1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
If I recall correctly, EA announced that over the course of the last fiscal year, they managed to make USD$1.3 billion off of all of their microtransactions. Activision/Blizzard announced that Overwatch *by itself* made them USD$1 billion. A relatively well-known game industry analyst named Daniel Ahmad tweeted today about a video that his fellow analyst Michael Pachter made. In it, Pachter discussed how Halo 5's microtransactions made 343i more money than all of the previous games' did. Not combined, but still much more than prior games' DLC packs earned them. The free content got people to stick around for longer, and people therefore spent more money on REQ Packs.

Look, free DLC and microtransactions that support them are now paying the bills and then some for big-name game companies. I don't think Halo is going to be getting rid of them anytime soon. If they did, the evidence shows that they'd be shooting themselves in the foot financially.
Honestly don't mind the microtransactions in this game at all. There's no paying to win at all and you can still get all 3 level packs generally easily without any money spent. This is soooo much better than having to pay $15 for a DLC map pack, how can you complain?
ronnie42 wrote:
The problem I see is that the current microtransaction system "paying for DLC" is likely a means to ease us into the less palatable situation of paying for the game, MTs, AND DLC. Just look at Halo Wars 2. Why aren't those microtransactions paying for DLC?
This is a GREAT point.

EDIT: If the main line Halo games ever do this kind of thing I think that I might be out. I don't think that mt are necessarily a bad thing, it's just how 343i implemented them. If they took a Overwatch style, cosmetic only, lootbox system I'd be fine with it, duplicate items and all.
343i just needs to stay away from it. If things like Armour becomes a spam of 'duplicated' items then the joy of getting anything will be longer, frustrating and will kill any interest in trying to unlock anything, it's part of the reason I'm less interested in going anywhere near Overwatch since if it has that system then it sounds awful to me because opening box's should never be the sole focus of playing for the sake of playing.

Mostly sick of loot-box's being used against people for Cosmetic's that some people try to deem not as important then claiming it's to support some tournament that most people don't care about. I'd rather Micro-transactions be gone forever, if this was any other franchise bulling this stunt...then I'd have probably stopped buying the later games.
I like Overwatch's system because still allows you to get what you want. Duplicate items give you currency that you can save up and buy whatever you want with.

It's kinda old at this point, but there was an idea floating around here a while ago to have base armor achievable in game, with armor skin variants, weapon skins, arbor effects, stances, assassinations, ext. all only available through a mt system. A combo of Halo 3/Halo 4 and what we have now. If Overwatch's lootbox system was the mt system used it would be much better than REQ packs. You would actually be able to get what you want instead of relying 100% on RNG. Best of both worlds.
Here's my unpopular opinion. Its fantastic that the player base is not divided with all these free updates, and I think– from a business standpoint– its great that the MT model is making 343 more money than paid DLC; what AAA company wouldn't love extra money from these people that love and can pay for MT? But I can guarantee that most Halo veterans will agree that the quality of paid DLC maps is much better than these "free" DLC maps that we are getting now. The old paid DLC model needed to change, it just split the community up for those that couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for the new maps. But at least every map in those paid DLC maps felt unique and not just a bunch of rehashed assets, and that's where the value in paying those $10-$15 comes from. I'm in the minority here, but I preferred paying for maps I knew that were going to be high quality. If we can align the MT/free update model to achieve the same quality of maps that we used to get when they were Paid DLC, then I will applaud 343.
An article was published yesterday stating that mt generated more money than DLC and there were increases in population with mt vs decreases with DLC. Halo 5 Microtransactions Brought More Money In 6 Months Than Previous Games’ DLC; Player Base Also Higher Than Before. As this will certainly mean mt will be in future Halo's I hope they find a better balance between mt and commendation rewards.
Where are the dev made maps though? Nobody wants 80 warthog variants or ugly helmets
Here's my unpopular opinion. Its fantastic that the player base is not divided with all these free updates, and I think– from a business standpoint– its great that the MT model is making 343 more money than paid DLC; what AAA company wouldn't love extra money from these people that love and can pay for MT? But I can guarantee that most Halo veterans will agree that the quality of paid DLC maps is much better than these "free" DLC maps that we are getting now. The old paid DLC model needed to change, it just split the community up for those that couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for the new maps. But at least every map in those paid DLC maps felt unique and not just a bunch of rehashed assets, and that's where the value in paying those $10-$15 comes from. I'm in the minority here, but I preferred paying for maps I knew that were going to be high quality. If we can align the MT/free update model to achieve the same quality of maps that we used to get when they were Paid DLC, then I will applaud 343.
Exactly,these maps as they call them are ugly and lazily made
ronnie42 wrote:
The problem I see is that the current microtransaction system "paying for DLC" is likely a means to ease us into the less palatable situation of paying for the game, MTs, AND DLC. Just look at Halo Wars 2. Why aren't those microtransactions paying for DLC?
I like Overwatch's system because still allows you to get what you want. Duplicate items give you currency that you can save up and buy whatever you want with.

