Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Let me explain to you why Halo 5= little skill gap

OP xboxdigger 94

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
You sure do patrol these forums like it's your job.
Just have some spare time I choose to spend on this forum before I begin my Computer Engineering course again, in a few hours.
You're right it's not the same Halo.. it's better.
You're right it's not the same Halo.. it's better.
I enjoy the game, but it's not better in my eyes. Sprint, and the effects it has on gameplay really kills it for me.

Would have been a close competitor to the original trilogy if they removed sprint, upped the movement speed and increased the kill times just a little bit. And if they really want to spice up things, use the mechanic I described on page one instead of sprint.
Yeah, that's why my friend could go and do fine on Halo 3 and 2, yet he got creamed when playing Halo 5. I'm not even at a high rank, nor were we playing any people that were.

You're just complaining for the sake of complaining. More than half of the reasons you posted are crap.
Yeah, that's why my friend could go and do fine on Halo 3 and 2, yet he got creamed when playing Halo 5. I'm not even at a high rank, nor were we playing any people that were.

You're just complaining for the sake of complaining. More than half of the reasons you posted are crap.
You don't simply understand, either because you don't have the enough understanding of game mechanics and FPS in general, or because you don't want to.. I have played on two different accounts in Halo 5. I got placed in bronze and onyx after having played my first 10 games. That alone proves the Halo 5 ranking needs some work with it's placements. Players may not be placed into what rank they really belong to.

And, because the skill gap is lower in Halo 5, it's harder to do good, and harder to too bad.

You don't simply understand, either because you don't have the enough understanding of game mechanics and FPS in general, or because you don't want to.. I have played on two different accounts in Halo 5. I got placed in bronze and onyx after having played my first 10 games. That alone proves the Halo 5 ranking needs some work with it's placements. Players may not be placed into what rank they really belong to.

And, because the skill gap is lower in Halo 5, it's harder to do good, and harder to too bad.
Like I said, he got creamed. He had 3 kills while another guy/girl had like 14, and it was at half the match. It is definitely not harder to do better than others.

Even though the ranking system MAY be broken, that doesn't change the fact that you can see how well the other people are doing by looking at the score.

Enlighten me on how FPS work oh wise one.

Like I said, he got creamed. He had 3 kills while another guy/girl had like 14, and it was at half the match. It is definitely not harder to do better than others.

Even though the ranking system MAY be broken, that doesn't change the fact that you can see how well the other people are doing by looking at the score.

You are responding to me with another account?

Anyway, why don't you debate the facts in the OP? I am not saying you can't do better than someone in Halo 5. It has a skill gap, but it's not comparable to the original games.

Anyway, why don't you debate the facts in the OP? I am not saying you can't do better than someone in Halo 5. It has a skill gap, but it's not comparable to the original games.
Haha, sorry, I hadn't noticed. It must have changed when I switched browsers.

Why would I debate against facts? There aren't any facts in this thread to begin with. Is there a way to measure the skill gap? Like, a real measurement? Or is it just measured by how you feel?

Haha, sorry, I hadn't noticed. It must have changed when I switched browsers.

Why would I debate against facts? There aren't any facts in this thread to begin with. Is there a way to measure the skill gap? Like, a real measurement? Or is it just measured by how you feel?
It's called common sense.
SpoonerXx wrote:
This thread in a nutshell; I cant accept change so instead of Halo 5 lets have Halo 5.2.1 Anniversary Edition which is basically every other game with...*wait for it*...BETTER GRAPHICS XD

And people like you expect Halo to magically become relevant again when your stuck in the past, take off your nostalgia goggles already -,-.

I came back to the Halo community after years of competitive PC gaming, and yet still theres so many of you stuck in the past.

