My unpopular opinions about Halo 5

OP S2N LORDFIST

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
Ah, Halo 5, a Halo game that is so wrapped in controversy.
Halo 5 gets so much flak for the things that I think it does exceptionally well.
One of things is the way the game plays. I have been a Halo fan from the early months and years of Halo Combat Evolved and I love the new style of Halo's gameplay mechanics that were introduced in Halo 5.
Smart-Link
The smart-link on all the weapons was one of the best ideas ever and no, this is not a troll post. I really like how I can actually zoom with my assault rifle and not just shoot from the hip like I'm some late 80's early 90's action movie star. I have always hated how we as Spartans just shoot from the hips but you see the marines aim down their weapons like any other logical human being. Yes, I know this ability is getting a ton of flak because it increases accuracy to automatics, and I am just plain dumbfounded as to why this is a problem. Modern weapons and weapons in general no matter if they are Automatic, Semi Automatic, or even Burst Fire they always are more accurate when the user is aiming down the sights of said gun and or using an optic as well as using a foregrip attachment to help reduce recoil. The fact that Halo has recoil on it's weapons doesn't even make sense with the fiction of the Spartan mjolnir armor. The fact that there is a "ADS' feature in Halo, it makes absolute sense as to why weapons are more accurate by using this feature. I can understand it being tweaked to where the Smart-Link feature (Which has been in every Halo, mind you) would increase the accuracy of the automatic weapons don't have so much benefit to this being used but still having a benefit because it makes a ton of sense.
Sprint
Sprint is also another of the very best things to be introduced to Halo. And the way it was handled in Halo 5 was just perfect. Sprint definitely belongs in Halo. Yes, I just said that. Sprint makes sense with the way the Spartans are being super fast and super strong. Also it positively impacts the Halo gameplay experience. I have always been bugged by the fast walk that has been in every Halo up to Halo Reach. And making sprint a permanent and unlimited ability in Halo 5 is just flat out amazing. I love being able to run and chase after someone.
Spartan Abilities (Aside from sprint and smart-link)
Once I heard that Halo 5 was going to have all new abilities like slide, spartan charge, ground pound, stabilize, clamber, and thrust boosting I literally jumped for joy because it was some of best news regarding Halo I have ever heard.
Slide
Being able to run at full speed and slide into cover is such an amazing tool. I love when I can run after someone and quickly slide behind something or even under something to dodge enemy fire. And lets not forget that sliding is just a ton of fun to do.
Spartan Charge
Aside from sliding Spartan Charge is another one of those things that is just a lot of fun to use and it makes getting to places faster as well. I love the aspect of having a charge ability where some of the terrain is breakable and being able to just slam right through the wall like the Kool-Aid man nad really mess up the enemy team. Also being able to run after an enemy with full speed and just slam them is a ton of fun. I can kind of understand how this can be a bit over powered but I want it to stay no matter what especially if Halo is going to start having destructible environments. There are some times where I miss running into someones back at top speed and tackling them to the ground for an assassination, that is the only thing I don't like the Spartan Charge for.
Ground Pound
Ground pound is such a great addition to Halo because it helps make those trick jumps for one thing and killing people from above all the more satisfying. I love being up high somewhere and seeing an enemy below me and pulling off a Batman Style take down on that poor soul.
Stabilize
Like how ground pound can benefit the parkour aspect of Halo making trick jumps easy, so does being able to stabilize while using smart-link. Stabilize is a really cool feature because it can really benefit the player playing on a map like Guardian from Halo 3 which has been remade in Halo 5 with forge. The area I'm talking about is where the sniper file spawns. I remember getting the sniper rifle and jumping up and down to get a view of the area above me and the area underneath where the gravity hammer is. Stabilize helps me hover with enough time to really poke my head out and a take good view and even kill someone who is in the middle of the map or on the opposite side of me.Stabilizing also helps a player who is unfortunately falling to their death and getting one final kill before they hit that kill barrier.
Clamber
Oh man, Clamber. This has to be one of the things I wish was in Halo from the start and I can't believe it took this long to be an ability. I love being able to vault over objects and clamber onto walls to help me get a better vantage point over my enemy. Like Ground Pound and Stabilize, Clamber helps aid in the whole parkour aspect of the game. And I love how I can be able to climb over objects instead of just jumping a million feet high over anything in my way.
Thrust Boosting
Having the ability to boost side to side backward or forwards was a really good addition to the game. The thruster pack armor ability in Halo 4 was a very fun one to use. It too made getting to point a to point b so much easier and better to use. It also benefits and complements the flag carrier in CTF. Having the ability to thrust forward to get that extra bit of movement makes the game go by faster and makes the overall experience a lot more fun.
Summary
I think these additions to Halo 5's gameplay mechanics and the Halo sandbox in general is very good step in the right direction. Halo 5's multiplayer is one of the best in the series. I hate how much attention the people who love to just hate on the new movement system and these new features get when there are those of use who wish Halo would be like this forever. To be quite honest I kind of hate going back to play Old Halo games because this system isn't in those games. I wish 343i could just release a patch update to all the old Halo games and have a toggle option to this new movement system for those of use like me who love the new system and gameplay style. I am very much a fan of first person shooters and have played many games to know what works in each ones and what features would be good to add to Halo 5. These new features complement the Halo experience for me the gamer and when I watch other people play Halo.
I really dislike pro-gaming in general so I honestly don't care about what is going on in the Halo World Champion Series or any pro-gaming that is out there. I hate how pro-gamers are the ones who shape the way a game is formed or ends up. I am very much a casual gamer and I love these new additions. They feel like they have belonged in Halo since the beginning and they complement the overall feel of the game. Halo 5's gameplay feels very much like Halo and it all makes sense with the way the Spartans are supposed to act. I in fact do not want classic Halo to ever return.
THESE FEATURES NEED TO STAY FOR EVERY FUTURE HALO FPS TITLES
Those are definitely some unpopular opinions. I agree with them
Thanks, it's not every day that you find people within the Halo community who agrees with these, outside of my brother. I'm just so fed up with how the people who want Halo to be classic Halo are getting all the attention and I'm over here like " But I like the new stuff." Halo 5 is really one of my favorite Halo games, for the gameplay and it's multiplayer. I hope Halo 6 is like Halo 5 and Halo 3 combined with good campaign and wicked awesome multiplayer.
The biggest message to send is: "Lore shouldn't dictate gameplay"

