Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Locke rivaled a super evolved spartan?

OP ShadDadd

After playing through Halo 4 again I remembered the Librarian evolved the Chief's being by a couple million years. So an already augmented human who was also evolved by millions of years wasn't able to just smack the **** out of a new line spartan who we know aren't anywhere near as augmented as Chief's own series (Mark 2)???

Just another piece of kindling to the fire of Halo 5 but it's something I wanted to bring up. Unless human evolution had nothing to do with improving physically and only had to do with telepathy and being immune to super specific death lasers.
I don't know if I would say Spartan fours are less augmented than two. Their augmentations are probably pretty close to the same. Twos just started their training at younger ages. Also it's safe to say Chief was definitely pulling his punches during the fight. He didn't want to hurt Locke at all. Locke on the other hand was fighting as hard as he could since he is the type to accomplish a mission no matter what.
ShadDadd wrote:
After playing through Halo 4 again I remembered the Librarian evolved the Chief's being by a couple million years. So an already augmented human who was also evolved by millions of years wasn't able to just smack the **** out of a new line spartan who we know aren't anywhere near as augmented as Chief's own series (Mark 2)???

Just another piece of kindling to the fire of Halo 5 but it's something I wanted to bring up. Unless human evolution had nothing to do with improving physically and only had to do with telepathy and being immune to super specific death lasers.
The Librarian, as I understand it, only evolved the Chief's DNA in order to grant him immunity to the Composer. Basically, changing the DNA enough so that the Composer would have been "blind" to Master Chief. I dont think that involved any physical augmentation. If that were the case, he likely wouldn't have fit into his Mjolnir, which he was still wearing during the process.
I have to agree with LethalQ here, Chief may have been on a mission to find Cortana, and Locke may have engaged him with an order of detainment, but Locke fell under criteria that prohibited the Master Chief from literally killing him.

-He was human
-Affiliated with the UNSC
-Non-terroristic background
-Was not fighting with lethal means (he may have had a gun, but he never used it)

Chief already knew he was going to get chewed up for going AWOL with Blue Team, killing a fellow Soldier would have sealed his fate as a rogue Spartan. They would have hunted him down, which arguably would have set the story back to what it was SUPPOSED to be, but I don't think a lot of people would have liked having to hunt Chief down for making a decision very unlike him.

Chief's not a killer, he's not a machine; he's a soldier first, a human second. And sometimes he's a human first, a soldier second.
I honestly thought everyone knew Chief was pulling his punches fighting Locke. I thought it was clear when he got "a tad bit more serious" when Locke cracked his visor and pretty much laid him flat without full-out beating the -Yoink- out of him. We saw enough to know Locke was no match for him. Or I did, at least.
Just a note Spartan II's augmentations are far worse then any other spartan class. The only reason Locke was able to a fight was because of advancements in the armor Spartan IV's are wearing. I recall that it is able to match a Spartan 2 in combat although Spartan II's training still gives them an edge over Spartan IVs. If Locke had he removed his armor Chief would have twitched his pinkie toe and it would be over.
ShadDadd wrote:

I don't believe anyone said Chief's physical capabilities increased from that. It's not like it was to fight the Didact or something because he still just picked him up and tossed him.

Just a note Spartan II's augmentations are far worse then any other spartan class. The only reason Locke was able to a fight was because of advancements in the armor Spartan IV's are wearing. I recall that it is able to match a Spartan 2 in combat although Spartan II's training still gives them an edge over Spartan IVs. If Locke had he removed his armor Chief would have twitched his pinkie toe and it would be over.
I mean that's kinda why people wear armor, it makes the difference.

A well placed Brute Shot can cave in a Spartan-IIs torso with armor on.
We have no indication that the Librarian's gift enhanced Chief's physical attributes. The Librarian said his genesong contains many gifts, but the most notable seems to be immunity to the Composer and a telepathic link to the Domain, with how the Didact was able to communicate to him and Cortana's vision in Halo 5.

LethalQ wrote:
I don't know if I would say Spartan fours are less augmented than two. Their augmentations are probably pretty close to the same. Twos just started their training at younger ages. Also it's safe to say Chief was definitely pulling his punches during the fight. He didn't want to hurt Locke at all. Locke on the other hand was fighting as hard as he could since he is the type to accomplish a mission no matter what.
I mean, they both were holding back: Chief's mission was to get to Cortana with the least casualties as possible, and Locke's objective was to bring Chief back alive, preferably. They weren't delivering killing blows to each other.
LethalQ wrote:
I would say the augmentations were different. But not to an outstanding degree. Only evidence I have is the height difference between the two. Regardless the training and missions the chief went on definitely is what makes the difference between the two
LethalQ wrote:
I would say the augmentations were different. But not to an outstanding degree. Only evidence I have is the height difference between the two. Regardless the training and missions the chief went on definitely is what makes the difference between the two
It's less of a difference in augmentation degree and procedure, and more a difference in the candidates for those procedures. S-II's were picked form Humanity's absolute cream-of-the-crop, only the insanely strong, quick, and intelligent were hand-picked by Halsey and her team, and the training and augmentations began at a much, much younger age than the S-IV's, meaning the augmentations would have had greater effects, and be much more symbiotic with the human being augmented, since S-II's have been that way ever since puberty, so they would have relearned their own abilities AS their puberty. I think it's fair to say that, while the S-IV's augmentations are likely a bit more advanced, given the passage of time and new technologies administering their augmentations, the S-II's would have worn their augmentations better, given their superior traits, and familiarity with an adult body that has always been augmented (since puberty).