Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Let's talk about toxicity in the Halo community

OP Dr Robaldnik

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Halo. Not not even close to beening toxic compared to most other online shooters.i know I have played them since xbox Frist came out.
I got an atari when it Frist came out in 2nd grade.if that tells you how long I have been poorly playing video games.
YouTube is just full of toxic..
I would agree with this. For the most part it seems to be split on one hand you have people who are very polite and concerned about being respectful because they understand that is how you get respect. But on the other hand there is this occasionally vocal minority that are rude and ruin things for others. And because of the fact that negative experiences stick with us more than positive experience it takes very few of them to skew our opinion of the whole community. They definitely exist here tho. I actually was borderline threatened in the vaguest way imaginable on here the other day. And you know I remember that pm more than any of my many other private messages here on waypoint.
Wow really? Even a vague threat is pretty intense for a forum... I come here to have fun, why would I come here to be angry? Humans are a mystery lol
See? That's what I'm talking about. Negativity like that threat does exist, and I don't really understand why someone would think it would be ok to do that? Also, it's Halo Waypoint, a place where Halo fans talk about what they like/dislike about the Halo games, or any other things about Halo. Someone sent a threat to someone on a website like this, and I don't know why it was made, but I know it shouldn't have been made. Again, I get annoyed when someone puts someone else down for liking something unpopular in a Halo game, but threats are worse. Sorry to WhyNotZ0IDBERG for having to experience that.
It's all good I'm a middle school teacher. My job is basically to deal with bad decision making all day. 😋
At the end of the day you just shake it off move on. People will learn if they want to all you can do some days is be patient with the bad calls and show a different way.
And in answer to why it was made... Short answer I reported a used after multiple breaches of waypoint rules they were told that they were in violation and said something to the effect of I dare you to report me. So I did. They did not like the consequences so they sent their vague message.
Long story short don't dare people to do things you don't want done. 😝
I like what scoobydoo7474 is saying. There are many other places with more toxicity than Halo. We just need to shut out the minority that brings it here.
I would agree with this. For the most part it seems to be split on one hand you have people who are very polite and concerned about being respectful because they understand that is how you get respect. But on the other hand there is this occasionally vocal minority that are rude and ruin things for others. And because of the fact that negative experiences stick with us more than positive experience it takes very few of them to skew our opinion of the whole community. They definitely exist here tho. I actually was borderline threatened in the vaguest way imaginable on here the other day. And you know I remember that pm more than any of my many other private messages here on waypoint.
Wow really? Even a vague threat is pretty intense for a forum... I come here to have fun, why would I come here to be angry? Humans are a mystery lol
See? That's what I'm talking about. Negativity like that threat does exist, and I don't really understand why someone would think it would be ok to do that? Also, it's Halo Waypoint, a place where Halo fans talk about what they like/dislike about the Halo games, or any other things about Halo. Someone sent a threat to someone on a website like this, and I don't know why it was made, but I know it shouldn't have been made. Again, I get annoyed when someone puts someone else down for liking something unpopular in a Halo game, but threats are worse. Sorry to WhyNotZ0IDBERG for having to experience that.
It's all good I'm a middle school teacher. My job is basically to deal with bad decision making all day. 😋
At the end of the day you just shake it off move on. People will learn if they want to all you can do some days is be patient with the bad calls and show a different way.
And in answer to why it was made... Short answer I reported a used after multiple breaches of waypoint rules they were told that they were in violation and said something to the effect of I dare you to report me. So I did. They did not like the consequences so they sent their vague message.
Long story short don't dare people to do things you don't want done. 😝
I like what scoobydoo7474 is saying. There are many other places with more toxicity than Halo. We just need to shut out the minority that brings it here.
Ha my brother is an elementary school teacher and pretty much gets threatened on a daily basis too. I'm sure he would say the same thing or he would probably have lost his mind by now! Good on you for not backing down. I'm sure that keyboard warrior felt super cool as he was writing that private message lol
Toxcicity and stupidity will always be in the Halo community. Just a few minutes ago I got banned because I team killed some dude and his buddy after he attempted to betray me out of the gunner seat of a warthog for no reason. Then he sent me the obligatory "lol booted u" messages which didn't/doesn't bother me because it's just a game and it was my last match of the night anyway.