Be real instead of looking through a stained halo glass; The game wont be relevant anytime soon by staying the same for forever.
No you are blind, Halo has always been a game that is very unforgiving and difficult, this post is clearly stating all the changes made not to be innovative or unique in any way, the changes to Halo that are being made are to make the game easier and reward players for not really learning how Halo has always been. Halo is not a fast paced run and gun, no teamwork, fast kill times, and strong automatic weapons game like every other fps there is. It's about learning how to play with a team, precision aim, grenades, and skilled jumps and all of these things are being flushed down the toilet.
I think you might be interested in my thread "Sprint is useless." Most of the changes that have been made to accomodate sprint, effectively remove the point of having sprint. Mind you, you did say something interesting about Sprint:
Quote:
Sprint does not punish players who die as much anymore - With sprint players sprint right back at were they died, and help their teammates.
I do not like this. If you die [or kill someone] in a multiplayer game--there is a consequence to that. In Halo, you lose any power-weapons or ammunition you may have had to the enemy, and you have lost that particular battle with the enemy. With sprint, you have a situation where a player has just killed an enemy, lost shields and ammunition, turns around...and finds themselves face to face with the same enemy who they just killed. Only this time--that player who died now has fully charged shields and full ammunition in their weapons. In Halo 4, they might even have had a more effective loadout. Death needs to be a punishment in games. You should not just be able to respawn and sprint to your previous location to continue the previous battle. When you respawn, that battle is over for you--go and find a new one.

As to clamber--I like it--I feel that even a normal person should be able to do that in a video game, let alone a Spartan--however it needs to be significantly slower, thus exposing you to more enemy fire than skill jumping. Remember the ladders in Halo 1's multiplayer, and Halo 3's campaign? Clamber is useful for catching yourself when you miss a jump--in order to counter a loss of skill based jumps, there needs to be jumps which can only just be reached with the clamber ability.

Jump--yes, we require more vertical motion in Halo. I'd also like to see various different gravity settings. This series takes place on multiple planets/spaceships/gigantic space-based installations, after all.

Aim assist--More aim assist reduces the skill required to aim. In a non-twitch shooter, we shouldn't really require aim-assist. On the other hand, it's always been there in Halo, but I'm not sure how much Halo 5 has in relation to other Halo games.

Radar--radar is actually three-dimensional. It wouldn't be useful in most scientific and military applications if it wasn't. It makes sense that Halo has a three-dimensional radar display. You just need more skill or luck in order to perform the same tricks that you did before.

Friendly fire--yep. Not having friendly fire is illogical. It doesn't fit the canon, it doesn't make sense it real life, and it reduces a major tactical consideration in gameplay. If this "no friendly fire" business is to prevent betrayals/booting...people who deliberately betray others are always going to find some loophole which enables them to continue betraying teammates, anyway. It's better to identify those people and boot them, rather than avoiding the issue entirely.
T BO 13 wrote:
SpoonerXx wrote:
This thread in a nutshell; I cant accept change so instead of Halo 5 lets have Halo 5.2.1 Anniversary Edition which is basically every other game with...*wait for it*...BETTER GRAPHICS XD

And people like you expect Halo to magically become relevant again when your stuck in the past, take off your nostalgia goggles already -,-.

I came back to the Halo community after years of competitive PC gaming, and yet still theres so many of you stuck in the past.

Be real instead of looking through a stained halo glass; The game wont be relevant anytime soon by staying the same for forever.

No you are blind, Halo has always been a game that is very unforgiving and difficult, this post is clearly stating all the changes made not to be innovative or unique in any way, the changes to Halo that are being made are to make the game easier and reward players for not really learning how Halo has always been. Halo is not a fast paced run and gun, no teamwork, fast kill times, and strong automatic weapons game like every other fps there is. It's about learning how to play with a team, precision aim, grenades, and skilled jumps and all of these things are being flushed down the toilet.
^^^^^^^^^
This
Friendly fire is only off for the beta.
T BO 13 wrote:
SpoonerXx wrote:

Are you kidding? Team work isn't in h5? Precision aim? Grenads? Lol wow this is laughable.