You basically said it yourself. Normally Spartans wouldn't be affected by recoil whatsoever, yet we have it in the game. Why? For gameplay purposes. Imagine if the SMG had zero recoil. It'd be a pretty unbalanced game.

Sprint is also another of the very best things to be introduced to Halo. And the way it was handled in Halo 5 was just perfect. Sprint definitely belongs in Halo. Yes, I just said that. Sprint makes sense with the way the Spartans are being super fast and super strong. Also it positively impacts the Halo gameplay experience. I have always been bugged by the fast walk that has been in every Halo up to Halo Reach. And making sprint a permanent and unlimited ability in Halo 5 is just flat out amazing. I love being able to run and chase after someone.
Spartans can be fast without having to Sprint. You're not going any faster than in previous Halo games, it just looks like you are because maps are bigger and you're swinging your arms more. If Spartans are supposed to be super fast and super strong, why are they incapable of running and shooting at the same time like before? You can clearly go very fast without Sprint, the fact that Speed Boost exists in Halo 5 contradicts the Sprint "feeling" entirely.

Sprint doesn't positively impact the gameplay experience. The biggest problem with Sprint is that you have more than one mode of transportation now. A slower one for shooting, and a faster one for moving.

The problem is, too many things are changed to accommodate for the faster one, making you move even slower when you're not using the faster one.

Guns have higher accuracy and range to keep up with your now faster moving targets and larger maps. But what if they aren't sprinting and instead fighting back? Now you're using two really accurate guns because you're moving too slow.

Sprint is like the inverse of saying "Every time you want to shoot, your gun suddenly becomes a turret and you have to use the turret speed while shooting." See how that would suck?

And this is only one aspect of Sprint, moving from Point A to Point B. It goes much farther than that, but that's for a different comment.