It's kinda old at this point, but there was an idea floating around here a while ago to have base armor achievable in game, with armor skin variants, weapon skins, arbor effects, stances, assassinations, ext. all only available through a mt system. A combo of Halo 3/Halo 4 and what we have now. If Overwatch's lootbox system was the mt system used it would be much better than REQ packs. You would actually be able to get what you want instead of relying 100% on RNG. Best of both worlds.
Except that type of system is worthless to me, literally no reason to get people hyped about people earning an armour, it's bad enough with things like Achilles where instead of earning by skill...it just becomes another excuse to grind away at repetitive tasks to get something. Achilles is practically worthless, is mostly used to 'boost' about it because it took a while instead of how difficult it might have been.

At this point I can't see how turning games into farming for items...can be seen as best of both worlds when there's literally nothing fun about wasting countless hours on a skin, then to either be given the same item instead of finding the one you want or to spent months getting something through grinding just for them to give it away like the Mark IV. It's not only disappointing but infuriating. It's part of the reason why I just can't be bothered playing much of Gears 4 because I hate the Card/ReQ system that is plaguing modern games, I'm mostly tolerating it in H5 due to the Halo IP and I strongly believe micro-transactions is toxic to the Halo IP.

I still remember the day when Halo was pretty popular, it got people earning armours by playing the game due to the Vidmasters which were fun, actually worth getting the community involved.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Except that type of system is worthless to me, literally no reason to get people hyped about people earning an armour, it's bad enough with things like Achilles where instead of earning by skill...it just becomes another excuse to grind away at repetitive tasks to get something. Achilles is practically worthless, is mostly used to 'boost' about it because it took a while instead of how difficult it might have been.

At this point I can't see how turning games into farming for items...can be seen as best of both worlds when there's literally nothing fun about wasting countless hours on a skin, then to either be given the same item instead of finding the one you want or to spent months getting something through grinding just for them to give it away like the Mark IV. It's not only disappointing but infuriating. It's part of the reason why I just can't be bothered playing much of Gears 4 because I hate the Card/ReQ system that is plaguing modern games, I'm mostly tolerating it in H5 due to the Halo IP and I strongly believe micro-transactions is toxic to the Halo IP.

I still remember the day when Halo was pretty popular, it got people earning armours by playing the game due to the Vidmasters which were fun, actually worth getting the community involved.
The base armor set should be earned in game, with only skins and other cosmetic stuff "earned" in lootbox/REQ packs. That's what I was saying.

We have to find a middle ground, ideally, I agree, we don't have a mt system at all. But ideally the game is also free and it has years of free dlc too. That's never going to happen obviously. Mts with free DLC is better than map packs. It keeps the community together and gives reasons for people to keep coming back to the game. We should be trying to find the best mt system for Halo. REQ packs aren't the answer. Splitting the community up with Warzone isn't the answer. I think that a Overwatch style Lootbox system is the way to go. It's not 100% RNG, and if, like I said, it was only for skins, with base armor sets being earned in game through achievements, commendations, or whatever, I think it would be best.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
The base armor set should be earned in game, with only skins and other cosmetic stuff "earned" in lootbox/REQ packs. That's what I was saying.

We have to find a middle ground, ideally, I agree, we don't have a mt system at all. But ideally the game is also free and it has years of free dlc too. That's never going to happen obviously. Mts with free DLC is better than map packs. It keeps the community together and gives reasons for people to keep coming back to the game. We should be trying to find the best mt system for Halo. REQ packs aren't the answer. Splitting the community up with Warzone isn't the answer. I think that a Overwatch style Lootbox system is the way to go. It's not 100% RNG, and if, like I said, it was only for skins, with base armor sets being earned in game through achievements, commendations, or whatever, I think it would be best.
As far as I'm concerned if I'm paying full price for the game then I should be able to earn everything within the game without restrictions by earning them. There's really not a middle ground or 343i wouldn't be able to make money off the micro-transactions. Also I found it quite irritating that they recycled content as free dlc while playlists like BTB got nothing and even then a majority of the content is made by the community, not 343i.

