a game. Its not that they had a bad team but more on the fact that they had the short end of the stick from the beginning of the game. Im not at all looking for perfection but some consistency would be nice.
im live in colombia and i really feel a lot of latency playing halo 5, is so unfair.. thanks 343...
Accio Beer wrote:
Are all Xbox games like this online for European players, or is Halo the exception?
Not at all, Titanfall allows us regional server selection, and it gives you the pings to each, Western and Northern Europe are great, the ping is between 29 ms and 49 ms. When you look at the US servers it's about 130 to 200 ms. Population can't be the reason we don't have it either. Titanfall has a very low population, yet it works very well.
Necro bump -
US player, and it's bad, very bad. Shots don't register, yet I get shot once and die. Teleporting Spartans, the whole bit. Very frustrating.
eviltedi wrote:
Accio Beer wrote:
Are all Xbox games like this online for European players, or is Halo the exception?
Not at all, Titanfall allows us regional server selection, and it gives you the pings to each, Western and Northern Europe are great, the ping is between 29 ms and 49 ms. When you look at the US servers it's about 130 to 200 ms. Population can't be the reason we don't have it either. Titanfall has a very low population, yet it works very well.
Because the true game state is actually hosted on the servers. It's my opinion that only warzone is hosted on servers.
Theater mode doesn'tcorrectly portray your reticle dont trust it. However I do agree with you.
AKdave0 wrote:
US player, and it's bad, very bad. Shots don't register, yet I get shot once and die. Teleporting Spartans, the whole bit. Very frustrating.
that will your internet friend. The servers wont cause lag that bad for you especially if you are in the US.
AKdave0 wrote:
US player, and it's bad, very bad. Shots don't register, yet I get shot once and die. Teleporting Spartans, the whole bit. Very frustrating.
that will your internet friend. The servers wont cause lag that bad for you especially if you are in the US.
Your statement is completely untrue. We get lag in the US just like everybody else.
Sorry but if we got region selection we would have same shizz that Gears UE had and that's region hoppers.
Same in Australia and New Zealand bud. We are not connecting to our servers and it sucks playing on US servers with a ridicoulously high latency every game we play.
AKdave0 wrote:
US player, and it's bad, very bad. Shots don't register, yet I get shot once and die. Teleporting Spartans, the whole bit. Very frustrating.
that will your internet friend. The servers wont cause lag that bad for you especially if you are in the US.
Your statement is completely untrue. We get lag in the US just like everybody else.
that is not what I'm pointing out. Even then I know you lag in the US but many people in the US have bad internet. Thats besides the point though because for a server to cause lag with people teleporting around and nothing registering then it would simply shut down or would not happen.
eviltedi wrote:
Accio Beer wrote:
Are all Xbox games like this online for European players, or is Halo the exception?
Not at all, Titanfall allows us regional server selection, and it gives you the pings to each, Western and Northern Europe are great, the ping is between 29 ms and 49 ms. When you look at the US servers it's about 130 to 200 ms. Population can't be the reason we don't have it either. Titanfall has a very low population, yet it works very well.
Because the true game state is actually hosted on the servers. It's my opinion that only warzone is hosted on servers.
Its not a matter of opinion really, its a fact that all games on H5 are hosted on servers in both Arena and Warzone.
Theater mode doesn'tcorrectly portray your reticle dont trust it. However I do agree with you.
I know, but it wasn´t a well known fact at the time when I opened this topic. I didn´t expect anyone to dig up this old thread :) Anyways, despite the theater mode problems, the topic is still relevant and true except you can´t use theater mode to try to correctly display what happened in the game.

Can a mod please close this old thread.
AKdave0 wrote:
US player, and it's bad, very bad. Shots don't register, yet I get shot once and die. Teleporting Spartans, the whole bit. Very frustrating.
that will your internet friend. The servers wont cause lag that bad for you especially if you are in the US.
With a hardline to my modem. 142up/39dn with a 10ms ping. I don't feel I should have this issue. Yet, it happens.
eviltedi wrote:
Accio Beer wrote:
Are all Xbox games like this online for European players, or is Halo the exception?
Not at all, Titanfall allows us regional server selection, and it gives you the pings to each, Western and Northern Europe are great, the ping is between 29 ms and 49 ms. When you look at the US servers it's about 130 to 200 ms. Population can't be the reason we don't have it either. Titanfall has a very low population, yet it works very well.
Because the true game state is actually hosted on the servers. It's my opinion that only warzone is hosted on servers.
Its not a matter of opinion really, its a fact that all games on H5 are hosted on servers in both Arena and Warzone.
No, it's not a fact actually. The true game state could be hosted on an xbox and the "dedicated" servers could just be proxy or listening servers. Only 343/M$ know what's really going on. The evidence doesn't support games hosted on dedis.
AKdave0 wrote:
US player, and it's bad, very bad. Shots don't register, yet I get shot once and die. Teleporting Spartans, the whole bit. Very frustrating.
that will your internet friend. The servers wont cause lag that bad for you especially if you are in the US.
Your statement is completely untrue. We get lag in the US just like everybody else.
that is not what I'm pointing out. Even then I know you lag in the US but many people in the US have bad internet. Thats besides the point though because for a server to cause lag with people teleporting around and nothing registering then it would simply shut down or would not happen.
Again, your statement is not accurate. Several things could cause a server to lag, just look at ARK's servers for examples of laggy servers. The issue I have with your argument is the focus on individual connections. It IS possible that something with the "dedicated" servers or the net code is negatively impacting multi-players games. But, to your point it could also be someone has a poor connection. I think this is less likely actually. Ultimately, I firmly believe that we are not getting an accurate picture of what these "dedicated" servers are doing. The arena games in particular play too much like p2p. I have 28 ms to the California servers, but even though I play on these servers most of the time the game play varies considerably. So either the game state is not actually hosted on dedis or the lag compensation is grossly out of balance.
eviltedi wrote:
Accio Beer wrote:
Are all Xbox games like this online for European players, or is Halo the exception?
Not at all, Titanfall allows us regional server selection, and it gives you the pings to each, Western and Northern Europe are great, the ping is between 29 ms and 49 ms. When you look at the US servers it's about 130 to 200 ms. Population can't be the reason we don't have it either. Titanfall has a very low population, yet it works very well.
Because the true game state is actually hosted on the servers. It's my opinion that only warzone is hosted on servers.
Its not a matter of opinion really, its a fact that all games on H5 are hosted on servers in both Arena and Warzone.
No, it's not a fact actually. The true game state could be hosted on an xbox and the "dedicated" servers could just be proxy or listening servers. Only 343/M$ know what's really going on. The evidence doesn't support games hosted on dedis.
Well, then you know something I don't when you claim there is evidence to support your theory. But then again, you say "only 343/MS know what's really going on" so what you say is circumstances indicate they aren´t truly dedicated servers. Anyways, all I know is that the connection quality varies a great deal ranging from decent to appalling in most cases and sometimes good. So that kind of general observation could support your theory as that would be typical P2P traits but it would still only be a theory. Besides, when players drop from games you never get black screen for a new host being chosen and I don´t know how you could have that unless the games actually always run on dedicated servers. Netduma users have posted networking stats/history (fact!) that support always dedicated servers.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5