Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Marketing vs Reality-Campaign Major Dissapointment

OP Chanzillla

First and foremost it just needs to be said that the Halo 5 campaign is just bad, flat out bad. Graphics are decent, cool scenery/scenarios and some half decent dialogue (the plot wasn't terrible in and of itself) but from a game play perspective? Incredibly tedious, repetitive, un-intuitive and dare I say it...BORING. Even compared to other Halo titles (I'm a major Halo fan don't get me wrong) the linear level design, shooting gallery mechanics and irritating objectives are even more over done in a blatantly lazy design choice. Add in the slow and un-responsive AI and reviving mechanic and it just adds to the frustration (it works much better for co-op than solo to be fair).

However with all of that said, the single most disappointing thing about the Halo 5 campaign? All of the hype, all of the marketing, all pre-release indications to sell the game's story upon release...HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAME. The rivalry and contempt expressed between the Chief and Locke? Only a major factor in HALF OF ONE MISSION. What happened to "hunting the truth"? The majority of the game consists of Locke and Osiris Team trying to save Chief! And worst of all a choice driven decision based campaign with branching missions would not only have been AWESOME, but it was both hinted at and expected based on pre release marketing. I mean can we be serious 343?

It really seems as if I played a different game than what was advertised over the past 6 months and I am severely disappointed...both as a customer and Halo fan.
I completely agree with you, they hyped the campaign so much to the point where maybe, just maybe, they over did it and, as a consequence, we were expecting too much.
I agree, the marketing for Halo 5 was totally misleading with what we actually got. Borderline false advertising!
A lot of the bits we saw in the advertising will no doubt come into play more in the extended fiction (mc being dead, ONI craziness etc.)

In an age where trailers for most games give away the entire plot, I'm pretty happy with the misdirection used in the ad-campaign. We all knew the rivalry wouldn't amount to anything anyway so I'd rather get it out of the way and focus on the real threat(s) than waste a whole game making it the focus.
THANK YOU! The marketing could have been an entirely different franchise than what 343 actually gave us!
A lot of the bits we saw in the advertising will no doubt come into play more in the extended fiction (mc being dead, ONI craziness etc.)

In an age where trailers for most games give away the entire plot, I'm pretty happy with the misdirection used in the ad-campaign. We all knew the rivalry wouldn't amount to anything anyway so I'd rather get it out of the way and focus on the real threat(s) than waste a whole game making it the focus.
The rivalry between Locke and Chief would have actually made a GOOD game and a interesting plot. Instead as a antagonist we got a angry robot with half a dozen identical boss fights.
I am liking everything about Halo 5. Try not to think of this as a ruminant of the what once was, but rather the first step towards a new horizon with glorious potential. Though some of the old needs to come back.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's been an ONI AI that has been keeping things moving for them for as long as they have gone and with Cortana doing what she does, we're sure to see more from it in 6.
I expected nothing less. Marketing does this for heaps of things, especially in entertainment. It's to be expected. The campaign is enjoyable as helll but it is a bit of a disapointment.
Spoiler:
Show
hy23hec wrote:
I completely agree with you, they hyped the campaign so much to the point where maybe, just maybe, they over did it and, as a consequence, we were expecting too much.
Agreed
Halo marketing has always been like this. Do you remember the Master Chief suicide grenade at the top of the hill in Halo 3 marketing? That is just how marketing works. Same will happen with Halo 6.
Chanzillla wrote:
First and foremost it just needs to be said that the Halo 5 campaign is just bad, flat out bad. Graphics are decent, cool scenery/scenarios and some half decent dialogue (the plot wasn't terrible in and of itself) but from a game play perspective? Incredibly tedious, repetitive, un-intuitive and dare I say it...BORING. Even compared to other Halo titles (I'm a major Halo fan don't get me wrong) the linear level design, shooting gallery mechanics and irritating objectives are even more over done in a blatantly lazy design choice. Add in the slow and un-responsive AI and reviving mechanic and it just adds to the frustration (it works much better for co-op than solo to be fair).

However with all of that said, the single most disappointing thing about the Halo 5 campaign? All of the hype, all of the marketing, all pre-release indications to sell the game's story upon release...HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAME. The rivalry and contempt expressed between the Chief and Locke? Only a major factor in HALF OF ONE MISSION. What happened to "hunting the truth"? The majority of the game consists of Locke and Osiris Team trying to save Chief! And worst of all a choice driven decision based campaign with branching missions would not only have been AWESOME, but it was both hinted at and expected based on pre release marketing. I mean can we be serious 343?

It really seems as if I played a different game than what was advertised over the past 6 months and I am severely disappointed...both as a customer and Halo fan.
1.) hunting the truth refers to an episodic audiobook-style story that ties into h5 and is still ongoing. nothing happened to it. look it up on soundcloud
2.) least linear campaign ever, so many alternate paths and hidden power weapons along with intel off the beaten path
3.) all of the marketing revolved around these seismic calamities around the galaxy (cortana's guardians), locke's pursuit of chief (chief went awol to find cortana)
Therefore, how can one say those things were not explored and expanded during campaign?
4.) hope this helps

amen!
Chanzillla wrote:

The rivalry between Locke and Chief would have actually made a GOOD game and a interesting plot. Instead as a antagonist we got a angry robot with half a dozen identical boss fights.
Cortana is not a robot! :(
The marketing was misleading, but it's looking like a lot of the marketing, including the 2013 teaser, takes place after Halo 5. As far as the campaign, I like it a lot. Not sure why people are complaining.