I doubt that the updates is keeping the community together in the long term since it's more likely to be keeping them due to the short term for publicity then the population drops again. Either way skins, armour are just as important as every other element of the game, kind of irritating when people class them as non-important cosmetics just because some don't care...just so they find an excuse for 343i to charge for them.
MTs are here to stay whether we like them or not. The issue here is implementation. I'm happy to spend a few bucks here and there on a game like Titanfall 2 because the MT system is something you have to navigate to and isn't tied to the game in any way.

The REQ system is frustrating on many levels and is more akin to the type of MT system you'd expect in a F2P game. Even if you never spend a dime you're forced to view the paid packs whenever you buy REQ packs with points. The RNG nature of the packs and the happy noises/sparkly confetti explosions when you open them are obviously there for the same reason they're featured in slot machines. The REQ system is bloated with minor variations of armors, helmets, visors and vehicles (and -Yoinking!- emblems!). If you're not a WZ player most of what you get from REQ packs is useless and if you want to sell the weapons, vehicles, power-ups and boosts in game enjoy doing it one at a time. The whole system feels built to coerce/exploit the player-base; who, by the way bought this game under some pretty false pretenses to begin with.

The amount of content that we got as free DLC consisted largely of game-modes that were staple modes expected at launch. Most of the "new" maps were remixes or player made. The players complained about Palmer so they created the Voices of War pack knowing full well that many would pay the $10 just to not be forced to hear her in WZ. Yes I realize the voice actors get paid, but with the money they made from all the prior REQ pack sales it would have been the right move to at the very least release one of the three new voices for free as an alternate to Palmer. Oh hey and bonus, the VoW breaks WZ for a good amount of players and forces them to go back to Palmer anyway.

There are ways to exploit the REQ system as well. For example if I roll a new account and buy one of the Mythic certs then the number of those Mythics I'm going to receive from that point on is going to be far more than I'll get after having gone through the normal progression since the odds are very slim that I'd get those certs until I'm pretty far into the REQ pool.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned if I'm paying full price for the game then I should be able to earn everything within the game without restrictions by earning them. There's really not a middle ground or 343i wouldn't be able to make money off the micro-transactions. Also I found it quite irritating that they recycled content as free dlc while playlists like BTB got nothing and even then a majority of the content is made by the community, not 343i.

I doubt that the updates is keeping the community together in the long term since it's more likely to be keeping them due to the short term for publicity then the population drops again. Either way skins, armour are just as important as every other element of the game, kind of irritating when people class them as non-important cosmetics just because some don't care...just so they can an excuse for 343i to charge for them.
I agree with you on the recycled maps completely, the Halo 5 remix system isn't great. But I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Free maps are better than splitting up the community. Funny thing is though, 343i did split up the community with how they handled the Arena/Warzone split. Halo 6 can't do that, and they should just focus on Arena. Warzone shouldn't return, or at least not how it exists now.

Long term it keeps more people together due to the fact that it isn't activity splitting up the community like map packs do. Every time a map pack was released it split off part of the community. Mandatory updates keep everyone together.

And it's not like the skins would be hidden behind a paywall. You can still play the game and unlock everything eventually. This system would give you goals to grind for though, unlike the REQ system, and base armors being earned in game would bring back the status symbol that they used to be. It's quite literally a best of all worlds situation.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
I agree with you on the recycled maps completely, the Halo 5 remix system isn't great. But I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Free maps are better than splitting up the community. Funny thing is though, 343i did split up the community with how they handled the Arena/Warzone split. Halo 6 can't do that, and they should just focus on Arena. Warzone shouldn't return, or at least not how it exists now.

Long term it keeps more people together due to the fact that it isn't activity splitting up the community like map packs do. Every time a map pack was released it split off part of the community. Mandatory updates keep everyone together.

And it's not like the skins would be hidden behind a paywall. You can still play the game and unlock everything eventually. This system would give you goals to grind for though, unlike the REQ system, and base armors being earned in game would bring back the status symbol that they used to be. It's quite literally a best of all worlds situation.
Except the community is already split, since Reach...forge maps have been over-saturated in modern Halo games, general population of people playing has dropped drastically.

