Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Microtransactions are gambling for kids

OP r0b0wnz

here is a post I found on bungie.net which hits the spot for me. Btw its funny how this game is rated t now and they started doing these microtransactions right? the bold writing is me

There's not a lot of things I agree with when it comes to Kanye, but he makes a very relevant and a very REAL point.

Lets not beat around the bush here. We know that a vast number of the destiny player base is young kids and teens. Destiny is rated Teen. COD is 18+ yet we know young kids make a huge demographic of that game. Destiny is a game arguably made for a younger audience in mind. (simple mission structures, simple story, non competitive pvp, marketing, incredibly addictive gameplay etc)- LIKE HALO 5 RIGHT???

Conservatively ages between 9-17 I would say represent the largest player base demographic. (conservatively) This also takes into account hours available to play. The average 18-30 year old won't play the amount of hours, due to job, college etc -LIKE HALO 5 RIGHT???

Well below the legal age of consent, drinking/overall drug use and most importantly gambling

Bungie/activision know this. 343 KNOWS THIS TOO

I find it sick that gaming has become an industry where it is acceptable to peddle gambling into the innocent and unsuspecting youth. To get them suckered into a system that they don't realize is taking advantage of them. There is a reason why gambling and drinking/drugs are restricted by law until the ages 18-21 depending where you live. It is because those things are addictive and can destroy your life if you are not mature enough. Many fall to these vices no matter their age.

FIFA-COD all these games use rng micro-transactions that are mathematically and psychologically implemented to foster a never ending cycle of gambling that can lead to addiction. To an unsuspecting mind of a young kid, who is pressured to get that new gun, shader or emote because all his/her friends have it; will fall into the cycle easily. We all know the process because we have been through it ourselves.

Destiny is at the precipice of following suit. HALO 5 IS ALREADY FOLLOWING SUIT...

It is child abuse.

If I ever caught a drug dealer giving drugs to a kid I would get sent to jail for what I would do to that person. It is wrong. It is not ethical. There is a reason we have laws to protect kids. It should be illegal for games played by kids to implement gambling simulators, using psychological warfare to manipulate to hustle these kids out of their parents money.

When it takes someone like Kanye to call this bs out, you know the industry is f*cking disgraceful. Where are all the GAMING JOURNALISTS? Why are they not taking Activision, EA to task,343??

There is a vocal minority in gaming that sees what micro-transactions really are. We try and spread information and warn people yet are routinely mocked and dismissed. We know that not only is it anti consumer, it is fundamentally taking advantage of gullible children and teens to make money.

I would argue the whole concept/backbone of destiny is a glorified RNG slot machine purposefully designed around addictive gameplay that uses number of hours played to dictated reward. This along with over priced dlc was bad. What is stopping them from going to the next logical progression. Why not rng engram micro-transactions?

Somehow we gamers, under our watch have let our beloved hobby of gaming to degenerate into this. Shame.

This is a disgusting practice that preys on kids.

It is sick and immoral.

https://www.bungie.net/ru/Forum/Post/161843050/0/0/1
Analysis: Children gambling is legal in countries outside of the USA.
Conjecture: It teaches children not to waste money if they cannot afford to lose it.
Conclusion: Thread discussion may resume.
its not gambling. gambling offers you the chance to make money. this is a tax on stupid. you can get the packs by playing the game, but the lazy people in the community will buy what can be earned for free. you know what they say about a fool and his money............
its not gambling. gambling offers you the chance to make money. this is a tax on stupid. you can get the packs by playing the game, but the lazy people in the community will buy what can be earned for free. you know what they say about a fool and his money............
BAM! There it is! :)
let me ask, are you from the US ?
The micro transactions is the equivalent of buying a pokemon/magic card pack. Not really gambling.
You know what gambling actually is right?
ChieftaiNZ wrote:
verb(usedwithoutobject),gambled,gambling.
to play at any game of chance for money or other stakes.
to stake or risk money,or anything of value,on the out come of some thing involving chance:
to gamble on a toss of the dice.

it is the whole premise they use an addiction to take money from kids/adults that's all this game is the main new features all revolve around warzone and its req packs. The game is just a huge cashin because they know people love the halo series. I don't understand how this game was under development for 3 or so years and we don't have basic gamemodes and tons of content removed. the whole we give you the micros so you get free maps is nonsense its a ploy so they can nickel and dime people and make way more money off an addiction thn they wld have with dlc.
r0b0wnz wrote:
ChieftaiNZ wrote:
to stake or risk money,or anything of value,on the out come of some thing involving chance:

it is the whole premise they use an addiction to take money from kids/adults that's all this game is the main new features all revolve around warzone and its req packs. The game is just a huge cashin because they know people love the halo series. I don't understand how this game was under development for 3 or so years and we don't have basic gamemodes and tons of content removed. the whole we give you the micros so you get free maps is nonsense its a ploy so they can nickel and dime people and make way more money off an addiction thn they wld have with dlc.
Request: Please read the other responses to your thread.
The micro transactions is the equivalent of buying a pokemon/magic card pack. Not really gambling.
Going to quote this because it's the hard truth.
r0b0wnz wrote:
ChieftaiNZ wrote:

In that case gumball machines are a form of gambling because you might not get the color of gumball you want. When you buy req packs you pay for the req cards in them by your logic everything you can buy is gambling, let's ban everything from the U.S. You buy a car there is a chance it could break down on you. You don't want that outcome but you still payed for the car. If you buy req packs you might not get what you want but you paid for the req cards. Gambling implies the chance of not getting anything and with microtransaction you still get something (Unless the game crashes on you in which it is a technical difficulty) and thus is not gambling. If anything all of those prize grabbing machines are gambling.