1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
I thought I needed it in my halo... but playing halo 2 anniversary has been pretty fun. I like the speed of it surprisingly and thats coming from a firm "I need sprint in my halo" kinda guy

But from what i understand 343 wanted multiplayer to be "canon" so here we are.
In Halo 4, sprint just takes the risk out of rushing a power position. Halo was already a game where you could often times break off an engagement if you were losing & sprint just makes it that much easier. They mitigated that some by making the killtimes faster(aka more like every other shooter) & making it so getting shot slows you down which is basically trying to balance a new mechanic with ANOTHER new mechanic that's quite unnatural & doesn't really make sense.

The whole balance of the game had to be changed to accomodate for sprint. I think Halo 5's sprint is gonna be way better & more balanced than Halo 4's...but I also believe that sprint will always be something that's kind of shoe-horned in...just depends on how good of a job they can do of shoehorning it.

For example, it makes sense to lower kill-times if everyone can sprint....but does that really create a better game or just a game that's more like COD and less like Halo? Did it make the game(GAME....not "combat simulator") better? I don't think it did. I think it made it more like COD- as in everyone is just running around & the outcome of TDM matches is determined by the culmination of a bunch of mostly isolated encounters (COD) rather than 2 teams coordinating to push on eachother for control of power positions (H2, H3)

I still think Halo 5 is gonna be really good and that sprint will be more balanced than Halo 4. We're really never gonna get a game like Halo 2 or 3 again and we just gotta accept that Microsoft Studios are more interested in releasing a game that follows the current trends than releasing a game like the ones they pioneered online console multiplayer with.
For me sprint works since it makes movement more involved and less passive than on previous games. Having normal speed and sprint diversifies general gameplay, having two gears ideal for different situations instead of just one. Even simple moving from point A to point B has some variation and doesn't feel stagnated. Switching gears also gives you sense of speed. #immersion

Sprint isn't objectively good or bad for gameplay, it just makes it different. For example I don't have any problems with larger maps, since to me 4v4 is the least interesting and unoriginal part of Halo. 4v4 on small maps is as generic as online mp gets, and to me that's not where Halo's unique qualities shine through.

While we've only seen arena mp so far, H5 is still being developed singleplayer first and other modes second. No matter which you personally prefer, Halo campaign takes way more time and resources than mp.( Gears of War 3 used 75% of resources for campaign and co-op, rest was used to additional modes like horde and mp)
Majority of design choices are made sp first, mp is just an extension of sp in that regard.
Basically, sprint does hurt 4v4, and smaller gametypes in general.
For me sprint works since it makes movement more involved and less passive than on previous games. Having normal speed and sprint diversifies general gameplay, having two gears ideal for different situations instead of just one. Even simple moving from point A to point B has some variation and doesn't feel stagnated. Switching gears also gives you sense of speed. #immersion

Sprint isn't objectively good or bad for gameplay, it just makes it different. For example I don't have any problems with larger maps, since to me 4v4 is the least interesting and unoriginal part of Halo. 4v4 on small maps is as generic as online mp gets, and to me that's not where Halo's unique qualities shine through.

While we've only seen arena mp so far, H5 is still being developed singleplayer first and other modes second. No matter which you personally prefer, Halo campaign takes way more time and resources than mp.( Gears of War 3 used 75% of resources for campaign and co-op, rest was used to additional modes like horde and mp)
Majority of design choices are made sp first, mp is just an extension of sp in that regard.
Multiplayer is the moat important... H4 had a great campaign, but it is remembered for its multiplayer, not campaign. Yes, there are also many great aspects to halo multiplayer. 4v4 is the most popular though, which brings the emphasis on it.
I want sprint to move from point A to point B faster then I normally would, regardless of map size. Its why I pull out my knife in Counter Strike, its why I rodeo run in Gears, I like having options over how I choose to move.

I LOVE classic Halo. Started on CE, and Halo has been one of my all time favorite FPS games ever sense. But if I could plug a sprint mechanic into Halo CE, I would. Imo, all previous Halo games would benefit from a well-balanced (Halo 5 esque) sprint mechanic.
Seems a little odd that there is still so much controversy over a relatively simple and meaningless game mechanic. They've already increased base movement speed at the request of fans, and sprint is simply there if you need to get somewhere as quickly as possible. It's definitely not game breaking, and I don't think it will detract from what makes Halo a great online game in 4v4 or BTB game types.
DcIhNaGv3z wrote:
I want sprint to move from point A to point B faster then I normally would, regardless of map size. Its why I pull out my knife in Counter Strike, its why I rodeo run in Gears, I want to sprint because I like having options over how I choose to move.