Warzone is ok but rather see BTB with AI instead of the P2W model that Warzone is over-saturated with and is most likely why we never got a proper firefight mode. Map packs always came out but it never really split the community much...Halo 2,3 did pretty strong online even with dlc. The problem was with later games was finding maps with players that owned them.

The game does give goals to do before getting to armours via commendations and daily challenges, yet it doesn't make the farming any less irritating to get anything done. Also some skins are behind a paywall, are locked out. Having a hard time understanding how making a game about grinding everything is somehow 'best of all worlds' when there is no benefit whatsoever to micro-transactions.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Except the community is already split, since Reach...forge maps have been over-saturated in modern Halo games, general population of people playing has dropped drastically.

Warzone is ok but rather see BTB with AI instead of the P2W model that Warzone is over-saturated with and is most likely why we never got a proper firefight mode. Map packs always came out but it never really split the community much...Halo 2,3 did pretty strong online even with dlc. The problem was with later games was finding maps with players that owned them.

The game does give goals to do before getting to armours via commendations and daily challenges, yet it doesn't make the farming any less irritating to get anything done. Also some skins are behind a paywall, are locked out. Having a hard time understanding how making a game about grinding everything is somehow 'best of all worlds' when there is no benefit whatsoever to micro-transactions.
Do you understand why it was harder to find matches on DLC maps? It's becasue not everyone buys the map packs, so they (the developer) have to either make them required, which scares people away, or not make them required, which means that your $10 or $15 or whatever is basically wasted becasue you will almost never get a full lobby of people that have all the maps. The other solution is create separate playlists, one for people that do have the map packs, and one for people that don't. Literally splitting the community. Map packs are not good for the player base. They either scare people away, take your money without really giving you anything, or directly split the player base up.

I don't understand what you want exactly I guess. What system would you prefer? Halo 3? Halo: Reach? Halo 4? A hybrid? What? There has always been an aspect of grinding or farming, even without microtransactions, so I don't really understand your complaint about grinding. Sure, not everything was grinding, and with my proposed system it wouldn't be 100% about grinding either. That's the beauty of it.

I've said to you that with my proposed system (I don't like calling it mine, many people have had similar ideas) you wouldn't have to spend any money if you didn't want to, there would still be armor to earn the old fashioned way (when I say old fashioned way I mean you earn it. Whether that be through in game accomplishments, achievements, or commendations. Ideally a combination of all of the above.), and you would get some amount of choice in what you get through lootboxes. If you don't know how Overwatch's lootbox system works, basically, every time you open a pack, if you get a duplicate item it is turned into a currency that you can directly spend on whatever you want. This way you don't have to grind with no end in sight. There is an end goal, which is the problem with the REQ system, there isn't one. And with it only being variations of base armors (remember, all base armor would be achievable in game) you would still be able to have the status symbol aspect of the armor.

If microtransactions are required to allow free updates to the game, then that kind of system seems best to me. It would be 10x better than the current REQ system, and feel more rewarding.
Personally, I really 343's approach then in any other game featuring DLC/MT. I have thoroughly enjoyed Halo 5 and it was very nice not having to pay for the DLC. I personally never bought any REQs with actual money so it never bothered me as much. I do agree that it is lame to have to pay for an RNG cosmetic. I think if you are paying actual money then you should be able to pick a specific unlock as opposed to a random one. Or maybe have tiers, making the RNG ones super cheap and specific ones a little more.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Do you understand why it was harder to find matches on DLC maps? It's becasue not everyone buys the map packs, so they (the developer) have to either make them required, which scares people away, or not make them required, which means that your $10 or $15 or whatever is basically wasted becasue you will almost never get a full lobby of people that have all the maps. The other solution is create separate playlists, one for people that do have the map packs, and one for people that don't. Literally splitting the community. Map packs are not good for the player base. They either scare people away, take your money without really giving you anything, or directly split the player base up.

I don't understand what you want exactly I guess. What system would you prefer? Halo 3? Halo: Reach? Halo 4? A hybrid? What? There has always been an aspect of grinding or farming, even without microtransactions, so I don't really understand your complaint about grinding. Sure, not everything was grinding, and with my proposed system it wouldn't be 100% about grinding either. That's the beauty of it.

