Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

My Thoughts on Halo 5: Guardians

OP JustAlex1997

While I briefly got to play Halo 5: Guardians back in 2015, I didn't get an Xbox One until 2018, and I didn't buy Halo 5: Guardians until earlier this month. Playing through the campaign on Normal, Easy for the par times, and Legendary, I've decided to go over what I liked and disliked about the campaign. Feel free to leave your own thoughts below.

Pros:
  • With a silky smooth 60fps that never seems to noticeably drop, the gameplay is always incredibly responsive
  • The visuals, especially in regards to faces and the behavior of water, are impressive
  • The combination of the various Spartan Abilities leads to exciting combat scenarios
  • The ability to order your Spartan allies to pick up better weapons, etc., is helpful and convenient
  • Skulls, intel, and special weapons are nice things to hunt for
  • The music fits the Halo franchise better than that heard in Halo 4
Cons:
  • The game randomly freezes for several seconds without noticeable cause
  • Poor decisions with the artstyle and color pallet impacts visibility (enemies blending into backgrounds, blinding lights...)
  • Spartan Abilities lead to stretched, empty environments and prevent the game from standing out from its competition
  • Filler missions where players are only tasked with speaking to one or two characters
  • Repeated mission themes (such as multiple Sanghelios missions) hurt visual variety
  • Questionable Spartan AI which can occasionally get the player killed
  • Lack of local splitscreen which, as such, locks better allies behind a yearly paywall
  • Intel is used as a crutch for the game's story which, on its own, significantly lacks character/world development
  • Halo 4/Spartan Ops' more interesting plot points are quickly abandoned without much closure
  • Returning characters aren't written as well as in previous games, and Exuberant Witness is the only new character I like
  • The music still doesn't sound that much like Halo music
  • Unfair game design on higher difficulties which tests endurance instead of skill
I didn't like the campain. The only good thing was the battle vs the 3 wardens😆
You liked the battle against the Wardens?
Some of the missions were good. Swords of sanghelios and blue team are two of the best missions in all Halo games. They did a good job with sanghelios over all. But I HATED having to tell "super soldiers" Spartans to pick up better weapons... They should know to do that already.
LethalQ wrote:
Some of the missions were good. Swords of sanghelios and blue team are two of the best missions in all Halo games. They did a good job with sanghelios over all. But I HATED having to tell "super soldiers" Spartans to pick up better weapons... They should know to do that already.
I didn't mind it as I knew what weapons they were going into battle with. It made things easier to manage in terms of who's my sniper, who's my explosives guy/girl, etc..
You liked the battle against the Wardens?
Yes because it was one of the hardest things on my first day of H5 . I was playing it with a friend and we have to stop trying it and finish campaign next day😆
LethalQ wrote:
I didn't mind it as I knew what weapons they were going into battle with. It made things easier to manage in terms of who's my sniper, who's my explosives guy/girl, etc..
I can understand that but when a Spartan is standing there with a plasma pistol and there is like a light rifle or carbine right at there feet they should automatically which to better weapons.
The only part you liked out of the entire campaign was shooting three bullet sponges?
The only part you liked out of the entire campaign was shooting three bullet sponges?
I think they were hard to kill in first day H5, but when I did it solo some months latter I kill them in second try. The point is that the mission give me some nostalgia (because I play it with my roomies and we suffer for kill them)
I think they were hard to kill in first day H5, but when I did it solo some months latter I kill them in second try. The point is that the mission give me some nostalgia (because I play it with my roomies and we suffer for kill them)
They were borderline impossible haha. When I ran through it on legendary, I just did the jump out of there to skip it after trying (and failing) for hours on end.