2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
Just going to say I like sprint in Halo. I always thought not being able to held halo back some. I have been playing since Halo 2. Spartans super soldiers of the future should have abilities, especially a natural one like sprint. You see master chief sprint in the cut scenes so you should be able to in the game. I don't see why people seem to think a super soldier should only be able to walk, crouch, jump and trigger pull. Heck Mario on original Nintendo could even sprint. So you could do more with your character on a Nintendo game than with a Spartan on xbox and Xbox 360
OP be honest you only want sprint to run away. Why else would you need sprint? Without sprint you cannot run away and face death. With sprint you can easily run away from being under fire. On Halo 5 beta I can easily out run players and go in and out via sprint I call it -Yoink!- statics but it works well if executed right.
Richnj wrote:
Nicely illustrated pro-sprint argument. You really hit the nail on the head when you said that they have to find a healthy balance that works for small arena multiplayer and larger games/campaign. 343 has said the same thing in the past as well. I think a lot of people forget that Halo isn't just 4v4 multiplayer, that's just one of the many things that Halo has to offer. Sprint may not be ideal for that small arena combat, but it doesn't not work.

Obviously, we have yet to see how all these abilities play out in larger game modes and campaign, but odds are I won't have to spend two minutes jogging across Coagulation just to get sniped when I reach the other side*.

*Anybody who enjoys this situation is nothing short of masochistic.
So now you can sprint across and get sniped every minute instead?

If you are walking across the map on your own with no communication or teamwork, of course you were going to end up dead. Sprint will do nothing but speed up that process.
Isn't that what I just said? If I'm going to get sniped either way, I'd rather get there faster and get it over with. Too often in Big Team, my teammates just hang out at the base and don't play the objective, leaving me to "walk across the map on my own with no communication or teamwork". I'm not about to feel bad for being the only person on my team playing the game correctly.
I agree. Sprint is much needed and fit seamlessly into Halo 4.
Sprint is here to stay and I'm fine with that
i believe sprint is just what people want because we have more children on adderall and want fast pace games then patient games.
MEH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sprint is not the only way to make the game play faster or to even make a player move faster.

Sprint is not the answer in Halo because it does not mesh well with Halo's long kill times.
Why choose Sprint when you can have BOOST mobile, I always say. Just make it so that you can gain momentum when holding forward after a period of time.
JBro08 wrote:
Sprint fit seamlessly into Halo 4.

0_0
MCC Graham wrote:
Sprint is not the only way to make the game play faster or to even make a player move faster.

Sprint is not the answer in Halo because it does not mesh well with Halo's long kill times.
^ This. In fact, H5's weapons were purposefully designed to kill faster because of sprint (and thruster to an extent as well). And smart scope was slapped on every weapon to give them all a range boost as a result of maps getting stretched from sprint.

It's a vicious cycle of one mechanic, all for the sake of "immersion".
I dont care what they do with it in the core game. As long as it stays in infection and Halo keeps Hipfire I am fine

Sprint is not necessary, but it's also not the Hitler of gameplay that all of the classic fanboys like to claim it to be.

(Jetpacks would also be nice to have back in Custom Games/Forge....just throwing that out there)
I think the only reason people want sprint is because every other game has it. If only half of popular shooters out there had sprint, people would realize quickly that it damages Halo's gameplay much more than it helps it. But they all have it, and gamers have become uncomfortable playing a game without it, so now it's in Halo.
MCC Graham wrote:

^ This. In fact, H5's weapons were purposefully designed to kill faster because of sprint (and thruster to an extent as well). And smart scope was slapped on every weapon to give them all a range boost as a result of maps getting stretched from sprint.

You are listing changes, but what exactly makes them vicious? Because the automatic are now useful? Because it's different from how it's been until now? Where is the problem?

Different =/= Worse
Others prefer these changes. Some loathe them. It all comes down to preference. 343i prefers the modern version. You do not. Does that make the changes objectively worse?
No.
MCC Graham wrote:

You are listing changes, but what exactly makes them vicious? Because the automatic are now useful? Because it's different from how it's been until now? Where is the problem?

Different =/= Worse
Others prefer these changes. Some loathe them. It all comes down to preference. 343i prefers the modern version. You do not. Does that make the changes objectively worse?
No.
We can argue over if it's worse. It definitely makes it more unbalanced, and that's worse for me

EDIT: Oh and those changes aren't just "changes". They aren't added in for the sake of being different. What matchstickman is trying to say is that these "changes" were implemented in order to compensate for sprint, and I think that's also worse. Because that which must be compensated for this much, just shouldn't be in the game
Sprinting fits perfect with Halo.
I just can't see anything Sprint does that wouldn't be done better with a faster base movement speed.
immersion
MCC Graham wrote:

Different =/= Worse
No.
Sprint is the root of several branching problems. 343 has attempted to bury those problems through unnecessary changes that affect the game's balance.

Because people could get away faster and more easily, weapons weren't killing players before they could flee. As a result, weapons had to be buffed to kill players fast enough before they could get away.

Sprint also requires maps to be stretched so that players aren't running into each other every 2 seconds. As a result, sightlines grew longer, and weapons that were limited to closer ranges were even more limited. So every weapon was given smart scope, with some receiving an accuracy boost to further benefit them at longer ranges. I'll admit that full autos needed to be buffed, but 343 didn't buff the full autos to benefit the weapons, they did it so sprint's effects on map size, and by extension, weapon balance, didn't seem so severe.
nekrulz wrote:
I just can't see anything Sprint does that wouldn't be done better with a faster base movement speed.
immersion
Feeling used to a game mechanic just because every other game has it =/= immersion
MCC Graham wrote:

We can argue over if it's worse. It definitely makes it more unbalanced, and that's worse for me

EDIT: Oh and those changes aren't just "changes". They aren't added in for the sake of being different. What matchstickman is trying to say is that these "changes" were implemented in order to compensate for sprint, and I think that's also worse. Because that which must be compensated for this much, just shouldn't be in the game
I don't get what you're trying to say. What you describe is the very core of designing a game. Create systems that compliment each other and get a working whole as a result. If you add something and it ultimately doesn't affect anything else, that means the change was irrelevant and useless to begin with.
MCC Graham wrote:

I don't get what you're trying to say. What you describe is the very core of designing a game. Create systems that compliment each other and get a working whole as a result. If you add something and it ultimately doesn't affect anything else, that means the change was irrelevant and useless to begin with.
They don't compliment each other. Having to expand the lines of sight on maps to compensate for sprint doesn't compliment it. Buffing automatic weapons' range doesn't compliment the maps, it's compensating for them. Combine this with the fast kill times, players are encouraged to rely on their team mates for success which leads to defensive gameplay, breaking up the flow of gameplay even more than the shield recharge (which is also compensating for sprint). Stuff like ground pound is used to compensate and encourage more offensive gameplay but that just ends up adding to the already high height advantage.
All these things break gameplay. This is what it looks like when you overcompensate for a bad gameplay mechanic. Nowhere do they compliment each other.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12