Spartan ChargeAside from sliding Spartan Charge is another one of those things that is just a lot of fun to use and it makes getting to places faster as well. I love the aspect of having a charge ability where some of the terrain is breakable and being able to just slam right through the wall like the Kool-Aid man nad really mess up the enemy team. Also being able to run after an enemy with full speed and just slam them is a ton of fun. I can kind of understand how this can be a bit over powered but I want it to stay no matter what especially if Halo is going to start having destructible environments. There are some times where I miss running into someones back at top speed and tackling them to the ground for an assassination, that is the only thing I don't like the Spartan Charge for.
The whole point Spartan Charge is in the game is because of the double melee problem in Halo Reach and Halo 4. You can chalk that up to another flaw of Sprint that had to be "patched".

Spartan Charge is good for destructible environments, but it carries way too much tracking right now towards other players to be considered a positive, hidding people around corners, curving where it shouldn't, or hitting people above you.

ClamberOh man, Clamber. This has to be one of the things I wish was in Halo from the start and I can't believe it took this long to be an ability. I love being able to vault over objects and clamber onto walls to help me get a better vantage point over my enemy. Like Ground Pound and Stabilize, Clamber helps aid in the whole parkour aspect of the game. And I love how I can be able to climb over objects instead of just jumping a million feet high over anything in my way.
Clamber has roughly the same problems as Sprint, and adding it didn't really add much to the game. It forces maps to be slightly too high for you so you can use Clamber to begin with, when before you were just able to jump on the ledge without issue.

I hate how much attention the people who love to just hate on the new movement system and these new features get when there are those of use who wish Halo would be like this forever.
Because the older system wasn't flawed in a way that Sprint was needed in Halo to begin with. The phrase "Don't fix what isn't broken" can be shoved in tenfold to this situation ever since Reach.

I really dislike pro-gaming in general so I honestly don't care about what is going on in the Halo World Champion Series or any pro-gaming that is out there. I hate how pro-gamers are the ones who shape the way a game is formed or ends up.
But you said you watch other people play Halo...?

I really dislike when people say this, because if you actually look, the competitive community hasn't really been listened to since Halo 3, and arguably all the way back since Halo 2.

Halo 3 MLG had to make their own playlist with a different sandbox and different settings because the current one was too slow, and the FOV didn't make it any better.

Halo Reach's competitive community was isolated to one playlist, The Arena. Eventually they ended up getting No Sprint No Bloom, but it was far too late.

Halo 4 didn't have ranks _period._ That was added in way later and it didn't work as it should.

Halo 5 came in with ranks, but for some reason they're trying to tie casual settings and competitive settings together, and no one ever listens to the competitive players until very recently. Look at most of the updates Halo 5 has received. Most of them were social updates or to benefit the casual community. If anything, They were the ones who shaped Halo 5.

Pretty much everything you've said can be summed down to you wanting a good aesthetic over actual gameplay.
When H5 first released I probably would have said that OP is crazy for thinking any of those are good things, but they've all grown on me. I do think that if they hadn't implemented changes like these then the franchise would get stale. There needs to be new mechanics of some sort in each new release in order for people to want to buy and continue to play it. H5 may be faster paced than any of the previous Halos, but it still feels like a Halo game.

The one change that took me the longest to get used to in H5, although it's not on your list, was the change from 25m radar to 18m. Everyone is moving faster and you can't see them coming from as far on radar. That was a struggle for the first few months.
Unpopular opinions that I do not agree with.First the reason people don't really like smart link is because it wasn't necessary and automatic weapons are close to mid range weapons and have a little too much range.....and don't even get me started on how gimmicky and dumb spartan charge is
And one more thing,you say these things need to stay,but ever since reach almost every change to any kind of mechanic has been majorly despised and has driven away thousands of people....checked today and halo 5 is 21 on the most played list so idk if those things are working
While I'm not a big fan of sprint I do like the thrusters. Also not to much of a clamber fan because everything is now to high. As far as smartlink goes I think some things should have it like the magnum, br, dmr etc but autos and swords shouldn't.

Overall though halo 5 was a big step in the right direction in imo and while it's totally different it kept a lot of what made halo halo. I'm also rly glad everyone has equal starts and u have to fight for power weapons unlike reach and 4.
No, all of these..."features" need to be REMOVED. They are nothing but imitations and confirmatory changes for Halo to blend in to other fps games. They add very little whilst having a lot of negatives. Clearly the trend is that the people who do not understand the effects of these "features" like them, whilst those who do understand their impacts want them gone. I've explained these impacts time and time again, but i'll be brief.