What makes me sad is that those people actually think that other people online care about their opinion. Much like YouTube commenters or forum trolls, there will always be people who go out of their way to just bother people who aren't bothering them, and they apparently have nothing better to do with their lives than team kill random Dinos like me in BTB and send stupid messages.

Best thing you can do is just ignore them. The main thing people like that want is for you to acknowledge them and give them a reaction.
Quote:
Remember halo 3? The toxicity in halo is way down compared to what it used to be. I mean it’s a night and day comparison.
Yeah, I remember that. There were always people complaining about the game, the people that liked it, how H2 was better in every way, etc. Sounds familiar though doesn't it?

I watch a lot of Halo videos on YouTube, and I usually look through the comments on videos. Something I just can't seem to avoid is someone who is toxic towards another. It really get's on my nerves when someone puts someone else down for liking something in a Halo game, that many people despise or dislike.
This is just what happens, I've even seen people that hate Halo 5 simply because thrust is a cop-out and a way to compensate for a weak strafe. I'd say that what you're experiencing is simply just YouTube in a nutshell, everyone like to argue and cause drama.
This.

There are comments on YouTube that literally state that the video is thinking for them. One cringe comment I read was, "I like to watch this video occasionally to remind me of why I hate Halo 5." And I'm just thinking, why would you need a video to explain to you why you hate something. Its sad really because there's a lot of good Halo video creators, but all the negative and clicks 4 cash baiters seem to get all the attention.

Can you imagine if the game hating YouTube fad was a thing back in Halo 2 days? There'd be videos like "Why Duel-wielding SUCKS!" "How Halo 2 DESTROYED the Magnum!" "How Hitscan RUINED Halo!"

I kinda wish YouTube stayed small and only had videos of random kids doing stupid stuff.
Quote:
Remember halo 3? The toxicity in halo is way down compared to what it used to be. I mean it’s a night and day comparison.
Yeah, I remember that. There were always people complaining about the game, the people that liked it, how H2 was better in every way, etc. Sounds familiar though doesn't it?

I watch a lot of Halo videos on YouTube, and I usually look through the comments on videos. Something I just can't seem to avoid is someone who is toxic towards another. It really get's on my nerves when someone puts someone else down for liking something in a Halo game, that many people despise or dislike.
This is just what happens, I've even seen people that hate Halo 5 simply because thrust is a cop-out and a way to compensate for a weak strafe. I'd say that what you're experiencing is simply just YouTube in a nutshell, everyone like to argue and cause drama.
This.

There are comments on YouTube that literally state that the video is thinking for them. One cringe comment I read was, "I like to watch this video occasionally to remind me of why I hate Halo 5." And I'm just thinking, why would you need a video to explain to you why you hate something. Its sad really because there's a lot of good Halo video creators, but all the negative and clicks 4 cash baiters seem to get all the attention.

Can you imagine if the game hating YouTube fad was a thing back in Halo 2 days? There'd be videos like "Why Duel-wielding SUCKS!" "How Halo 2 DESTROYED the Magnum!" "How Hitscan RUINED Halo!"

I kinda wish YouTube stayed small and only had videos of random kids doing stupid stuff.
Thing is, even if we go back to the Halo 2 and 3 formula/formulae, depending on if you see them as different or not, we would still have the same problem, introduced by the same people. There's a lot of good things about Halo 5, a lot of bad things too, but with how negative the community is towards a change, it's almost impossible for those who like the game to come out into the open, so to speak, without getting an absolute ton of backlash.

People like to agree with people they watch so you see very few people that don't just rehash old points when you refute them. I'd love to talk with some people that don't just regurgitate what others have already said tbh
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3