Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Microphone/Communication

OP JeoJetson413

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Why don’t people use mics in this game. Communication is an integral part to Halo
There could be numerous reasons why people don't use their mic in a game. I'd say it's only integral if winning is a high priority to you. For example, I would be more likely to communicate in a ranked game over a social one. As always, you need to play in a party if you want guaranteed communication.
Some people just mute themselves to concentrate, or their old headset got broken (and they don't feel like buying a new one soon). Or it could simply be that they don't have a headset at all.
I've never been comfortable talking to strangers during games. Always felt weird to me. I don't really even understand why one is needed - I'm not going to do what some person tells me to do anyway. Who would do that - I play how I want. I even have one of those expensive Astro headsets, but I never use it.
Why don’t people use mics in this game. Communication is an integral part to Halo
Chances are I'm in a party talking to someone else, usually for the explicit purpose of avoiding other people.
Toxic people with mics were more common a few years ago and may be a reason for why most people don't use mics anymore. (people to scream and yell profanity every few seconds at players). I usually stay quiet because speaking while gaming does not mix well in my experience.
Usually if I don't use a mic it's because some dude had a fan blowing into his mic, dogs barking in the background, or was eating a bag of chips with the microphone shoved halfway down his throat. It's easier just to mute all rather than figuring out who is actually the culprit.

Besides that, I've found that the overwhelming majority of people in this game don't call out or are in party chat, and when they do it really doesn't make a difference.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
There could be numerous reasons why people don't use their mic in a game. I'd say it's only integral if winning is a high priority to you. For example, I would be more likely to communicate in a ranked game over a social one. As always, you need to play in a party if you want guaranteed communication.
Yeah I primarily mean ranked. I play HCS which is competitive settings and people barely have microphones
psi5000 wrote:
I've never been comfortable talking to strangers during games. Always felt weird to me. I don't really even understand why one is needed - I'm not going to do what some person tells me to do anyway. Who would do that - I play how I want. I even have one of those expensive Astro headsets, but I never use it.
Sorry to say but that’s pretty silly. Your teammates can tell you information that you wouldn’t know otherwise for instance there is a guy in blue base with scattershot camo will be back at :43. One shot red nest. Communication allows you to coordinate your efforts and actually utilize your teammates I really don’t get it if you don’t want to play with a team why not just do free-for-all?
The biggest reason is because 343 made it impossible to see who was being a yoink on the mic in the lobby so you would have to mute all then when the game started have to try and unmute players on your team only you find the yoink again then remute... Became a hassle so most just stopped using them. Primarily why I stopped that and because my mic broke and didn't see why I should replace it since majority stopped using them.
One reason is because people can be jerks. I joined a match on construct in halo 3 and got cussed out because I did not know which hallway was open purple when all the kid had to say was the one with the ramp. Other reason screaming kid and loud music. Last reason is because no one really used him for call outs.
It is one of the weirdest things looking back to say halo 3 where the lobbies were full of mic all the time it was awesome. It’s just that party is so big now on Xbox so everyone is on that if they have a mic for the most part.
LethalQ wrote:
The biggest reason is because 343 made it impossible to see who was being a yoink on the mic in the lobby so you would have to mute all then when the game started have to try and unmute players on your team only you find the yoink again then remute... Became a hassle so most just stopped using them. Primarily why I stopped that and because my mic broke and didn't see why I should replace it since majority stopped using them.
Yeah I definitely agree with the pregame lobby you can’t see who is on your team what their screen names or what their ranks are none of that just an emblem it makes it seem static without names flashing it really doesn’t register that there are actual people and who is who .
It is one of the weirdest things looking back to say halo 3 where the lobbies were full of mic all the time it was awesome. It’s just that party is so big now on Xbox so everyone is on that if they have a mic for the most part.
Yeah halo 3 was really good when it comes to the pregame lobby.
BIGB EC wrote:
One reason is because people can be jerks. I joined a match on construct in halo 3 and got cussed out because I did not know which hallway was open purple when all the kid had to say was the one with the ramp. Other reason screaming kid and loud music. Last reason is because no one really used him for call outs.
Not saying that people should be jerks but there is always the mute function. The percentage of people who are jerks like that or who have loud music or fans going on in the background has to be way smaller than the amount of people who just are trying to play so to not even communicate because of a smaller minority sounds extreme to me.
I use to use my mic more but I don't use it as much since it got to the point that even my own teammates where telling me to shut up while trying to use callouts and alerts as to where the enemies were in SWAT.
I usually don't use a mic unless I'm playing with people I know. I play to relax, and calling out everything going on in the game is not relaxing to me
I'd say it's because the game is 3 yrs old now, and there won't be any more content releases like new maps. So there isn't really a need to talk. Everyone is pretty familiar with maps and the best strategy for each, especially for WZ. Plus others may be in a party, chatting with their mates. Which makes it even quieter if you're playing solo.
No one talks to me, so I dont talk to them. Sometimes I try but usually its just a silent field of white noise.
And on the off chance I do hear someone talking back, its almost always in Spanish.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Some people just don’t use there mic because they don’t want to talk to trolls
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2