Smart link increases accuracy for weapons, the original zoom does not. Zoom worked perfectly fine, and for your "lore" Zoom was technically the same as smart link, except it was not ADS and accuracy increasing.

Sprint: In the lore, spartans can shoot sprint and slide all at the same time. So no, your point here is invalid, lore should never dictate gameplay. For gameplay purposes in Halo, a singular movement speed is optimum for efficient and non-repetitive map design and gameplay. Furthermore, on a gameplay note, it forces map design to be more stretched out or else sprint would be "OP" like in Reach or 4, thus ruining gameplay further. It also dampens the effect of poor positioning. You say it "definitely" belongs in Halo, without understanding anything about it? No surprises here.

Clamber: Only players who were unable to skill jump in previous Halos enjoy this feature. Clamber removes skill jumps thus effecting map design, as you have to compensate for players being able to clamber up walls, leading to a lot of maps having lots of closed up sections (ahem, plaza).

Spartan charge: No positives, must go, plain and simple.

Thruster pack: Makes grenades far too easy to dodge. Adds a crutch for failing jumps and avoiding death. Also, like sprint, reduces the impact of being in a poor position.

Slide: Again, reduces impact of poor positioning/poor sprint timing by allowing you to slide into cover.

Ground pound: You say you like it because it helps with trick jumps? Again, compensating for skill. Getting easy kills from above as well? So you like it because it makes the game easier? No surprise there.

Most of you should be seeing a trend here already, many of these "features" compensate for skill or make aspects of the game easier, whilst detracting from map design and gameplay.

Finally, if you "hate" going back to the old halo games, why are you a halo fan? So you want 343 to shaft all of us Day one/Classic fans, who made Halo great through LAN parties back in C.E, and instead cater to new players who hate the Classic halo, and want a "fast and easy" one? No. You lot have had 3 Halo games, that were all unsuccessful with "new movement". The classic formula never failed, the "new" one on the other hand, has. If you want enhanced movement, go play something else. Halo has always been fast, there is a thread proving this through the use of MLG matches from H2/3 compared to Halo 5. It was found that Halo 5 MLG matches were slower, even though the scoring margins were larger. I also laugh at how you "hate pro gamers" i sense some jealousy there. It was these "pro gamers" who tested and ensured sprint was refined and balanced so it would not break Halo 5, but you would not understand that. You like to point at others and call them haters, yet in your OP you clearly hate on pros and classic fans, and only want halo to suit YOU because you find it easy now, yet you do not understand the impacts and all of the changes that had to be made to accommodate these "features".
Thanks, it's not every day that you find people within the Halo community who agrees with these, outside of my brother. I'm just so fed up with how the people who want Halo to be classic Halo are getting all the attention and I'm over here like " But I like the new stuff." Halo 5 is really one of my favorite Halo games, for the gameplay and it's multiplayer. I hope Halo 6 is like Halo 5 and Halo 3 combined with good campaign and wicked awesome multiplayer.
I honestly didn't enjoy the "classic" halo multiplayer. It was too slow and boring for me
I honestly didn't enjoy the "classic" halo multiplayer. It was too slow and boring for me
Halo CE still remains the fastest game in the series. Simply adding Sprint doesn't make the game faster or less boring.
No, all of these..."features" need to be REMOVED. They are nothing but imitations and confirmatory changes for Halo to blend in to other fps games. They add very little whilst having a lot of negatives. Clearly the trend is that the people who do not understand the effects of these "features" like them, whilst those who do understand their impacts want them gone. I've explained these impacts time and time again, but i'll be brief.

Smart link increases accuracy for weapons, the original zoom does not. Zoom worked perfectly fine, and for your "lore" Zoom was technically the same as smart link, except it was not ADS and accuracy increasing.

Sprint: In the lore, spartans can shoot sprint and slide all at the same time. So no, your point here is invalid, lore should never dictate gameplay. For gameplay purposes in Halo, a singular movement speed is optimum for efficient and non-repetitive map design and gameplay. Furthermore, on a gameplay note, it forces map design to be more stretched out or else sprint would be "OP" like in Reach or 4, thus ruining gameplay further. It also dampens the effect of poor positioning. You say it "definitely" belongs in Halo, without understanding anything about it? No surprises here.

