Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Let's talk about toxicity in the Halo community

OP Dr Robaldnik

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
This is quite an interesting matter and in some cases falls on the matters of ideology, such as Old Bungie Halo vs. New 343i Halo. Though from my personal experience, it stems from many different aspects within the community.

Examples from my experience would include creating other Halo Fans OCs in Halo games via screenshots from the Halo games and when presenting them with the gift screenshots, them ignoring me and not even thanking me is the end result. Another example would be when I was a Community Manager on the now defunct Halo Archive when a lady from Taiwan proclaimed she was being abused and when myself or another CM would try to offer help, she would scold and verbally attack us in response. Yeah, try to help a person and they lash out at you specifically for that, that's pretty toxic.

Defending Code of Conduct and Terms of Use in the Halo Community as 343 Industries as well as Bungie in the past has shown their stance on boosting, modding, and cheating (Which they are against) will have some people in the community lash out at you, acting as if cheating is ok and CoC is nothing more than a suggestion (Which it is not, it is a binding agreement to use LIVE Services) as some people feel using aspects of the game in a manner not intended by the developer (Bungie/343i) for personal ingame gain at a rate not possible from gameplay as intended by the developer or not possible at all is ok (Which it is not).

Having an unpopular opinion in the Halo Community can also subject a person to toxicity. I have experienced this myself on several occasions due to my dislike of the Battle Rifle due to it's obsurd spread whenever I use it (Causing me to prefer the magnum and carbine/DMR over it).

You also have your typical trolls in the Halo games that ruin the quality of LIVE services and gameplay experience with griefing, trolling, and teamkilling/repeat intentional suicide and that is also toxic. Thankfully, the LIVE Report Feature usually takes care of them.

There are some instances where Fact trumps opinion (Such as with Code of Conduct), but there from what I can tell seems to be some separation due to lack of respect for other individual's opinions to the extreme in some instances (As there is a difference from that of a disagreement and that of toxicity, whether it be out of spite, trolling, anger, etc).

As for the Youtube Community, I only ever had one negative message sent to me and a couple of spammed messages.
The internet is toxic. Anonymity provides solace and a feeling of security. Being divided by a screen makes people tend to lash out more.
4
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Well that kind of stuff has been in the Halo community for years now. It also sounds like the regular internet and youtube. Every immature idiot thinks they're smart but just ends up spouting stupidity where ever they go.

Chimera30 wrote:
As Luke said above, that sounds less like the Halo community and more the Youtube community. Youtube commentors in general are known for being an extremely toxic bunch, no matter what the subject matter of the video is. I'd say that toxicity in the Halo community isn't as bad as in Overwatch or R6S, for example.
Don't know much about those communities so why are they so toxic?
If only we all could just get along, and not judge eachother by what someone likes/dislikes, sadely that's just a fairytale
buzzsaw135 wrote:
Youtube Comments are more toxic than Chernobyl, I swear. Even if you say something good about a Halo game that you like, they would rather force their opinion down your throat until you believe like they do.
Exactly. Those people in the comments act like you're not able to like the thing YOU like in a game.
I get hateful comments about how stupid I am for defending Halo 5 in any capacity.
Wow. That's a load of garbage. Sorry about the hate comments.
So, yes, the game has some issues; and you don't have to like it, but I like it to an extent and I wish some people didn't feel the need to put me down for it.
This is exactly how I feel with a game like Sonic 06. Sure there are many flaws in the game, but I enjoy the gameplay with some of the characters. Yet many others think you should never enjoy the game, because they think it's one of the worst games ever made. There are many worse games out there than Halo 5 Guardians.
Zafro817 wrote:
Well that kind of stuff has been in the Halo community for years now. It also sounds like the regular internet and youtube. Every immature idiot thinks they're smart but just ends up spouting stupidity where ever they go.

