[Locked] My argument for why Sprint belongs in Halo

OP The Kishinev

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
To start off, I'm not here to flame anybody or to insult anyone's opinion on the matter. I just want to share my reasons for why sprint isn't a completely bad thing for Halo.

Like many have said, there never has been much of a counter argument that's in favor of sprint. The reason for this is because you are all mostly right about it. For 4v4 on small maps, sprint just really isn't necessary. It doesn't completely break 4v4 Slayer, but it doesn't work perfectly for it either. If Halo was purely an arena shooter, then I would agree that adding sprint would just be a gimmick, creating more problems than it's really worth.

But Halo isn't just an arena shooter. There is so much more to these games. The game can't just be completely designed around one of its many gameplay experiences. It has to find a healthy balance that will work in the entire game. You have to consider the whole package. We all can agree on that, right? Campaign and Big Team Battle are what I'm talking about mostly here. There is no problem at all with being able to sprint in Campaign which is an enormous chunk of what Halo has to offer. Sprint does nothing but enrich the Campaign experience. There is no problem with sprinting in BTB either. Who wants to jog across huge maps? Adding in vehicles helps, but it doesn't solve the main problem. In Halo you move slow as balls. That's a serious problem when you have huge maps, especially in this day and age.

Sprint got the nerf bat and it helps, no longer can players run around like chickens with their head cut off, with no real punishment. It's still not perfect for 4v4, but it works. People are enjoying it and it helps improve the other modes. A lot of people say that sprint isn't actually getting you anywhere faster. I don't think this is necessarily true. Sure, maps grow to compensate but I'm still choosing when I need that boost of speed to make it to cover in time. I'm not saying that the travel time across maps is faster. I'm saying that it adds intensity to the game when I want to get to a specific thing (turret, vehicle, player to assassinate, flag, oddball skull).

Instead of jogging away from gunfire only to be killed because I couldn't make it back to cover in time, I can sprint to said cover. Even if the end result is the same and I still die, it feels like I had more power to do something about it. There were more variables to the situation. It made the game more complex. I'm not saying complex = automatically better. But I am saying that it made the game less predictable. Not more random, less predictable.

In old Halo, gameplay feels very predictable. If you just saw someone at the sniper tower, chances are that he'll still be around for your team to kill him by the time you get there. In Halo 5 if you see someone in a room, he could be completely gone in multiple ways by the time you get there. He could have clambered up a ledge or sprinted and thrustered out of a window. Maybe he just walked out the front door? Did he sprint out or walk out? The difference is huge and creates more variables. The game takes longer to stagnate and becomes harder to guess. There's more for you to think about in encounters. In old Halo you know someone has to have taken a predictable path like a staircase or a door. He only moves at one speed so predicting his location becomes an easier task. The only real way he can surprise you is if he's crouched somewhere waiting to ambush you. Does predicting a player take skill? Maybe, but I'd be more willing to bet that all it takes is experience, not necessarily your skill at the game.

So what do people think? Is this a counter argument that can be taken seriously by the anti-sprint crowd? Let me know what you guys think and please be civil.

We're all fans here. Thanks for reading!
I just can't see anything Sprint does that wouldn't be done better with a faster base movement speed.
I just can't see anything Sprint does that wouldn't be done better with a faster base movement speed.
I see, but would that be a fair translation for Campaign and BTB?
I want to feel like a spartan. I hate reading about the awesomeness of Chief in his 1000lb armor, then you play Halo 3 he practically floats when he jumps, and runs 10mph. I'm glad that 343i have such a passion for Halo that they would finally let us experience playing as true spartans.
I want to feel like a spartan. I hate reading about the awesomeness of Chief in his 1000lb armor, then you play Halo 3 he practically floats when he jumps, and runs 10mph. I'm glad that 343i have such a passion for Halo that they would finally let us experience playing as true spartans.
Yes this is also an important point too.
So sprint is all about #immersion ? I just think that Sprint adds more bad than good. The proper way of doing it would be that Spartans can shoot while sprinting and making it default movement feature. Like in Halo 3 but that you move faster and have running animation with your gun ready and faster movement speed.
Osqutin wrote:
So sprint is all about #immersion ? I just think that Sprint adds more bad than good. The proper way of doing it would be that Spartans can shoot while sprinting and making it default movement feature. Like in Halo 3 but that you move faster and have running animation with your gun ready and faster movement speed.
Immersion wasn't the main thing that I highlighted. If we did it your way then there would truly be no point in adding in sprint. If you're going to have no drawbacks to sprinting then why even have it in the game?
Its only natural to have things like sprint in videogames these days.

Everyone who disagrees needs to leave gaming immediately. You are holding back this industry.
I'm on my phone.

Well, I'd say campaign structure is of big importance regarding wether or not sprint is "desired". Distance between fights, how to get to them and so on. I don't see it being needed in campaign as it can be structured in such a way where you'd hardly sprint, while still allowing breathers.

For BTB I'd say the impact of Sprint is somewhat less severe than on smaller maps, but again those maps can be structured in such a way that allow fast map traversal without the use of vehicles. I for intance would like to see Teleporters made into Portals akin to those in Portal, or have both. Then there are man cannons and shortcuts. Why not add conveyor belts like those on Elognated and Colossus?