I've said to you that with my proposed system (I don't like calling it mine, many people have had similar ideas) you wouldn't have to spend any money if you didn't want to, there would still be armor to earn the old fashioned way (when I say old fashioned way I mean you earn it. Whether that be through in game accomplishments, achievements, or commendations. Ideally a combination of all of the above.), and you would get some amount of choice in what you get through lootboxes. If you don't know how Overwatch's lootbox system works, basically, every time you open a pack, if you get a duplicate item it is turned into a currency that you can directly spend on whatever you want. This way you don't have to grind with no end in sight. There is an end goal, which is the problem with the REQ system, there isn't one. And with it only being variations of base armors (remember, all base armor would be achievable in game) you would still be able to have the status symbol aspect of the armor.

If microtransactions are required to allow free updates to the game, then that kind of system seems best to me. It would be 10x better than the current REQ system, and feel more rewarding.
Yes I know not everyone bought all the dlc maps. Don't recall ever having this issue in games like Battlefield. Of course it wouldn't need to be required...you would just need to set a filter to find games with maps including or not...either way it was better than just playing forge maps 24/7

Personally would rather have an unlock similar to H2/3 but even Reach's unlock system was better than 5 because Reach let me buy what I wanted with the credits instead of the useless lottery system. Grinding for unlocks was never this bad until Reach came out. I don't see how any unlock system would ever be approved without forcing endless grinding for items. People have said this before that nobody has to 'spend money' but it indirectly affects everything, kills the fun of unlocking anything and it makes it feel more like a job to unlock anything these days.

I'm familiar with the type of unlock system your referring to but to make it 'profitable' any items worth buying would be expensive, still lead to more grinding. Free updates should never be something that we should just be thankful for...when the dev's have left it in such a broken state for so long, marking other peoples work as free content when the community has done a majority of the work...is depressing.

I'm literally straight out sick of opening endless packs to go to some pointless store to spend another 10 minutes of selling junk to unlock a few items that should have been unlocked automatically. This is exactly why I've started to completely hate mobile gaming and it's just insulting for them to put them into game that we paid for then the delayed content is marketed as free dlc...when it's painfully clear that a majority of the content was with-held like forge since a majority of the maps wouldn't even work without forge or massive war-zone maps that was literally just copied into the other maps with little change.
This is a GREAT point.

EDIT: If the main line Halo games ever do this kind of thing I think that I might be out. I don't think that mt are necessarily a bad thing, it's just how 343i implemented them. If they took a Overwatch style, cosmetic only, lootbox system I'd be fine with it, duplicate items and all.
I will be very surprised if Halo 6 doesn't have microtransactions AND paid DLC, but hopefully 343 will surprise me and you won't have to quit the series.
What I want in any future monetization model for Halo is for the majority of the armor, 85-90%, to NOT be tied to Commendations/Achievements/Challenges. I want to play whatever gametype I want to unlock the armor I want. Forcing people to play a gametype/use a weapon or vehicle they hate because "Suck it up and EARN your armor, bro!" is stupid and would cause its fair share of losses because Player X keeps hogging the Sniper Rifle and Player Y needs to run over people with the Mongoose. Or if somebody who's never played CTF before goes into a game and costs their team the win because they bum-rushed the flag or even betrayed their teammates since Z amount of flag captures gets you a sweet helmet. I guarantee you that if Overwatch tied a bunch of skins to achievements rather than tying sprays to achievements, the few weeks, maybe even months after launch would have been a rough time.

Also, look at how the Achilles armor almost ruined an entire game mode. Do people really want that spread out across the whole game? The only variables that should be relevant to armor unlocks are the amount of time you spend playing the game, or the amount of money you have. I'm perfectly fine with people being able to buy armor outright with cash. However, given the success of Overwatch's model and Halo 5's REQ system, it's likely that Halo 6 will use their loot box model, or a hybrid of 5 and Overwatch, which would honestly be A-OK with me.
In a perfect world, I like neither paid DLC OR microtransactions.

But, if I have to pick between one or the other - and in the modern gaming business you pretty much do - I agree with OP, I choose the microtransactions.
The problem is not the DLC or the micro transactions but the inability of 343 to support the game. A lot of people buy packs, but 343 the only they cared about of adding REQ packs plus they added a lot of problems that they made the game unplayable. Maybe micro transactions are more profitable but still 343 won't fix the game and when they see the sales of next Halo even lower they will start saying the same " We learned a lesson ...". Micro transactions or DLC exists to help the game be a better experience but not in Halo 5 because they made it worst.
Anyone played Battlefield 1? They hit us over the
head for everything.$60 for the DLC and expensive microtransactions.I think Halo does it correctly
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6