Chimera30 wrote:
As Luke said above, that sounds less like the Halo community and more the Youtube community. Youtube commentors in general are known for being an extremely toxic bunch, no matter what the subject matter of the video is. I'd say that toxicity in the Halo community isn't as bad as in Overwatch or R6S, for example.
Don't know much about those communities so why are they so toxic?
The more you look into the communities, the more toxicity you'll find.
I don't see the community as being as toxic as it is perceived. Sure there are the haters our there. But as far as what is seen on waypoint it's a small minority. I would say the same is true in game. As an avid grifballer (R.I.P.) I saw more than my fair share of people there to start boost and abuse the mechanics of the game at the expense of others. But over time I came to realize this was a smaller minority of like about 10-15 people that were being consistently toxic. And once you learn those gamertags you report them or quit. The issue I think can come in more when we get too emotionally involved in the outcome of these games cause at the end of the day it's still just a game. Yes there will he the occasional toxic fan but mentally healthy people who are that dissatisfied with something move on. And we just have to recognize that there are people who are going to make unhealthy choices and try to bring others down with them. You just have to shake it off and go find a positive outlet.
IDK I feel like I started to ramble so I'm gonna stop talking now.
I get hateful comments about how stupid I am for defending Halo 5 in any capacity.
Wow. That's a load of garbage. Sorry about the hate comments.
So, yes, the game has some issues; and you don't have to like it, but I like it to an extent and I wish some people didn't feel the need to put me down for it.
This is exactly how I feel with a game like Sonic 06. Sure there are many flaws in the game, but I enjoy the gameplay with some of the characters. Yet many others think you should never enjoy the game, because they think it's one of the worst games ever made. There are many worse games out there than Halo 5 Guardians.
Halo 5 wasn't as bad as everyone's making it out to be; does it need work? Of course! Is it total garbage? Hardly. So many games get a bad rep because of some stupid reason that honestly doesn't really matter while others are shunned for actual reasons that merit being disliked by many.
I got serious hate mail for going out the map with a SPNKR Prime in BTB Super Fiesta. Thought it would be fun to rain down rockets of justice from way up high; it did not disappoint.

He then tried to stat flame me for placing Diamond 3 in ranked playlists and insisting I miss my shots when I have a career accuracy of around 54 percent. He was also on an account that has never once been placed in a rank.

So yes, the community is still toxic.
Sounds like you missed 46% of your shots. Jokes aside, yea I too have gotten messages in halo 5 for either having a certain weapon (usually sniper) or killing someone who rushes me over and over and they get upset and try to put me down. However; that is nothing compared to just playing any social game mode in For Honor and get sent negative messages for winning and losing at anything you do. So by no means am I denying that toxicity doesn’t exist in halo 5, but comparatively other games almost encourage players to stop playing the game.
Zafro817 wrote:
Well that kind of stuff has been in the Halo community for years now. It also sounds like the regular internet and youtube. Every immature idiot thinks they're smart but just ends up spouting stupidity where ever they go.
This.

I continue to be baffled at the lack of common sense, common courtesy, and general intelligence that large sections of the human race choose to demonstrate and display. It's a (internet) culture problem not exclusive to Halo.

Side note:
The internet is toxic. Anonymity provides solace and a feeling of security. Being divided by a screen makes people tend to lash out more.
If the internet is toxic, and we all know the internet is composed entirely of cats, then we must assume that cats are toxic.
Zafro817 wrote:
Well that kind of stuff has been in the Halo community for years now. It also sounds like the regular internet and youtube. Every immature idiot thinks they're smart but just ends up spouting stupidity where ever they go.
This.

I continue to be baffled at the lack of common sense, common courtesy, and general intelligence that large sections of the human race choose to demonstrate and display. It's a (internet) culture problem not exclusive to Halo.