Clamber: Only players who were unable to skill jump in previous Halos enjoy this feature. Clamber removes skill jumps thus effecting map design, as you have to compensate for players being able to clamber up walls, leading to a lot of maps having lots of closed up sections (ahem, plaza).

Thruster pack: Makes grenades far too easy to dodge. Adds a crutch for failing jumps and avoiding death. Also, like sprint, reduces the impact of being in a poor position.

Slide: Again, reduces impact of poor positioning/poor sprint timing by allowing you to slide into cover.

Ground pound: You say you like it because it helps with trick jumps? Again, compensating for skill. Getting easy kills from above as well? So you like it because it makes the game easier? No surprise there.

Most of you should be seeing a trend here already, many of these "features" compensate for skill or make aspects of the game easier, whilst detracting from map design and gameplay.

Finally, if you "hate" going back to the old halo games, why are you a halo fan? So you want 343 to shaft all of us Day one/Classic fans, who made Halo great through LAN parties back in C.E, and instead cater to new players who hate the Classic halo, and want a "fast and easy" one? No. You lot have had 3 Halo games, that were all unsuccessful with "new movement". The classic formula never failed, the "new" one on the other hand, has. If you want enhanced movement, go play something else. Halo has always been fast, there is a thread proving this through the use of MLG matches from H2/3 compared to Halo 5. It was found that Halo 5 MLG matches were slower, even though the scoring margins were larger. I also laugh at how you "hate pro gamers" i sense some jealousy there. It was these "pro gamers" who tested and ensured sprint was refined and balanced so it would not break Halo 5, but you would not understand that. You like to point at others and call them haters, yet in your OP you clearly hate on pros and classic fans, and only want halo to suit YOU because you find it easy now, yet you do not understand the impacts and all of the changes that had to be made to accommodate these "features".
I get that your point is that the new features make everything "easy," but it comes off like you're just not good at using the new features and so you think they should be removed. As I mentioned previously: if they keep making the same Halo game over and over then people will get bored and stop buying the new games. So there's really no incentive for 343i to keep everything the same as in H1.
I get that your point is that the new features make everything "easy," but it comes off like you're just not good at using the new features and so you think they should be removed. As I mentioned previously: if they keep making the same Halo game over and over then people will get bored and stop buying the new games. So there's really no incentive for 343i to keep everything the same as in H1.
Who said they should be making the same game over and over again? Halo 2 isn't the same game as Halo CE and Halo 3 isn't the same game as Halo 2. They made new mechanics that either worked or didn't work. They took a huge direction change in Reach, doubled down on it in 4, and we're only just now trying to revert those changes in Halo 5, but can never commit to it.

All we're asking for is a game built off of Halo CE-3's mechanics. Not Halo Reach & 4's mechanics.

Who said they should be making the same game over and over again? Halo 2 isn't the same game as Halo CE and Halo 3 isn't the same game as Halo 2. They made new mechanics that either worked or didn't work. They took a huge direction change in Reach, doubled down on it in 4, and we're only just now trying to revert those changes in Halo 5, but can never commit to it.

All we're asking for is a game built off of Halo CE-3's mechanics. Not Halo Reach & 4's mechanics.
I still don't see a reason to change H5 to be more like CE-3. If you like those games more then you can play them. Instead of changing H5's mechanics maybe they should just fix MCC for the people who want to play the older games. I'm not saying that the new mechanics are better than the old ones, but they work in their own way which is what makes each game unique.
snip
Halo CE still remains the fastest game in the series. Simply adding Sprint doesn't make the game faster or less boring.
It never felt fast, though. It always felt i was at a slow jog. Future Halo games don't have to be a twitch shooter like cod but for the game to keep me playing the multiplayer it has to remain a level of speed around Halo Reach. Other wise, I guess I'll wait until the price reduces so I can play the Campaign.
snip
It never felt fast, though. It always felt i was at a slow jog. Future Halo games don't have to be a twitch shooter like cod but for the game to keep me playing the multiplayer it has to remain a level of speed around Halo Reach. Other wise, I guess I'll wait until the price reduces so I can play the Campaign.
The fact is, you don't need Sprint to be fast. All it does is puts your gun down while swinging your arms more. If you want to go faster, just make the movement speed faster.

