Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Let's talk about toxicity in the Halo community

OP Dr Robaldnik

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I watch a lot of Halo videos on YouTube, and I usually look through the comments on videos. Something I just can't seem to avoid is someone who is toxic towards another. It really get's on my nerves when someone puts someone else down for liking something in a Halo game, that many people despise or dislike. There is a lot of toxicity in the Halo community, and it's nothing new to fandoms. What's your opinion on the toxicity of the Halo community? You can share your experience of reading something toxic from the community. One experience I have is that I think duel-wielding is awesome, but there are others who think it badly affects the gameplay, when I just thought it was a neat little ability that made the game more fun for me.
Youtube is always gonna be toxic in general. Your dual wielding example sounds like a normal discussion from how you described it and not toxicity.
I made a similar post about this some time ago. I think its just a matter of experiences. For me when I made my post, I made it due to recent events at the time. As of now I'd like to think that toxicity has died down but I'd be lying. As of lately I haven't experienced enough of it for me to make another post about it.
I watch a lot of Halo videos on YouTube, and I usually look through the comments on videos. Something I just can't seem to avoid is someone who is toxic towards another. It really get's on my nerves when someone puts someone else down for liking something in a Halo game, that many people despise or dislike. There is a lot of toxicity in the Halo community, and it's nothing new to fandoms. What's your opinion on the toxicity of the Halo community? You can share your experience of reading something toxic from the community. One experience I have is that I think duel-wielding is awesome, but there are others who think it badly affects the gameplay, when I just thought it was a neat little ability that made the game more fun for me.
There are always those -Yoinks!- out there who have to hate
As Luke said above, that sounds less like the Halo community and more the Youtube community. Youtube commentors in general are known for being an extremely toxic bunch, no matter what the subject matter of the video is. I'd say that toxicity in the Halo community isn't as bad as in Overwatch or R6S, for example.
One experience I have is that I think duel-wielding is awesome, but there are others who think it badly affects the gameplay, when I just thought it was a neat little ability that made the game more fun for me.
That doesn't sound like toxicity. That just sounds like someone disagreeing with you. Which they have a point; dual-wielding in H2 and H3 was largely unbalanced, and for some players balance is the most important thing. Someone not liking something you like isn't inherently toxic, it's just a difference in opinion.
Chimera30 wrote:
As Luke said above, that sounds less like the Halo community and more the Youtube community. Youtube commentors in general are known for being an extremely toxic bunch, no matter what the subject matter of the video is. I'd say that toxicity in the Halo community isn't as bad as in Overwatch or R6S, for example.
One experience I have is that I think duel-wielding is awesome, but there are others who think it badly affects the gameplay, when I just thought it was a neat little ability that made the game more fun for me.
That doesn't sound like toxicity. That just sounds like someone disagreeing with you. Which they have a point; dual-wielding in H2 and H3 was largely unbalanced, and for some players balance is the most important thing. Someone not liking something you like isn't inherently toxic, it's just a difference in opinion.
Your right, I chose a bad example. I'm not against the people who want the gameplay to be balanced. Maybe 343 could add it back in the next game and just make it more balanced somehow. I also agree about how the toxicity has died down. It's not as bad as before.
I would chalk it up to the growing frustration of Halo not trending in the right direction ever since H3.
YouTube,video game social media no matter what you use or where you go people who like to put others down for their amusement will do so,I have been put down because I played bad,or I picked up a weapon they wanted,if there is hate in their heart those would put others down will find away no matter the situation,just ignore them,it is the best way to get them to go away
Remember halo 3? The toxicity in halo is way down compared to what it used to be. I mean it’s a night and day comparison.
I miss halo 3, I don't know what you guys mean by toxicity. Words can't hurt you.
Remember halo 3? The toxicity in halo is way down compared to what it used to be. I mean it’s a night and day comparison.
Yeah, I remember that. There were always people complaining about the game, the people that liked it, how H2 was better in every way, etc. Sounds familiar though doesn't it?