Now people are hyping skill jump lol like it added so much to the skill gap. Stop it please, honestly you people only hurt your cause tbh. Instead of lying and bashing a game as competetive as h5. You're better off admitting it's to different and straying away from halos roots and you want that classic decade old mechanics. I'll have much more respect for you.
I understand where you're coming from, but it's 2015 and everything in life and games has to be fast now. Sprint isn't going anywhere. I noticed the aim assist is very low, possibly as close as CE's was. If 343 is trying to go competitive, enable friendly fire, ehhhhh its a TS playlist so radar is fine, but it is a very small range, shouldnt tell you if someone is above or below though. Seriously, if it's 49-49, you really think someone is going to GP his opponent or shoulder charge him ftw? I really don't think so lol. But all of the spartan abilities don't break the game. I stopped playing h4 2 weeks after release and a month after the weapon balancing, the magnetism is absurd. So with less auto aim it should be harder to keep your reticle on someone while they are strafing. That itself creates a skill gap in it self. I think the only problem holding this game back is the rankings, gain/loss of points and the tiers. But thats in another thread.
I would counter 90% of your complaints but I have so many times on other people's threads who post similar thing im worn out.
There's a huge skill gap in halo 5 and I'll add clamber I feel should've been introduced in halo 3 and for good reason, its long overdue.
Quote:
xboxdigger 94 wrote: 1. Sprint

What does sprint to do the game?

Sprint reduces base movement speed - In every engagement against another player, strafe is lessened and therefore it is easier to hit other players.
I do not know too much about the effect it has on strafe but the base player speed in Halo 4 at least is not that much different than Halo 3. Ran across Ragnarok without sprint and finished around the same time it takes to travel across Vahalla. Same for The PIt and Pitfall.
Quote:
Sprint stretches the map - Bigger maps(Or at least the ilussion of bigger maps because of FOV), means the distance between battles are increased. When the range between 2 players are increased, movement is less effective, and it is thereforem easier to hit players. Imagine this: If someone is 100 meters away from you, it will take a long time for them to run across your screen, and you will then have lots of time to attack them. If someone is 10 meters away from you, it will only take a few seconds.
The question is why would somebody be sprinting toward you as you shoot them without attempting to shoot back?

Quote:
Another thing to note is that when players are far away from you, is that the spartan can fit the whole reticule, and there is no way to distinguish, between head and body. In close combat if you want a headshot with the BR, you have to aim in the head. You can try this yourself. Is it easier to kill people in close combat or not, in Halo CE.
I am not real sure, where you are going with this but what does this have to do with sprint?
Quote:
Sprint largens explosions to support for the increased movement speed - With bigger explosions you have a bigger margin of error when you throw grenades for example.
Well at least it actually feels like I am throwing a grenade. In Halo 3 it feels like I am throwing a damn pea. Plus I do not think that sprint has any effect on the blast radius of the grenade. You might have to explain that a little more.
Quote:
Sprint lowers the shield - Less shield, means fewer bullets to hit. You don't have to hold your reticule on the enemy for as long. It's like "how long can you balance on a thin line"? Normally lower shields wouldn't necessary decrease the skill gap, but with the amount of aim assist and low strafe, it does.
Then it seems like the problem is not sprint but low strafe and aim assist though I thought Halo 5 was reported to have little to no aim assist.

Quote:
Sprint adds to unpredictability - When you can move at more than 1 movement speed at choice the ability skill to predict opponents becomes less viable. Sprint adds a bit of randomness to the game.
If you play long enough, you will be able to predict movements. I can predict movements, its just killing them is my problem. Plus having another movement speed forces players to be modest. Plus if anything is random it is the equipment in Halo 3. Yeah you have to fight over them but the usage is random. You can be shooting somebody with the BR and just about to get that last headshot and bam! they just throw up a bubble shield or regen field and they are saved. Unpredictable and random. Do not even get me started on drain.
Quote:
Sprint removes a part of the map positioning skill - In Halo 1-3 it was hard to run away if you placed yourself in a bad position. In Halo Reach till 5, it is not. A part of it comes from the fact that sprint removes the ability to shoot, and the player chasing cannot shoot them at them while they run and you chase them.
Do not chase. Unless you know the map well enough chasing a player would be stupid, no offense. It just like Halo 3, if someone is running you can find a way to cut them off.
Quote:
Sprint toys with spaws - No one except the developers are exactly sure how the spawning system works (except Halo 1) but we can predict it somehow. The opponents will not spawn where you are, and they will not spawn where players have just died. If you practice enough, you can place yourself on different parts on the map and spawn kill people. When players are sprinting around the map and changing position twice as fast, spawn killing diminishes and becomes luck instead.
I don't know if having the ability to spawn kill is a good thing. Oh wait, it is not a good thing. Cheaters spawn kill because it gives them an extreme advantage over the other player. It is not fair and if sprint somehow randomizes respawns then I count that as a good thing.