I LOVE classic Halo. Started on CE, and Halo has been one of my all time favorite FPS games ever sense. But if I could plug a sprint mechanic into Halo CE, I would. Imo, all previous Halo games would benefit from a well-balanced (Halo 5 esque) sprint mechanic.
Agreed.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Worked perfectly for breakout in Halo 5 which was 4v4.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Multiplayer is the moat important... H4 had a great campaign, but it is remembered for its multiplayer, not campaign. Yes, there are also many great aspects to halo multiplayer. 4v4 is the most popular though, which brings the emphasis on it.
Multiplayer being more important is an opinion. Campaign taking more time, effort and money to create is a fact. As long as it stays that way, core gameplay design choices are made singleplayer first in mind.

According to population counters BTB is the most popular MP mode whenever it's available, not 4v4.
This is atleast the best attempt at argueing for sprint. However I still disagree.

Sprint disrupts what IMO is the core of Halo: run AND gun gameplay.
Im agree halo is evolving and changing
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Thats because the kill times were really low.
Im agree halo is evolving and changing
But what is it evolving and changing into? I'll give you a hint:
(1st word: attempt to communicate by phone) (2nd word: preposition) (3rd word: Synonym of "job")
This might be a tricky one.
Halo does not need Sprint, Maps used to be to small and Sprint only stresses the stupid teammates more. The majority of the new Halo 3 Players that joined the community with TMCC can't even use the analog sticks properly.
It is very well off, I do very much agree with the last big paragraph it is very well described. But the reason why you don't see a lot of anti sprint posts, is because we already know that in a sense we won. Even with the only 14% of people only wanted sprint completely gone in the surveys that 343i has been doing. And that is a whole argument in itself, but still close to that same number. People are getting what they want.

But I have thrown out many even more in depth reasons why sprint adds to the game, and not so much takes it away. I've debated enough that people don't like arguing with me because I shoot down everyone of their theories. So we move on and get over. As well as the people that is going to complain usually has the biggest mouths, and open them, because they think they have something to say that they think is worth while. And in the end it is usually just a few upset people that feel like they are right.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Breakout also had very fast kill times. Do we seriously want to reduce the kill times in Halo, making it even more like CoD, just so that sprint works better? At a certain point, you're not playing a Halo game with a CoD twist anymore; you're playing a CoD game with a Halo twist.

According to population counters BTB is the most popular MP mode whenever it's available, not 4v4.
That doesn't take into account that all other available playlists tend to be 8-10 players. 16-player playlists tend to only contain maybe 25% of the game's total matchmaking population, even in Xbox 360 Halo 4.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Apparently sprint doesn't hurt 4v4s as much as you want it to, and it must add more to the game that you can't handle. As MLG or HCS any really big gaming competition likes to leave sprint in the game and will keep it in the game for Halo 5. Why because it is actually better for the game and competition. So if it is good for competition I don't know why it is so bad for 4v4s since competition is 4v4. In other words I suggest you figure out what is really good for sprint to be in, instead of being stuck on the fact of why you want sprint to be so bad. That is in yours and a few peoples head that you just can't get over it. Not my fault, and I enjoy it!
This is atleast the best attempt at argueing for sprint.

How so? It doesn't add anything new. It's the same sprint arguments since Halo 4.

Turn it on/off depending on game mode:
There is no problem at all with being able to sprint in Campaign which is an enormous chunk of what Halo has to offer. Sprint does nothing but enrich the Campaign experience. There is no problem with sprinting in BTB either.

Sprint helps me get places faster:
A lot of people say that sprint isn't actually getting you anywhere faster. I don't think this is necessarily true. Sure, maps grow to compensate but I'm still choosing when I need that boost of speed to make it to cover in time.

Because immersion/power of illusion:
Even if the end result is the same and I still die, it feels like I had more power to do something about it.

Variety:
Did he sprint out or walk out? The difference is huge and creates more variables.
It's all the same stuff we've heard and debunked before.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Apparently sprint doesn't hurt 4v4s as much as you want it to, and it must add more to the game that you can't handle. As MLG or HCS any really big gaming competition likes to leave sprint in the game and will keep it in the game for Halo 5. Why because it is actually better for the game and competition. So if it is good for competition I don't know why it is so bad for 4v4s since competition is 4v4. In other words I suggest you figure out what is really good for sprint to be in, instead of being stuck on the fact of why you want sprint to be so bad. That is in yours and a few peoples head that you just can't get over it. Not my fault, and I enjoy it!
You mean like how the latest version of the MLG maps in Reach has removed sprint?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12