The fact that the Speed Boost power up exists in Halo 5 contradicts that idea entirely. If I equip one, I can "walk" as fast as you can Sprint. Give me 3, and I blow you out of the water.

The game can make you move as fast as it wants. Look at DOOM's Campaign and see how fast you go through rooms, all without a Sprint mechanic.
snip
The fact is, you don't need Sprint to be fast. All it does is puts your gun down while swinging your arms more. If you want to go faster, just make the movement speed faster.

The fact that the Speed Boost power up exists in Halo 5 contradicts that idea entirely. If I equip one, I can "walk" as fast as you can Sprint. Give me 3, and I blow you out of the water.

The game can make you move as fast as it wants. Look at DOOM's Campaign and see how fast you go through rooms, all without a Sprint mechanic.
But sprinting adds another layer of complexity to the game. You have to choose whether you want to move faster or be more ready to get into a firefight with an enemy. It just makes for there to be more variability among play styles. For me personally, I don't use sprint at all in SWAT, but I use it just as much as anyone else in the other gametypes. You just have to choose when is a good time to sprint and when isn't.

I still don't see a reason to change H5 to be more like CE-3. If you like those games more then you can play them. Instead of changing H5's mechanics maybe they should just fix MCC for the people who want to play the older games. I'm not saying that the new mechanics are better than the old ones, but they work in their own way which is what makes each game unique.
You've just admitted that MCC doesn't work, but you're telling me to go play it anyway for the older games...

I just said that we're not asking to play the same game over and over again. We're expecting a natural expansion of those mechanics into a new game.

Halo 5's mechanics doesn't work in its own way. That's why we have so many problems as it is.

• That's why we're going through a Proving Grounds playlist and changing the radar's size and function because of Sprint
  • That's why we're going through a huge HCS test playlist.
  • That's why maps are bigger and Spartans are slower because of Sprint
  • That's why precision weapons have way higher accuracy and range
This can really go on and on.

The whole point Halo 5 is even liked as much as it is is because we're going closer to Halo CE-3 and not Halo Reach & 4.
snip

But sprinting adds another layer of complexity to the game. You have to choose whether you want to move faster or be more ready to get into a firefight with an enemy. It just makes for there to be more variability among play styles. For me personally, I don't use sprint at all in SWAT, but I use it just as much as anyone else in the other gametypes. You just have to choose when is a good time to sprint and when isn't.
The simple fact that you have to choose whether to move or to shoot hurts Halo as an Arena shooter.

Moving is just one aspect of Sprint: Moving from point A to point B.

Shooting is equally important. If you're sprinting, you can't shoot. You have to Sprint to keep up with people who are also Sprinting and slow down to shoot them, so you're basically playing this game of cat and mouse in a firefight that involves sprinting.

Yes there is more than one mode of transportation, but the problem is, too many things are changed to accommodate for the faster one, making you move even slower when you're not using the faster one. That's why we're making so many changes like the radar size and radar's ability, or Spartan Charge to counter double melee. It's a bunch of bandages just to try and make Sprint work.

Guns have higher accuracy and range to keep up with your now faster moving targets and larger maps. But what if they aren't sprinting and instead fighting back? Now you're using two really accurate guns because you're moving too slow.

Sprint is like the inverse of going to Halo 3 and saying "Every time you want to shoot, your gun suddenly becomes a turret and you have to use the turret speed while shooting." See how that would suck?

You've just admitted that MCC doesn't work, but you're telling me to go play it anyway for the older games...

I just said that we're not asking to play the same game over and over again. We're expecting a natural expansion of those mechanics into a new game.

Halo 5's mechanics doesn't work in its own way. That's why we have so many problems as it is.

• That's why we're going through a Proving Grounds playlist and changing the radar's size and function because of Sprint
  • That's why we're going through a huge HCS test playlist.
  • That's why maps are bigger and Spartans are slower because of Sprint
  • That's why precision weapons have way higher accuracy and range
This can really go on and on.

The whole point Halo 5 is even liked as much as it is is because we're going closer to Halo CE-3 and not Halo Reach & 4.
It makes much more sense to fix MCC and make it how it was supposed to be rather than changing H5 into something it was never meant to be.
And maybe if they stop trying to change things, and instead just leave them how they are, then people will get used to the mechanics of H5 like most of us have.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5