Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Lower resolution after Overtime Update?

OP Primus Ego Sum

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
i will have to pay attention to this, i didnt notice anything last night when playing
I have noticed a number of things in this update:
  1. Brightness is lower but that doesn’t bother me
  2. It’s no longer at a steady 60fps. This is something that has become noticeable with the latest updates
  3. Audio lowered in speed at times, it’s really annoying
In terms of resolution I have not noticed anything yet.

My theory/speculation is that they might have tweeked some settings to make it easier to port over the X but in turn made a couple of problems. They have stated that the update was a lot bigger in size than intended and that they would fix it in a hot-fix soon so this might just be a temporary problem.
It seems like the reticle is smaller to me, at least when im using the assault rifle
It seems like the reticle is smaller to me, at least when im using the assault rifle
It is. That is part of the weapon tuning.
I noticed it looked slightly darker, but I liked it. Though I didn' notice any resolution issues or anything of the sort.
My very first game yesterday I noticed it looked worse. Joked with my friends that they did it to say “Look how much better it looks on the X!”

Sadly, I would prefer max settings at 1080p or 1440p over 4K at medium settings on the X.

Back on topic, yes, it looks worse.
Nooga wrote:
I realized after i posted it was the weapon tuning.
Nooga wrote:
On a second note, a small thing but the guns in the req loading screen of your current loadout look smaller then before, and thats definitely not weapon tuning
Nooga wrote:
On a second note, a small thing but the guns in the req loading screen of your current loadout look smaller then before, and thats definitely not weapon tuning
I've also noticed the REQ UI is fast as heck now. Heckin' fast. I think they overhauled it. It was all clunky and laggy. I also really like the darker look. I hopped in campaign just to see if any changes sneaked in there (anti-aliasing, that thing where shadows and ground textures kinda render in front of you as you move forward on Meridian, and that cruiser on Sanghelios that vanishes and reappears depending on which angle you look at it ... actually still need to check that out ...) but anyway, none of that business was touched because they need to sell cool new Xbox One X's and that's its only selling point: fancy graphics, so I can't be mad.

... but um ... what was I saying? Oh yeah, the lighting: the darker lighting makes the lights on the guns really pop. Makes Meridian and the mission Blue Team seem a lot more atmospheric (those are the only ones I've played so far). Reminds me of the darker more grim areas of the older Halo games rather than the overly bright environments we've been getting in 343's games.
Nooga wrote:
I've also noticed the REQ UI is fast as heck now. Heckin' fast. I think they overhauled it. It was all clunky and laggy. I also really like the darker look. I hopped in campaign just to see if any changes sneaked in there (anti-aliasing, that thing where shadows and ground textures kinda render in front of you as you move forward on Meridian, and that cruiser on Sanghelios that vanishes and reappears depending on which angle you look at it ... actually still need to check that out ...) but anyway, none of that business was touched because they need to sell cool new Xbox One X's and that's its only selling point: fancy graphics, so I can't be mad.

... but um ... what was I saying? Oh yeah, the lighting: the darker lighting makes the lights on the guns really pop. Makes Meridian and the mission Blue Team seem a lot more atmospheric (those are the only ones I've played so far). Reminds me of the darker more grim areas of the older Halo games rather than the overly bright environments we've been getting in 343's games.
I only played hwff so i didnt really notice the lack of lag but will check it out in future games.
Call me nuts, but I thought it looked better. It definently is darker though. Or at least I think it is. Ppplllaaaaaccccceeeeeeebbbboooooo??
Nooga wrote:

I only played hwff so i didnt really notice the lack of lag but will check it out in future games.
I may have been imagining things, but it felt super fast and responsive now. I'm 85% sure they tweaked it for the better.
Yeah, I had to turn my brightness up. The friend's list menu and the Spartans were a lot darker than before.

One thing I noticed was some screen lag on a couple BTB Forge maps like a choppy feel at times. Shouldn't it better with lower res?

Some other people were saying the aiming felt better which they think might've been the reason for the bad aiming being tied to the dynamic resolution.
I noticed as well. My guess is that they probably changed a couple of textures and the rendering of the game in general for the X release. They probably used this extra cpu power (the core that Kinect was using) and optimisation with dx12.
I do not think that they lowered the resolution as it's dynamic but put instead somekind of anti aliasing or something that can make the pic sightly more blurry but also cleaner.
The game seems like it's running at a lower resolution after the Overtime update... everything is much blockier and more blurry than before. Did the game drop to 720p? Running on base Xbox One.
Nah but i actaully wish there was a 720p option so the game would run smoother
Evidence of it's current unplayability for me:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x67l01q

Also the graphics look -Yoink-. Great update guys!

Sorry there's no audio- I guess the audio was so messed the Xbox wouldn't record it. The audio was cutting in and out and sounded like audio if you slow it down a bunch (anyone whose messed with slowing down clips knows the sound I'm talking about)
Nooga wrote:

I may have been imagining things, but it felt super fast and responsive now. I'm 85% sure they tweaked it for the better.
Before was super slow hopefully its better.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Yeah, I had to turn my brightness up. The friend's list menu and the Spartans were a lot darker than before.

One thing I noticed was some screen lag on a couple BTB Forge maps like a choppy feel at times. Shouldn't it better with lower res?

Some other people were saying the aiming felt better which they think might've been the reason for the bad aiming being tied to the dynamic resolution.
The aiming does feel better to me, the reticle seems to go more where i want it to go now, at least it seemed that way to me, the assault rifle especially seems better, i thought it had something to do with the smaller reticle, but that was the tuning that someone mentioned to me in this forum earlier
Here's some footage of the game for me. It's currently unplayable.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x67l01q
It is definitely darker and very very laggy. Frames lost, stuttering, massive rubber-banding. I have not noticed a difference in res in arena.
ske7ch said on Twitter that they didn't lock the resolution to 720p. They must've changed something though since we all can't be imagining this, right?

https://twitter.com/HaloDataHive/status/926612751530778627
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3