I watch a lot of Halo videos on YouTube, and I usually look through the comments on videos. Something I just can't seem to avoid is someone who is toxic towards another. It really get's on my nerves when someone puts someone else down for liking something in a Halo game, that many people despise or dislike.
This is just what happens, I've even seen people that hate Halo 5 simply because thrust is a cop-out and a way to compensate for a weak strafe. I'd say that what you're experiencing is simply just YouTube in a nutshell, everyone like to argue and cause drama.
That's definitely a YouTube thing, not a Halo thing. Every community is going to be at least a little toxic, but it just gets magnified when you mix two different groups and throw them together like a salad bowl. Talking about the old vs. new Halo games is going to bring up debates, and add that to YouTube, and you have Act Man's COD: WWII video's comments all over again.
I don't think the Halo community is very toxic, it's pretty positive and fun for the most part. From time to time I come across the super negative people who have nothing positive to say about anything, but there far and few between anymore. Also having been part of the Destiny community during OG Destiny, I can tell you that people are WAY more positive in Halo. Destiny was the only other game I really ever got into the community, and it wasn't a very positive one back then. The YouTube community is generally negative, not much positivity on there. Sounds more like the YouTube community and less like the Halo community.
Starboss55 wrote:
That's definitely a YouTube thing, not a Halo thing. Every community is going to be at least a little toxic, but it just gets magnified when you mix two different groups and throw them together like a salad bowl. Talking about the old vs. new Halo games is going to bring up debates, and add that to YouTube, and you have Act Man's COD: WWII video's comments all over again.
Thanks. Your comment, and other peoples comments, helped me understand this more. Also, I watch Act Man's videos too.
Chimera30 wrote:
R6s is extremely toxic. From people chatting in game, just gameplay itself, hate mail, raging ect.

It's a fun game when people are respectful. I dont really see it in Halo unless a team vs a team, or someone is having a bad day.

The only Halo i have consistenly run into toxicity is HALO MCC Halo 3 BTB.
I got serious hate mail for going out the map with a SPNKR Prime in BTB Super Fiesta. Thought it would be fun to rain down rockets of justice from way up high; it did not disappoint.

He then tried to stat flame me for placing Diamond 3 in ranked playlists and insisting I miss my shots when I have a career accuracy of around 54 percent. He was also on an account that has never once been placed in a rank.

So yes, the community is still toxic.
Youtube Comments are more toxic than Chernobyl, I swear. Even if you say something good about a Halo game that you like, they would rather force their opinion down your throat until you believe like they do.
Chimera30 wrote:
R6s is extremely toxic. From people chatting in game, just gameplay itself, hate mail, raging ect.

It's a fun game when people are respectful. I dont really see it in Halo unless a team vs a team, or someone is having a bad day.

The only Halo i have consistenly run into toxicity is HALO MCC Halo 3 BTB.
You aren't wrong about R6S though, they often TK you when you choose their favorite operator.
What puts me off is when skilled players look down on lesser opponents as being "trash" or "garbage" and basically talking -Yoink- just because they beat them senseless. Teabagging - yes, I'm likely gonna get some flak for this - is something that turns me off immediately. Even then, games like World of Tanks Blitz are crawling with people shouting "moron" at everyone and it's sickening.
Toxic behavior isn't just tied to Halo, it's in just about every community. In Halo, however, I get hateful comments about how stupid I am for defending Halo 5 in any capacity. Like, don't get me wrong; Halo 5: Guardians has a LOT of flaws. But it's not the worst game in history. There are many things I liked about Halo 5; the graphics are absolutely stunning, the sounds and effects are amazing, and the potential the story had really hooked me in (to name a few things). But the game kinda fell a part for me; Halo 4 had me shed tears when Cortana died and Halo 5 just has me worried for the Chief's sanity. But it doesn't make me feel as strongly as 4 did.

I wish they had taken the story in a different direction than what they did because 5 felt rushed all throughout the campaign and we had like little to no Chief missions. And when we DID have Blue Team missions, it felt like an attempt at plot exposition more so than 'hey, have some fun being the badass, Legendary Blue Team!'. Because every time we played as Blue Team, we spent a large portion of it just trying to answer a question provided to us only to have it explained whenever Cortana came up or was mentioned.

So, yes, the game has some issues; and you don't have to like it, but I like it to an extent and I wish some people didn't feel the need to put me down for it. I shouldn't have to join some cult following of hating the game purely because there are some flaws or be cast down as the most ignorant person on the planet.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3