Then the variables. First off I'd like to adress your scenarios. I would assume anyone in a sniper tower would stay there because it's often a place of importance, power position if you will. You often have good view and some cover. Compare it to a regular room with many entrances and exits and you do not have an equally good position, I wouldn't expect anyone to stay there. So it doesn't matter as the comparisons aren't actually that equal.

Then about variables, true, the more you have the less predictable it gets, but I would have to disagree on it being a good thing. You cant't have too few variables otherwise it becomes too easy, but too many and you have players guessing instead of making educated predictions. At some point players stop thinking and just go with whatever happens, you may stop chasing players and just run around aimlessly because you can't very well predict their movements as maps and rooms are so "open". Increasing variables will start decreasing their respective value. When you play you yourself want to play unpredictable, the less predictable you make the game the less focus players need to put on being unpredictable, which is a skill of its own. Personally I've had major difficulties playing against new players who are good at moving, aiming and shooting, simply because they aren't familiar with the maps and come from the most unexpected directions.

One last thing, being experienced is part of your skill. It's your gathered knowledge you use in order to maximise your efficiency.

Good effort but I don't really see it changing anything, neither do I think my post will.
I 100% agree with you.

Everyone who disagrees needs to leave gaming immediately. You are holding back this industry.
Anyone who disagrees that the game mechanic is generic and makes it play more similar to other shooters is holding back the industry? Hmmm.

Anyone who disagrees that the game mechanic is generic and makes it play more similar to other shooters is holding back the industry? Hmmm.
"Running is generic"

What do you want then? Rolling?
Naqser wrote:
I'm on my phone.

Well, I'd say campaign structure is of big importance regarding wether or not sprint is "desired". Distance between fights, how to get to them and so on. I don't see it being needed in campaign as it can be structured in such a way where you'd hardly sprint, while still allowing breathers.

For BTB I'd say the impact of Sprint is somewhat less severe than on smaller maps, but again those maps can be structured in such a way that allow fast map traversal without the use of vehicles. I for intance would like to see Teleporters made into Portals akin to those in Portal, or have both. Then there are man cannons and shortcuts. Why not add conveyor belts like those on Elognated and Colossus?

Then the variables. First off I'd like to adress your scenarios. I would assume anyone in a sniper tower would stay there because it's often a place of importance, power position if you will. You often have good view and some cover. Compare it to a regular room with many entrances and exits and you do not have an equally good position, I wouldn't expect anyone to stay there. So it doesn't matter as the comparisons aren't actually that equal.

Then about variables, true, the more you have the less predictable it gets, but I would have to disagree on it being a good thing. You cant't have too few variables otherwise it becomes too easy, but too many and you have players guessing instead of making educated predictions. At some point players stop thinking and just go with whatever happens, you may stop chasing players and just run around aimlessly because you can't very well predict their movements as maps and rooms are so "open". Increasing variables will start decreasing their respective value. When you play you yourself want to play unpredictable, the less predictable you make the game the less focus players need to put on being unpredictable, which is a skill of its own. Personally I've had major difficulties playing against new players who are good at moving, aiming and shooting, simply because they aren't familiar with the maps and come from the most unexpected directions.

One last thing, being experienced is part of your skill. It's your gathered knowledge you use in order to maximise your efficiency.

Good effort but I don't really see it changing anything, neither do I think my post will.
It isn't needed in campaign but it is most certainly welcome. As for BTB, is putting teleporters and mancannons everywhere good game design? It's a solution but it's a bit counter intuitive. Big maps are there to be grand and explored. Putting teleporters everywhere takes you out of that experience and begins to undermine the point of playing on a huge map.

Having a massive amount of variables is not always a good thing, true. But I don't think Halo has too much. A great example of having too many variables is COD. You can boost around with no cooldown, players have any gun they want, an assortment of perks and loadouts that literally change gameplay mechanics. It's a random mess and I didn't get the same feeling playing Halo 5.

Being experienced is a skill I suppose. I feel like it is more comparable to remembering locations on the map and spawn locations though.

"Running is generic"

What do you want then? Rolling?
The only thing rolling is my eyes.
Nice strawman, though.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

I'm for sprint and I don't agree with this. Just putting that out there so no one gets the wrong impression.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

Because what's natural to have in a videogame is far more important than making the game play smoothly and well.

Naah, I'll just move to the part of gaming where that mantra doesn't exist, the indie scene and PC, while I'm at it, I'll continue working on my own games.

I'm for sprint and I don't agree with this. Just putting that out there so no one gets the wrong impression.
Then leave. You are the cancer killing this industry.
You are giving no good reason to add the mechanic other than it's what's popular. We might as well add back personal loadouts with this logic.
Naqser wrote:

Because what's natural to have in a videogame is far more important than making the game play smoothly and well.

Naah, I'll just move to the part of gaming where that mantra doesn't exist, the indie scene and PC, while I'm at it, I'll continue working on my own games.
"I waste money on PC gaming when i could pay less and get a console"

"I also support useless clickbait games that are there just to get a quick buck"

"I am also trying to scam people in the future and make a qucik buck."
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12