Side note:
The internet is toxic. Anonymity provides solace and a feeling of security. Being divided by a screen makes people tend to lash out more.
If the internet is toxic, and we all know the internet is composed entirely of cats, then we must assume that cats are toxic.
This was already known. Anyone who has a cat will tell you they're a jerk
1
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
i haven't really ran into any toxicity in the games tbh or online i dont get why a lot of people are saying the community is toxic when i haven't run into any of it there are disagreements about what halos were best and which ones weren't as good for example i really didn't enjoy halo ODST as much as the others but it was still a good game i had some fun with id say i had more fun with 4 and 5 than ODST and i haven't gotten toxic hate for it when i talk with other halo fans
i haven't really ran into any toxicity in the games tbh or online i dont get why a lot of people are saying the community is toxic when i haven't run into any of it there are disagreements about what halos were best and which ones weren't as good for example i really didn't enjoy halo ODST as much as the others but it was still a good game i had some fun with id say i had more fun with 4 and 5 than ODST and i haven't gotten toxic hate for it when i talk with other halo fans
Yup. If you expect toxicity, you will find it. I've been getting very active on the forums since I started posting, and I haven't really seen any of it. Once I saw some people start arguing over H5 vs H3 being the better game and then one page later everyone was apologizing to each other for coming off as rude.
i haven't really ran into any toxicity in the games tbh or online i dont get why a lot of people are saying the community is toxic when i haven't run into any of it there are disagreements about what halos were best and which ones weren't as good for example i really didn't enjoy halo ODST as much as the others but it was still a good game i had some fun with id say i had more fun with 4 and 5 than ODST and i haven't gotten toxic hate for it when i talk with other halo fans
Yup. If you expect toxicity, you will find it. I've been getting very active on the forums since I started posting, and I haven't really seen any of it. Once I saw some people start arguing over H5 vs H3 being the better game and then one page later everyone was apologizing to each other for coming off as rude.
I would agree with this. For the most part it seems to be split on one hand you have people who are very polite and concerned about being respectful because they understand that is how you get respect. But on the other hand there is this occasionally vocal minority that are rude and ruin things for others. And because of the fact that negative experiences stick with us more than positive experience it takes very few of them to skew our opinion of the whole community. They definitely exist here tho. I actually was borderline threatened in the vaguest way imaginable on here the other day. And you know I remember that pm more than any of my many other private messages here on waypoint.
i haven't really ran into any toxicity in the games tbh or online i dont get why a lot of people are saying the community is toxic when i haven't run into any of it there are disagreements about what halos were best and which ones weren't as good for example i really didn't enjoy halo ODST as much as the others but it was still a good game i had some fun with id say i had more fun with 4 and 5 than ODST and i haven't gotten toxic hate for it when i talk with other halo fans
Yup. If you expect toxicity, you will find it. I've been getting very active on the forums since I started posting, and I haven't really seen any of it. Once I saw some people start arguing over H5 vs H3 being the better game and then one page later everyone was apologizing to each other for coming off as rude.
I would agree with this. For the most part it seems to be split on one hand you have people who are very polite and concerned about being respectful because they understand that is how you get respect. But on the other hand there is this occasionally vocal minority that are rude and ruin things for others. And because of the fact that negative experiences stick with us more than positive experience it takes very few of them to skew our opinion of the whole community. They definitely exist here tho. I actually was borderline threatened in the vaguest way imaginable on here the other day. And you know I remember that pm more than any of my many other private messages here on waypoint.
Wow really? Even a vague threat is pretty intense for a forum... I come here to have fun, why would I come here to be angry? Humans are a mystery lol
If you aren't happy about the community the best solution is to be an example of what you want to see in the community. There are always bad eggs, but if the rest of us are positive, welcoming, and do our best to help each other they'll fade into the background.
If you aren't happy about the community the best solution is to be an example of what you want to see in the community. There are always bad eggs, but if the rest of us are positive, welcoming, and do our best to help each other they'll fade into the background.
Being the change you wish to see in the world is definitely an important element in remedying the issue at hand here. Attitude comes first but I think we should still be aware that those other people are out there. Then you should choose let them fade like you are talking about. It's all about choosing to not continue to carry it with you.
i haven't really ran into any toxicity in the games tbh or online i dont get why a lot of people are saying the community is toxic when i haven't run into any of it there are disagreements about what halos were best and which ones weren't as good for example i really didn't enjoy halo ODST as much as the others but it was still a good game i had some fun with id say i had more fun with 4 and 5 than ODST and i haven't gotten toxic hate for it when i talk with other halo fans
Yup. If you expect toxicity, you will find it. I've been getting very active on the forums since I started posting, and I haven't really seen any of it. Once I saw some people start arguing over H5 vs H3 being the better game and then one page later everyone was apologizing to each other for coming off as rude.
I would agree with this. For the most part it seems to be split on one hand you have people who are very polite and concerned about being respectful because they understand that is how you get respect. But on the other hand there is this occasionally vocal minority that are rude and ruin things for others. And because of the fact that negative experiences stick with us more than positive experience it takes very few of them to skew our opinion of the whole community. They definitely exist here tho. I actually was borderline threatened in the vaguest way imaginable on here the other day. And you know I remember that pm more than any of my many other private messages here on waypoint.
Wow really? Even a vague threat is pretty intense for a forum... I come here to have fun, why would I come here to be angry? Humans are a mystery lol
See? That's what I'm talking about. Negativity like that threat does exist, and I don't really understand why someone would think it would be ok to do that? Also, it's Halo Waypoint, a place where Halo fans talk about what they like/dislike about the Halo games, or any other things about Halo. Someone sent a threat to someone on a website like this, and I don't know why it was made, but I know it shouldn't have been made. Again, I get annoyed when someone puts someone else down for liking something unpopular in a Halo game, but threats are worse. Sorry to WhyNotZ0IDBERG for having to experience that.
If you aren't happy about the community the best solution is to be an example of what you want to see in the community. There are always bad eggs, but if the rest of us are positive, welcoming, and do our best to help each other they'll fade into the background.
That's some good advice. Thanks. I'm not sure if the others would "fade into the background" entirely, but more positive people would make the Halo community feel more welcoming to others.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3