Quote:
Sprint does not punish players who die as much anymore - With sprint players sprint right back at were they died, and help their teammates.
That is not a problem with sprint. That seems to be a problem with instant respawns.
Quote:
Clamber. While I am personally okey with this as an ability it does in fact lower the skill gap.

In Halo 1-4 we had something called skill jumps. In Halo 5 they are non-existant. Skill jumps are jumps rewarding jumps if you managed to pull them off, but often punished you by death if you failed. Often, the harder, the more rewarding, and some of the hardest jumps could take months to practice. In Halo 5 these jumps are replaced by "click to clamber", and every jump is a jump you can get straight of the bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5weMUjGl3g
Not a big fan of clamber myself and I do not even care that much about skill jumps.
Quote:
Radar.
The radar spaning from Halo Reach to Halo 5 tells you when people are coming for you, and if they are below, or above you. In Halo 1-3 the radar did not do this, and you could therefore use tricks and jumps to outsmart your opponent. Snipe 1 to Snipe 2 or the other way around was a common way to spin the head of your opponents in Halo
I imagine that the new SA has the same ability to spin the heads of your opponent. But other than that, I agree with you. I just like knowing if somebody is on top of my or below me.

Quote:
No friendly fire. When you remove something as important to gameplay as friendly fire you really have one less thing to be concerened about. SPAM THOSE GRENADES TO KILL EVERYONE except your teammates.
Friendly fire is a nightmare when you are dealing with -Yoinks!- who feel that killing their teammates will win games. And plus you as a good player wouldn't want a noob killing you because he doesn't know which way the rockets come out of a rocket launcher do you. Even though in theory FF is fine but when you are dealing with -Yoink--hats it is just terrible.

Quote:
And one last question, if Halo 5 feels like Halo, why does the older Halo's feel outdated and slow? Halo 5 is therefore not the same as Halo 1-3 and cannot feel the same, thus Halo 5 is not Halo or at least not the same as the original trilogy Halo.
That is like saying that Assassin's Black Flag is not an Assassin's Creed game because it is vastly different than the original. Or that World of Warcraft is not a Warcraft game because it is a MMORPG and not a RTS. Or that Burnout Paradise is not a Burnout game because it is open world and not a linear driving game. Or becasue Borderlands The Pre-Sequel is not a borderlands game because you can now use a jet-pack. Or that Mass Effect 2 is not a Mass Effect game because you can sprint, and there is more of an emphasis on cover based shooting added to the fact that you no longer have infinite ammo and can't drive around in the mako. Or that Ghost Recon Future soldier is not a Ghost Recon game because you can Sprint, and it is a Third person shoot now. The list can go on and on....
Slickini wrote:
Let me explain why you think h5=little skillgap. YOU don't play with pros

Not usually, but I am just as good as a pro, and have the same understanding as them.

Skill transfers between shooters, I am playing and beating a Halo pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfTxx6kpX6U

I have beat Ninja, Monster, and Heinz as well.

Even though I provided you with 1 page of info, you close your eyes and refuse to listen, or even debate.
I can link to a video too. That makes me as good as a pro.
I agree with everything except jump, aim assist (because there is little to none) and friendly fire
I think everyone can agree (or should) there needs to be lower bullet magnetism. Aim Assist is virtually gone, but bullete magnetism is still high (and is creating the illusion of aim assist). I think its just about the most direct skill gap decreaser possible. Just about everything else can and will be argued.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3